• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JulAug17| Most Definitely the Work of an Enemy Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
OcDqmCn.gif

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"p5a" meant Persona 5 ANIMATION, NOT Arena?

WE NEVER SAW IT COOOMMMIINNNGGG

I look forward to it. I enjoyed the P4 one, though heard very mixed reactions to Golden's anime (which is understandable, it's basically NG+ so the pacing can feel really off & it really depends on how much you like Marie + the new content).

My only question is how they'll handle social links since half of them required you to go into Mementos to complete a request in order to progress & I'd argue they feel more important to the MC/story compared to P4 due to how they help you & your party out, like learning gun skills.

Grexeno

Reposting for a new day!

ToonamiGAF Podcast's Toonami 5th Anniversary Show Ranking!
[Episode 66]

Grexeno, Seda, ckohler, and B-Dubs just spent SIX HOURS ranking the around 45 shows that have aired since the rebirth of Toonami in the order they aired. However, we did not include DB Super, Lupin the 3rd or Stardust Crusaders due to their "newness" and a couple of shows (Jojo and Jack) were split due to their seasons being radically different.

This list reflects are our four combined opinions. We made cases for and against each show and all four of us had to make compromises to reach a consensus. You can listen to our debate by downloading the following two MP3 files. These will also be available in the podcast feed.

Listen to Part One (1h 30m)
Listen to Part Two (4h 38m)

The Final List

Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Space Dandy
One Punch Man
Gurren Lagann
One Piece
Hunter x Hunter
Black Lagoon
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Battle Tendency
11. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
12. Samurai Jack
13. Samurai Jack Season 5
14. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood
15. Soul Eater
16. Samurai Champloo
17. The Big O
18. Sym-Bionic Titan
19. InuYasha
20. Attack on Titan
21. Eureka Seven
22. Hellsing Ultimate
23. Dragonball Z Kai
24. Kill la Kill
25. Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
26. Naruto
27. Star Wars: The Clone Wars
28. Michiko & Hatchin
29. Deadman Wonderland
30. Casshern Sins
31. Bleach
32. IGPX
33. Parasyte -the maxim-
34. Blue Exorcist
35. ThunderCats (2011)
InuYasha: The Final Act
Sword Art Online
Samurai 7
Naruto Shippuden
Dimension W
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096
Beware the Batman
Tokyo Ghoul
Akame ga Kill!
Tenchi Muyo! GXP

I still want to throw hands at the people that ranked Eureka 7 that low, but I'll just sit here in my Horizon Zero Dawn shirt and just throw a side eye at y'all minus B-Dubs.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
My default assumption is that any video game anime adaptation is going to be bad.
Still better than Uwe Boll making a video game adaptation.

......how in the world did he make THREE Bloodrayne films?

Also Steins;Gate was a great adaptation. I really look forward to seeing how Steins;Gate 0 turns out.

Still better than Uwe Boll making a video game adaptation.

......how in the world did he make THREE Bloodrayne films?

Also Steins;Gate was a great adaptation. I really look forward to seeing how Steins;Gate 0 turns out.
How the fuck did Michelle Rodriguez, Michael Madsen and Ben Kingsley end up in it?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Reposting for a new day!

[Episode 66]

Grexeno, Seda, ckohler, and B-Dubs just spent SIX HOURS ranking the around 45 shows that have aired since the rebirth of Toonami in the order they aired. However, we did not include DB Super, Lupin the 3rd or Stardust Crusaders due to their "newness" and a couple of shows (Jojo and Jack) were split due to their seasons being radically different.

This list reflects are our four combined opinions. We made cases for and against each show and all four of us had to make compromises to reach a consensus. You can listen to our debate by downloading the following two MP3 files. These will also be available in the podcast feed.

The Final List

Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Space Dandy
One Punch Man
Gurren Lagann
One Piece
Hunter x Hunter
Black Lagoon
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Battle Tendency
11. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
12. Samurai Jack
13. Samurai Jack Season 5
14. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood
15. Soul Eater
16. Samurai Champloo
17. The Big O
18. Sym-Bionic Titan
19. InuYasha
20. Attack on Titan
21. Eureka Seven
22. Hellsing Ultimate
23. Dragonball Z Kai
24. Kill la Kill
25. Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
26. Naruto
27. Star Wars: The Clone Wars
28. Michiko & Hatchin
29. Deadman Wonderland
30. Casshern Sins
31. Bleach
32. IGPX
33. Parasyte -the maxim-
34. Blue Exorcist
35. ThunderCats (2011)
InuYasha: The Final Act
Sword Art Online
Samurai 7
Naruto Shippuden
Dimension W
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096
Beware the Batman
Tokyo Ghoul
Akame ga Kill!
Tenchi Muyo! GXP

Why is Tokyo Ghoul on the list if Dragon Ball Super isn't for being too new?

Xe4

Banned
What's with everyone ranking the shows all the sudden? Now I got two long add podcasts to listen to D :
Seriously though, thanks for the entertainment. Good to do HW to.

Grexeno

I think the rationalization was we've seen 70% of Tokyo Ghoul and we kinda know what to expect going forward where Dragon Ball Super we've only seen movie recaps.
This, and also if they hadn't decided to get both seasons we may have ended up ranking just Season 1 in an alternate universe.

i dunno about One Piece being so far up there, especially above Hunter x Hunter, with its massive pacing issues for hundreds of episodes
We didn't consider anything past Thriller Bark.

bigkrev

My default assumption is that any video game anime adaptation is going to be bad.

I liked the 1 episode of P4 Golden I watched- it seemed like a NG+ playthru of the game, where the MC had all of his stats maxed out so he could be a jerk to everyone, and had powerful summons so he could walk through the game. No idea if the actual show ended up being like that, but the one episode was cool?

Also, if we throwing out all videogame anime adaptations, that means throwing away the greatest anime OP ever, the english opeining of Street Fighter 2 V(ictory) (not to mention, the show itself is pretty rad even if a little werid)

Reposting for a new day!

[Episode 66]

The Final List

Top 2 are the only correct answers (I'd flip them but its a debate). I'm impressed SAO made it out of the bottom 5

ckohler

I'm impressed SAO made it out of the bottom 5
For me there are several factors that raise SAO from being lower: The animation and music are quite good and Yukki and her arc (aside from Super AIDS) elevated the show some towards the end. Also, it's probably the most entertaining hate-watch we've had. Shows below SAO on our list are mostly a slog to even get through.

BBboy20

Manga's Arrangements
  • Starts out with the flashback>first jail scene>ocean.
  • First half of plot exposition dump occurred in the jail.
  • Waiter scene is new.

Raxus

For me there are several factors that raise SAO from being lower: The animation and music are quite good and Yukki and her arc (aside from Super AIDS) elevated the show some towards the end. Also, it's probably the most entertaining hate-watch we've had. Shows below SAO on our list are mostly a slog to even get through.

Yeah while SAO may be the worst show we ever watched it takes up a The Room quality of how enjoyable of a hatewatch it turned out to be.

Unicorn on the other hand has stuff going for it but was boooooooring for a show about giant robots. Tokyo Ghoul could reach SAO levels of badness if the recent episodes are any indication.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
SAO & Akame ga Kill were good examples of "these shows are bad, but they're ENJOYABLE at how bad they are", I laughed so many times at AgK's attempt to be cool or the fights with Justice Girl.

Meanwhile, TG Root A & Unicorn are the dull kind of bad, which is worse because you're experiencing NO EMOTIONS while watching it. I just couldn't bring myself to comment on Unicorn anymore to the point I just said "screw it" & dropped it because I was so uninvested. Meanwhile, I wanted to see where SAO was going because I was interested in what direction the show was going to take next & if it got worse.

I think the rationalization was we've seen 70% of Tokyo Ghoul and we kinda know what to expect going forward where Dragon Ball Super we've only seen movie recaps.
I would also argue that most of the judgement has been from the first season. The first season at least had its moments of "lol look how edgy it's trying to be", but S2 is just booorrriinngggg.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
TG Season 2 is literally fanfiction commissioned by Pierrot. Maybe when the TG:re manga ends, an anime remake will be made to try again as an apology. It's possible as the manga is still a high seller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom