• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun14| Lu Lu Lala Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
I knew this day would come. It's finally happened. Bleach has taken over ToonamiGAF. At least it we didn't lose it to SAO. That would have been terrible.

Judgement Day, X-Play, Arena, The Screen Savers/Attack of the Show, Late Night With Martin Sargent, Icons, Cheat, Players, Portal, Electric Playground and G4TV.com were all great back in the day. My memories of summer a decade ago revolve around biking over to blockbuster or gamestop to buy GCN/PS2 games and sitting in my basement watching G4.

Even when they started trying to steal the SpikeTV audience in the late 00's with shows like Unbeatable Banzuke, Ninja Warrior, Cheaters, etc I still watched. Unfortunately DirecTV dropped the network a while ago so I have no idea how they're doing now or what content they air.

It was better as TechTV, but at least early G4 was good until they started to move away from all things tech and towards what it ending up being. Even Attack of the Show got progressively worse as it went on.

bigkrev

remember cinemasscre
and icons

and arena

and cheats

Judgement Day, X-Play, Arena, The Screen Savers/Attack of the Show, Late Night With Martin Sargent, Icons, Cheat, Players, Portal, Electric Playground and G4TV.com were all great back in the day. My memories of summer a decade ago revolve around biking over to blockbuster or gamestop to buy GCN/PS2 games and sitting in my basement watching G4.

Even when they started trying to steal the SpikeTV audience in the late 00's with shows like Unbeatable Banzuke, Ninja Warrior, Cheaters, etc I still watched. Unfortunately DirecTV dropped the network a while ago so I have no idea how they're doing now or what content they air.

And realize that they were able to do better numbers and advertising when they dropped all that content and just started showing Cops re-runs.

daveo42

Banned
So Bleach will forever hold the 12am spot? I'm okay with that. I'm hoping that new Dandys will mean higher numbers through the first half of the block.

I predicted that it would stay at 12:30 and I'm sure some people thought I was crazy. AoT is a better headliner and absolutely nothing could knock Bleach back except for maybe DBZ.

Depends on if they want to lead off the night with DBZ or not. What's there to replace AoT once it's over other than DBZ. By that time anyway, we'll be either near the end or into Bleach reruns.

MikeMyers

DBZ will either:

(1) Replace AoT when that ends
(2) Replace Bleach when that ends

Maybe AoT will get replace since it's also FUNimation, while Bleach will get pushed down to a later slot as a rerun.

I think DBZ takes Titan's lead off spot. Who knows what the Bleach replacement will be, probably something safe that will stabalize ratings. Or they could just re-run the series, I'd be okay with that.

789shadow

Banned
I think DBZ takes Titan's lead off spot. Who knows what the Bleach replacement will be, probably something safe that will stabalize ratings. Or they could just re-run the series, I'd be okay with that.
I'm pretty sure Bleach's replacement is DBZ. The two shows literally share the same purpose: a long shounen show that is the safest ratings bet on the block.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
If I'm right, AoT ends on Oct 18th, meaning DBZ Kai could start on Oct. 25th, which would fit the fact they said it'd be coming in the Fall.

& probably can't link due to nudity of both human & anime, found a video of people who re-created the opening scene from the original Ghost in the Shell movie. Really interesting, especially since they go behind the scenes of how they did it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bleach Not will be replacing Bleach. It's a prequel about training to become a soul reaper, staring three young girls. Renji and Rukia will be frequent guest stars.

MikeMyers

I'm looking at Viz Catalog right now and the only shows I can see coming to Toonami are Final Act, Sailor Moon Redub, and Rock Lee SD. The last one still isn't dubbed, though.

I'm pretty sure Bleach's replacement is DBZ. The two shows literally share the same purpose: a long shounen show that is the safest ratings bet on the block.

I think they'll put Kai at midnight to maximize viewership/lead-in potential; I could easily see a big drop off from DBZ to Titan if they went that route. I guess we'll find out for sure in the fall.

Edit: So I'm agreeing with you, this post was probably confusing before my edit haha

daveo42

Banned
Bleach Not will be replacing Bleach. It's a prequel about training to become a soul reaper, staring three young girls. Renji and Rukia will be frequent guest stars.

I think Bleach would have worked out much better as a slice of life anime anyway, so if it goes that route...I'd be fine with it.

bye Black Lagoon opening

VaderNOOOOOOOOOOO.jpg

yep, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Black Lagoon drop further back in the lineup if they aquire something new or want to shake up the lineup. It isn't doing good ratings-wise

I'm not sure they want to drop any 'premiere' shows down the block any further than 230am at this point just as a schedule rearrange. It's possible that anything new could potentially drop the show farther down the block, but I'm not even sure they are going to start airing anything new before the show ends at the end of August.

I thought it was a given by everyone that dandy would stay in it's spot because everyone knows massive and frequent schedule changes turn people off more than is worth trying to maximize a ratings slot for one show or the other . Also just common sense that they aren't switching aot or bleach .

I thought it was a given by everyone that dandy would stay in it's spot because everyone knows massive and frequent schedule changes turn people off more than is worth trying to maximize a ratings slot for one show or the other . Also just common sense that they aren't switching aot or bleach .

There was definitely speculation that Dandy might take back the lead-off spot or bump Bleach back, not a general consensus that it would stay at 12:30AM. I don't think you could classify sliding one show up an hour since it's a 'world premiere' and the highest rated property on the block not named Bleach, 'massive and frequent schedule changes.' I don't see how switching AoT goes against common sense either.

I think this is the clearest sign that DBZ slides in after Bleach ends. From ask.fm-land:

I'm pretty disappointed about DBZ. What happened to Toonami doesn't need DBZ in today age and moving forward, Jason? DBZ has been played to death on Toonami.

We need a broad appeal show that can hold ratings like Bleach does. If you think you have one that's bigger than DBZ, let me know. I'm all ears.

I'm not surprised Dandy's staying where it's at. We just had some stuff shuffle around, and they like to keep that to a minimum outside of shows ending. It also gives you a ratings draw after Bleach - I'm not counting recent performance because I expect reruns to have less interest.

This became a Bleach thread when I wasn't looking.

When did you think you weren't looking?

854445-aizen160.png

Gorillaz

Wouldn't be surprised if Black Lagoon actually falls back to 3. I don't think they will do it because it's not "tanking" but they might be mulling it over. They might be looking for a stronger anchor for the back half of Toonami

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Yea, Demarco in one of those Ask FM things mentioned DBZ is the replacement to Bleach and I am expecting the midnight slot.

I'm bummed they didn't just extend Toonami to a 11 AM but new Dandy is still a welcome. Not just because of new episodes, but also because the second part of the ost is supposed to drop sometime in July.

In terms of ratings? 0% chance

Why do you say that? The timeslot change? Or do you really believe more people will want to watch AoT than Space Dandy? I mean, Space Dandy has done pretty much better than any show on the block while AoT's ratings haven't been as good. I'm interested in hearing your reasoning.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yea, Demarco in one of those Ask FM things mentioned DBZ is the replacement to Bleach and I am expecting the midnight slot.
Hmm, so what would be AoT's replacement, then? I'd assume it'll be another Funimation licensed show.

Why do you say that? The timeslot change? Or do you really believe more people will want to watch AoT than Space Dandy? I mean, Space Dandy has done pretty much better than any show on the block while AoT's ratings haven't been as good. I'm interested in hearing your reasoning.

Only because of the time slot, not even Bleach can outdraw Titan but it topped Dandy multiple times airing 30 minutes later. AoT has had good ratings, we're a month in and it has already beaten the highest rated Dandy episode (War of the Undies and Vests) of season 1.

Edit: basically if the roles were reversed I'd still say the same thing, whichever show leads off the block is going to be the highest rated 95% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom