• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JulAug17| Most Definitely the Work of an Enemy Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll stay up for this AoT first episode of the 2nd season. It brings the despair and the only episode that goes so fucking well with the END song.

Xe4

Banned
I stay till the end of every Toonami block cause I may as well. And I liked AoT S2 well enough, so why not. But I probably won't post much. So I may as well not be here, lol.

RagnarokX

but major

the hollywood adaptation said that it's not our memories that define us, it's our actions

are you saying you can change your memories, which could also possibly change the actions you perform?

She's saying memories don't matter and are just things she can change to suit the situation.

BBboy20

There actually a lot more I wanted to say when I was on the ToonamiGAF podcast but when 3/4 folks were like not as enthusiastic as you are, you kind-of feel like you have to back off.

All this talk about switching bodies and whatnot in GitS reminds me that for my Xenoblade Chronicles X run I based my character on the Major since Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is one of the voice options in the game. Didn't know how fitting it would be.

RagnarokX

All this talk about switching bodies and whatnot in GitS reminds me that for my Xenoblade Chronicles X run I based my character on the Major since Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is one of the voice options in the game. Didn't know how fitting it would be.
And also she sings all of the vocal songs in the Silent Hill games.

If you die, you're fired.

It's expressive animation. Not everything needs to be wholly realistic. You could argue it doesn't fit the tone of the rest of the show (though I would actually disagree), but as a fight on it's own there's nothing wrong with it. Indeed, more fights need to do stuff like this (IMO). The over reliance on being on model and "realistic" reduces the possibilities of what can be done in a fight. To see a show that takes full advantage of realism being thrown away at times, see Samurai Jack.

That gif he showed is probably not a good example of it being done super well to be honest. Forget being expressive animation or "realistic". Just the act of Pain getting slammed repeatedly on the head with a giant rock until he was a head sticking out of the ground with super serious music over top it would have been hilarious either way.

The animation was fantastic but there were some bits that clearly didn't end up the way they wanted it to. Those fucked faces probably weren't intended to be as laugh inducing as they wanted. I'm happy they were here though. I had a good laugh and these gifs are priceless. I wouldn't have changed it at all.

Seda

random: I don't mind when a dub implies the speakers are actually talking in a different language. Like I don't think it's a problem at all honestly.

RagnarokX

random: I don't mind when a dub implies the speakers are actually talking in a different language. Like I don't think it's a problem at all honestly.

It struck me kinda weird when they implied that but gave the cops stereotypical american cop voices.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, neither am I.

I'd call it a positive actually, especially in Jojo, where it's explicitly acknowledged in the manga that they usually aren't speaking in Japanese.

I've heard of a recut of the Part 3 OVAs which edits together the dubs to have everybody be speaking a context-appropriate language. So it's mostly in English, but Jotaro speaks to people in Japan and thinks to himself in Japanese, for example.

Xe4

Banned
That gif he showed is probably not a good example of it being done super well to be honest. Forget being expressive animation or "realistic". Just the act of Pain getting slammed repeatedly on the head with a giant rock until he was a head sticking out of the ground with super serious music over top it would have been hilarious either way.

The animation was fantastic but there were some bits that clearly didn't end up the way they wanted it to. Those fucked faces probably weren't intended to be as laugh inducing as they wanted. I'm happy they were here though. I had a good laugh and these gifs are priceless. I wouldn't have changed it at all.

It's also one of those things where people use same three gifs/images to try to prove the point that the whole fight is awful. I didn't mind a single bit of animation in the fight, though I understand why there was some stuff people thought was awkward.

Seda

I've heard of a recut of the Part 3 OVAs which edits together the dubs to have everybody be speaking a context-appropriate language. So it's mostly in English, but Jotaro speaks to people in Japan and thinks to himself in Japanese, for example.

One thing that was kinda neat in the Black Lagoon dub is that, obviously most of the characters speak English most of the time, but when the visit Japan, they have Rock speak Japanese at times to other Japanese people. Like the English VA actually was speaking Japanese words and translating for Balalaika (who is Russian). It kind of implies they all speak English when speaking to each other commonly.

So like, I guess the Japanese version is implying they aren't speaking Japanese amongst each other (why would Revy or Dutch etc know Japanese?)

RagnarokX

If you die, you're fired.

It's expressive animation. Not everything needs to be wholly realistic. You could argue it doesn't fit the tone of the rest of the show (though I would actually disagree), but as a fight on it's own there's nothing wrong with it. Indeed, more fights need to do stuff like this (IMO). The over reliance on being on model and "realistic" reduces the possibilities of what can be done in a fight. To see a show that takes full advantage of realism being thrown away at times, see Samurai Jack.

I'm not talking about the animation or realism. It's inconsistent within the show. Pain doesn't have the ability to withstand that kind of attack. That Pain is entirely dependent on his push ability and the other Pains to prevent direct hits. They could have been just as epic and still stayed consistent.

cntr

Banned
I bet characters in FMA aren't speaking Japanese
Amestris and Xing are alternate Germany and China, so presumably FMA takes place mostly in the alternate equivalents of German and Chinese.

One thing that was kinda neat in the Black Lagoon dub is that, obviously most of the characters speak English most of the time, but when the visit Japan, they have Rock speak Japanese at times to other Japanese people. Like the English VA actually was speaking Japanese words and translating for Balalaika (who is Russian). It kind of implies they all speak English when speaking to each other commonly.

So like, I guess the Japanese version is implying they aren't speaking Japanese amongst each other (why would Revy or Dutch etc know Japanese?)
Huh, that's really cool.

Xe4

Banned

Yeah, that was absolutely one of my favorite things about the dub. Although I'm a little disappointing that the anime didn't have it that nobody knows what anyone else says.

The manga takes it a step even further and Revy doesn't understand Yukio & GInji ata all and they didn't understand her back. Though that's hardly a fault of the dub.

I'm not talking about the animation or realism. It's inconsistent within the show. Pain doesn't have the ability to withstand that kind of attack. They could have been just as epic and still stayed consistent.
I don't see it as that inconsistent. It can easily be explained away that the real pain was giving it his all as he didn't want his plan to fall apart. It was clear from the beginning that the last of the fake pains was by far the strongest.

RagnarokX

I don't see it as that inconsistent. It can easily be explained away that the real pain was giving it his all as he didn't want his plan to fall apart. It was clear from the beginning that the last of the fake pains was by far the strongest.
Because his ability allows him to block all attacks with only a 5 second window between uses, and he can use it to nuke towns and create gravity wells. That body is just as fragile as all the other bodies.

Still the most gruesome part of this season for me. Aside from what happened at the tower.

And it being followed by this ending for the first time didn't help my insides.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Next week on Toonami:

8:00 - Dragon Ball Super - 27 - The Earth Explodes?! A Decisive Kamehameha!
8:30 - Dragon Ball Super - 28 - The 6th Universe's Destroyer: His Name is Champa!
11:00 - Dragon Ball Super - 28 - The 6th Universe's Destroyer: His Name is Champa!
11:30 - Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters - 127 - For His Beloved Ones... The End of the Proud Warrior!
12:00 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders - 2 - Who Will Be the Judge!?
12:30 - Tokyo Ghoul √A - 5 - Rift
1:00 - HUNTER×HUNTER - 61 - Invitation × And × Friend
1:30 - Lupin the Third Part IV - 7 - Until the Full Moon Passes
2:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 168 - The Fourth Hokage
2:30 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - 25 - BARRAGE
3:00 - Attack on Titan - 27 - I'm Home
3:30 - Samurai Jack - 58 - XCVII

Later.

Seda

Because his ability allows him to block all attacks with only a 5 second window between uses, and he can use it to nuke towns and create gravity wells. That body is just as fragile as all the other bodies.

I think you are thinking about this too rigidly.

Xe4

Banned
I don't really see it as a big deal, especially since it's not breaking any in universe lore (that I know of) that said he had to be just as weak. It's just a fight, there were lots of stuff he could have done to keep himself moving. It's clear the show has never been about having strict rules for what a person can and cannot survive. That's really up to the author and animators.
That's really cool.
The Black Lagoon manga is really well written. It's also one of the few where the TV adaptation mostly does it justice, which is why both are so good.

Anyways, great night tonight. See ya'll later!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"For His Beloved Ones... The End of the Proud Warrior!"

oh no, is someone who's most likely vegeta gonna sacrifice themself in order to defeat someone evil, only for it to not matter because it won't defeat the villain & they'll just be brought back to life like they do for everyone else

guess i'll have to find out next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom