• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun14| Lu Lu Lala Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I believe that Aniplex has ridiculously high prices because they know that the faithful American otaku will buy those sets no matter what.
TY7QnAQ.png

That+a vocal Japanese parent company+the actual legitimate fear of reverse importing because US and Japan are the same BR region.

I don't understand. I haven't watched the footage yet, but I don't get how a pretty girl was the best part. Explain?

She sings Kill La Kills opening and is performing a live concert at anime expo next month. A lot of people got a laugh out of her when she waved her hands so frantically fast saying bye bye.

Crap I have to be at work early tomorrow and I'm still posting on GAF curse you Aniplex/Kill La Kill

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gucchi, if there is one thing I have learned from the failure of DBZ to stay in the past, it is don't take Demarco's words as bible truth. That being said, yea, Kill la Kill is iffy at best, Panty and Stocking all over again. there is some shit Oh also Aniplex prices its sets to stop reverse inporting from Japan.

Gorillaz

If Aniplex are the ones to deal with the editing then I can see it working out. The way Demarco mentioned it on twitter, sounds like he isn't trying to handle all of that.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
If Aniplex are the ones to deal with the editing then I can see it working out. The way Demarco mentioned it on twitter, sounds like he isn't trying to handle all of that.

That seems to be the true key to Kill la Kill on Toonami, if Aniplex edits, we will see it, otherwise yea no chance.

Levyne

Banned
Not knowing any of the jpn voices and only going by the performance in the short clips....everyone sounds good except Ryuko (?) and Satsuki (?)

Seitz...sounds like Seitz.

Well, I watched the first episode one boring day at work.

That seems to be the true key to Kill la Kill on Toonami, if Aniplex edits, we will see it, otherwise yea no chance.

Yep, they clearly have a good relationship with Toonami and let them host that SAO contest and they even pimped Blue Exorcist on Toonami during their stream. Airing an edited KLK with big old "BUY THE DVD/BLU RAY FOR UNCUT" just seems like such a logical thing for Aniplex especially at those prices lol

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Hiiiiii everyone.
*crawls into hole* No more human contact... not for a while.

So what did I miss?
*ratings* Memorial Day caused the lowness and... oh god those One Piece ratings
*Kill la Kill dub* That's cool I guess.

i'll be honest, i kinda question why Aniplex feels the need to put stuff on TV. i think 98% of the people who are willing to pay their prices have probably already heard of the shows in question. not that i'm complaining or anything, i just find it weird.

Huh. I really, really like their choices. Erica Mendez does a great Ryuko scream and Carrie Keranen sounds pretty great. Not really feeling Patrick Seitz as Gamagori. I feel like they just keep using him because "Oh this character is a big guy. Let's get Seitz on the phone." Maybe once I hear some more of him i'll change my mind. Still, liking everyone else so far.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
UUUGGGHHHH, when I hear Ryuko dub, I hear faint traces of Pac-Man. It's so weird.

Everyone else is pretty decent. Senketsu is kind of odd.

I'm gonna assume you edited in that DeMarco lol

I think the fact Toonami is able to pull off so many of the things you mentioned is a good sign the show will come to the block eventually, especially if Aniplex is willing to help with the editing/censoring to get the show on the block. You're arguing "facts" but you don't actually have any real numbers to show only an assumption on how much it would cost to censor KLK and how much it would cost to license the show on the block vs it's potential income. You're also quoting DeMarco who clearly says "we're looking at it" which is far better then "no plans to announce at this time". The man has also gone on the record as saying they listen to the fans and the fans help decide what content comes to the block... as people here about the fact "some guy an Aniplex" said "hopefully it comes to Toonami" those request are going to flood. Of course he's going to mention the nudity being a problem, it WILL be a problem no one's denying that. Toonami and Aniplex will find a way to make the show happen if they want it to and both sides have clearly expressed interest in it happening.

It's silly to say something will NEVER air on Toonami, you can say it's not a very good chance but that's not 0%. I imagine some people might have said Black Lagoon would never air on Toonami because "they'd have to censor half the dialogue and at that point what's the point" and here we are a billion bleeps later. I honestly do think you're letting your anger at that scene that happens later in KLK and you're general dislike of the show cloud your judgement the way Shard was denying any chance of DBZ Kai airing.

This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say that I'm arguing facts and you're going off blind faith. I don't know why you think new content created over time as the block has grown (ya know, a natural progression) automatically means Kill La Kill is coming. Aren't you the same person who made the claim Fairy Tail was coming to toonami in the fall and that it was a matter of when, not if? We both know how that blind prediction went.

What part of DeMarco's comments at Momocon do you not understand? He straight up said it would be tough to air. We know CN has a strict policy on excessive nudity/violence/language to protect their family friendly image. I really can't tell if your serious here or just unwilling to see another point of view because you want the show to air so badly.

Using 'Well DeMarco says they listen to fans' is a flimsy argument. If the fans truly dictated programming we'd have 2 hours of original DBZ to kick off the block followed by Sailor Moon, Yu Yu Hakusho, and G Gundam. What the fans suggest does hold some weight, but it is not the only factor that goes into picking up a show:

How they pick shows:
  1. DeMarco, Gill, and Ken Manning at Adult Swim look at how much money they have available. That's the number one thing.
  2. Research what they personally are excited about and mostly what the fans are talking about. DeMarco said that he can confirm that people online have told him about shows and that has led them into looking into those shows. Those suggestions matter. When you say things on Tumblr or tweet him on Twitter suggestions for shows they listen and take those suggestions into consideration.
  3. What do the partners have to show. Partners will sometimes come to them and suggest shows they'd like to see on Toonami.
  4. Think about what shows they have. What shows are like that? What shows are different? Do the shows they're thinking about "feel like Toonami"?

Also, please tell me where I said it will NEVER come to toonami? I'm not Nostradamus or Ms Cleo, I can't predict the future and won't pretend to be able to. I've said numerous times that without heavy editing, it probably won't air. I've outlined how a tight budget could prevent them from airing KLK, backed up by DeMarco saying money is the NUMBER ONE deciding factor in whether or not they pick something up. Let's take a look at exactly what I said in my last post:

I don't know exactly how large toonami's budget is or what kind of deal they could work out with Aniplex, but at some point they have to make a cost/benefit analysis and at this time, KLK might be too much of a money sink to air for the returns they would get.

Is that me saying 'LOL KLK is NEVER coming guys' or am I saying it's unlikely to happen at this time? Please stop putting words in my mouth, I'm not trying to rain on your KLK parade. I'm not a fan of the show but if it's going to make toonami money and allow them to acquire new assets/create additional content, then I'm all for it airing. I can do something else for 30 minutes.

i'll be honest, i kinda question why Aniplex feels the need to put stuff on TV. i think 98% of the people who are willing to pay their prices have probably already heard of the shows in question. not that i'm complaining or anything, i just find it weird.

I mean both SAO and Blue Exorcist have done what 800k-900k average while they've aired on Toonami? That's a lot of people and that exposure likely leads to more dvd/blu ray sales, how many times have we seen shows or movies that have aired on Toonami sell out on Amazon during or after they aired? Obviously I don't have any hard numbers to show how sales have improved, but considering Attack on Titan which is arguably 10x more popular then KLK is having it's dub air on Toonami before the DVDs are on sale I imagine Funi/Ani/Viz feel like getting their shows on TV/toonami helps to boost those sales and not detract from them.

The first KLK volume comes out on July 15th.

It's almost disturbing how slowly the gap between the end of a show's run in Japan and the release of an English dub in the West is starting to shrink.

Wait, I just noticed Inumuta is voiced by Steve Staley. So why does it say Steve Cannon on that image you posted earlier? Is that his new stage name? Steve Cannon? RIP in peace, Staleygasms.

I mean both SAO and Blue Exorcist have done what 800k-900k average while they've aired on Toonami? That's a lot of people and that exposure likely leads to more dvd/blu ray sales, how many times have we seen shows or movies that have aired on Toonami sell out on Amazon during or after they aired? Obviously I don't have any hard numbers to show how sales have improved, but considering Attack on Titan which is arguably 10x more popular then KLK is having it's dub air on Toonami before the DVDs are on sale I imagine Funi/Ani/Viz feel like getting their shows on TV/toonami helps to boost those sales and not detract from them.

well, the difference with like Funimation is that they have stuff at reasonable prices. i feel like most of the people who are just hearing about Aniplex shows through Toonami are going to be driven off once they see the price of the DVDs; the people who are actually paying that amount of money are the hardcore fans who probably knew about it long before the dub even existed, let alone aired on TV.

bigkrev

I believe that Aniplex has ridiculously high prices because they know that the faithful American otaku will buy those sets no matter what.
TY7QnAQ.png

10 dollars an episode... even HBO didn't ask that much back in the day (when 13 episodes of Sopranos was 99 dollars on VHS or DVD).

well, the difference with like Funimation is that they have stuff at reasonable prices. i feel like most of the people who are just hearing about Aniplex shows through Toonami are going to be driven off once they see the price of the DVDs; the people who are actually paying that amount of money are the hardcore fans who probably knew about it long before the dub even existed, let alone aired on TV.

I'm pretty sure for the price of the special edition Blu Ray of KLK, you can get the entire 64 episodes of FMA:B on Bluray

This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say that I'm arguing facts and you're going off blind faith. I don't know why you think new content created over time as the block has grown (ya know, a natural progression) automatically means Kill La Kill is coming. Aren't you the same person who made the claim Fairy Tail was coming to toonami in the fall and that it was a matter of when, not if? We both know how that blind prediction went.

What part of DeMarco's comments at Momocon do you not understand? He straight up said it would be tough to air. We know CN has a strict policy on excessive nudity/violence/language to protect their family friendly image. I really can't tell if your serious here or just unwilling to see another point of view because you want the show to air so badly.

Using 'Well DeMarco says they listen to fans' is a flimsy argument. If the fans truly dictated programming we'd have 2 hours of original DBZ to kick off the block followed by Sailor Moon, Yu Yu Hakusho, and G Gundam. What the fans suggest does hold some weight, but it is not the only factor that goes into picking up a show:

Also, please tell me where I said it will NEVER come to toonami? I'm not Nostradamus or Ms Cleo, I can't predict the future and won't pretend to be able to. I've said numerous times that without heavy editing, it probably won't air. I've outlined how a tight budget could prevent them from airing KLK, backed up by DeMarco saying money is the NUMBER ONE deciding factor in whether or not they pick something up. Let's take a look at exactly what I said in my last post:

Is that me saying 'LOL KLK is NEVER coming guys' or am I saying it's unlikely to happen at this time? Please stop putting words in my mouth, I'm not trying to rain on your KLK parade. I'm not a fan of the show but if it's going to make toonami money and allow them to acquire new assets/create additional content, then I'm all for it airing. I can do something else for 30 minutes.

What facts? You have no numbers, how much does it cost to air a show? How much will it cost to air KLK? How much money does Toonami have currently? How much are they earning on Titan/Dandy/etc? How much did SAO/BE cost to air?

We don't know ANY of these things, we can all guess that KLK/Aniplex shows are expensive but we don't know that for sure.

Also
It's not coming

That's your post on the last page, in response to me saying "it's only a matter of time before KLK airs on the block". How else am I supposed to interpret your "it's not coming message" other then you saying "KLK will not air on Toonami" ?

Your "facts" and my "facts" are 100% speculation and reading things into quotes when the only thing that truly matters is the fact things can change. What know for sure is that

1- There is fan demand for KLK
2- DeMarco/Toonami are looking into the show but nudity would be a problem
3- Aniplex has expressed interest in the show airing on Toonami
4- Money is needed to air a show on the block, Toonami has a tight budget, Aniplex shows cost a lot to own on DVD/Blu Ray
5- Fan demand has impact on what shows come to the block in addition to money/cost

Really at after that any conclusions we wish to draw in terms of how likely KLK is to come to the block are not are just pure speculation. I look at everything above and speculate the series has a good chance of coming to Toonami, you look at it and think the opposite.

I don't think there is any way for us to know for sure cause AFAIK Aniplex doesn't release the information on their DVD sales. Though I do feel it's safe to say that among the 800-900k people who watch *insert aniplex show here* there are first time fans who will enjoy the show enough to pay the outrageous prices Aniplex asks to own the series on DVD/Blu Ray. Even if it's only a few hundred with the stupid prices Aniplex charges they probably made a worthy investment letting the show air on the block.

Heck I know I'll probably end up buying the bluray/dvd for Blue Exorcist in the future to own it and it's a series I may never have checked out without it airing on Toonami and I feel like I'm a pretty well versed manga/anime fan.

Are we....is BleachGAF gonna be a thing?

Man God isn't canon so at best it'll be a filler thing
Y8reiVX.jpg

What facts? You have no numbers, how much does it cost to air a show? How much will it cost to air KLK? How much money does Toonami have currently? How much are they earning on Titan/Dandy/etc? How much did SAO/BE cost to air?

We don't know ANY of these things, we can all guess that KLK/Aniplex shows are expensive but we don't know that for sure.

Also

That's your post on the last page, in response to me saying "it's only a matter of time before KLK airs on the block". How else am I supposed to interpret your "it's not coming message" other then you saying "KLK will not air on Toonami" ?

Your "facts" and my "facts" are 100% speculation and reading things into quotes when the only thing that truly matters is the fact things can change. What know for sure is that

1- There is fan demand for KLK
2- DeMarco/Toonami are looking into the show but nudity would be a problem
3- Aniplex has expressed interest in the show airing on Toonami
4- Money is needed to air a show on the block, Toonami has a tight budget, Aniplex shows cost a lot to own on DVD/Blu Ray
5- Fan demand has impact on what shows come to the block in addition to money/cost

Really at after that any conclusions we wish to draw in terms of how likely KLK is to come to the block are not are just pure speculation. I look at everything above and speculate the series has a good chance of coming to Toonami, you look at it and think the opposite.

Uh, what? Have you been ignoring the quotes I've been posting straight from DeMarco's mouth? Do you discount the new bumps, title cards, shows, music videos, etc? Did you already forget about The Intruder 2? Does that CG look cheap to you? This is what we call 'evidence' Bass. Right now I feel like your head is stuck in the sand and you're refusing to see the reality of the situation. Unless Aniplex agrees to do the editing or cuts toonami a good deal, KLK will probably not air anytime soon.

I'm not sure if you're even reading what I'm typing here. I already said I don't know what the exact budget is or what kind of deal they can work out, none of us do. Not sure why you're bringing that up when it goes both ways, how do you know they have the money for KLK? How do you know Aniplex is going to do the editing because from DeMarco's comments, it sure as heck seems like he doesn't want to do it himself. This is all just speculation, but I have more loose threads supporting my opinion than you do; your position is weak.

Maybe instead of interpreting 'It's not coming' when you're sitting here salivating over an offhand comment by a random Aniplex employee to mean 'never' you should pay attention to what I've been saying all along, lord knows I've spent enough time the last couple of days making my opinion known on whether or not the show will come to toonami and how I feel about it.

Seda

Watched the KLK trailer - as someone who has no idea what these people sound like in Japanese, Ryuuko's voice was the one I was most iffy on. The inflections on words are weird and her yelling is a little too guttural I think? Mako only had a short quip so not much to go on there.

Otherwise seemed okay.

I used to really dislike Patrick Seitz's performances but I think I've turned around on that a bit.

Crocodile

10 dollars an episode... even HBO didn't ask that much back in the day (when 13 episodes of Sopranos was 99 dollars on VHS or DVD).

Aniplex's pricing is outrageous but I would never compare Anime pricing to HBO or other American TV show pricing. There are too many variables (or lack there of) that go into the influencing the pricing of Anime that isn't relevant for HBO or other American shows sold in the US. For example ad revenue helps offset the cost of releasing American TV shows and American studios don't have to pay licensing fees to themselves. Also, considering even mediocre TV shows will likely outsell the best anime just due to exposure, economics of scale/supply & demand/etc. let them get away with cheaper prices.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Depending on the future of Bleach I might do a review/recap of some sort this fall. Probably not 80 episodes though.

Maybe every single 1-3 episode filler story. Maybe not. But yes, I am 100% fully on board with the Bleach faction (what's faction en espanol?)

What will you do when the Fullbring Arc ends and there will be no more BleachGAF for you? :/

I survived as a one man BleachGAF supporter in here for months and there will be more message board battles to fight in the future. I'll be at the ready, constantly hitting the F5 key just in case I'm needed.

ichigosmiling.gif

daveo42

Banned
I'd defend Bleach if it wasn't for the filler...and the terrible canon arcs. It gets made points on style and having a pretty rad early arc before Kubo kubo'd the series.

4 weeks later we'd be back to square one... 3 if we skip the awful one.

Which one is the awful one? I've only see the leafy one with the non-existent girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom