• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul15| Sentai finally noticed us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Did they specifically say "Chiller" or just "Anime Wednesdays"? But yeah, not a good sign if anyone at the booth knew about it considering this is the 2nd week. & as mentioned, no mention on their social media.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The only person who might know about it is whomever handles promotion for Tokyo Ghoul. The Chiller block is literally, hey, don't like these shows? Watch Tokyo Ghoul instead!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So I know I'll be told to check out Hunter x Hunter. I checked out Sket Dance & Saiki Kusuo no Sainan because of J-Stars & thinking of HxH & possibly Beelzebub. Any other stands outs? I already read/watch Jojo, One Piece, Bo-Bobo, Medaka Box, & such.

So I know I'll be told to check out Hunter x Hunter. I checked out Sket Dance & Saiki Kusuo no Sainan because of J-Stars & thinking of HxH & possibly Beelzebub. Any other stands outs? I already read/watch Jojo, One Piece, Bo-Bobo, Medaka Box, & such.

Hunter x Hunter, Yu Yu Hakusho, Fist of the North Star, Gintama

Also two newer Jump series with no reps are Shokugeki no Soma and My Hero Academia, check those out, they are good

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I should check out My Hero Academy while it's still rather new so I can catch up sooner than later.

I checked out/caught up with Shokugeki no Soma, I've seen the Fist of the North Star OVA (which I keep wishing could air on Toonami), & I have the first 6 volumes of Gintama and would love to check the anime out but I'm so far behind it's hard to motivate myself to get back in.

I'd rather focus on shorter stuff just so I can read more. Oh, & I've also caught up/read Assassination Classroom. Waiting for S2 to happen.

Anyone wanna vouch on Beelzebub?

Edit: Based on my Twitter (though not related to J-Stars), I should read something called "Goodnight Pun Pun" as well?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oyasumi Punpun is very good but if you are trying to read shonen then do not read it, it's a depressing manga thats very dark and nihilistic in tone
Nah, I don't mind. Sometimes I need a change in pace in terms of anime or manga that I watch/read, i.e. something more mature to break up the sillier stuff I read. Think it helps to have a wide range of genres to keep things fresh.

Part of the reason why Black Lagoon was such a nice change of pace for Toonami and was enjoyable to watch.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Hit up Psyren too. Massively underrated series that never got the anime it deserved. Great ensemble cast, strong female characters, interesting story with a few nice twists, and an interesting powerset. I just wish the ending didn't get rushed due to Jump canning it, even another two months would have been enough to do it justice.

I should check out My Hero Academy while it's still rather new so I can catch up sooner than later.

I checked out/caught up with Shokugeki no Soma, I've seen the Fist of the North Star OVA (which I keep wishing could air on Toonami), & I have the first 6 volumes of Gintama and would love to check the anime out but I'm so far behind it's hard to motivate myself to get back in.

I'd rather focus on shorter stuff just so I can read more. Oh, & I've also caught up/read Assassination Classroom. Waiting for S2 to happen.

Anyone wanna vouch on Beelzebub?

Edit: Based on my Twitter (though not related to J-Stars), I should read something called "Goodnight Pun Pun" as well?

Beelzebub was OK. It had some great comedy at the start, but I found the action to be pretty generic. Oga did get a pretty unique power soon before I dropped it, though. It's probably better in a marathon, but little happens in each chapter when it's serious, which led to me dropping it. The anime is apparently quite bad, changing things for no apparent reason, censoring things, and ending before the end of the manga (which itself ended badly, apparently).

Hit up Psyren too. Massively underrated series that never got the anime it deserved. Great ensemble cast, strong female characters, interesting story with a few nice twists, and an interesting powerset. I just wish the ending didn't get rushed due to Jump canning it, even another two months would have been enough to do it justice.

I'll second Psyren. Another good canceled series is Mx0, which is actually somewhat similar to My Hero Academia, except the latter has real villains. The lack of one is honestly probably what led to Mx0 ending.

Another good series, which I'm not sure you've read, is Demon Detective Neuro, the previous work of the mangaka of Assassination Classroom. The anime is no good, though.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I remember Mx0. It was done by the guy who did Pretty Face and a few other stuff. It's a real shame that every time the manga seems to hit this curve ball of "oh hey it's starting to get interesting again", BAM it gets cancelled/ends. But I guess part of the problem is he has some decent ideas, but they probably don't work as stuff that can last quite a while.

Oh, Neuro is that guy who always appears upside down & loves mysteries because he can "eat" them or something, right? I didn't know the Assassination Classroom guy made that. I've heard of it, but maybe I'll check it out now.

Thanks guys, I think I have enough suggestions to suffice for quite a while.

Line_HTX

Did AssassClass finish dubbing yet? I'm thinking I can get started.

I heard there was a ruthless blonde assassin that could discipline... O////O

I remember Mx0. It was done by the guy who did Pretty Face and a few other stuff. It's a real shame that every time the manga seems to hit this curve ball of "oh hey it's starting to get interesting again", BAM it gets cancelled/ends. But I guess part of the problem is he has some decent ideas, but they probably don't work as stuff that can last quite a while.

Oh, Neuro is that guy who always appears upside down & loves mysteries because he can "eat" them or something, right? I didn't know the Assassination Classroom guy made that. I've heard of it, but maybe I'll check it out now.

Thanks guys, I think I have enough suggestions to suffice for quite a while.

I highly recommend Neuro. Even when it turns into an action series, it goes about it in a very clever way:
instead of Neuro getting stronger as the series goes on, he becomes weaker, and is thus forced to use his special attacks more frequently.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Did AssassClass finish dubbing yet? I'm thinking I can get started.

I heard there was a ruthless blonde assassin that could discipline... O////O
I think so. There was only 22 episodes, which is a bit of a weird amount, but I guess they didn't have enough material for 2 more episodes. I could've sworn this week or last week, the final episode was dubbed & released.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Heard of it, never got around to watching it. Gundam's rabbit hole is just waaaaaaaaaaay too deep and I figured if I tried to watch one, I wouldn't really "fully" appreciate/get it because I didn't watch another Gundam series & such.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Heard of it, never got around to watching it. Gundam's rabbit hole is just waaaaaaaaaaay too deep and I figured if I tried to watch one, I wouldn't really "fully" appreciate/get it because I didn't want another Gundam series & such.

I mean, sure, the nostalgia does add something, but its perfectly watchable on its own as it takes place in a world not too unlike our own where the gundam anime and mecha lines exist. Yes it is a giant toy commercial, the world's greatest toy commercial! It's entirely free and legal on Youtube,

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
How long is it? Maybe I'll give it a watch during an anime season where there's not much else to watch.

Just finally have some free time during weekends & I want to unwind from all the studying/homework/exams/quizzes I've been doing for Calculus during the 2nd half of summer.

GBF is probably the only Gundam series where the kids make it better and not ruin it

How long is it? Maybe I'll give it a watch during an anime season where there's not much else to watch.

Just finally have some free time during weekends & I want to unwind from all the studying/homework/exams/quizzes I've been doing for Calculus during the 2nd half of summer.

26 episodes, there's a continuation called Try that's also 26 episodes but it's not even close to being as good as GBF

Man God

Non-Canon Member
GBF is probably the only Gundam series where the kids make it better and not ruin it

26 episodes, there's a continuation called Try that's also 26 episodes but it's not even close to being as good as GBF

26 episodes of pure joy. Free to all with an internet connection. It saved anime and now it can save hearts and minds of people everywhere.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oyasumi Punpun is very good but if you are trying to read shonen then do not read it, it's a depressing manga thats very dark and nihilistic in tone
I just finished reading 38 chapters.

..............well.............All I can say is "damn"......Sure wasn't expecting that kind of stuff with such designs for our main characters, but thinking about it, it kind of works in a weird way because they look like they were drawn by the minds of an innocent child, so you feel more sorry for them.

I guess if I had to sum my feelings up so far, I feel like this is one of those mangas I "needed" to read. I'm in that confusing, stressful point of life where I don't have much college left but I've got no idea what the future will hold. I said before it helps to read to watch something that's a change of pace & this certainly fits the bill.

I'm very close to putting it in my top 10 manga list just because of the themes it tackles & how it does so.

*phew* I apologize for the off-topicness, but I just wanted to vent a bit with how this manga has affected me with my current status in life.

To get back on topic, kind of surprised next week is the last episode of Kill la Kill. Guess next week is when we'll see Akame ga Kill.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Gonna be an interesting Broadcast Dub season.

We're probably gonna hear about the new shows soon.

3uglmp.gif

Moaradin

Too bad Ushio and Tora wasn't picked up by Funimation. I would have been interested in a broadcast dub for that. Funimation got too many ecchi shows -_-

Also, Kekkei Sensen dub is pretty much caught up with the Japanese version now and the last episode still isn't out lol

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Too bad Ushio and Tora wasn't picked up by Funimation. I would have been interested in a broadcast dub for that. Funimation got too many ecchi shows -_-

Also, Kekkei Sensen dub is pretty much caught up with the Japanese version now and the last episode still isn't out lol

I forget who got Ushio and Tora. Sentai? All I know is whoever got it better bring their a-game. I will cry if it gets fucked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom