• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun14| Lu Lu Lala Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very excited for S2 of Dandy though. I think the series started off very rocky, the first 6 episodes vary in quality from 'good' to 'I'd rather be watching Shippuden' in my opinion. Once you looked past the pretty animation and excitement surrounding a Watanabe world premiere, the show had some glaring warts that I was very vocal about in this thread from the get-go. Ironically, The War of the Undies and Vests, Baby, the highest rated episode of S1, happens to be my most hated so hey, what do I know.

Once the writing caught up with the animation in terms of quality, Dandy really started to shine; everything from episode 7 on is freaking excellent. Plants are Living Things Too, Baby, this weeks re-run, is one of the best episodes of any show I've ever seen.

Space Dandy S2 promo looks good.
Although, I noticed there's no appearance from Adélie.

Good, I thought the penguin girl episode was terrible outside of seeing Dandy care about someone other than himself for the first time. That track that played when he went door to door searching for info on her parents was sublime though.

Man what a crazy world we live in, we have arguably 4 shows that are popular enough to lead off the block including one that is a world premier (Titan, Bleach, Dandy, Shippuden). Amazing to see how far Toonami has come in 2 years since its return.

Also I think Sailor Moon uncut has a very good chance of being Bleach's "replacement" as a viz show, it won't go at 12 (thats titans replacement dbz kai) but I could see it going in after Shippuden

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon would take 4 years if it was Toonami.

Although I think they'd probably start with R since that is when the group is all together.

BRING SAILOR MOON TO TOONAMI!

It'll most likely end up on the block at some point this year or early next. Depends on the budget/what kind of deal they can get and when there's an opening during the premiere portion.

There was definitely speculation that Dandy might take back the lead-off spot or bump Bleach back, not a general consensus that it would stay at 12:30AM. I don't think you could classify sliding one show up an hour since it's a 'world premiere' and the highest rated property on the block not named Bleach, 'massive and frequent schedule changes.' I don't see how switching AoT goes against common sense either.

I meant recent pretty significant changes with some shows leaving, i'm clearly not calling one instance that ,but ,you know, a combination of instances. also people do get used to a show at a certain time as well and it does take a bit to adjust, the people at toonami itself has said they are wary of such changes unless really necessary because of that. Thus it seemed pretty clear they changed Space dandy to that time with the intent to run it all the way through there.

SykoTech

BleachGAF, huh? Welp, time to find another Community Thread. I wonder if PersonaGAF is looking for new members....

Guess I'll rewatch the Soul SOciety arc yet again.

Seda

Art style is definitely different. Their heads look huge, but they may have looked like that in the original.

throwing out some manga and can't decide what i wanna keep , i have bleach and naruto , both just the volumes before they turned to shit but still cumbersome to have with little intent to read again. have some yu yu hakusho, eyeshield 21, and all of dragon ball that i have no intent of throwing out

I'd so be willing to do the latter if i wasn't currently in another country, though they are pretty old, browned and dusty even besides working out shipping from another country.

daveo42

Banned
I can't quite put my finger on what the actual issue is, but there is something going on that makes the characters look off.

I think it's the eyes that are throwing me off on SMC.

I def think it has something to do the faces in general, but in some of the shots they look totally fine. The ending shot with all of the scouts looks like a copy/paste which skews any actual depth and make them look even more off than they actually are.

I'm still gonna watch it though. Nothing going to stop me from doing that.

ckohler

I think the characters look like a parody of Sailor Moon, like the kind you might see when someone does an American animated comedy bit with Sailor Moon-esque looking characters who aren't really Sailor Moon.

I know this is closer to the manga but it looks wrong. :/

789shadow

Banned
The characters look like a parody of Sailor Moon, like the kind you see when someone does an animated comedy routine with Sailor Moon-like characters.

I know this is closer to what they looked like in the original manga but that doesn't change the fact that it looks wrong. :/
So basically it's a parody of itself?

Seda

BpZB2hXIgAEI2o8.jpg

todd360

Whats with the lack of attack on titan blu-rays? Did they not ship very many? Amazon doesn't even have any. Can't find any stores around me with them. Wal-mart still says preorder even though its already out.

Edit: I hate how the only stores with a decent size anime selection always charge an arm and a leg.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
SHE DOESN'T HAVE TOAST.

YOU HONOR THE AGE-OLD TRADITION OF HAVING YOUR CHARACTER WHO'S LATE FOR SCHOOL HAVE TOAST IN THEIR MOUTH, ESPECIALLY IF THEY'RE ABOUT TO BUMP INTO SOMEONE AROUND THE CORNER THAT THEY DON'T KNOW BUT IT TURNS OUT TO BE THE NEW TRANSFER STUDENT AND THEN HIJINKS ENSUE.

THAT'S THE BIG DEAL!

...............I think, I don't know, looks fine to me I guess.

LOLDSFAN

Does that look....not right to anyone else?

I'm not sure what I'm comparing it too, I've watched like five minutes of the first episode of Sailor Moon and that's it.

It's because they're trying to make a 2014 anime look like a 1990's anime. There's a reason we don't use that style anymore...

I appreciate the fact that they're trying to stay true to the original but in this day in age it just looks bad.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's because they're trying to make a 2014 anime look like a 1990's anime. There's a reason we don't use that style anymore...

I appreciate the fact that they're trying to stay true to the original but in this day in age it just looks bad.
That, I can understand. I had that feeling with GXP, as it was in that era when anime was starting to become more digital compared to hand drawn, so they didn't quite figure out what styles would transfer well to digital.

I mean, art is subjective but how can anyone say that looks bad? Is this a case of message board hyperbole striking again or do people really think this is an insult to the eyes? I can't even tell there's a difference between the old and new series outside of an obvious increase in resolution/sharpness.

I can't see how you can't tell there is a difference, but really the new art doesn't look bad per say, some shots just look off especially in motion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom