• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JulAug17| Most Definitely the Work of an Enemy Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I mean one would have to assume that Melody is an easy person to find and also that the Troupe doesn't have better things to do after this arc. Yeah if they wanted to they could start a war...again and go after Melody and Kurapika's mob friends, but I honestly think that after this they just licked their wounds a bit and did lower key things...they're still quite active, but I think they just realized to leave Kurapika the fuck alone. Also yes Kurapika is a bit sloppy. He's meticulous yes, but him left to his own devices isn't the best thing for Kurapika. I personally find that he's at his best with cooler heads like Leeorio and Melody assisting him. I think the whole arc was to show that as much as Kurapika likes to think he's above it he'll let his vengeance boner get the better of him.

I mean, he also gave up on killing Chrollo to get his friends back. Something Sauce for example wouldn't have done.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Finally watching Lupin. Good lord, I've forgotten how slow the internet is at my dad's place, would've taken forever to get through Lupin & GitS.

Oh cool, Jigen focused episode, this should be good.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
But Paku already knows about melody, when she asked Killua what he was hiding. That's why she knew of her powers. So having Pakunoda around the boss wouldn't lead anyone else to knowing, I think. Plus he restricted both of them from talking to anyone on pain of death. If Paku or Chrollo told the troupe they would die (as Pakunoda did).

Paku showed well that using death as a deterrent means very little in this universe, as has the show in general. I can accept that still, though, under the shows personal conceit.

I thought the whole phone-tag / passing the phone between members stuff in both episodes it happened was incredibly weird too. One of the base things every thriller does is disguise the voice of those on the phone, right? But it at least got us some funny disrespect between Kurapika and Phinks Kisaragi Senketsu, so...

I mean one would have to assume that Melody is an easy person to find and also that the Troupe doesn't have better things to do after this arc. Yeah if they wanted to they could start a war...again and go after Melody and Kurapika's mob friends, but I honestly think that after this they just licked their wounds a bit and did lower key things...they're still quite active, but I think they just realized to leave Kurapika the fuck alone. Also yes Kurapika is a bit sloppy. He's meticulous yes, but him left to his own devices isn't the best thing for Kurapika. I personally find that he's at his best with cooler heads like Leeorio and Melody assisting him. I think the whole arc was to show that as much as Kurapika likes to think he's above it he'll let his vengeance boner get the better of him.

I liked watching Kura get brought down a peg. A lot of the way the show checks it's cast with the other members is actually something I generally enjoy. But the weird gaps and over-and-under-emphasis of certain things just feels so weird to me at times. It's definitely what ultimately keeps me from legit lookin' forward to the show, it's pieces are just all over the place.

Like I said in the earlier post, it's quite unfair that Lupin shares the block with the show now, haha. I watched it on Crunchy last year, and yet I still find myself drawn back in as if I'm watching it for the first time. It's internal logic is so simple, but it works, and the way these amazingly dated characters and concepts are sneakily updated and kept relevant still impresses me. And as much as I love the JP Voice Cast (Jigen's Seiyuu brings an age and wisdom to the role that even Epcar doesn't match, for example), the English cast is such a solid re-interpretation of them, that it feels like a separate show.

But anyway, onto Greed Island! Considering how different my feelings seem to be from the average HxH fan, I wouldn't be surprised to like this one more than Yorknew, lol. I enjoy this show so much more when it's crazy kill boner takes a rest, and it stops trying to shock me.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It's also that they were afraid of the Nen he put on Chrollo getting stronger due to his grudge if they killed him off, potentially making it impossible to remove.

But anyway, onto Greed Island! Considering how different my feelings seem to be from the average HxH fan, I wouldn't be surprised to like this one more than Yorknew, lol. I enjoy this show so much more when it's crazy kill boner takes a rest, and it stops trying to shock me.

Greed Island is interesting in that it's a love letter to the RPG-style games Togashi loves to play. If anyone ever made an actually version of Greed Island I'd play the crap out of it.

It's also that they were afraid of the Nen he put on Chrollo getting stronger due to his grudge if they killed him off, potentially making it impossible to remove.
Even after it was removed Chrollo didn't even think to go after Kurapika.
I mean, he also gave up on killing Chrollo to get his friends back. Something Sauce for example wouldn't have done.
It took forever for Sasuke to actually...learn his lesson though. The pacing on his character development was a shit show.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I see Eric the Unkiller is a fan of Dark Souls.

Man, not only did I miss an excellent episode of HxH with you guys, but that was also a rather good episode of Lupin as well.

It has recently come to my attention there are King of the Hill animation notes.

DE5_NHPJU0_AAWd_Gx.jpg

DE5_NHPh_VYAA4_E4s.jpg

DE5_NHPd_Vw_AAwz77.jpg

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Greed Island is interesting in that it's a love letter to the RPG-style games Togashi loves to play. If anyone ever made an actually version of Greed Island I'd play the crap out of it.

I know nothing about it yet, but I always think games within Anime should have some way to get decent versions of them, lol. An RPG love letter should be pretty fun, so definitely lookin' forward to seeing how it gels with me.

SAB CA, are you ready to become... PREDICTABO?

I'LL STAIN MAI HANZ... WIT YER BRUD! *Ahem* That was pleasantly shocking for me. Even if Harada's mentioned it before, there's lots of stuff I'd have expected first. And the way they handled his voice actually sounds utterly EXCELLENT. AND HIS STAGE. ANd MAxMODE! AnD RAGING STORM, AND RASHOMON! AND COUNTERS! For just pure Tekken stuff, it's combining Eliza with Asuka. I'll probably play him more in this than I do in KOF series, and he's one of my revolving mains in XIV.

I can say they elevated me from "I might buy the DLC if I like it..." to "You guys deserve my season pass money!". Pair that alongside ASW giving me a way to beat on their characters with the UNIEL characters I love more than theirs, and this... is a weird crossover-combination EVO. And Hokuto no SHIRASHI and Skullmania, and...

I'm glad these reveals were today. I mighta opted out of Toonami if this kinda stuff was being revealed during the late hours last night.

How about you? Which were your favorite announcements? I know most knew Tekken's DLC pass was all guest, so the first time I saw someone say "Oh, but I wanted Lei instead!" it struck me really oddly, lol. I could see how more dedicated Tekken fans might be more off put by this.

Mizerman

Jubei finally shows up in Blazblue.

Geese is in Tekken.

There's a crossover tag with Blazblue, Persona w/ Ruby.

Jedah reappears.

DBFZ. Nuff said.

...My body is ready, but I'm not sure if my wallet is.

Putting a speed mode in Final Fantasy XII does make me want to try it again.

I was never really drawn into the story of that game, but if the gameplay was faster, I might enjoy it.

Line_HTX

I'LL STAIN MAI HANZ... WIT YER BRUD! *Ahem* That was pleasantly shocking for me. Even if Harada's mentioned it before, there's lots of stuff I'd have expected first. And the way they handled his voice actually sounds utterly EXCELLENT. AND HIS STAGE. ANd MAxMODE! AnD RAGING STORM, AND RASHOMON! AND COUNTERS! For just pure Tekken stuff, it's combining Eliza with Asuka. I'll probably play him more in this than I do in KOF series, and he's one of my revolving mains in XIV.

I can say they elevated me from "I might buy the DLC if I like it..." to "You guys deserve my season pass money!". Pair that alongside ASW giving me a way to beat on their characters with the UNIEL characters I love more than theirs, and this... is a weird crossover-combination EVO. And Hokuto no SHIRASHI and Skullmania, and...

I'm glad these reveals were today. I mighta opted out of Toonami if this kinda stuff was being revealed during the late hours last night.

How about you? Which were your favorite announcements? I know most knew Tekken's DLC pass was all guest, so the first time I saw someone say "Oh, but I wanted Lei instead!" it struck me really oddly, lol. I could see how more dedicated Tekken fans might be more off put by this.

I loved the announcements. It made me love Namco and ASW even more than before, and I absolutely loved that they are stepping up to essentially say no more Capcom mediocrity and no more accepting that Capcom games are the way to go to play for a long run. It's way past time for other fighters to get recognized and make people move away from SF spectator and playing wise, and that includes DBFZ as well. I am so happy that Tekken 7 got the Ric Flair crowd treatment, WHOO!!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Putting a speed mode in Final Fantasy XII does make me want to try it again.

I was never really drawn into the story of that game, but if the gameplay was faster, I might enjoy it.

My biggest problem with FF XII is how poorly it ran on the PS2.

Hell I just bought a PS4 to play this...but I'll wait for it to go on sale.

Neither, actually. I thought what went on between the characters was decent. The way the show was working it out was nice, and somewhat engrossing... until the narrator threw in that line about one arch ending, and other beginning. The feeling shift went from one were I felt I was left to play with my own feelings, organically... to a big flashing, gaudy sign that promoted the next piece off a production line. It was oddly jarring, especially because I don't think they've ever been so 4th wall breaking with the narrator before.

Oh right. That threw me off even back then. A similar type of directness happens one more time

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

You forgot UNIEL! It's the big deal there, lol. But wallet wallet wise, I'm glad all this stuff is spread between different time, and much of it will be near full-game hype, but not cost full-game price (like Geese DLC).

I loved the announcements. It made me love Namco and ASW even more than before, and I absolutely loved that they are stepping up to essentially say no more Capcom mediocrity and no more accepting that Capcom games are the way to go to play for a long run. It's way past time for other fighters to get recognized and make people move away from SF spectator and playing wise, and that includes DBFZ as well. I am so happy that Tekken 7 got the Ric Flair crowd treatment, WHOO!!

I always find the idea it pushes us away from Capcom, weird at a Capcom-led event, lol. It's especially bad when every other company shows they learn from each other (Geese's T7 trailer obviously takes inspiration from his KOF XIV trailer, Trunks trailer is almost 100% a Smash Bros intro trailer, etc), yet Capcom gets up and has the most unorganized intro for a character we should all be massively hyped to see return. The industry and genre is so strong when they take cues from each other, and respect and reflect on each others talent.

If people look away from Capcom, it's their own fault... but also yay to the others who are willing and ready to fill the gaps. Capcom's loss is everyone else's more even playing field.

Oh right. That threw me off even back then. A similar type of directness happens one more time

It's really minor, but just... weird. I feel like there's something about the shows rating or the manga that makes it sensible... but I don't know that at all, lol.

Chase17

Jubei finally shows up in Blazblue.

Geese is in Tekken.

Jedah reappears.

DBFZ. Nuff said.

Can now add giant street fighter guy to the list lol.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Abigail is a mountain of a man. Like really, he might be a mountain made out of men.

Feels like 90s Capcom designs in spirit, so I'm ok with it. Need to watch that trailer again, because the actual design style overshadowed my full appreciation for much of it, lol.

I Need some help from you guys if possible. I've settled on my next avatar but the main problem is that the quality of it isn't great. Is there a higher quality version of this image somewhere?

If not then my options are either one of these three images with the focus being on her face. Between these three, what would look the best if I can't find a better quality image of the first one? Thanks in advance.

Edit: the quality of the three images are better on my end. For whatever reason the links here are not that great.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Abigail looks like he was designed by Oda.

GIven the fact that old brown Luffy that ate the Meru Meru no Mi fruit is in the same game... Ok. I'd rather have him than Wapol, too.

As long as Menat doesn't look like Monster Granny. Though a granny character would be pretty interesting to see in SF.

Boi, if you don't...

GIven the fact that old brown Luffy that ate the Meru Meru no Mi fruit is in the same game... Ok. I'd rather have him than Wapol, too.

As long as Menat doesn't look like Monster Granny. Though a granny character would be pretty interesting to see in SF.

Dhalsim's ult is basically Gum Gum Baloon mixed with Franky's Fresh Fire.

First character that came to mind.

I mean, it just literally took me out of the experience a little there - as if the show did actually break momentarily

Just a strange thing to go into montage mode over (if you could call it that)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I mean, it just literally took me out of the experience a little there - as if the show did actually break momentarily

Just a strange thing to go into montage mode over (if you could call it that)

It was a good way to show what he's dealing with very quickly. That said, it might have been a little long for what they needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom