• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul15| Sentai finally noticed us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Terminator Genysis....
Yeahhhhhhhh.
It was alright, I'd say wait until VOD for that one.
Arnold was cool and there were some interesting callbacks but it was otherwise largely boring.

Magic Mike XXL was the more interesting and entertaining movie of the two that I saw lol.

ckohler

yz9nuXb.jpg

Just saw an Ippo episode in english. Woof, I'm good with Ippo staying off Toonami if that is what's coming out of the character's mouths.

Yea, some of the voices need redoing.

Date has the voice of lanky nerdy type, Ippo sounds like someone who's used to playing hot-blooded characters and is struggling in the role and only good part of the performances was the announcer and maybe Takamura but damn those battle grunts were underwhelming.

Moaradin

Just saw an Ippo episode in english. Woof, I'm good with Ippo staying off Toonami if that is what's coming out of the character's mouths.

Ippo dub doesn't seem too hot but I never gave it much of a chance really. I heard Ippo and Takamura and said nope. Plus the dub doesn't cover New Challenger or Rising so it was never an option for me.

I've heard from some people that said Ippo dub is alright. Never gave it much of a chance either since I just love the japanese voicing so much and recognize a lot of the VAs for it too.

I've heard from some people that said Ippo dub is alright. Never gave it much of a chance either since I just love the japanese voicing so much and recognize a lot of the VAs for it too.

Did you know that the dude who voices Miyata voices Gilgamesh in the Fate/Whatever adaptations?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Some of the voices work, Aoki and Kimura are fine, Takamura isn't too bad and the coach and Yagi are good, but Ippo himself needs to be recast. If they ever want to show it on TV it needs redoing.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon S: Episode 120

It has been downright bizarre to watch Sailor Moon S slowly attempt to transmogrify itself in order to get back in line with the manga storyline as yet even more elements from said manga show up in this episode as we get the backstory on Hotaru and Professor Tomoe and while they have the basics down pat, the devil is in the details and many details are missing for one reason or another. Continuing along those lines one of the most critical elements missing is finally introduced, what they are calling Mugen Academy nee Infinity Academy is finally established here and once again the basics are here but that is it since in the manga Infinity Academy is very central to the entire arc and probably the element they messed up the most. Speaking of which, with all of these actual story developments and plot advancements happening the Monster of the Week format is feeling very archaic and forced at the moment though here it actually serves a purpose in giving us the final plan attempt enacted by Mimete before the next member of Witches 5 takes the stage. All and all a mild recommendation to watch.

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon S: Episode 121

Yes, I think I am beginning to see why watcher of the anime program here wondered why the third of Watches 5 here, Teliun, got offed so quickly in comparison to Euidal and Meimete and the answer lies in the fact that this episode was, anime nonsense aside one of those one to one lift jobs the anime pulled every now and again. As in they pretty much adapted Teliun's chapter from the manga, which is why it plays out so radically different to the point where it get lampshaded. Indeed, this is also the reason why there is mostly no Monster of The Week expect when one gets created because the anime got gunshy about Sailor Moon killing the point girls here and needed a way out in that regard. Also, been awhile since I have said this, but dear god Chibi-Usa is just the worst thing ever. Yea, this isn't as bad arcs of both previous and future nature, her taking the lead focus in this part of S is really sucking the life out of everything. Why the universe has not considered to toss Princess Scrappy into a trash compactor I will never know, Mild recommendation to avoid.

Jarate

Banned
The Ippo dub really grows on you the more you watch it, I was really meh on it to begin with, but then as the show went on I started to like it more

Also, how's the Ippo manga going for those who still read it, I stopped reading it when he fought the
Island Monkey Boy
, did it get better from there?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The Ippo dub really grows on you the more you watch it, I was really meh on it to begin with, but then as the show went on I started to like it more

Also, how's the Ippo manga going for those who still read it, I stopped reading it when he fought the
Island Monkey Boy

Right after that fight it
went back on the rails towards Ippo's eventual fight with Ricardo Martinez. At the moment we just had a short Mashiba fight, followed by a short Sendo fight and now we're seeing Takamura try to take another belt.
So shit's pretty hype right now. I just wish the release schedule was better.

Furyous

What are the shows that are coming soon. Only one I recognize is Akame Ga Kill and LOL at that fustercluck.

Wait... they're still showing Dragon Ball Z? Toriyama has to be a billionaire by now.

Moaradin

What are the shows that are coming soon. Only one I recognize is Akame Ga Kill and LOL at that fustercluck.

Wait... they're still showing Dragon Ball Z? Toriyama has to be a billionaire by now.

We recently got Michiko and Hatchin. Parasyte is coming a few months from now.

The other one is Parasyte. Probably wasn't the best idea to use an image with only Japanese text.

They're showing Dragonball Z Kai, which is a recut of DBZ to remove most of the filler.

And in case you weren't aware, a new Dragonball series, Dragonball Super, just started. So yeah, Toriyama is rolling in it.

Seda

Parasyte the Maxim is the other. I couldn't find a good render of the English logo.

Bleach had been spearheading the block for years (pre-dating the Toonami revival) and when it finally finished, DBZ Kai was picked as the replacement. It actually does well enough (and including what it may have cost to acquire) that it airs twice on Saturdays - once in the 'Toonami' block and a 'rerun' earlier in the night.

Is that the arc that reveals
he's actually a summon spirit?
cause in the manga thats like 2 chapters if its stretched in the anime thats more filler

Yeah but they stretched it out over 2 or 3 episodes and the plot was sooooo melodramatic. What really irked me the most though was how the problem was solved with a BS nakama power up.

I keep torturing myself thinking "hey this will probably get better, keep giving it a chance" and the show does manage to get my hopes up on occasion but the vast majority of the ~30 ish episodes I have watched have been downright terrible. I mean, I usually love mediocre shonen but FT can't even manage to be decent for longer than 5 minutes before devolving into a vicious cycle of the same formulaic bs over and over again. The animation is crap too, every single fight has been incredibly underwhelming which makes me mad because Natsu, Gray, and Erza are likable characters with great chemistry but I feel like they're being short changed. Maybe I should just switch to the manga..

I keep torturing myself thinking "hey this will probably get better, keep giving it a chance" and the show does manage to get my hopes up on occasion but the vast majority of the ~30 ish episodes I have watched have been downright terrible. I mean, I usually love mediocre shonen but FT can't even manage to be decent for longer than 5 minutes before devolving into a vicious cycle of the same formulaic bs over and over again. The animation is crap too, every single fight has been incredibly underwhelming which makes me mad because Natsu, Gray, and Erza are likable characters with great chemistry but I feel like they're being short changed. Maybe I should just switch to the manga..

The animation does get a bit better. Have they stopped putting magic circles around everyone's hands whenever they attack at this point? That was some weird thing the anime added that they drop later.

It may be better to just read the manga and watch the openings (and endings until they stop doing chibi art).

The animation does get a bit better. Have they stopped putting magic circles around everyone's hands whenever they attack at this point? That was some weird thing the anime added that they drop later.

It may be better to just read the manga and watch the openings (and endings until they stop doing chibi art).

Nah they always have some magical circle thing form before attacking. The OPs end ENDs are pretty good in my opinion, probably the most enjoyable part of FT.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I don't mind the main trio as you said, though I think another problem of the series (AND CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG, it's been so long since I read the few volumes that I did) was that it seemed to try & introduce a ton of characters right near the beginning, i.e. in that one pub where they get jobs & such. The problem is it's a pain to remember so many characters at once especially near the beginning if they're not part of the main cast. One Piece, for example, has a HUUUGGGEEE cast, but it's spaced out over the series and each arc, so you get to spend time knowing certain characters, then they move on & time to meet a new group of people. Sure, characters may return, but we tend to spend enough time to remember who they are when they do return.

I think part of my time reading the first few volumes was "wait, who the hell was this?" because it was trying to throw so many characters at once.

Edit: Thinking it over, maybe the intent was trying to show just how big the world was because of how many people were "involved" with the story. Nothing wrong with that, but again, space out how many characters you try to introduce & how long we get to know them.

I don't mind the main trio as you said, though I think another problem of the series (AND CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG, it's been so long since I read the few volumes that I did) was that it seemed to try & introduce a ton of characters right near the beginning, i.e. in that one pub where they get jobs & such. The problem is it's a pain to remember so many characters at once especially near the beginning if they're not part of the main cast. One Piece, for example, has a HUUUGGGEEE cast, but it's spaced out over the series and each arc, so you get to spend time knowing certain characters, then they move on & time to meet a new group of people. Sure, characters may return, but we tend to spend enough time to remember who they are when they do return.

I think part of my time reading the first few volumes was "wait, who the hell was this?" because it was trying to throw so many characters at once.

Edit: Thinking it over, maybe the intent was trying to show just how big the world was because of how many people were "involved" with the story. Nothing wrong with that, but again, space out how many characters you try to introduce & how long we get to know them.

Well, to be fair, most of the Fairy Tail members are scrubs so the only ones you really have to pay attention to are the main group and villains that turn good (and also to be fair, many consider this to be a problem).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The manga has those same issues, only with more nudity. I warned you dude.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well, to be fair, most of the Fairy Tail members are scrubs so the only ones you really have to pay attention to are the main group and villains that turn good (and also to be fair, many consider this to be a problem).
Bah, it sounds like the majority of villains turn good because the power of nakama. Again, decent idea if you use it sparingly, but it sounds like this does it for every villain which gets stale.

The manga has those same issues, only with more nudity. I warned you dude.
WELL GEE IF YOU PUT IT LIKE THAT, I'M WILLING TO OVERLOOK ITS FLAWS!!!

16.2% serious.

Bah, it sounds like the majority of villains turn good because the power of nakama. Again, decent idea if you use it sparingly, but it sounds like this does it for every villain which gets stale.

Nah, it's not every villain. Just the ones that are cool and/or hot.

For example, I'd say there's an 80% chance that the woman in the new chapter will turn good. Which I wouldn't mind.

Island Monkey Boy

Yeah, fuck Woli.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

Grexeno

Like most knock-offs of Honest Trailers, that wasn't particularly funny, well written or accurate.

....Actually, that was pretty appropriate for Fairy Tail then!
Being perfectly honest, half of what makes the regular Honest Trailers good is the voice guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom