• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul15| Sentai finally noticed us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's never boring, just melodramatic and full of plot armor. So yeah, SAO is an apt comparison except FT's titillation doesn't sway into rape territory from what I have seen.
ARE YOU SUUUURRRRRREEEEEE?

No, seriously, did you check? Cuz I don't know

It's never boring, just melodramatic and full of plot armor. So yeah, SAO is an apt comparison except FT's titillation doesn't sway into rape territory from what I have seen.

Well,
* Erza gets tortured naked (with clothes in the anime) in a recent arc. At least she escapes on her own and has a boss fight against her torturer.
* Gajeel (from an arc you've already seen) turns good and that girl he beat up (who he crucified in the manga) becomes his love interest, complete with him falling on top of her with his face in her boobs with him going "What are these soft things?"

Close enough?

Looking at the full list, the best shows Toonami has aired in my opinion are Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Space Dandy and FLCL. I haven't seen Big O but I feel pretty confident about saying if I had then I would like it enough to put it up there.

The worst is Tenchi Muyo GXP. I don't think I can even come up with anything close to that.

Well,
* Erza gets tortured naked (with clothes in the anime) in a recent arc. At least she escapes on her own and has a boss fight against her torturer.
* Gajeel (from an arc you've already seen) turns good and that girl he beat up (who he crucified in the manga) becomes his love interest, complete with him falling on top of her with his face in her boobs with him going "What are these soft things?"

Close enough?

I imagine the later will be heavily down played in the anime just as most of the fan service is from what I've seen.

Seda

The SDCC thing for toonami is saturday right?

Will it be livestreamed? Why else would we have a bingo card?

Yes. At the normal pre-flight link.

yr6gs3em.png

You can register here for an entry into a free t-shirt raffle. (many winners)

You can print out a randomized Bingo Bang! card too, which is just for fun if watching the live-Preflight thing on Saturday.

i guess

--

oh

Steve Blum is joining the SDCC broadcast

There will be a Parasyte promo

Gill is cosplaying as
Gaara from Naruto Shippuden

Jason is cosplaying as
The Lich from Adventure Time

Here are some question they might be fielding? A number of comments asking for a 'Toonami Channel'.

lol

I doubt there will be any significant announcements unless Attack on Titan is getting replaced with a premiere or something.

ARE YOU SUUUURRRRRREEEEEE?

No, seriously, did you check? Cuz I don't know

I've only seen 40ish episodes and didn't notice any rapey stuff, thank god

Well,

attachment.php

The toonami audience must skew younger than we thought. I mean Bass, Seda, Abso, and Levyne feel free to chime in - how old were the people asking dumb questions at Momocon? Social awkwardness aside, from watching the stream it seemed like the majority of the fans there were 17-19 which is pretty young. I'd guess that most of us here are in the 22-30 age range (obviously there are notable exceptions) and are more mature than the average teenage viewer who can't follow directions.

The toonami audience must skew younger than we thought. I mean Bass, Seda, Abso, and Levyne feel free to chime in - how old were the people asking dumb questions at Momocon? Social awkwardness aside, from watching the stream it seemed like the majority of the fans there seemed to be 17-20 which is pretty young. I'd guess that most of us here are in the 22-30 age range (obviously there are notable exceptions) and are more mature than the average viewer.

I dunno most of the people at the panel looked college aged to me but college aged doesn't really help as age can be fairly deceptive when you're in your 20s

How can there be this many idiots out there? Surely ToonamiGAF isn't the only group of people who watch the block with more than half a brain.

As someone who has unfortunately ventured into other Toonami discussions around the Internet, I can tell you that this is more or less true.

Soulflarz

Banned
New to the thread but i do enjoy toonami (◉ω◉)

What shows are everyones favorite? Does it feel weird seeing shows that you could easily see online? I wish more people would support giving these shows good ratings cause anime seems to have crashed over there in the west.. I tune into toonami from overseas just to help with the ratings :)

Oh new member! hihi

And whatever is violent or :3 is my fav

As someone who has unfortunately ventured into other Toonami discussions around the Internet, I can tell you that this is more or less true.

I only post about toonami here (would never cheat on yall) but reddit's toonami sub isn't bad. Have you been to the "official" board on Adult Swim though? That place is a nut house although extremely fun to read from time to time.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Best past, present, future show of TOONAMI is One Piece.

Also I find it hilarious that Gucci, champion of Bleach, thinks that FT is the worst thing ever. I, who don't hate Bleach as much as some, think FT is far, far, faaaar better.

Jarate

Banned
I was thinking about venturing forth beyond this gated community to talk about anime, but nah, im cool here.

No one else would understand my epiduo gifs

New to the thread but i do enjoy toonami (◉ω◉)

What shows are everyones favorite? Does it feel weird seeing shows that you could easily see online? I wish more people would support giving these shows good ratings cause anime seems to have crashed over there in the west.. I tune into toonami from overseas just to help with the ratings :)
Oh, Hello! :)

Black Lagoon is my shit.
Followed closely by Space Dandy. :)

Wow so many responses It is amazing =) I tried posting in asiagaf in a similar manner & no one responded to my post xD so i felt unwelcome.

I agree with the outlooks here. There is something special about watching it timed & live. to me i feel like I "travel" more with the series when I see it spaced out. its not nearly as special to me when i grind through something super fast. And I just dont like the idea of not supporting the publishers / animators by getting it for free.

I have seen all of the shows but I am looking forward to reactions from all of you
ヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノ

TheChits

I was going back to look at all the lineups for Neo-Toonami. I can't believe it has been back for three years already. Time really does fly :(

Soulflarz

Banned
Wow so many responses It is amazing =) I tried posting in asiagaf in a similar manner & no one responded to my post xD so i felt unwelcome.

I agree with the outlooks here. There is something special about watching it timed & live. to me i feel like I "travel" more with the series when I see it spaced out. its not nearly as special to me when i grind through something super fast. And I just dont like the idea of not supporting the publishers / animators by getting it for free.

I have seen all of the shows but I am looking forward to reactions from all of you
ヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノ

You live in Asia?
Also yess another person who uses Japanese Emojis, perfect ^_^

And yeah, a lot of us are simply watching for the sake of being a group and enjoy it.
I love watching SAO2 with the rest of ToonamiGAF because it's so funny >_<

I love that this exists.

I know you guys have been saying FT is the same arc repeated over and over again but is that hyperbole or the truth? What makes me mad is that there's so much wasted potential with this franchise. I want to like it soooo bad because the characters and concept appeal to me but the execution is so botched. SAO I can handle and enjoy because I find it funny, but Fairy Tail is just all around bad from what I have seen. Should I stand by my rage quit or skip ahead to something more recent?

I only post about toonami here (would never cheat on yall) but reddit's toonami sub isn't bad. Have you been to the "official" board on Adult Swim though? That place is a nut house although extremely fun to read from time to time.

There's a handful of alright people there (everyone on my podcast is from there), but that place is generally a total shitshow. There was a dude from there who Internet-stalked me and several others who voiced negative opinions about SAO for months. Death threats and everything.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I know you guys have been saying FT is the same arc repeated over and over again but is that hyperbole or the truth? What makes me mad is that there's so much wasted potential with this franchise. I want to like it soooo bad because the characters and concept appeal to me but the execution is so botched. SAO I can handle and enjoy because I find it funny, but Fairy Tail is just all around bad from what I have seen. Should I stand by my rage quit or skip ahead to something more recent?

Stand by it, no one is kidding when they say it's just the same arc again and again. In fact, you'll only rage quit again if you keep going. I know exactly the point you'll rage quit too if they adapted it.

Grexeno

There's a handful of alright people there (everyone on my podcast is from there), but that place is generally a total shitshow. There was a dude from there who Internet-stalked me and several others who voiced negative opinions about SAO for months. Death threats and everything.
ACTUAL-SAN

ACTUAL-SAN ACTUAL-SAN ACTUAL-SAN

Re: the Toonami channel comments - it's pretty clear that we, as a group, following the inner workings of the block pretty closely, and as such know the costs involved in even the small block that currently runs.

I'm a little more willing to cut them some slack because not everyone is going to care about that aspect.

That said, I doubt I'd be watching live every Saturday if I didn't have this thread filled with a fine group of folks to watch with.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
What gets me is that they think they have enough shows to fill an entire 24 hours, let alone an entire damn WEEK. They have THREE & 1/2 HOURS worth of shows, meaning 7. You need a crapton more to get an actual channel to yourself.

"Well why not get the older shows back?" Because they don't have the rights and that would cost a tooonn of money, a lot more than what they probably have.

Re: the Toonami channel comments - it's pretty clear that we, as a group, following the inner workings of the block pretty closely, and as such know the costs involved in even the small block that currently runs.

I'm a little more willing to cut them some slack because not everyone is going to care about that aspect.

That said, I doubt I'd be watching live every Saturday if I didn't have this thread filled with a fine group of folks to watch with.
Even so,wouldn't you think Adult Swim get a channel before Toonami ever would?
Secondly, they just cut the hours.

I mean, it's simple logic here. But I guess that's too much to ask lol.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hell, Adult Swim probably doesn't have enough shows either because most were lifted from other networks, & their original stuff tends to be 15 minutes instead of 30.

I think it's more a question of common sense than a question of following the inner-workings of the block, though. Like, the block airs at midnight one night of the week and was halved not that long ago. If a person is aware of both of those things (let alone the fact that Adult Swim itself still shares channel space), it should be pretty easy to conclude that a Toonami channel is totally unrealistic.

I could maybe understand questions about airing more nights of the week (though a simple Google search probably answers that), but the channel stuff is pretty much nonsense.

Hell, Adult Swim probably doesn't have enough shows either because most were lifted from other networks, & their original stuff tends to be 15 minutes instead of 30.

I think they could if they were given the money to. But sharing channel space to run exclusively late at night fills their niche very well; I don't imagine a bunch of people are gonna be watching Space Ghost at noon on a Wednesday. So it's probably less"can they?" and more "is it even worth it?"

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think they could if they were given the money to. But sharing channel space to run exclusively late at night fills their niche very well; I don't imagine a bunch of people are gonna be watching Space Ghost at noon on a Wednesday. So it's probably less"can they?" and more "is it even worth it?"
That as well. It's just overall not worth it for them.

Holy shit that's absurd. Sorry to hear man, you should take screens and send them to the cops if you haven't already. I bet the mods would turn over their IP address and personal info if asked by law enforcement but who knows if the cops would use resources to track down some clown making death threats on the internet over cartoons.

Holy shit that's absurd. Sorry to hear man, you should take screens and send them to the cops if you haven't already. I bet the mods would turn over their IP address and personal info if asked by law enforcement but who knows if the cops would use resources to track down some clown making death threats on the internet over cartoons.

Meh. It was a while ago, and I never put much stock in it. If he somehow indicated that he knew where I lived then maybe, but it just came off as some guy who desperately needed therapy yelling on the Internet.

ckohler

I'm actually expecting the questions at Comic-Con to be worse than at Momocon because Momocon at least catered to anime fans. Comic-Con is going to be filled with all sorts of fandoms, including a majority of people who probably only ever saw classic, kid friendly Toonami. They probably don't even know what time Toonami currently airs.

They're exactly the kind of people to ask stuff like, "Why aren't you on weekdays?" and "Are you going to air more Hamtaro?"

I watched the first episode of Fairy Tale and couldn't get over how generic it was, from the art style to the first episode's plot everything was so bland.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So starting Shimoneta & for some reason, all I can think is "Wow, an anime about a country that overreacts to sexual material by using means of violence, all because higher-ups tell people what's allowed as decency & what's not? THIS IS AMERICA: THE ANIME!"

I'm actually expecting the questions at Comic-Con to be worse than at Momocon because Momocon at least catered to anime fans. Comic-Con is going to be filled with all sorts of fandoms, including a majority of people who probably only ever saw classic, kid friendly Toonami. They probably don't even know what time Toonami currently airs.

They're exactly the kind of people to ask stuff like, "Why aren't you on weekdays?" and "Are you going to air more Hamtaro?"

Hopefully fewer show suggestions, though!

"Can you air [insert favorite show]?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom