• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JulAug17| Most Definitely the Work of an Enemy Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

Weird, GAF wouldn't let me see page 55 for a moment there.

That's actually why I posted the blank post. It's a weird, rare, but minor glitch that happens sometimes and I don't think anybody knows why.

Just making another post on the new page fixes it though.

cntr

Banned
That's actually why I posted the blank post. It's a weird, rare, but minor glitch that happens sometimes and I don't think anybody knows why.

Just making another post on the new page fixes it though.
I've sometimes gotten a bug where someone makes a new post but it doesn't show up as being made in the subscription thread list, though I haven't seen it in a while. Wonder if that's related?

Funny that we're talking about this right after GitS, heh.

Seda

I also still can't get the updated NeoGAF live thread Chrome extension to actually work, but that's not a forum glitch.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
WVW69keRed0sdudkin

GAME OVER! LATER!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"DON'T BREAK IT!"

I don't know why, but I got a good laugh out of that dude caring so much about his cellphone.

Also lol Gon just breaks the chains like they're nothing

OOHHH SHHIIITTTT HISOKA ABOUT TO RUIN EVERYTHING

The realization that Kurapika and Ann Takamaki share the same voice.
Holy crap, WHAT?!? 1:30 & 2 a.m. are full of phantom thieves.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Hisoka's reaction to the fact he can't fight Chrollo anymore. Perhaps the first time we've seen his killer boner just shrivel up.

HOT DAMN, 2 spiders down. Super glad this didn't just devolve into "let's fight one or two of them at a time" like most shonen would've done, this has been so interesting.

OMG & they just happen to run into them at the auction. This episode has been hilarious.

As long as it's low on the happy-go-lucky misadventure vibe of the show before Yorknew. Doesn't have to be just as serious, but I could do without a return to early HxH.
HxH is pretty much not a happy go lucky anime anymore so don't worry. Greed Island isn't Yorknew dark, but it definitely has it moments of "for kids."

cntr

Banned
I sometimes wonder if Kishimoto was asked to extend the final arc because they didn't want the manga to end and stop making money.

Would, uh, explain a lot.

He was at one point.

He clearly either lost his passion or can't handle continue a story for years apon years.

Naruto has the same issue that DBZ did where the power escalation ended up swallowing up the plot. Every new threat had to outdo the previous and it ended up going completely off the rails.

Naruto really should have highlighted the various type of missions the character went on rather than these lengthy ass "Myth Arcs." Kishi was on point when he had a clear end game in sight. You can see that during the arcs like the Land of Waves, the Chuunin Exams, and even the Pain arc for the most part.

Him trying to do long scale arcs was just out of his wheelhouse and it showed.

I sometimes wonder if Kishimoto was asked to extend the final arc because they didn't want the manga to end and stop making money.

Would, uh, explain a lot.

I wouldn't be surprised. Everything about Pain screamed final boss, but then we get this sudden twist of
lawl, Tobi was the secret shadow boss the entire time

Morlas

thing is hinata would've been a much better 3rd protag than sakura for the story that kishimoto ends up telling since what is sakura? some nobody that happens to be the friend of these 2 destiny children?

cntr

Banned
Just have Rock Lee and Hinata as Naruto's friends, Neji as the stuck-up rival, and Gaara as the rival-turned-friend.

cntr

Banned
He was at one point.

He clearly either lost his passion or can't handle continue a story for years apon years.
In retrospect, tbh, you can see some of the flaws that eventually doomed Naruto right from the beginning.

I think Kishimoto must've been thinking about how to write Naruto long before he started it, so everything was great since he had enough time to think it over. And then it fell apart once he ran out of planned material at the time skip. Same goes for Kubo and Bleach.

It's basically the equivalent of how bands' second albums tend to be worse than the first.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
HxH:

I liked seeing Kurapika be totally shook at the beginning of last night's episode. It seems a bit like a stupid time for it, but it's one of the few times where I felt the series logic was more relatable, rather than just being exaggerated into something cool and tense looking.

I'm glad it doesn't happen, but I always feel like Melody has no right to obviously be out and in front of trained killer enemies. Especially with this shows fetish of quick head-related damage and removals. She WAS the information network he relied on, and he obviously deferred to her at times where he shouldn't have been showing the enemy how dependent he was on her observations. He seriously put her life in danger, and I'm surprised if she can go about living normally after all this.

Paku's overall actions within the ep were nice. They played her seriously and fully understanding of he place in the situation the whole time, and didn't feel a need to over "dark" it up, or make her seem overly-crafty or edgy at inappropriate times. I'm quite glad they didn't feed a need to give her "badass" inner monologues, or to show her acting furious with Kurapika. It let us breath with the idea that she was a more understanding, thoughtful, heart-feeling member of the group, and didn't muck it up much with out time with her.

The ending was all over the place in the way of big build-ups leading to unexpected results. It encompasses what we've been shown of the Phantom Troupe itself, though: They're straightforward at first.. and second glance, but there's always some weird working in the background that tries to do something different.

The few moments of "comedy" within the ep were cool with the seriousness we had to face. In a way, it's probably one of the more consistent episodes of the show for me thus far. So why'd the Narrator have to poke a few holes into it with the "Yorknew END, Greed Island BEGIN!" commentary? I actually thought it organic how Gon and Kil were hoisted out of their situation, went through a bunch of unexpected circumstances, and then bolted back to what they were doing at the end. And a few Troupe members chillin in the auction house itself (back in business, regardless of the huge massacre that happened mere days ago) was very... this series. Gon's subtle concern about Paku spoke well to his twisted, yet somewhat understandable world view... and it all would have nice to end on silence, but alas...

-----

"Rupan Sansei" (I love the way he says his name in the Pre-Op sequence in Japanese)

This Episode of Lupin kinda mixes right alongside the "Jigen's Gravestone" movie in my mind. Maybe because they're both stories that play with the idea that Jigen is involved with a lot more Cutthroat situations than Animated Lupin himself.

I LOVE how Thoughtful Zenigata is in this series. He's a product of chasing Lupin for years here, rather than a bumbling 80s toon P.I, as he is in some other series. This serious side of him is played up all throught the Italian adventure, and I love the series for it.

The doctor in this ep also was gorgeous from scene one. When I first saw how expressively her eyes were drawn originally, I figured she HAD to be Fujiko. Obviously, that idea was quickly destroyed.

Literally getting to let her hair down, after being the cornerstone of everything wrong in that town, was a nice breather. Every other show on the block, besides GiTS, will fail at making me enjoy their mental gymnastics, compared to Lupin. Not to say there's not some Shark-Jumping within this series, but I like the way it moves, the way the characters react, and the way the music and scene-framing push this all along.

Take example of Zenigata's explanation of how Jigen handled the final fight. Since it's a second hand view, we can believe the parts that might be a bit embellished. Even if this is all within Jigen's skillset, seeing him do it as a normal part of the episode, would feel a bit more forced, and expected. We still saw the full context of the situation, we still saw the animation we wanted to see (No offscreen-only fight here!), but it's delivered in such a nice way here, that even gives other character a chance to let their personalities shine a bit.

A moment that could singularly be used to make 1 character look like the best thing ever, was skillfully manipulated to deepen our understanding of the main cast long-lasting relationships.

So nice having Lupin on the block.

---

AoOMGERWIN'SARM

I actually really like the way this series handles characters insanity. It feels like the author knows all his characters are hella broken, and he actually knows that showing everyone's style in the same way would be lame. Armin is as dependent on Eren being there as Mikasa is... but his "weaponization" of insanity is much more reserved and... feminine, in a way, than Mikasa's, which is more blunt and blatantly masculine. Our main trio is a more interesting version of Naruto's Squad 7 in a way, with some nice deviations on who plays what role, and even more importantly, how the world around them reacts to their personalities.

Using an Army of Titans to bring down an Armored Titan was legit nice strategy. I love how Mikasa can give "Peering through the cracks" stares that are just as piercing and threatening as beings 100s of times bigger, but equally threatening, as her.

S2 has been quite the ride. I don't look forward to show the show the same way I would a Space Dandy, but at the same time, I feel more rewarded after watching it than I do other shows. There's just enough subtle admittance that the characters in story aren't over-sold on who they are (unless it's appropriate, like with Eren), and that the show is willing to work all angles of a situation, that it's melodrama feels more relatable and calculated, for me. I also feel like it's art consistently know exactly how far to take dramatizing a moment, to where I'm at the same place they are. Even Most BESM-style Historia isn't off-limits from "I've seen some sh--" eyes, and even if everyone is putting their lives on the line to save the main character, it's nto for his inherit skill, as we're not about point out how much of a jobber he is in most situation. Paired alongside were Naruto Shippuden is right now, it's quite polarizing how much better Titan is handling the "Golden Boy" archetype.

-----

Tokyo Ghoul:

Whateverhisname's Daughter is kinda fun. I found it funny how she spent 30 seconds explaining how formal vs informal speech might save her 30 seconds over the years time.

I kept expecting Touka's friend to get hit by a car while crossing the street, or get beheaded by the Phantom Troupe while giving a thumbs up. I know this show has no chill with trying to push poorly seeded feels, and the focus on her relationship with her friend pangs like the posting of a death flag from word one.

HxH:

I liked seeing Kurapika be totally shook at the beginning of last night's episode. It seems a bit like a stupid time for it, but it's one of the few times where I felt the series logic was more relatable, rather than just being exaggerated into something cool and tense looking.

I'm glad it doesn't happen, but I always feel like Melody has no right to obviously be out and in front of trained killer enemies. Especially with this shows fetish of quick head-related damage and removals. She WAS the information network he relied on, and he obviously deferred to her at times where he shouldn't have been showing the enemy how dependent he was on her observations. He seriously put her life in danger, and I'm surprised if she can go about living normally after all this.

Paku's overall actions within the ep were nice. They played her seriously and fully understanding of he place in the situation the whole time, and didn't feel a need to over "dark" it up, or make her seem overly-crafty or edgy at inappropriate times. I'm quite glad they didn't feed a need to give her "badass" inner monologues, or to show her acting furious with Kurapika. It let us breath with the idea that she was a more understanding, thoughtful, heart-feeling member of the group, and didn't muck it up much with out time with her.

The ending was all over the place in the way of big build-ups leading to unexpected results. It encompasses what we've been shown of the Phantom Troupe itself, though: They're straightforward at first.. and second glance, but there's always some weird working in the background that tries to do something different.

The few moments of "comedy" within the ep were cool with the seriousness we had to face. In a way, it's probably one of the more consistent episodes of the show for me thus far. So why'd the Narrator have to poke a few holes into it with the "Yorknew END, Greed Island BEGIN!" commentary? I actually thought it organic how Gon and Kil were hoisted out of their situation, went through a bunch of unexpected circumstances, and then bolted back to what they were doing at the end. And a few Troupe members chillin in the auction house itself (back in business, regardless of the huge massacre that happened mere days ago) was very... this series. Gon's subtle concern about Paku spoke well to his twisted, yet somewhat understandable world view... and it all would have nice to end on silence, but alas...
Just to remind you that Melody doesn't naturally look like that. She's nice and a sweet person, but Melody has seen some shit. I don't think she was heavily troubled by what she went through in this arc nor has it colored her negatively towards Kurapika.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Just to remind you that Melody doesn't naturally look like that. She's nice and a sweet person, but Melody has seen some shit. I don't think she was heavily troubled by what she went through in this arc nor has it colored her negatively towards Kurapika.

Yea, she's got a goal of her own and is essentially using the same plan Kurapika is (joining the mafia as a bodyguard) to fulfill it. A normal life went out the window for Melody that night she got drunk and listened to her friend play a part of that sonata.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Oh, that's not what I meant, sorry. I wasn't thinking seeing such events should scar her, I was thinking having herself revealed to be such a strong, viable tool for info-gathering and such should make her a target for either outright assassination, or strategic capture.

If I was Chrollo, I'd hunt her down, and use her to find those few people who can unlock Nen seals, for example. All the founding Troupe members now know she's an excellent tracker and basically serves the same function as Paku, to work as a lie detector. Even without the need to chase after the Chain User, she'd be worth hunting down and making use of. She also displayed no real ability to fend for herself so far, so singling her out and doing whatever to her appears to be a cinch.

Beheaded dog-dude from a few eps back suggest that Kurap's squad thinks they can go back to the way things were after finishing this job. Like they'd keep their anonymity, and can take normal jobs, or continue to pursue their own ventures. Should that... really be possible now, with as far as they went?

Oh, that's not what I meant, sorry. I wasn't thinking seeing such events should scar her, I was thinking having herself revealed to be such a strong, viable tool for info-gathering and such should make her a target for either outright assassination, or strategic capture.

If I was Chrollo, I'd hunt her down, and use her to find those few people who can unlock Nen seals, for example. All the founding Troupe members now know she's an excellent tracker and basically serves the same function as Paku, to work as a lie detector. Even without the need to chase after the Chain User, she'd be worth hunting down and making use of. She also displayed no real ability to fend for herself so far, so singling her out and doing whatever to her appears to be a cinch.

Beheaded dog-dude from a few eps back suggest that Kurap's squad thinks they can go back to the way things were after finishing this job. Like they'd keep their anonymity, and can take normal jobs, or continue to pursue their own ventures. Should that... really be possible now, with as far as they went?
I think Chrollo knows that Melody would never willingly join the Troupe. That's not the kind of group where you're kidnapped or forced into it. Everybody there wants to be there. Regarding the rest of Kurapika's crew in this arc I honestly think after this they straight up work for Kurapika. CNTR can and will most likely correct me on this one.

This incarnation of "You Can Smile" is still mine:

Gon's subtle concern about Paku spoke well to his twisted, yet somewhat understandable world view... and it all would have nice to end on silence, but alas...

What do you mean here?

Gon's meddling, or Phinks's lingering on the "Paku was very thankful to both of you."? (The latter kinda being the anime taking a liberty to get the message across thoroughly. Personally, I prefer it this way)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I think Chrollo knows that Melody would never willingly join the Troupe. That's not the kind of group where you're kidnapped or forced into it. Everybody there wants to be there. Regarding the rest of Kurapika's crew in this arc I honestly think after this they straight up work for Kurapika. CNTR can and will most likely correct me on this one.

I mean, even Nobunaga wanted to chase after Gon and Kil after seeing their skills. If Chrollo doesn't force her to join the group, that still doesn't mean he wouldn't separately hire her by proxy + have her eliminated afterwards, or that Hisoka won't try to use her to get to the gang.

I'm not so much saying this is exactly how things would happen, but it still just seems like one of those weird gaps / applications of logic that feel "meh" to me in the show. I'm being told at one side that Kurapika is an incredibly meticulous guy that well through out his approach to things... and properly, at the same time, have some oversights that he's avoiding looking at, that are being pointed out. But revealing the face of such a vital member (and others) right in front of the leader of the big bad, your mole in the big-bad group, and a 3rd member with powers you don't entirely understand... it just seems sloppy. Not to mention all the other factions and super powers that could be observing your situation, too.

But maybe, it's just I'm not falling for the show's personal conceit? The scenes afterwards are obviously telling me Evil bad Phantom Troupe isn't as evil bad as one would think! They have members with heart, there's some flavor of "honor among thieves" with them not being pissed at Chain User's pals, and relationships are all reset so that the next arch can comfortably start without baggage. Obviously, this is the story I have to accept for now... but still feels weird to me.

What do you mean here?

Gon's meddling, or Phinks's lingering on the "Paku was very thankful to both of you."? (The latter kinda being the anime taking a liberty to get the message across thoroughly. Personally, I prefer it this way)

Neither, actually. I thought what went on between the characters was decent. The way the show was working it out was nice, and somewhat engrossing... until the narrator threw in that line about one arch ending, and other beginning. The feeling shift went from one were I felt I was left to play with my own feelings, organically... to a big flashing, gaudy sign that promoted the next piece off a production line. It was oddly jarring, especially because I don't think they've ever been so 4th wall breaking with the narrator before.

Xe4

Banned
I mean, even Nobunaga wanted to chase after Gon and Kil after seeing their skills. If Chrollo doesn't force her to join the group, that still doesn't mean he wouldn't separately hire her by proxy + have her eliminated afterwards, or that Hisoka won't try to use her to get to the gang.

I'm not so much saying this is exactly how things would happen, but it still just seems like one of those weird gaps / applications of logic that feel "meh" to me in the show. I'm being told at one side that Kurapika is an incredibly meticulous guy that well through out his approach to things... and properly, at the same time, have some oversights that he's avoiding looking at, that are being pointed out. But revealing the face of such a vital member (and others) right in front of the leader of the big bad, your mole in the big-bad group, and a 3rd member with powers you don't entirely understand... it just seems sloppy. Not to mention all the other factions and super powers that could be observing your situation, too.

But maybe, it's just I'm not falling for the show's personal conceit? The scenes afterwards are obviously telling me Evil bad Phantom Troupe isn't as evil bad as one would think! They have members with heart, there's some flavor of "honor among thieves" with them not being pissed at Chain User's pals, and relationships are all reset so that the next arch can comfortably start without baggage. Obviously, this is the story I have to accept for now... but still feels weird to me.

But Paku already knows about melody, when she asked Killua what he was hiding. That's why she knew of her powers. So having Pakunoda around the boss wouldn't lead anyone else to knowing, I think. Plus he restricted both of them from talking to anyone on pain of death. If Paku or Chrollo told the troupe they would die (as Pakunoda did).

I mean one would have to assume that Melody is an easy person to find and also that the Troupe doesn't have better things to do after this arc. Yeah if they wanted to they could start a war...again and go after Melody and Kurapika's mob friends, but I honestly think that after this they just licked their wounds a bit and did lower key things...they're still quite active, but I think they just realized to leave Kurapika the fuck alone. Also yes Kurapika is a bit sloppy. He's meticulous yes, but him left to his own devices isn't the best thing for Kurapika. I personally find that he's at his best with cooler heads like Leeorio and Melody assisting him. I think the whole arc was to show that as much as Kurapika likes to think he's above it he'll let his vengeance boner get the better of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom