• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JulAug17| Most Definitely the Work of an Enemy Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

caliph95

Black Lagoon not doing well just told me that the Toonami audience doesn't know what the fuck they want.
Implying teenager have taste
They should leave it to us grown men and women who argue about cartoons on the internet to decide about stuff totally relevant to the target demographic

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I don't think One Piece should be above HxH either.
HxH is much more enjoyable overall, where as OP, despite having great characters & fights, just had a good amount of pacing issues at times.

Though I blame that more on how Toei adapted it more so than the actual content.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Black Lagoon is still one of my favorite "old" shows that I discovered thanks to Toonami along side HxH. Not counting dub premieres since that'd be cheating a bit. It's a shame it never got the rerun slot, it's been long enough where I'd love to give it another watch with you guys.

Moaradin

HxH is much more enjoyable overall, where as OP, despite having great characters & fights, just had a good amount of pacing issues at times.

Though I blame that more on how Toei adapted it more so than the actual content.

I think it speaks more to HxH that it's that high up already when we're not even halfway through the series or have had its best arc yet

We didn't consider anything past Thriller Bark.

ah, alright, that makes sense

Definitely. Bleach and Shippuden suffer from very similar problems, but I'd say the highs of Shippuden are far better than the highs of Bleach.

on the other hand, I think the filler in Shippuden is way worse than the majority of Bleach and I think the Hidan and Kakuzu arc is the only canon arc to actually be good and/or be adapted particularly well

caliph95

Jormungand has that one episode about the guy who likes to blow stuff up

it was fun
Yeah but I kinda expected more plus didn't care for the second season when it start taking itself little serious with an arc and remove focus from the entertaining crew and an ending I didn't care for

caliph95

The ending is trash
It ruined the second season when you realize how dumb it is
I realize koko
was supposed to be a but idealistic and probably naive which makes no sense for her but the plan was dumb as shit and i live how her brother pretty much explained in like 3 minutes how dumb it was

Xe4

Banned
Agreed that I'd like to see Jormugand one day. I've never seen it and want to, plus I'd finally learn how to spell it without looking it up on google.

I don't have any illusions of it being Black Lagoon quality, but it'll at least be a fun romp.

caliph95

Agreed that I'd like to see Jormugand one day. I've never seen it and want to, plus I'd finally learn how to spell it without looking it up on google.

I don't have any illusions of it being Black Lagoon quality, but it'll at least be a fun romp.
It's at least a fun replacement for BL if we ignore like half of the second season

zulux21

her name is koko and she's loco I said OH NO

>.>

Man God

Non-Canon Member
As voted on by me.

1. Cowboy Bebop
  2. FLCL
  3. One Piece
  4. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
  5. Eureka Seven
  6. Black Lagoon
  7. Hunter X Hunter
  8. Space Dandy
  9. Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
  10. Inuyasha
  11. Dragon Ball Z Kai
  12. Naruto
  13. Jim Jam Season 1
  14. Jim Jam Season 2
  15. Kill la Kill
  16. Soul Eater
  17. Michiko & Hatchin
  18. Inuyasha The Final Act
  19. Big O II
  20. Casshern Sins
  21. Gurren Lagann
  22. Deadman Wonderland
  23. Samurai Jack Season 5
  24. Attack on Titan * Note that if I separated this out like other shows on the list that Season 2 would be about ten spots higher and season one would be near the bottom.
  25. Hellsing Ultimate
  26. One Punch Man
  27. Sword Art Online
  28. Parasyte:The Maxim
  29. Blue Exorcist
  30. Samurai Jack
  31. Samurai Champloo
  32. Star Wars: The Clone Wars
  33. Bleach
  34. Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
  35. Sym-Bionic Titan
  36. Samurai 7
  37. Naruto Shippuden
  38. IGPX
  39. Gundam Unicron
  40. Dimension W
  41. Akame Ga Kill!
  42. Beware the Batman
  43. Tokyo Ghoul
  44. Tenchi Muyo GXP
  45. Thundercats

Sword Art Online is also technically two different series but 45 is a round number. Jim Jams can go either way. Unfortunately for Attack on Titan Season 2 it isn't a separate series. Thirty-Seven is the number at which things start to slide into the I never want to ever watch this again territory but the only show I refuse to watch again is Thundercats.

caliph95

>.>
giphy_s.gif

giphy.gif

200.webp

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

zulux21

I'll always say that one piece is the best shonen manga

I'd likely give it best really really long running series.

but I think FMA beats it pretty soundly for me for shonen in general.

but what do I know. I would rank space dandy below both sword art online and akame ga kill lol.

heck tokyo ghoul anime might be above space dandy for me as I hated space dandy and it's one of the biggest disappointments for me ever.

so much talent involved, so very little good about it :(

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I really don't like the manga/Brotherhood ending. At all. Things just wrap up too neatly. Otherwise it is a really solid series front to back.

Moaradin

FMA '03 ending is conceptually more interesting, but poorly executed. Brotherhood's ending is executed well, but kinda safe and a little too contrived.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Might as well announce it now.

After Trigun (Should be doing two of them tomorrow night, releasing one on Monday and one on Tuesday) I'm going to quickly finish Naruto.

After Naruto I am going to watch every filler episode of Bleach, covering each story rather than each episodes. This means the wacky one offs will get a ton of coverage and the big ass boring arcs will just get ridiculous gifs and an overview. I expect to do those five or ten episodes at a time.

After that...It's time to do the superior Full Metal Alchemist. These Blu Rays are going to gif themselves.

Moaradin

I don't get the 2003 FMA love fam. More power to you guys, I guess.

Ignoring the bones ending, it had better direction, music, and atmosphere. Pacing was also better for the early stuff.

When I think about FMA, THIS is the first thing to come to mind. Brotherhood doesn't have any track anywhere near as memorable.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's been such a long time since I've seen the original, I don't think I could give an opinion on it.

The most I can remember was "....wait, THAT'S how it ends?!" but I can't remember if I was disappointed or just confused.

Ignoring the bones ending, it had better direction, music, and atmosphere. Pacing was also better for the early stuff.

I thought the Music and Direction were better in the Bones adaptation. Only thing I give the 2003 series is better pacing early on.

That and I absolute hate the twist in the 2003 series concerning the Homonculi.

Both are Bones adaptions lol

Different art direction lol

Fine though, yeah i much prefer the way the plot utlimately plays out in Brotherhood. A lot of the reveals in the 2003 series with the Homonculi and Scar just didn't do it for me. And Wrath in particular I just straight up hated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom