• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JulAug17| Most Definitely the Work of an Enemy Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

is gundam seed the bad one

<insert joke about how all gundam is bad>

#TRIGGERED

g-gundam-burning-finger-o.gif

Regiruler

Time to turbo through 4-5 episodes of shippuden because I'm really, really fucking behind.

I'm so behind I have to watch 2-3 eps subbed on crunchyroll.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I wonder if Sunrise would even release it here, let alone release it with the original dub. Really wish more '90s anime would get the HD treatment, super glad Outlaw Star got it & the fact we'll get to see it on Toonami.

Someone needs to go find the original masters of Fist of the North Star, because that first movie looks rather good for the most part, until the super violence kicks in & it shifts from DVD quality to bootleg VHS looking.

cntr

Banned
I wonder if Sunrise would even release it here, let alone release it with the original dub. Really wish more '90s anime would get the HD treatment, super glad Outlaw Star got it & the fact we'll get to see it on Toonami.
Sunrise is generally pretty good with dubs. So maybe.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I would totally be up for an hour of reruns if it meant one show was an older show followed by something that aired more recently, i.e. within the post-revival Toonami.

I just wonder what older shows aside from Cowboy Bebop got the HD treatment that they could air. Did Trigun ever get upscaled? That would make for a great groupwatch.

Rewatched Code Gass recently. Honestly, I find R2 much more entertaining than the first season, and even the Code Trainwreck parts are legitimately interesting when you already know what's going on.

Grexeno

I would totally be up for an hour of reruns if it meant one show was an older show followed by something that aired more recently, i.e. within the post-revival Toonami.

I just wonder what older shows aside from Cowboy Bebop got the HD treatment that they could air. Did Trigun ever get upscaled? That would make for a great groupwatch.
Vision of Escaflowne got a remaster from Funimation and Toonami wanted to get it back in the day.

Gundam Wing is getting a remaster.

cntr

Banned
The leaf village is crazy
The Leaf Village had the potential to become a really fun setting.

Would an airing of G Gundam HD happen with the og dub?
There's no edited or added lines so yeah, they totally could just reuse the old dub.

Gundam Wing has a remaster. It was one of Sunrise's early remasters, though, so it's not as good as their recent ones.

Apparently, the reason they took so long with G Gundam's remaster was because they wanted to make it really good. Which they did!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Looking at older Toonami shows, there's really not much I see as "omg they really should bring this back" or "omg I'd love to rewatch this with a group."

Maybe Evangelion? But I feel like a good majority of us already seen it & it aired soooo often on Adult Swim Action.

The only other show I could see them doing is maybe Big O but we got that during the 3 hour rerun half of the block when Toonami came back.

Vision of Escaflowne got a remaster from Funimation and Toonami wanted to get it back in the day.

I was talking more of shows that were on Toonami pre-cancellation, but yes, that's obviously one that I can see hitting the block at around 2 a.m. since DeMarco really wanted it back in the day & the HD remaster + Funimation dub would make it a "new" show, especially since they could take a shot at Fox by being all "UNCUT ON TV FOR THE FIRST TIME"

I guess Wing could return since it'd fit DeMarco's "I always want Gundam to be on the block" goal.

Grexeno

I don't know that "I always want Gundam to be on the block" is still a thing since it's fairly obvious that viewers do not agree.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't know that "I always want Gundam to be on the block" is still a thing since it's fairly obvious that viewers do not agree.

Yea, I think he's better off expanding that to "I'd always like a giant robot show to be on the block" because there's been some really good ones made over the last decade or so.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yea, I think he's better off expanding that to "I'd always like a giant robot show to be on the block" because there's been some really good ones made over the last decade or so.
I would greatly prefer this just to have more variety & not be stuck with different versions of space politics.

cntr

Banned
I think G Gundam and Wing about equally likely to come on the block. G Gundam has an advantage of being different and thus avoiding potential Gundam fatigue, Wing has the advantage of getting a remaster dub disc release. (Though, on the other hand, Toonami could just bill themselves as the sole place to get the G Gundam HD dub premier, like with Super, Jojo, and HxH.)

The whole thing about Wing being bigger than G back in the day isn't very important, because people now hold both of them in high nostalgic regard. I don't think Toonami would distinguish them like that.

Yes, please.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think G Gundam and Wing about equally likely to come on the block. G Gundam has an advantage of being different and thus avoiding potential Gundam fatigue, Wing has the advantage of getting a remaster dub disc release. (Though, on the other hand, Toonami could just bill themselves as the sole place to get the G Gundam HD dub premier, like with Super, Jojo, and HxH.)

The whole thing about Wing being bigger than G back in the day isn't very important, because people now hold both of them in high nostalgic regard. I don't think Toonami would distinguish them like that.

I do think G would hold up better given it's a totally different kind of Gundam story. Nostalgia will only get Wing so far.

we already had ttgl so it's only going to be downhill

There's still Full Metal Panic.

cntr

Banned
Looking at older Toonami shows, there's really not much I see as "omg they really should bring this back" or "omg I'd love to rewatch this with a group."
G Gundam alone is like 50 episodes long, so it'd be like...2 or 3 years? by the time they're done with all the major old shows.

we already had ttgl so it's only going to be downhill
look at this guy

boo this guy

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
G Gundam alone is like 50 episodes long, so it'd be like...2 or 3 years? by the time they're done with all the major old shows.

50 episodes is a little more than a year. Given there's a second rerun slot for seemingly older shows that either never got a proper run or are getting an HD rerun it's not a huge issue.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Gimme G Gundam over any of the other Gundams. G Gundam at least looks like fun & getting right to the robot fighting with a super simple premise of "PEOPLE USE GIANT ROBOTS TO DECIDE WHICH COUNTRY WILL BE PRESIDENT OF THE WORLD, AWESOME BATTLES ENSUE" with its hilarious over-the-top dub.

Crunchyroll's ad targeting algorithm is borked. It thinks I'm a spanish speaking landscaper.
I wanted to rewatch some Jojo Part 4, but it decided to play only ads from one company, & played the exact same ad twice in the same ad break, so I had to see it 3 times during one episode. Not even Toonami gets that bad with its anti-smoking, pizza eating, insurance saving ads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom