• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jul15| Sentai finally noticed us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

i don't know much about K-On but apparently the first season is somewhat decent slice-of-life and the second really ratchets up the moe(shit)?

Ive heard some say that anyway.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Don't understand how K-on got the label as the moeshit destroy of manime when Lucky Star came out a year before it and Lucky Star is terrible. There's no way anyone could think K-On is worse then Chuu2 or KnK or the other shit KyoAni made after it.

Lucky Star is more cartoonish and less waifu-y, though. Not that that makes it any better or anything.

dan2026

1. Humanity is on the brink of extinction
2. MC is last survivor of race/clan/family
3. Introduce threat that wants to wipe out humanity
4. Grim, bleak overtones
5. ?????
6. PROFIT

1. Humanity is on the brink of extinction
2. MC is last survivor of race/clan/family
3. Introduce threat that wants to wipe out humanity
4. Grim, bleak overtones
Moe
6. PROFIT

As an expert in the industry. I fixed it for you.

Line_HTX

Don't understand how K-on got the label as the moeshit destroyer of manime when Lucky Star came out a year before it and Lucky Star is terrible. There's no way anyone could think K-On is worse then Chuu2 or KnK or the other shit KyoAni made after it.

Granted, I kind of liked K-On for a bit, but even I didn't understand that either. Hell, I liked K-On more than Lucky Star, haha. That's why I said Chuu2 is the Worst of ALL TIME. Like... I don't get why that behavior is even accepted... I don't know...

Nice Alice you got there. XD

Some of these EVO matches of Tekken and Persona... NEVER LUCKY

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Lucky Star was more "otaku humor with cuteness layer", K-On was more of the inspiration for the rest of the "cute girls do cute things slice of life" shows that'd follow and the cliche characters, like....

- The stupid/ditzy one
- The smart one. Usually wears glasses
- THE SUPER ULTRA MEGA ACTIVE ONE WITH TONS OF ENERGY WHO MIGHT ALSO BE SILLY AND/OR STUPID
- The quiet one
- The "normal" one

Lucky Star was more "otaku humor with cuteness layer", K-On was more of the inspiration for the rest of the "cute girls do cute things slice of life" shows that'd follow and the cliche characters, like....

- The stupid/ditzy one
- The smart one. Usually wears glasses
- THE SUPER ULTRA MEGA ACTIVE ONE WITH TONS OF ENERGY WHO MIGHT ALSO BE SILLY AND/OR STUPID
- The quiet one
- The "normal" one

It's not like that wasn't a thing before with Haruhi and Legend of Galactic Heroes and the like

LOLDSFAN

I miss blue exorcist moe blob

Y9aJdNs.gif

Grexeno

Guys how do I stream Toonami on Adult Swim's site. I'm going to be out of town tomorrow night but I still want to watch (I do have a cable account.)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
But Mako Mankanshoku is the exact replacement of Shiemi Moriyama.

Dat Christine Cabanos

Well, we could get Madoka Magica sometime down the road. There's plenty of Ms. Cabanos there.

And plenty of nightmare fuel. Hehehehehe HAHAHAHAHAHA

Crocodile

My understanding of K-On from never having watched it but just hearing about it is that it is an actually, legitimately good show (especially the second season) but obviously your mileage will vary depending on how much cute you can stomach. By all intents and purposes, its a better show than the 3451351353 shows it inspired.

So

Anyone have any plans this weekend? Other than Toonami obviously.

I'm probably gonna go see Ant-Man tommorow.

Just got back from the diner with my friends and I'll probably be out most of tonight with them again (may or may not make Toonami) so I consider it a good weekend so far.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
My understanding of K-On from never having watched it but just hearing about it is that it is an actually, legitimately good show (especially the second season) but obviously your mileage will vary depending on how much cute you can stomach. By all intents and purposes, its a better show than the 3451351353 shows it inspired.
It's not really an "awful" show by any means. It's just rather....meh. I think it's more known for kick-starting the wave of shows of cute girls doing cute things via slice of life.

At least shows like Nichijou or Azumanga Daioh, which had more females than males & the focus was on a group of girls, were hilarious slices of life because they expanded upon "let's have them do cute &/or silly things". Azumanga Daioh, for example, had the characters react to other characters when they did something cute & therefore was played for laughs.

Also, Nichijou had THIS.

tumblr_mq45t1YftI1rj8nzio1_400.gif

Raxus

Finally finished Batman, going to get back to Dragon's Dogma and DMC4 over the weekend. I was going to hang out with a friend but he won't be back until sunday night.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The difference being that Nichijou and Azumanga are both comedies that happen to be slices of life while K-On is pure slice of life.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The difference being that Nichijou and Azumanga are both comedies that happen to be slices of life while K-On is pure slice of life.
Fair enough. They were comedies first (& real funny ones, at that), and rather their setting was "slice of life", so maybe it's not as fair of a comparison.

Probably can't use Daily Life of Highschool Boys as well, considering it's part of the same comedic slice of life despite it just being about boys being......well, boys.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's a great example of one of those shows you discover because it makes for GREAT smaller clips on YouTube to discover, then you want to find more, & then eventually watch the series.

It's a huge shame that it was going to be brought over by Bandai, but they closed down their US distribution division before it could be released.....

Edit: Uh, okay, seems the manga is coming over next year by Vertical, but still no anime...it was distributed in Australia & (of all places) New Zealand by Madman Entertainment in 2011. Too bad I probably can't import them....

Daily Lives of High School Boys was really top tier comedy. Too bad it was never very succesful.
Seriously. It helped it had Sugita aka Gintoki from Gintama & Joseph from Jojo voicing one of the characters. I know NIS release the series, but sub only. It's a bit price, but nowhere near Aniplex prices.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well crap, 50% chance of scattered thunderstorms happening right when Toonami starts, not to mention 80% chance of it happening in about 2 hours....

Line_HTX

ENG Suguha = ENG Elphelt Valentine.

"EEP!" "SO MEAN!" "FRAG OUT!" "FIRE IN THE HOLE!" "BRIDAL EXPRESS!"

Then you take that and have a tournament mirror match where both players are very high level.

Yeah.... haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom