• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul15| Sentai finally noticed us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheChits

I dislike trending topics as a whole. And by that, I mean when one thread is basically a bunch of diff threads.
Also
Sell me on ___, because there arent 5 other threads in the past month regarding it.

Anyone who starts a thread asking the forum to sell them on something or asking why they should care about something should be instabanned

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I actually don't mind those threads very much as it's always fun to help someone out by giving your honest opinion on a game. They're short and disappear quickly unless some drama happens. Inoffensive. Banning them would just get a lot of people Juniored, I'd imagine.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Anyone who starts a thread asking the forum to sell them on something or asking why they should care about something should be instabanned
Sell me on the idea as to why you dislike someone asking on the opinion of others to influence their decision.

Crocodile

I don't disagree that GAF is better than a lot of other places online (LOL Reddit and 4chan) but that's more a function of most of the internet being shit than GAF, overall, being some sort of utopia of intelligent discussion. Specific posters are great. Specific sub communities are great. The Toonami community (you guys) is great. It's just more and more I'm coming to terms with the fact that there is more shit on GAF than I ever realized. This applies to OT as well.

I especially like the "I've already spent several hundred dollars on X! What should I do with it now?"

Like, does nobody do any fucking research before they buy shit? LOL

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I especially like the "I've already spent several hundred dollars on X! What should I do with it now?"

Like, does nobody do any fucking research before they buy shit? LOL
Okay now THIS I find rather silly. You bought something expensive but didn't do research as to what to do with it/what games to buy for it? Shouldn't you do this BEFORE buying it?

HARPIES

i finished the suikoden series and will probably do a franchise lttp this weekend maybe

Playing through suikoden II myself at the moment.

Major spoilers -
Making my way through Rockaxe castle to burn the flag at the top.
Its been a pretty great game so far.

Soulflarz

Banned
none of the mods like those at all so im not sure why we put up with em

Please bring it up in one of those mod meetings we know you have during SAO to keep you awake >.>

I mean 90% of them aren't even well thought out, they're just....sell me on an xbone!

Only other offenses to thread posting that come to mind are "LTTP Halo 5- I just unwrapped the game!" but I don't see that as much nowadays, and the more notable "Just got a vita", because there's so many of those that any and all game recommendations to settings related issues can be found via the search function...or...google, in most cases...?

New to the thread but i do enjoy toonami (◉ω◉)

What shows are everyones favorite? Does it feel weird seeing shows that you could easily see online? I wish more people would support giving these shows good ratings cause anime seems to have crashed over there in the west.. I tune into toonami from overseas just to help with the ratings :)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I honestly am fine with watching them on TV compared to online. I feel like it's easier to set aside a few hours over the weekend at night compared to trying to "force" myself to watching it online at anytime. Plus TV = group watch with others & making it more fun to see other reactions.

Seda

so this is probably really weird but idk, and ive said it before anyway

if i ever have free time to spend as i want, i very rarely choose to 'watch' something. whether it's a movie, tv show, anime, whatever. (and turns out basically most of these types of media I haven't seen!) I often get bored and want to /do/ something.

a group watch of english-voiced shows at a set time every week - is easier for me to enjoy. I can more easily multitask (aka play a game or do some work at the same time if i want), and the community aspect gives just enough active interaction to prevent things from getting boring, even if the shows are boring.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Exactly. Even when I'm watching reruns of shows I recorded, I feel like I can be doing something else like checking stuff online, doing homework, getting laundry done, etc. It's why I prefer a set time, because then I feel more motivated to set aside time to watch it because it's the time set by someone else, not me.

What shows are everyones favorite? Does it feel weird seeing shows that you could easily see online? I wish more people would support giving these shows good ratings cause anime seems to have crashed over there in the west.. I tune into toonami from overseas just to help with the ratings :)

All time favorite is One Piece and DBZ Kai, current favorite is KLK and M&H. Glad to see more over seas gaf joining in the Toonami fun! Welcome to the community

ckohler

Favorite currently airing Toonami shows:
Kill la Kill, Michiko and Hatchin

Favorite past Toonami shows:
Gurren Lagann, Soul Eater

If it weren't for ToonamiGAF, I probably wouldn't really watch Toonami as often. For me, it's more about the shared experience of the virtual group watch we have here. You should post here with us on Saturdays nights when it airs. It's a lot of fun.

daveo42

Banned

Some of these shows I've already seen, but it's more fun to see others reactions live as different shows and stories play out.

Current Favorites
DBZ Kai, Michiko & Hatchin, One Piece

Past Favorites
Cowboy Bebop, Gurren Lagann, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Space Dandy, Black Lagoon.

Love to hate
Sword Art Online

Favorite currently airing Toonami shows:
Kill la Kill, Michiko and Hatchin

Favorite past Toonami shows:
Gurren Lagann, Soul Eater

If it weren't for ToonamiGAF, I probably wouldn't really watch Toonami as often. For me, it's more about the shared experience of the virtual group watch we have here. You should post here with us on Saturdays nights when it airs. It's a lot of fun.

Same. I didn't even show up or even know there was a GAF Community for Toonami until Space Dandy and I've just stuck around since. Good group of people here and a variety of opinions on anime and games.

Favorite past new toonami show: Bleach
Favorite past old toonami show: G Gundam
Favorite current toonami show: DBZ Kai

Yes it's easier to just watch this stuff online but there's something special about gathering with everyone here once a week to watch anime and talk about it in real time; this really enhances the experience. The anime market hasn't crashed, it's actually on the upswing but I don't know if we'll ever experience a boom again like the market did in the late 90s/early 00s.

Welcome to the thread.

Okay Bass, I tried but this tower of heaven arc is the dumbest shit I've ever seen. I just watched Erza
get her ass kicked by a woman who could cut through her strongest armor. In response Erza decides to go to some skimpy dual wielding outfit THAT OFFERS NO PROTECTION OR DISCERNIBLE ADVANTAGE, monologue for no reason about how she's alone or whatever, and then one hit kill the villain in a cliche samurai duel standoff.
Like, I literally yelled at the TV because this episode and arc is so blatantly terrible which is saying something because I have a high tolerance for bad anime.

Honestly I would rate FT well below SAO S1, Hamtaro, Wulin Warriors, and Tenchi Muyo GXP which are the WORST shows toonami has ever aired. I would rather eat my own shit than watch another second of this abomination. Fairy Tail should be used by the CIA in interrogations with terrorist because I'd be willing to bet that it's more effective than waterboarding. I'm convinced that whoever created this show is a giant troll and that the fanbase can't be older than 8 on average. Fuck Fairy Tail.

Gits:SAC, Gurren and BL are my favorites that were shown, though currently its One Piece. And not really because the only legal alternative I know of to watching KLK dubbed is to buy the super expensive DVDs/Blu Rays.

Rutger

Banned

Currently, One Piece and probably Michiko and Hatchin, it's off to a good start at the very least.

For past shows, there's a lot, Cowboy Bebop, Gurren Lagann, Black Lagoon, Yu Yu Hakusho, FMA: Brotherhood, and G Gundam all stand out.

I sure a hell wouldn't be watching SAO if it wasn't for the reactions in this thread.
Seeing the reactions here also helped a lot when Toonami wasn't showing anything new for me. It's getting better, but I'd probably be far more likely to just record shows if it wasn't for ToonamiGAF.

Okay Bass, I tried but this tower of heaven arc is the dumbest shit I've ever seen. I just watched Erza
get her ass kicked by a woman who could cut through her strongest armor. In response Erza decides to go to some skimpy dual wielding outfit THAT OFFERS NO PROTECTION OR DISCERNIBLE ADVANTAGE, monologue for no reason about how she's alone or whatever, and then one hit kill the villain in a cliche samurai duel standoff.
Like, I literally yelled at the TV because this episode and arc is so blatantly terrible which is saying something because I have a high tolerance for bad anime.

Honestly I would rate FT well below SAO S1, Hamtaro, Wulin Warriors, and Tenchi Muyo GXP which are the WORST shows toonami has ever aired. I would rather eat my own shit than watch another second of this abomination. Fairy Tail should be used by the CIA in interrogations with terrorist because I'd be willing to bet that it's more effective than waterboarding. I'm convinced that whoever created this show is a giant troll and that the fanbase can't be older than 8 on average. Fuck Fairy Tail.
W14YfHo.gif

Like I said, the show was pitched to a kids network by FUNi, but fanservice prevailed.

IIRC the armor that gets destroyed is her overall strongest defense and she uses her equip magic to change into the glass cannon samurai outfit which lets her one shot. FT it generic shonen I'm not surprised if people used to watching better series don't dig it.

IIRC the armor that gets destroyed is her overall strongest defense and she uses her equip magic to change into the glass cannon samurai outfit which lets her one shot. FT it generic shonen I'm not surprised if people used to watching better series don't dig it.

If this idiot has a one shot armor, which is a bs power in itself, why not use it from the start when time is of the essence? FT is dumb beyond belief, even for children.

If this idiot has a one shot armor, which is a bs power in itself, why not use it from the start when time is of the essence? FT is dumb beyond belief, even for children.

The bandage wrap and kendo pants don't have any powers. When she's dressed like that, she just channels all of her magic into her swords instead of focusing on defense.

The bandage wrap and kendo pants don't have any powers. When she's dressed like that, she just channels all of her magic into her swords instead of focusing on defense.

That's so stupid, it makes me mad. I am actually seething with anger over a fictional cartoon series about big titty wizards for wasting hours of my life.

Crocodile

These past 6 weeks.........

Part of me wants JoJo to come so I can stop reading the begging for it every other page, but part of me doesn't want it to come so I can laugh at the rage when Fairy Tail gets picked up instead.

Haters gonna hate.

I don't dislike JoJo, I just get tired of hearing about it, kind of like Justin Beiber. My bashing is pure hyperbole. I've never seen Fairy Tail since Bass keeps telling me to hold off but everyone describes it as a mediocre shonen and we all know those are my favorites haha.

Started Fairy Tail and...it's not bad. Put the first episode on as background noise while I did some chores around the house and ended up liking what I saw. I feel like this show would have been perfect for the FoxBox or 4kids TV had it come out a decade ago but I'm not so sure it would do well on toonami. It seems like the show skews kinda young but I like the world and characters so far.

EDIT: grammar, damn autocorrect

i remember being snapped at for bringing up the possibility of a fairy tale for one piece swap

both series hover around mediocre-good overall imo, one piece just has higher highs

That's so stupid, it makes me mad. I am actually seething with anger over a fictional cartoon series about big titty wizards for wasting hours of my life.

ae8.gif

Sorry I couldn't resist. Sorry you ended up watching crap :(

Is channeling all your magic into your sword a worse power up then wielding your sword with two hands?

LOL reading this page I was thinking the same thing

It's a shame he gave up before the moe loli joined the cast, I bet he would have loved that.
The fights involving Wendy are actually the best in the series, IMO. Stat boosting is uncommon in action series and I like her attack animations.

My opinion on FT did a complete 180 once I actually sat down and watched it

EDIT: omg at me putting Fairy Tail in the same tier as One Piece. I mean, I don't think OP is as good as it gets hyped up to be around these parts but it shits all over FT. I deserve to be slapped for typing that.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I wonder what history would've been like if 4Kids nabbed Fairy Tail instead of One Piece....

Probably about the same, I think 4Kids gets way too much of the blame for One Piece not catching on here in North America as it did elsewhere.

Completely anecdotal evidence but everyone IRL or online who genuinely likes FT from my experience generally hasn't seen many anime and none of them had seen OP or "couldn't get into OP cause reasons"

Raxus

Probably about the same, I think 4Kids gets way too much of the blame for One Piece not catching on here in North America as it did elsewhere.

To be fair looking at localizations elsewhere you can see why 4Kids gets much of the blame. I think (in France?) Naruto wound up tanking due to bad dubbing and One Piece succeed.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
To be fair looking at localizations elsewhere you can see why 4Kids gets much of the blame. I think (in France?) Naruto wound up tanking due to bad dubbing and One Piece succeed.

It was Germany. It had this "amazing" opening
It also had censorship that even 4Kids would say was too much (Zabuza's blade just didn't exist)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Not saying they don't have their place in the blame but there are others to blame. For example Fox get no blame for the censorship issues because Network TV standards are different then cable standards. I remember Dragon Ball Z being edited to shit during the Saban days.

It's too hard to say what would have happened for both FT and OP had 4kids picked up FT instead of OP which it itself is a silly question as FT anime started over a decade later

HYPOTHETICALLY

Had Fairy Tail started at the same time OP did and 4kids acquired the series it probably would have done well in the US under a 4kids edit. The series never gets too dark or violent, it's goofy world would work great for their "jokes", and it's biggest sin (it's fan service) they could easily cut or edit out. 4kids "best dubs" were stuff like YGO, Kirby, and Sonic series they could localize/edit to their standards without it being too noticeable to their target audience. I think FT would have fallen into this category a lot better then OP ever would.

I wouldn't survive a FT announcement...I would probably explode in anger if it came to toonami.

DeMarco pls don't do this

http://data2.whicdn.com/images/54286583/large.gif

guys

I gotta go ly dow

I think FT airing on Toonami is probably just an inevitability the way crap like SAO was. It probably won't happen anytime soon due to it's length. That said I think FT would make for a great group watch partially because of how frustrating it can be as you pointed out in your rant earlier. FWIW I don't think it ever gets as boring/slow as Shippuden does low hanging fruit and all that.

I think FT airing on Toonami is probably just an inevitability the way crap like SAO was. It probably won't happen anytime soon due to it's length. That said I think FT would make for a great group watch partially because of how frustrating it can be as you pointed out in your rant earlier. FWIW I don't think it ever gets as boring/slow as Shippuden does low hanging fruit and all that.

It's never boring, just melodramatic and full of plot armor. So yeah, SAO is an apt comparison except FT's titillation doesn't sway into rape territory from what I have seen.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Black Lagoon is probably my favorite.

I could easily see the shows online, but I like to watch the shows with ToonamiGAF because the reactions are really fun.

Also, fuck watching subbed anime.

I don't really have a problem with subbed anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom