• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun14| Lu Lu Lala Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOLDSFAN

mO0HVhu.png

That look of pure joy. :D

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Interesting thing to note: Nel's adult form has been subjected to censorship twice.
In the manga, her outfit exposes a bit of underboob. This was censored in the anime.
The second instance involves her appearance on the Volume 34 cover. When Viz released it, they covered her up by moving the Bleach logo into the center. Original Viz

They would do the same censorship for Volume 42 with Harribel and Volume 46 with Rangiku.
No idea why Viz feels the need to censor boobs... it's not like they're trying to appeal to a mass audience, manga is a very niche thing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's actually weird the anime censored it to begin with, it's not like Bleach doesn't know what underboob is.

Interesting thing to note: Nel's adult form has been subjected to censorship twice.
In the manga, her outfit exposes a bit of underboob. This was censored in the anime.
The second instance involves her appearance on the Volume 34 cover. When Viz released it, they covered her up by moving the Bleach logo into the center. Original Viz

They would do the same censorship for Volume 42 with Harribel and Volume 46 with Rangiku.
No idea why Viz feels the need to censor boobs... it's not like they're trying to appeal to a mass audience, manga is a very niche thing.

are they really not aware of how hilarious it looks when they put the title over some boobs? like, that kinda makes it worse.

789shadow

Banned
I'm pretty sure that huge anime shading image cheats a ton by cherry-picking shots for "old anime" from movies and such, which naturally have much better animation.

They censor because of parents. The target audience for this stuff isn't grown men, it's 12-17 year old boys. Viz wants to protect their brand image and America is more conservative than Japan when it comes to sexuality.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I have no idea what will be the theme of tonights Bleach countdown...yet.

I feel the need to tell a story with these gif spams, a character arc if you will.

Feel free to get the ball rolling on your own, Bleach fans.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's actually weird the anime censored it to begin with, it's not like Bleach doesn't know what underboob is.
It's Shonen Jump. They tend to tone down some stuff for the anime version. Heck, the Reborn! anime changed the bullets that gave people different powers to....beams of light. I'd say "they don't want kids to grab a real gun & test it out", but considering how damn restrictive Japan is with firearms & such, I don't know.

Gorillaz

Repeating what was said in the Dandy thread, the season 2 trailer actually looks like they haven't ran out of weird material. Also seems to be (obviously) a setup to some of the Dr. Gel story and his "boss" type of shit.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's Shonen Jump. They tend to tone down some stuff for the anime version. Heck, the Reborn! anime changed the bullets that gave people different powers to....beams of light. I'd say "they don't want kids to grab a real gun & test it out", but considering how damn restrictive Japan is with firearms & such, I don't know.

FgKETgW.gif

There was a kid who killed himself trying to reenact a Gaara fight, he buried himself alive and suffocated to death I think. Dragonball also got pulled from a lot of retailers back in the late 80s/early 90s because parents complained about some of the sexual content.

Kids do dumb things. America is conservative. Viz wants sell things and make money. It's an unfortunate situation but I see why they went the censorship route.

Viz's censorship amuses me because it really underlines the weird standards where violence is ok but a bunch of other stuff isn't. some of that manga gets really damn bloody and they're worried about whether they should translate kami

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
so like

y'all make jokes about Bleach all the time, but I seriously want to know if it's worth watching or not

Man God

Non-Canon Member
From the beginning? The first major arc kicks ass.

Right now on Toonami? 4 episodes in a row have been good, practically unheard of in Bleach in the past few years.

In general? Eeeeeeeh, maybe? Probably not? Give it a shot.

I enjoyed Bleach despite its low points, I wouldn't start it over OP though especially when Bleach's anime is ending on Toonami in a few months

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
There was a kid who killed himself trying to reenact a Gaara fight, he buried himself alive and suffocated to death I think. Dragonball also got pulled from a lot of retailers back in the late 80s/early 90s because parents complained about some of the sexual content.

Kids do dumb things. America is conservative. Viz wants sell things and make money. It's an unfortunate situation but I see why they went the censorship route.
Fair enough. I'm actually reminded of an episode of Bakuman where they deal with a news report of someone actually doing something they learned in the manga the main characters made in order to steal something, then eventually learn of all the complaint letters that parents have been sending about how their kids are trying to replicate what they read. I can't help but wonder how much is based on past experience, considering the author is the guy who did Death Note which got a TON of flack cuz of all the kids that'd make their own death note.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
so like

y'all make jokes about Bleach all the time, but I seriously want to know if it's worth watching or not

In long run, not really, and much like One Piece even if you like Bleach, you are better off reading the Manga since Bleach has SO MUCH filler, more filler then canon.

daveo42

Banned
Fair enough. I'm actually reminded of an episode of Bakuman where they deal with a news report of someone actually doing something they learned in the manga the main characters made in order to steal something, then eventually learn of all the complaint letters that parents have been sending about how their kids are trying to replicate what they read. I can't help but wonder how much is based on past experience, considering the author is the guy who did Death Note which got a TON of flack cuz of all the kids that'd make their own death note.

I remember that arc. Since it was a manga about writing manga, there's probably a good bit of truth to it depending on the average age of your fanbase. I think the manga in question was geared more towards a middle school group anyway because of age of the characters themselves and the setting. Not at all surprised at flack from Death Note.

Viz's censorship amuses me because it really underlines the weird standards where violence is ok but a bunch of other stuff isn't. some of that manga gets really damn bloody and they're worried about whether they should translate kami

Yeah, why is violence okay but skin is treated like a huge deal? Doesn't make sense to me, censorship in America is weird.

so like

It's my favorite show on the block, I say it's worth watching if you like battle shonen. There's a TON of filler though, skip all of it except the one off episodes and Bount/Invading Army arcs.

Oh man I forgot about the whole Death Note fiasco. I think there was a kid in my school district who got arrested for leaving one laying around as a prank. People don't take kindly to death threats, no matter how tongue-in-cheek they may be.

Yeah that is almost certainly because of the negative feed back.

Raxus

I dunno. For every instance we have off a kid imitating anime we do get the occasional YouTube video that is 2 minutes of someone looking like they are shitting themselves in order to go "SSJ".

Seda

FMA v FMAB thread. Trying to keep it civil yet one or two people always have to jump at the other throat.

sigh

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Probably a bunch of young whelps who don't respect the far superior coloring and scoring of FMA, I tell you what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom