• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JulAug17| Most Definitely the Work of an Enemy Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

cntr

Banned
524b76a4cca548bfbd0ae2ks1n.gif
Some of the powers are just nonsense stuff. I believe someone had a power to be totally impartial lol
There's a series I've been meaning to read, The Law of Ueki, where the main character has the power to transform garbage into trees.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Its a horror manga that I had started reading and stopped reading. Well I started it up again and I forgot just how fucked up the creatures were. Its basically a living trash eating machine that people eat... well unless they eat you.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You know what sucks? Having a manga that you're into that ends without a real ending
damn you Mx0
I swear, that mangaka always seems to hit a turning point where the series feels like it's going to get more interesting via new plot point....only for it to end because of low readership.

caliph95

I remember seeing threads in OT about how stuff like the Cell Arc was "the best shonen arc ever" or how Gohan shootin' another beam at Cell was "one of the best shonen moments in manga".

........I don't know how I managed to resist posting how I felt those statements were on the complete opposite end of how I felt, but yeah.

Man, I really wish the anime got another season, especially since the 2nd season ended RIGHT AS THEY TEASED THE BEST CHARACTER & the start of when the series got really good.
As someone who spent too much time on dbgaf yeah I agree but it helps I take it less seriously and just go along with and stop caring about pls

Papenbrook is Caesar in the Jojo dub.
I have never seen part 2 dubbed. I have only really seen bits and pieces on youtube but never a full ep. I have probably seen whatever shows he's popped in...that I would watch subbed and never really watched Sword Art Online either.

cntr

Banned
The Part 1 and 2 dub is pretty great, though! Well, aside from Caesar and Stroheim.

Does need to be watched in full though, it doesn't work as well in clips.

The Part 1 and 2 dub is pretty great, though! Well, aside from Caesar and Stroheim.

Does need to be watched in full though, it doesn't work as well in clips.
I'll probably give the Part 3 dub a shot, but that pacing is going to be a problem. It pretty much needs to be marathoned.

Raxus

I watched Part 3 week to week (with the 3 month break between) and it is still a pretty easy sit.

David pro gets much better at pacing as the series goes on and it carries over to part 4.

I watched Part 3 week to week (with the 3 month break between) and it is still a pretty easy sit.

David pro gets much better at pacing as the series goes on and it carries over to part 4.
I lack patience so it might have just been me that was annoyed by it.

Crocodile

People have always taken Dragonball way too seriously.

That's bound to happen when you are the most popular anime in the world :p

i'm as big a fan of dragon ball as anyone, but i learned a long time ago one important fact....if you try to overanalyze power levels you're just gonna end up frustrated. That's why I pay more attention to characters and the fights themselves

hey now at least dragon ball powers don't need a 10 minute explanation

The issue is that Dragon Ball discussion gets mired in "power level" talk because of the lack of technique. More often than not, power levels are the only things that distinguish characters since every one has nearly the same arsenal of beams and other assorted attacks. If Dragon Ball was able to learn the lessons other shonen learned from it, the IP would have developed a battle system akin to Nen/Stands/etc. You'd still have fantasy battles but you wouldn't have such gnashing of teeth over something as poorly defined as power levels nor would have the struggle, and sometimes weird writing that results, of trying to keep your entire cast relevant.

The only thing more embarrassing than wearing a stupidly-moe anime shirt in public is to wear an Infowars shirt in public. I have seen at least two people do that.

At least it makes it easy to see which people not to associate with :)

Part 3's a pretty good group watch.

Also we've had worse. Far worse.
I'm just sitting here contemplating my existence as I dive further into season 2 of Tokyo Ghoul...ugghh. What's even the point of Juzo outside of being a psychopathic Ed from Cowboy Bebop?

cntr

Banned
The issue is that Dragon Ball discussion gets mired in "power level" talk because of the lack of technique. More often than not, power levels are the only things that distinguish characters since every one has nearly the same arsenal of beams and other assorted attacks. If Dragon Ball was able to learn the lessons other shonen learned from it, the IP would have developed a battle system akin to Nen/Stands/etc. You'd still have fantasy battles but you wouldn't have such gnashing of teeth over something as poorly defined as power levels nor would have the struggle, and sometimes weird writing that results, of trying to keep your entire cast relevant.

I should mention, Part 3 of Jojo ran at the same time as DBZ, and the final battle of Part 3 ran in Jump literally alongside the final battle with Cell.

It's worth thinking about that as you watch it.

I should mention, Part 3 of Jojo ran at the same time as DBZ, and the final battle of Part 3 ran in Jump literally alongside the final battle with Cell.

It's worth thinking about that as you watch it.
I do find it weird that toriyama didn't really take cues from both Togashi and Araki.

cntr

Banned
I do find it weird that toriyama didn't really take cues from both Togashi and Araki.
To be fair, Part 2 and 3 pretty much popularized the idea of shounen battles being based around strategy rather than power, and what ran right afterwards was...Buu, where Toriyama ran out of ideas.

Maybe if Toriyama hadn't burned out he would've went along with it and turned it into a strategy series like Togashi tried to do with YYH, but DBZ ended, and that never happened.

Morlas

it doesn't all need to be about that anyway i mean it's fine to have strategy and different powers, but sometimes i just wanna see some full on action

To be fair, Part 2 and 3 pretty much popularized the idea of shounen battles being based around strategy rather than power, and what ran right afterwards was...Buu, where Toriyama ran out of ideas.

Maybe if Toriyama hadn't burned out he would've went along with it and turned it into a strategy series like Togashi tried to do with YYH, but DBZ ended, and that never happened.
Only thing is I can't exactly see Goku selling strategic battles. Dude has the IQ of a watermelon. Vegeta and Piccolo yeah sure, but not Goku.

cntr

Banned
also I suspect Toriyama was planning to do something different with Android 19 and 20, but his editors kind of screwed that up.

Only thing is I can't exactly see Goku selling strategic battles. Dude has the IQ of a watermelon. Vegeta and Piccolo yeah sure, but not Goku.
Just make him one of those "a natural at fighting but kind of stupid" types like Luffy or Gon. I mean, he kind of already is.

...though you know, Gohan would work even better, assuming he became the MC in this alternate DBZ.

Just make him one of those "a natural at fighting but kind of stupid" types like Luffy or Gon. I mean, he kind of already is.

...though you know, Gohan would work even better, assuming he became the MC in this alternate DBZ.
Gon is the dumbest person in his own show but even he isn't Goku stupid. Gohan would work better. Then again I do have supers Goku and Team Four Star Goku stuck in my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom