• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul15| Sentai finally noticed us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of mediocrity, I don't mind other folks trying out their own anime blocks. I'd rather more channels take a chance at airing anime and giving the medium as a whole more exposure than having anime on tv eventually just die out.

I'll support it; hopefully anime goes through a mini-renaissance in the USA and starts springing up in more places.

Have no idea if I get chiller but even if I did it's probably only available on the tvs with cable boxes in my parents room and the living room neither of which I can really access on a wednesday night. Reading the reactions here and how little fanfare it got I imagine the only reason this block will survive if it does is due to how low of ratings chiller probably expects

BBboy20

People who didn't check the thread tonight are gonna be pretty confused tomorrow.
Seems like I missed out on a party.

Wow, OK, never mind. I can't say I expected to hear that. Way to fuck up Funi.
Briefly meeting Justin Rojas...I really can't imagine how he'd react to you guys.

The DMC anime is fucking lame there's no pizza and Dante doesn't even fight anything the whole thing and nobody says the phrase "To take me out you must fight like a man" or "now i'm motivated"

It's better then Bayonetta Bloody Fate though
AWW SHIT, MURDER MYSTERY ON THE BORED EXPRESS.
Quite the bar to pass!
I take it giving away my DMC disc 1 to a Gamestop employee when buying the DMC4 limited edition at the time was a good idea?

AE1XMZj.jpg

When observing this pic, I realized that is Justin Cook! o_O

daveo42

Banned
Saw some of the Chiller thread stuff last night before going to bed. I know of the cable network, but we don't get it here, at least with our cable plan. I'd say it'd be great to check out on a weekly basis if I didn't have work in the morning. Wonder how well it will do in relation to whatever Seth McFarlane slop is rerunning on Adult Swim. Probably pretty terribly knowing how tiny Chiller is to begin with.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Considering how tired I felt this morning (woke up at around 7:30 after going to bed at 1.a.m. because I've got stuff at 11:30 & then 2 hours of calculus at 1 p.m.), I'm starting to see why Toonami opted to do their stuff on Saturday nights when people most likely don't have anything going on the next day aside from maybe church compared to the middle of the week where people have work, things planned, classes, etc.

Everything was good except DMC
I'm honestly legit surprised at this, mainly the fact you're probably the only person who liked Is This a Zombie, but then again....

I liked the first show because it was acceptably stupid in a good way.
I think this is the mindset you need to go into. Don't get me wrong, the show is stupid, & I think I laugh at more at the fact at "oh god did they SERIOUSLY just do this" than the actual jokes, & I think the show KNOWS it's not suppose to take itself seriously. Though I remember the fact they introduce a character that is basically the trope of "I'm not really a villain, but I'm going to act like a completely & utter jackass to our main character because he exists" which I just hate in shows. I think it's the reason why I haven't bother rewatching shows like Bento, but in English.

But to those who didn't enjoy it, I totally understand, I had a feeling this wasn't meant for this group. I would argue a comedy that's considered bad is probably one of the worst kinds of bad along with "boring" you can experience. Something like SAO that tries to be action, drama, etc., we can make fun of how bad the drama & stuff is which results in laughter/humor. We do it every week. With a bad comedy, there's not much fun to be had because what's attempting to be funny falls flat and there's no humor, so there's less to make fun of, resulting in a more negative experience.

Same goes for a "boring" show. If it's just "okay", there's not much to comment on, so you can't really joke about how it does something bad, nor comment on how it does something good, because it doesn't really do either of those things, it's right in the middle.

Squalor

Does FiOS get Chiller?

I'm probably not missing much. Anime-only channels in the United States have never really been great.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I have the original 4 volumes of the RoD manga. I recall there was a sequel, but never read/saw it.

Also oh man, even Kamiya even admits the DMC anime wasn't that great. I still would like to see how the Viewtiful Joe one turned out, as I never had Kids WB....though DVD versions seem to be hard to come by considering it was Geneon.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Part of me wonders about the ratings, considering this was announced just HOURS before it premiered, and it's on a station that's not as available compared to Cartoon Network.

bigkrev

Part of me wonders about the ratings, considering this was announced just HOURS before it premiered, and it's on a station that's not as available compared to Cartoon Network.

Some ratings info from Ad Age about the network

"Dead Souls," which premiered in October, was Chiller's strongest original movie to date, drawing an audience of 139,000 people 25 to 54.
Original special "Real Fear: The Truth Behind the Movies" premiered to an audience of 127,000 people 18 to 49 and 174,000 people 25 to 54 in March 2012, making it Chiller's highest-rated original special ever in both demographics.

So Yeah. No one watches the network.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
.....so I'm guessing it probably won't even break 100k.....

Also just realized Funimation never even promoted it on social media, considering they own the rights to all the shows. I've seen them mention Toonami in the past, so strange they didn't mention any of the shows last night.

Edit: In retrospect, I'm kind of glad I have a new avatar in order to not feel as contradicting when I wish to voice a serious opinion yet have a very silly avatar at the same time. Plus I try to match my avatar with my "mood" if that makes sense.

I told you the network was niche. I don't see Anime Wednesdays as much of a triumph or confirmation that anime is making a TV Network resurgence. We can make that claim when more popular and widely available channels start testing their own anime blocks.

Squalor

I told you the network was niche. I don't see Anime Wednesdays as much of a triumph or confirmation that anime is making a TV Network resurgence. We can make that claim when more popular and widely available channels start testing their own anime blocks.
Anime Wednesday in the summer, nonetheless, haha.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, we'll start our own Toonami. With Black Jack & Hunter X Hunter.

..........in fact, forget about Toonami!

Seda

Ive been saying this for a while, but we should do our own toonami using youtubesync or something simila

Thread regulars started doing something this quite some time ago and I asked them not to post it in here because it wasn't exactly lawful

Thread regulars started doing something this quite some time ago and I asked them not to post it in here because it wasn't exactly lawful

It also eventually died out due to lack of interest fwiw best to keep this thread for discussing toonami and its block and potentially other dubbed anime news and blocks

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I have no idea why I'm going to continue watching that show...

...especially since it's censored...

Squalor

Charlotte: The pilot was awful, yet, for some unknown reason, I decided to check out the second episode. I'm a fucking idiot. I would rather play Russian roulette than watch any more of this anime abortion.

Gangsta.: I haven't seen the third episode yet, but I'm definitely sticking with it. I like the neo-noir feel. The "silent" protagonist cliché is quite tired, but at least this one has a "reason" for it. There's a lot of backstory here, and that should be fun to uncover provided the writers don't fall into heavy-handed exposition. Also, I hope the writers don't make the protagonists out to be too good. All of the music has been amazing.

GATE: Snoop Dogg and Pharrell can best sum up my feelings for this.

God Eater: Finally got around to the première. The opening and ending themes were great. The score was really good. You can tell this was adapted from a video game (though I never played them). Although the pacing was a little off, the episode was still pretty good. I also like that the writers chose not to give us some big exposition-heavy origin story for the Aragami or the main character. That kept the episode brisk, but in spots, it was a little too disjointed.

So far, the characters are pretty standard for an anime, but that's okay for now. The action, animation, art, and overall style are fantastic, enough to keep me around for a few episodes. But I think there will be enough here for me to finish it because it seems interesting enough. I hope this is this season's surprise anime as Rage of Bahamut: Genesis was for its season.

Rokka no Yuusha: Great opening and ending. Fantastic art and animation. Best protagonist of the season. The story is pretty standard so far, but the show is funny, heartfelt without being sappy, and it has handled the relationship between the two protagonists and their need to share their backstories quite well.

Ushio to Tora: Awesome.

Raxus

Charlotte should really be better than it is. I dunno how they botched a premise so bad. It is like My Hero Academia written by an idiot.

UtT continues to be a joy to watch. Will pick it up for its 39 episode run. Nice to know its from a finished manga too so we can get another great adaptation.

I really need to check out God Eater.

God Eater is a pretty show that's well directed in the service of absolutely nothing. It's like Attack on Titan except this MC has less character then Eren. Yes that is apparently possible.

I just want Ufotable and this director to work on something that's worth a damn.

Rakkety Tam

Neo Member
I don't pay attention to this thread for a couple of days and miss a new anime block. What the hell? Is Chiller's marketing team like just a guy working during his lunch break or something? Hope I have their network.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't pay attention to this thread for a couple of days and miss a new anime block. What the hell? Is Chiller's marketing team like just a guy working during his lunch break or something? Hope I have their network.

It's not worth watching, they literally picked the dullest series they could find. No way anyone with any knowledge of anime actually picks those shows. Bless DeMarco for actually giving a shit.

Squalor

Great animation, art, and direction mean the show is worth a damn.

The first episode leaves the impression that the supporting characters will be pretty interesting and funny. The dialogue was actually done quite well among Lindow's squad.

It's also nice the anime showed that, while the main character has latent talent and physical prowess (while also explaining the latter, which is pretty novel for an anime), he isn't just some uber-powered wrecking force. It showed his limitation, and right now it's pretty low.

He didn't just jump into the fray with god-tier abilities.

Other than that, he has just been the standard "I want to kill the evil things and save all the good things" protagonist.

It's weird, though. That's the same basic principle of the Rokka no Yuusha protagonist, but his personality is so much better. Adletto is fucking great, best protagonist this season as I said. His fighting style is something pretty uncommon to most anime characters, too, which is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom