• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JulAug17| Most Definitely the Work of an Enemy Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
z1v6aMj.gif

Xe4

Banned
So in a month or so, my theater is actually going to show Your Name because it's part of some "family film" festival, along side films like...

...the Nut Job 2,...

......& the emoji movie.........

...BUT I CAN FINALLY SEE YOUR NAME IN A THEATER!

Funimation's theatrical distribution of Your Name was an embarrassment. It felt like they were just checking off boxes to fulfill their contract so they could release it on Blu-Ray.

I'm just super salty because the nearest theater to me playing it was 1.5 hours away, and the first day I was free enough was 1 day after it finished airing.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, closest to me was about an hour away, & the problem was, my best friend who also wants to see it doesn't have the same days off as me, so it would've been difficult to spend 2 hours on the road & another 2-3 hours in another town when one of us would've had to work that same night. Not to mention we figured it wouldn't be a good idea to drive home after seeing a film we knew would make us experience the feels.

The only reason I knew was because of a pamphlet that had characters from all the films they would show & noticed the main guy tucked away in the top right corner, being a HUGE contrast to the CGI characters.

But it baffles me that they decided this film, which became the highest grossing animated film in Japan past hallmark titles like Spirited Away & having an emotional story with numerous nominations & awards plus a whopping 98% Rotten Tomatoes rating, should be bundled with stuff like Nut Job 2 & THE DAMN EMOJI MOVIE.

Whatever, hopefully we'll get lucky & not have many kids when I go see it with my friend.

BBboy20

But it baffles me that they decided this film, which became the highest grossing animated film in Japan past hallmark titles like Spirited Away & having an emotional story with numerous nominations & awards plus a whopping 98% Rotten Tomatoes rating, should be bundled with stuff like Nut Job 2 & THE DAMN EMOJI MOVIE.

Whatever, hopefully we'll get lucky & not have many kids when I go see it with my friend.
America has very low perceptions of animation.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
America has very low perceptions of animation.
*sees Your Name wasn't even nominated for Best Animated Feature at Oscars*

........looks like it.

But whatever, I need to stop being mad at how it came to my theater & just be happy that my friend & I can actually see it on the big screen.

....should I prepare sunglasses for us to wear when leaving the theater to cover our tear-filled eyes?

The HD remaster changes enough stuff that the shows had to be redubbed.

Rights issues is probably why each show has a couple of endings/openings switched out.

SEED's remaster is more like a special edition since it changes a bunch of stuff, so they had to redub it.

Build Fighters is in the weird position of being both a kids show and a show for Gundam fans, a demographic that really only exists in Japan.

They probably figure that anybody interested would just watch it subbed.

That makes sense. I remember seeing one episode and being kinda sad they messed up the ED transition.

Also, HOT TAKE:

Gundam Seed is better than IBO and Unicorn (though if season 2 of IBO is good maybe not but so far it is).

cntr

Banned
I like IBO S1 more because I really dislike pretentious shows and Yamato is very much that while Mikazuki is very much not that, but objectively, yeah, probably.

it's not a great contest either way though

(also, mecha fighting with giant wrenches is way cooler than beam spam.)

Raxus

Big O is still my favorite Giant Mecha show. Like OG Gundam, G Gundam, Valvrave (so bad its good),TTGL and a few others. REALLY want to see Escaflowne.

cntr

Banned
I'll say it again, they need to get more super robot shows, like Getter Robo. Real robot shows suck!

...but yeah, Escaflowne would be great.

Regiruler

Funimation's theatrical distribution of Your Name was an embarrassment. It felt like they were just checking off boxes to fulfill their contract so they could release it on Blu-Ray.

I'm just super salty because the nearest theater to me playing it was 1.5 hours away, and the first day I was free enough was 1 day after it finished airing.

I drove about half an hour to see it dubbed. It was pretty good.

Morlas

Some of the skits in that game just refuse to quit. I found it charming throughout but I can see some people getting sick of it.
I love it too, it's great to have a bunch of characters just goof off and show off their personalities without brooding constantly in a jrpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The game isn't super punny, not like P4 or the king of bad puns, Fantasy Life. Now that is another charming game that just lets its characters natter on forever.

Seda

Bravely Seconds plot wasn't very good but I thought the cast was great. Tiz works a lot better as a straight man supporting character than the lead.

Morlas

Bravely Seconds plot wasn't very good but I thought the cast was great. Tiz works a lot better as a straight man supporting character than the lead.

yeah the bravely games are way better when focusing on the characters, for example the backstory of Eternia in the first game is much better than the main plot.

Tenumi

Banned
The game isn't super punny, not like P4 or the king of bad puns, Fantasy Life. Now that is another charming game that just lets its characters natter on forever.

I was just looking at screenshots I took of Fantasy Life and was thinking I should play through that again. That was an underrated 3DS title, most definitely.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've played over 500 hours of Fat Nasty Life. I was only at 300 when a friend got into it about a year ago and dragged me back in.

cntr

Banned
Wing and G are the only Gundams with any real Toonami nostalgia behind them. If we're getting new Gundam, it'll either be one of those two, or the premier of a new show.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Gundam Wing won't do well if they try to air it today. Hope they don't fall into that trap.

It will do better than Outlaw Star will. Gundam Wing has even more nostalgia behind it and it airing will pretty much complete the set of reairing the best of original TOONAMI.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
G Gundam didn't do that great originally. Better than MSG, SEED and the Adult Swim shows but much worse than Wing. Wing had great ratings for both the cut and uncut airings and did well when they reaired it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom