• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun14| Lu Lu Lala Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
that seems like such a weird thing to fake. i mean, shouldn't you be faking stuff people actually want?

giphy.gif

so am i the only one who finds the original FMA's attempt to make Lust sympathetic a little bit silly? i mean, she looks like a supervillain and her name is LUST. imagine some Snidely Whiplash-looking guy named Famine working in a soup kitchen, and that's how the whole thing kinda came off to me.

so am i the only one who finds the original FMA's attempt to make Lust sympathetic a little bit silly? i mean, she looks like a supervillain and her name is LUST. imagine some Snidely Whiplash-looking guy named Famine working in a soup kitchen, and that's how the whole thing kinda came off to me.

To be fair it does make sense in FMA 03's world for the Homonculi to be a bit more sympathetic as in that universe they were humans who died and were brought back in an artificial body while still having their original memories. I feel like Lust and 03 Wrath were really the only characters you felt the struggle between what they are and who they originally were. It flips with Sloth who was always depicted as a loving mother who never acts like who she originally was treating Ed/Al pretty terrible despite evidence that she does remember they're her sons, it seems like a huge missed opportunity to not have her battle Hoenhiem over some angry "I died because you left me/you used me" or some shenanigans.

To be fair it does make sense in FMA 03's world for the Homonculi to be a bit more sympathetic as in that universe they were humans who died and were brought back in an artificial body while still having their original memories. I feel like Lust and 03 Wrath were really the only characters you felt the struggle between what they are and who they originally were. It flips with Sloth who was always depicted as a loving mother who never acts like who she originally was treating Ed/Al pretty terrible despite evidence that she does remember they're her sons, it seems like a huge missed opportunity to not have her battle Hoenhiem over some angry "I died because you left me/you used me" or some shenanigans.

well it makes sense, i just think the characters themselves clash so much with the idea. i laughed out loud when the guy she was helping out actually referred to her as "Lust"

well it makes sense, i just think the characters themselves clash so much with the idea. i laughed out loud when the guy she was helping out actually referred to her as "Lust"

In a world where Alchemist go by names like Full Metal, Flame, Strong Arm, Crimson, etc calling someone Lust really doesn't seem that weird.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've been watching Tenchi Muyo GXP lately and besides commenting on how it puts me to sleep I haven't had much to say about it.

Until today.

I reached the episode with the robot getting raped and the first time where the attendants out of nowhere try to get Not Tenchi to marry them, plus the ship named Poop.

Amikami

Banned
Had to catch up on the last few pages. Dat Dandy hype!

I've been watching Tenchi Muyo GXP lately and besides commenting on how it puts me to sleep I haven't had much to say about it.

Until today.

I reached the episode with the robot getting raped and the first time where the attendants out of nowhere try to get Not Tenchi to marry them, plus the ship named Poop.

This post makes me very appreciative of the fact that I couldn't stand the show and gave up after episode 4. *Phew*

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Until today.

What gets me about the "ship named Poop" joke is that it's completely lost in translation.
He wanted a ship with the word "Luck" in it, and the Japanese word for Luck is "Un". So instead of trying to work around this, they just kept the "Unko" part in.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Watching it on Netflix is fun because this is one of those animes with a literal subtitle track that doesn't match up at all with the dub.

bigkrev

Did I mention that shoving 'objectively' into opinionated arguments about entertainment media is silly?

It's normally hyperbole or wrong, but in the case of FMA vs FMA:B, I can't think of a better word to use. Factually? Then, factually, FMA is better than FMA:B

Kagari would probably squash a thread (if there isn't one)

KYAJxMA.png

Though I'm not sure which of the three logos is the Japanese one?

PN9mvmQl.jpg

Kayos and someone were getting in a catfight a week ago when the poster refused to believe that FF15 would not be at e3, calling out Kagiri for having wrong information. It was funny.

Oh, and here is a new horror you can find at your LGS:
Bpe06ZACYAA8em9.jpg

Sword Art Online playmats for the terrible Weiss Schwartz CCG

It's normally hyperbole or wrong, but in the case of FMA vs FMA:B, I can't think of a better word to use. Factually? Then, factually, FMA is better than FMA:B

Kayos and someone were getting in a catfight a week ago when the poster refused to believe that FF15 would not be at e3, calling out Kagiri for having wrong information. It was funny.

Oh, and here is a new horror you can find at your LGS:
Bpe06ZACYAA8em9.jpg

Sword Art Online playmats for the terrible Weiss Schwartz CCG

SAO is also factually a good anime

See how facts really aren't always truth

bigkrev

SAO is also factually a good anime

See how facts really aren't always truth

You need to provide facts to back up your argument. The facts i'm using in my argument to back up my claim of FMA being better than FMA:B is that FMA:B is a worse show. You need to use facts when you claim something is objective

You need to provide facts to back up your argument. The facts i'm using in my argument to back up my claim of FMA being better than FMA:B is that FMA:B is a worse show. You need to use facts when you claim something is objective

FMA:B is factually a better show then FMA

SAO is factually a better show then FMA

FMA:B is factually a better show then SAO

FMA:B > SAO > FMA

This is some hard science here backed up by years of browsing wikipedia, watching hentai, and eating McDonalds double cheeseburgers. Conversation is over

bigkrev

FMA:B is factually a better show then FMA

SAO is factually a better show then FMA

FMA:B is factually a better show then SAO

FMA:B > SAO > FMA

This is some hard science here backed up by years of browsing wikipedia, watching hentai, and eating McDonalds double cheeseburgers. Conversation is over

First of all, factually, people who eat Double Cheeseburgers from Mcdonalds are dumb, because for a little less you can get the McDouble which is cheaper, and tastes exactly the same (a combination of sadness and death). Second of all, you didn't back up your points like I did. You say that something is a better show than something, and give no proof as to why. saying its from watching Hentai- you need to cite your sources. saying it's from Wikipedia- you understand anyone can edit wikipedia? And as mentioned earlier, your admittance of consuming Double Cheeseburgers from McDonalds betrays that you are indeed a fool with no idea what they are talking about.

LOLDSFAN

Yaaaaaaaaaay!!!

392 days later and I'm finally caught up on One Piece!!!

Bring on Saturday night. ᕕ( ಠ‿ಠ)ᕗ

iy2Xzv5o2sZam.gif

Seda

factually, FMA is better than FMA:B

So you claim FMA is better than FMAB and this is a impartial truth grounded in fact, correct? Would you also say it's a fact that some people think FMAB is better than FMA? I would. There's a thread that I can source to back that claim. It's pretty indisputable evidence I should say.

So what does this mean? Are those people living in a world with different rules? How can they align against the first hard objective truth? There are a couple of of explanations I can give.

1.) Those people are all part of a conspiracy and lying, effectively meaning our second truth claim is false.

2.) Those people must all be mentally ill, there must be a chemical imbalance or physical disability that prevents them from seeing things properly. They are 'factblind' in some way.

3.) That actually there isn't anything factual at all about entertainment preferences, effectively meaning or first truth claim is false.

I'm leaning towards 3. We have no evidence that there is a conspiracy. I don't think doctors or physicians have discovered any traits or abnormalities leading to 'factblindness' either. Which one do you like? If you don't like these explanations, then what is your explanation? How is it possible for our two facts to coexist?

This is silly.

To be serious for a moment, for the things FMA 03 did well (better opening pacing, better color according to non color blind people, expansion on Lust's character, the change in concept to the homonculi) it's ending Shamballa really kills so much good will I have for it. And no you can't just say "herp derp ignore Shamballa" it is the conclusion of the series, it'd be like saying to ignore End of Evangelion because you prefer the more introspective ending the tv show had. If we're going to look at FMA 03 as a series the whole thing has to be evaluated including Conquerors of Shamballa and when even people who prefer FMA 03 say to "ignore Shamballa and let the original ending stand on it's own" something has clearly gone wrong.

Edit: If you want to see an amazing post check out this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=832537 specifically post 7

bigkrev

So you claim FMA is better than FMAB and this is a impartial truth grounded in fact, correct? Would you also say it's a fact that some people think FMAB is better than FMA? I would. There's a thread that I can source to back that claim. It's pretty indisputable evidence I should say.

So what does this mean? Are those people living in a world with different rules? How can they align against the first hard objective truth? There are a couple of of explanations I can give.

1.) Those people are all part of a conspiracy and lying, effectively meaning our second truth claim is false.

2.) Those people must all be mentally ill, there must be a chemical imbalance or physical disability that prevents them from seeing things properly. They are 'factblind' in some way.

3.) That actually there isn't anything factual at all about entertainment preferences, effectively meaning or first truth claim is false.

I'm leaning towards 3. We have no evidence that there is a conspiracy. I don't think doctors or physicians have discovered any traits or abnormalities leading to 'factblindness' either. Which one do you like? If you don't like these explanations, then what is your explanation? How is it possible for our two facts to coexist?

This is silly.

I choose answer 4- it is a false piece of information that has been distrubuted as fact long enough that people believe it without thinking. A common example of this is the height of Andre the Giant- if you google "How Tall is Andre the Giant", google will answer you with "7'4". However, from the obituary in the Feb 8 1993 edition of Wrestling Observer by Dave Meltzer, the authority on wrestling

Andre will forever be known as being 7-foot-4 and 520 pounds. His size and his legend may even grow bigger as the years go on. At times, particularly in his later years, that weight figure was probably accurate. Some say his weight was in excess of 550 pounds at the time of his death. He was not 7-foot-4, or even close to that height. The 7-4 figure, created when he first came to Montreal in late 1970, was probably because the most famous tall athlete in the world at the time, basketball superstar Lew Alcindor (who became more famous as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar), was 7-2 and promoters wanted to bill him as the tallest and largest athlete in the world. At his tallest, he was probably around 6-10, maybe he could have been 6-11 before he ever made his mark in North America. Basketball players who met him generally estimated his height at around 6-9, although he was proportioned completely different than any 6-9 man around with relatively short legs, a long torso and huge head, their estimates could have been deceptive. In a photo with 7-2 Wilt Chamberlain and Arnold Schwarzeneggar taken when both were in Mexico City around 1984, Wilt appeared to have Andre by about three inches, although Wilt was bare-footed in the photo while Andre was wearing thick heels. Arnold looked like a small midget in between them, although Andre appeared to have basketball's goliath by about 150 pounds. In the mid-70s, Andre appeared in a TV series called "The Six Million Dollar Man," playing the character "Bigfoot." Later that season, "Bigfoot" was brought back for a return bout with Steve Austin, the hero character played by Lee Majors in what was at the time one of the most popular shows on television. The second "Bigfoot" was the late actor Ted Cassidy, who was always billed at being 6-9. Cassidy was most well-known for his role as Lurch on the Adams Family television show in the 60s. Comparing the two episodes it was obvious Lurch was taller than Andre. In 1976, when Andre had his famous boxer vs. wrestler match at Shea Stadium against Chuck Wepner on the undercard of the Muhammad Ali vs. Antonio Inoki fiasco, legitimate sportswriters who took notice of Andre for the first time estimated him at 6-9, 370. However, later in his career, Andre posed in numerous photographs with Shohei "Giant" Baba, and he appeared to be around an inch or two taller than the 6-foot-8 Japanese giant. Those photos were taken in his later years, after gravity had taken its toll on his aching spine and lower back. It would probably be fair to say his size was his gimmick, the reason for his popularity and his drawing power. Yet, there have been a few wrestlers who were legitimately taller, yet to this point, none ever even made a mark in the business. There were a few who were heavier, some of whom, the original Haystacks Calhoun comes to mind, turned out to be genuine attractions, but certainly nothing comparable to Andre.

There are enough people out there who have taken the misinformation of FMA: B being better than FMA and spread it in the public consciousness, to which many people wrongly believe it to be true. I'm doing the public a service by explaining that they are wrong, but it likely isn't their fault that they are wrong.

bigkrev

Yaaaaaaaaaay!!!

392 days later and I'm finally caught up on One Piece!!!

Bring on Saturday night. ᕕ( ಠ‿ಠ)ᕗ

iy2Xzv5o2sZam.gif

I'm at vol 62 of the Manga... this post time-skip stuff is really killing my interest, it's pretty dull. Hope it gets better.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm at vol 62 of the Manga... this post time-skip stuff is really killing my interest, it's pretty dull. Hope it gets better.

You're still like 2 arcs behind the manga thread, shit's been getting pretty goddamn real in the current arc so fear not.

bigkrev

You're still like 2 arcs behind the manga thread, shit's been getting pretty goddamn real in the current arc so fear not.

I really liked everything that happened after Water 7 up till the skip, so I do have hope, but man this is dragging out.

My goal is to be caught up for the Vita game later this month

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I really liked everything that happened after Water 7 up till the skip, so I do have hope, but man this is dragging out.

Part of that's because the previous arc was so goddamn amazballs that it skewed your expectations, it happened to everyone though. It was just hyped too hard. The arc is a lot better when it's not being subconsciously compared to the previous one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom