• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun14| Lu Lu Lala Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's pretty much pandering to the crowd who actually buys all of the merchandise which is why the lolification/perversion of anime has gotten so prominent.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
No idea but kayos and gmn bring up good points. I do wonder though if this laissez-faire attitude towards incest only exists within a small bubble that we are over exposed to as anime fans, or if this fetish is widespread. I don't watch any Japanese television programming outside of anime so I'm curious to know if you see this touched upon in live-action shows or film.

Depends on the incest actually.

daveo42

Banned
I'm surprised all this incest lasted so long. It's probably either a part of and/or spawned from moe culture and differing opinions on what constitutes incest. Cousins are fine there, but not in the US.

70s, 80s for me please. I miss true hand drawn animation.

eh it's certainly not a spawn of moe culture at least not alone (can't be bothered to think of when people consider the "moe craze" to have started though they typically point at Lucky Star or whatever), a friend who was in living in japan about 9-10 years ago can account to me about how she could go into a store, randomly buy a romance manga/light novel (you know just buying books cause the cover is interesting) and it could end up being a brother-sister or "raised like brother-sister but adopted/cousins" plot. Additionally it pops up in enough k and j dramas to at least be lamp shaded though grain of salt needed obviously since well, tumblr.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
eh it's certainly not a spawn of moe culture at least not alone (can't be bothered to think of when people consider the "moe craze" to have started though they typically point at Lucky Star or whatever), a friend who was in living in japan about 9-10 years ago can account to me about how she could go into a store, randomly buy a romance manga/light novel (you know just buying books cause the cover is interesting) and it could end up being a brother-sister or "raised like brother-sister but adopted/cousins" plot. Additionally it pops up in enough k and j dramas to at least be lamp shaded though grain of salt needed obviously since well, tumblr.

Indeed. Close quarters? Low birthrate? Some facets of culture/mythology being passed down slightly under the radar? Who knows. All I know is that it was rare as hell in anime (it's played for laughs in the original Tenchi OVA) until last decade when it exploded. A couple of friends who really REALLY (ewwww) like Hentai say its been there all along under the surface.

Mature

^ The first episode of Maou-Sama was really good. Wish the series kept it up.

ugh 90s art like that was the worst
I don't know if it's a fair representation of average 90's design. It's more just... Saber Marionette J design.

Hello friends, have you heard the gospel of SUPERIOR FIVE TONE SHADING?

fivetoneshading.jpg

4rYvj.jpg

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I'm surprised all this incest lasted so long. It's probably either a part of and/or spawned from moe culture and differing opinions on what constitutes incest. Cousins are fine there, but not in the US.

70s, 80s for me please. I miss true hand drawn animation.

On the other hand brother-sister incest is a huge taboo, even among not blood related siblings.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Also pretty much everything on the old school side are OVAs with decent budgets while the counter examples are as far as I can tell all TV series...some of which do look better than the older examples.

But sure, get a few hundred million lined up and we can get that old look back for one show.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Never mind this decade shit, Kingdom Hearts 2.5 is coming in December! Yeaaaaah!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm hoping for a second season. I also really like how they didn't take the easy route & dedicate 2 or more episodes on "WELP, how will we get a place to live?" & all those other cliche "outsider/visitor from another planet/dimension/time period/whatever" things they do. It's taken care of within the first episode, they've adapted to living, & we can get straight to the actual plot.

Also, the last episode gave us a hilarious face:

the-devil-is-a-part-timer-maou-sadao.jpg

daveo42

Banned
tumblr_n69rswW08s1tzt34ko1_1280.png

You thought incest in anime was a '00s thing?

WROOOOONG.

Incest in anime/manga has been around for a long time, but it's become much more prevalent in more mainstream shows and television. The bigger question is why that's happening, especially because of how taboo a subject it can be. At least in older manga and anime, the big conversation of whether or not it is wrong is at least breached. Some more recent shows just give it a pass or joke around the subject while it still plays a large part of the plot. Now this can't be applied to all anime/manga and we'd need more hard evidence of what the contributing factors are.

My basis of some relation to moe culture include younger females doing overly cute things all of the time. Making that person a sibling is easier to introduce that character into the story. Add in the taboo for drama and there we go.

Also pretty much everything on the old school side are OVAs with decent budgets while the counter examples are as far as I can tell all TV series...some of which do look better than the older examples.

But sure, get a few hundred million lined up and we can get that old look back for one show.

Yeah, that chart isn't really helpful because it's a comparison of ovas, movies and TV shows. No one has the big budgets to do 26 episodes at the quality of a 6 episode ova or two hour movie. FYI, Redline was completely hand drawn and it took the production company several years to finish it. It was insanely detailed, but even trying to pair that down into an ova would mean a major drop in quality.

Let's compare OG Gundam and Seed for a better comparison, or any of the other TV anime from the 70s and 80s instead. I just miss hand drawn animation because of how similar a lot of anime look now. There's some visual flair here and there, but a ton of it just looks the same.

Edit: I wish I didn't know those Jojo figures existed because now I need them Bishop.

I really don't care for this old school vs new school anime mumbo jumbo. Anime is anime. I mean, as long as it doesnt look terrible I don't care what style it is in.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
She...kinda is a filler character in the sense that Hueco Mundo was a gigantic waste of time for the most part.

hello character that was great (in design) and (actually i haven't kept up with bleach since after the Fullbringer arc but i'm pretty sure) that we never see again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom