• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JulAug17| Most Definitely the Work of an Enemy Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moaradin

Overall I slightly prefer Brotherhood as well, but the 03 series is still great despite the problems. It has things I love about it and I can completely understand why someone would prefer the original series.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The truly ironic thing (and it's only a thing because Funimation retitled the second anime Brotherhood) is that the first show goes way more in depth on the brother's relationship. To be sure, the primary motivation in both is the restoration of Al's body but it kinda gets lost along the way as the bigger conspiracy unravels in the manga/Brotherhood while it is the primary plot in '03. Also the brothers frankly spend more time together in that version, only getting separated briefly a couple of times.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I feel like the ending is the main issue with '03, but for the time, it was still a fantastic adaptation. If anything, the fact Brotherhood tries to go through the stuff that the original adaptation a little quicker is probably my only issue, like Bones knew most people watching this already saw '03, so they figured "might as well up the pacing so we can get to the new stuff quicker."

I'd totally be up for either version getting the rerun slot. Heck, I know it won't happen, but imagine if they did both versions back to back.

Seda

My biggest issue with Brotherhood are the zombies. Why does Father need/want zombies? All he cares about is getting the knowledge from his super portal of truth.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My biggest issue with Brotherhood are the zombies. Why does Father need/want zombies? All he cares about is getting the knowledge from his super portal of truth.

Yep, I was so confused when I first read that.

Father's plan in general isn't as good as Dante's. Dante (and Slightly more evil 2003 Hoenheim) already did the whole turn a big geographic location into an array thing, and they succeeded! They also got a 2 for 1 and killed off Christianity at the same time!

Xe4

Banned
Ignoring the bones ending, it had better direction, music, and atmosphere. Pacing was also better for the early stuff.

When I think about FMA, THIS is the first thing to come to mind. Brotherhood doesn't have any track anywhere near as memorable.
Yup. The tone in FMA' '03 felt exactly right whereas Brotherhood would just completely break tension at times to go off and do some chibi funny moments. Brotherhood's fights also felt less interesting to me, even when you compare anime only fights to later Brotherhood fights. '03 had it as well, but not to the same extent. That and all the way up to and including (spoilers)
Hughes death
is the best part of the story and '03 took it much slower and made the impact of the stuff up to that point far more potent.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I thought the zombies were part of the '03 series & something with a dude resurrecting the dead with Lust's help?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I thought the zombies were part of the '03 series & something with a dude resurrecting the dead with Lust's help?

That was more of a Nina like situation.

In Brotherhood this is the immortal (Hulk Hogan) army they keep blabbing on about. I guess the only reason Father makes it is to ironically kill those in the central government by giving them what they wanted? He sure as shit doesn't need them.

Xe4

Banned
They're both really good, I should point out. People should absolutely watch both (with '03 FMA first for obvious reasons) I just prefer one slightly more over the other.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That was more of a Nina like situation.

In Brotherhood this is the immortal (Hulk Hogan) army they keep blabbing on about. I guess the only reason Father makes it is to ironically kill those in the central government by giving them what they wanted? He sure as shit doesn't need them.

He does it to keep them occupied. You think they go with him if he doesn't promise them an immortal army and tells them he wants to turn them all into a stone?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
He does it to keep them occupied. You think they go with him if he doesn't promise them an immortal army and tells them he wants to turn them all into a stone?

Right. Doesn't mean he has to actually deliver the army. Which he does. Father is a leader we can trust. He delivers on his campaign promises. Father 2020.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Right. Doesn't mean he has to actually deliver the army. Which he does. Father is a leader we can trust. He delivers on his campaign promises. Father 2020.

It's not like it cost him anything. Dude sits on his ass all day waiting for his kid to dig a hole.

It's been forever since I've seen the 2003 anime.

Brotherhood is great, but I think it goes a bit out-there in the climax and the ending felt a little safe for an FMA ending.

zulux21

As someone who's only read the FMA manga and never watched either anime...

Y'all baffle me.

you should watch the 2003 anime if you enjoyed fma. it is a nice alt universe take on the series.

you would also get to laugh at the first episode where they screw up the missing arm and leg repeatedly.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Brotherhood had a much better villain in Father than the original FMA had in... whatever her name was.

I think FMA 2003 handled the Homunculi better personally, same with that fucked up Nina scene since Brotherhood rushed that shit, better handling of Shou Tucker cause Huber played it great and that's all I can think of. I have to applaud Brotherhood for adding more badass females though.

cntr

Banned
To be honest, from the comments you guys are making, Brotherhood sounds more and more like it was a bad adaptation. Not a single one of these things were an issue in the manga.

Which is par for the course for anime adaptations, but still.

To be honest, from the comments you guys are making, Brotherhood sounds more and more like it was a bad adaptation. Not a single one of these things were an issue in the manga.

Which is par for the course for anime adaptations, but still.
There's a lot of stuff that it glossed over in the beginning because it operated under the assumption that you watched the first series. It's kind of like if HxH 2011 skipped over the Hunter Exam because it went like "You watched this 12 years ago right?" Brotherhood isn't bad at all, it's just a bit flawed. Still very good.

cntr

Banned
Gintama's the only anime I've seen which is unquestionably better than the manga, tbh. And only a handful of anime reach the same level as their source material, the vast majority are bad in some major way.

Post-Yorknew HxH 2011 is definitely better than the manga, but they did mess things up pre-Yorknew, and cutting out
Kite
from the beginning is really iffy.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Gintama's the only anime I've seen which is unquestionably better than the manga, tbh.

HxH 2011 comes close, but they did kind of mess things up pre-Yorknew by censoring the early violence, and cutting out
Kite
from the beginning is pretty iffy.

Mob Psycho 100 is better than the webcomic in my opinion.

cntr

Banned
Mob Psycho 100 is better than the webcomic in my opinion.
Oh yeah, almost forgot. Definitely, from what I've heard of it.

One Punch Man is better than the ONE source, too. I like it a lot because it's one of the few adaptations that's actually an adaptation. Like, they deliberately cut, edit, and move around things to make them work or be improved in animation, like Saitama not having dialogue in the moon scene where the manga did, because that works better in animation. That's what an adaptation is.

That's opposed to most anime, which just bluntly take the manga scene and throw it into the anime without thought, like Brotherhood did with FMA's comedy. Shit like that barely qualifies as adaption.

What I'm saying is that anime is garbage, and manga is the way to go.

What I'm saying is that anime is garbage, and manga is the way to go.
Both are pretty enjoyable as long as they don't straight up butcher the source material. I couldn't live without the Black Lagoon anime or HxH anime's for example. Meanwhile you have shit like the most recent Berserk "anime" and that's like the Eclipse in anime form.

cntr

Banned
Both are pretty enjoyable as long as they don't straight up butcher the source material. I couldn't live without the Black Lagoon anime or HxH anime's for example. Meanwhile you have shit like the most recent Berserk "anime" and that's like the Eclipse in anime form.
Eh, the way I see it, why waste effort watching an inferior adaptation when I can either read the original or watch an actually well made original show? Black Lagoon or HxH are exceptions in an ocean of mediocrity.

And it's so annoying if you see people say dumb things about a series you like simply because the anime screwed it up, and then have people go "Oh, the anime's so much better!", like, ugh.

And while I'm on this angry rant, "I can't read manga, they don't have music or color." is the dumbest excuse for not reading shit. It's like saying that you don't read books because words aren't enough for you.

Eh, the way I see it, why waste effort watching an inferior adaptation when I can either read the original or watch an actually well made original show? Black Lagoon or HxH are exceptions in an ocean of mediocrity.

And it's so annoying if you see people say dumb things about a series you like simply because the anime screwed it up, and then have people go "Oh, the anime's so much better!", like, ugh.

And while I'm on this angry rant, "I can't read manga, they don't have music or color." is the dumbest excuse for not reading shit. It's like saying that you don't read books because words aren't enough for you.
I will admit to getting more into manga over the years. In my youth I was anime only. Now at this point it depends on the overall story being told and the art style.

Raxus

I will admit to getting more into manga over the years. In my youth I was anime only. Now at this point it depends on the overall story being told and the art style.

I am similar however I don't mind watching adaptations (see BBB) since they can sometimes match or improve on the material in some cases. For inferior to manga anime like One Piece I still watch the anime on occasion to see some big moments animated and to help better interpret some VERY busy panels. I think taking anime as a compliment to the manga is my favorite way of consuming the mediums. It is very rare for the anime to actively spit on the manga (exceptions being TG and Berserk 2016) since most tend to cover the events 1:1 and often adaptations tend to mix things up for the better (Mob Psycho 100 and JoJo).

I am similar however I don't mind watching adaptations (see BBB) since they can sometimes match or improve on the material in some cases. For inferior to manga anime like One Piece I still watch the anime on occasion to see some big moments animated and to help better interpret some VERY busy panels. I think taking anime as a compliment to the manga is my favorite way of consuming the mediums. It is very rare for the anime to actively spit on the manga (exceptions being TG and Berserk 2016) since most tend to cover the events 1:1 and often adaptations tend to mix things up for the better (Mob Psycho 100 and JoJo).
Jojo for the most part is a pretty good adaptation...though yes I do expect a CNTR paragraph countering this. Jojo Parts 1 and 2 are at their best in anime form, though I really would have enjoyed seeing the Danny on fire panel animated.

cntr

Banned
The thing is that while they sometimes improve on the original material, way more often they make it worse, especially with stuff like characterization and tone. It's really annoying, especially when they do it to a character-based series.

I have heard that Japan works on the assumption that everybody has read a manga before watching an adaptation, which would explain a lot, but unfortunately people here don't do that. It sucks, because no matter how much you tell people that the adaptation fucked it up, they often won't accept it.

Jojo for the most part is a pretty good adaptation...though yes I do expect a CNTR paragraph countering this. Jojo Parts 1 and 2 are at their best in anime form, though I really would have enjoyed seeing the Danny on fire panel animated.
Nah, Jojo's relatively good. It's mostly that Part 3's pacing got really bad, and Part 4 had a lot of really iffy direction and cuts after the production issues...which are admittedly both pretty major issues.

I think I'm gonna drop Horizon: Zero Dawn at this point honestly (I rented it). I'm just not getting from this game what everyone else seems to be getting; the world traversal just gets incredibly tedious when basically everything is hostile with a pretty generous range of vision. The combat against the machines can be fun but when it's in swarms and so constant I end up really tired of it. It doesn't help that I'm not into the core loop of resource gathering and whatnot either, and that I don't find the world particularly compelling; it looks really great, but often I feel like I'm running between arrows rather than getting a real sense of place within it.

David Pro's problem is that they are way too faithful to the Jojo manga sometimes. I get that Jojo has a multitude of iconic panels and poses they want to replicate but oftentimes it screws with the spacing of the characters because Jojo panels are deliberately decompressed to build tension, and in motion it can come off like the characters are too slow to react or taking too long to get somewhere.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, the Jojo anime is definitely not on the list of series that are on par with the manga.

They do manage to capture the overall characterization and tone of each part, though, which is why I consider them better than most adaptations.

I think I'm gonna drop Horizon: Zero Dawn at this point honestly (I rented it). I'm just not getting from this game what everyone else seems to be getting; the world traversal just gets incredibly tedious when basically
everything is hostile with a pretty generous range of vision.
The combat against the machines can be fun but when it's in swarms and so constant I end up really tired of it. It doesn't help that I'm not into the core loop of resource gathering and whatnot either, and that I don't find the world particularly compelling; it looks really great, but often I feel like I'm running between arrows rather than getting a real sense of place within it.
This is why you buy the stealth uniform and equip stealth mods. I pretty much played the game equal parts stealth game and action game. There's actually a lot of tense fun to be had if you're knowingly sneaking through Stalker territory. If you aren't enjoying then fine, I guess it's a game that's just not particularly for everybody.
David Pro's problem is that they are way too faithful to the Jojo manga sometimes. I get that Jojo has a multitude of iconic panels and poses they want to replicate but oftentimes it screws with the spacing of the characters because Jojo panels are deliberately decompressed to build tension, and in motion it can come off like the characters are too slow to react or taking too long to get somewhere.
I am a bit annoyed that people didn't go from swole dudes to tiny in the Part 4 anime.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
There's a lot of stuff that it glossed over in the beginning because it operated under the assumption that you watched the first series. It's kind of like if HxH 2011 skipped over the Hunter Exam because it went like "You watched this 12 years ago right?" Brotherhood isn't bad at all, it's just a bit flawed. Still very good.

Brotherhood's expediting of early events isn't even remotely close to being as bad as that would be. Brotherhood's first 14 episodes are more in the vein of HXH 2011's first 8 or so episodes. Streamlined retellings of early events that leave out some details in favor of moving things along to get into the action more quickly.

In fact, I would argue that HXH 2011's early episodes actually leave out a much more major plot point than anything that Brotherhood chooses to skip over.

Brotherhood's expediting of early events isn't even remotely close to being as bad as that would be. Brotherhood's first 14 episodes are more in the vein of HXH 2011's first 8 or so episodes. Streamlined retellings of early events that leave out some details in favor of moving things along to get into the action more quickly.

In fact, I would argue that HXH 2011's early episodes actually leave out a much more major plot point than anything that Brotherhood chooses to skip over.
Yeah. That one dude being nixed is a bit weird, it's only like 5 minutes less of Gon going fishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom