• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun14| Lu Lu Lala Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
The hinting can be a bit much at times, but I think we are going to get that as long as there is sizable portion of the group that has already seen the show. Since I've been here, spoilers haven't really gotten out of hand outside of once or twice. I think people need to stand back for a sec and decide whether or not what they post will ruin something for someone else.

Again, not really a big issue in here, but it's worth thinking about if you've already seen the show.

Is it just me or are people who have already seen the show more worried about spoilers than first time viewers

It's common courtesy, while I am ahead of quiet a few shows on the block (Titan, Bleach, Shippuden, OP) there are other shows I'm seeing for the first time (Blue Exorcist, Black Lagoon, Beware the batfail). If some of the stuff that is posted for titan, bleach, or op was being posted about during those shows I'd be very upset as it would ruin some of my enjoyment of the show.

I have no problem with people discussing future events that are properly spoiler tagged, or spoiler tagging an observation you notice on a second watch that hints at upcoming events, but make sure you properly indicate that's what it is. If you don't know if something is or isn't a spoiler and don't want to watch past a certain point to find out then perhaps you shouldn't post or post above and below the video that so people don't accidentally click.

dan2026

I find it funny that there are literally more filler episodes of Bleach than cannon ones.

So if you happen upon a random episode you are probably watching filler.

MikeMyers

Well, if the anime does return once the manga ends, I'm sure it wont suffer from an overindulgence of filler.

Bleach has about as many canon episodes as Sailor Moon has total episodes.

Could be worse, could've been someone who watched all of Naruto filler.
Or One Piece

Why you gotta take a cheap shot at Man God like that?

daveo42

Banned
Well, if the anime does return once the manga ends, I'm sure it wont suffer from an overindulgence of filler.

Bleach has about as many canon episodes as Sailor Moon has total episodes.

Why you gotta take a cheap shot at Man God like that?

They'll just have to pad all the fights out with filler so it lasts at least one full season.

MikeMyers

I haven't followed the manga, but I think there has been around 100 chapters worth of material since the Fullbring Arc. I'm sure a season can be made from that without padding.

daveo42

Banned
One half joke, the other half truth. I think for Bleach to be a properly paced anime, you need a 5-6:1 outside of a few chapters covering primary plot or backstory. Especially during this current manga arc. It just shows how poorly paced out his manga is and how he relies way too much on flashy fights to drive the story forward.

MikeMyers

So the Hueco Mundo/Fake Katakura Town arc, which sounds about right.

If it needs about fifty chapters more, that's about a year (and then there are breaks), also it'd take some time to make an anime adaptation. Guess Bleach's return wont be for a while.

daveo42

Banned
There has been 103 issues so far in the final arc (480-582), meaning we'd need another 53 issues to hit 6:1. The remainder of the series was at 2.4:1 (based on 200 canon episodes), though some of the earlier arcs were paced out a heck of a whole lot better.

All of this means that I should stop making jokes because my jokes are bad and I should feel bad.

Bleach is still poorly paced.

Bleach really was a terrible series.

I think the straw hats said it best

Luffy_Usopp_Haters_Gonna_Hate_06.gif

I've seen the knockoff GCN controllers at Five Below for years- always wondered how good they were.

$T2eC16dHJHoE9n3KgJIKBRbzZWHDvQ~~60_35.JPG

i've had one like this. don't know if it was at Five Below, but it definitely felt off to me. D-pad was garbage (well, more garbage) and the C-stick was stiff and the buttons were too clicky.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Third party controllers are generally garbage unless they're fight sticks
Pretty much one of the main rules of gaming: 99% of the time, get 1st party controllers.

& just got back from going for a walk & spending $3 on a clear green N64 and controller...& then 0.25 each on Namco Museum & 007: The World is Not Enough (friend might like it).

LOLDSFAN

Mmmm personally I kind of wish they would let the GCN controller finally die a peaceful death. Now every time a new console is released people will be clamoring for it.

Then again many people live and die by that controller so I guess I shouldn't complain.

GCN controller was awesome for the time, although I wish the c-stick was just another grey analog one and that the dpad was larger.

EDIT: another z trigger would have been nice as well

Crocodile

I cannot recall a single One Piece spoiler being posted untagged in this thread. The last time I remember it being an issue was when I reviewed Water 7 last summer, posted a long ass recap that was properly tagged but had a gif of
Robin crying
(without any context) that a few people flipped out over. Bleach is the toonami gaf whipping boy, I don't see how you could even try to make the argument that people spoil/agressively hint future One Piece plot developments at an equal rate with Bleach. That's simply not true and if it did happen, half the thread would be up in arms.

But yes, I totally agree with your last point. There are times when someone post a spoiler that I wouldn't have noticed if another user didn't complain about it. Not sure how to remedy that problem, both sides are kind of in the wrong there.

The difference between Bleach and One Piece is that, frankly, Bleach doesn't really have much in the way of material to actually spoil. Since the Soul Society arc, the only things that have happened are fight, fight, fight, Ichigo get a power up, fight, fight, Ichigo get a power up, Aizen get a power up, Ichigo gets a power up, Aizen gets a power up, Ichigo gets a power up, end. In terms of actual plot, the only "twist" was Ichigo's dad and the Gin betrayal (the later of which was not properly foreshadowed, handled super haphazardly and nonsensically and probably written after the fact). With Bleach what you see is what you get and just from experience and familiarity with common fictional tropes and narrative devices you can strongly follow and predict the plot.

This isn't to say that one should just talk about future Bleach events all willy-nilly and not respect those who haven't seen the show before. I don't think just someone straight out spelling out every plot point of this upcoming arc would be cool. Saying Ginjiko is a villain or whatever however doesn't strike me as a spoiler. The show is doing everything in its power to say "yo this is the bad guy" and nothing about what Bleach has done so far has given me any reason to doubt this interpretation. Kubo isn't clever nor is this show particularly adept at misdirection outside the Aizen ordeal in SS. There's no reason to not take the show at face value. People going on about "Facebook" this and that is probably kind of spoilerish and should probably stop but without any context and as someone who doesn't really know what happens this upcoming arc (other than Ichigo gets his powers back and the good guys win) I honestly don't even know what they mean by that.

Mmmm personally I kind of wish they would let the GCN controller finally die a peaceful death. Now every time a new console is released people will be clamoring for it.

Then again many people live and die by that controller so I guess I shouldn't complain.

They might as well call it the official smash bros controller cause that's basically what it is

Takashi

What's a reliable place I can find good (preferably new) 1st party gamecube controllers aside from ebay? Only one I had left messed up a while back and I haven't even hooked up my wii since.

What's a reliable place I can find good (preferably new) 1st party gamecube controllers aside from ebay? Only one I had left messed up a while back and I haven't even hooked up my wii since.

Amazon has them in the $30-$60 price range depending on if you want one that is new or used. Check your local mom and pop video game stores as well, they can be found for under $15 in some places.

daveo42

Banned

I can check the local arcade here in town to see if they have any controllers in and how much they cost. My guess is probably yes since they have a lot of older games and consoles and whatnot and shouldn't be all that expensive.

Edit: I still have my original gamecube controller and a Wavebird sitting in a box that I need to pull out and check. I'd never buy 3rd party. Had a cheap controller and memory card fry the control board on my original Playstation.

and this is why i bought the shitty off-brand one

That particular one has skyrocketed in recent months, but I remember it being recommended in the GC collecting thread.

I'm happy I still have a Wavebird and the original corded controller in good condition.

I have a platinum wavebird, the original wavebird, and a black gc controller in perfect condition, and a blue gc controller where c stick left and right don't work but everything else is fine.

Takashi

Thanks for the replies guys. Unfortunately, the only stores nearby that sell anything older/used are some GameStops, and they didn't have any last time I checked. I'll probably have to go to amazon as a last resort (definitely not $60 though) if there aren't any other less expensive options.

The difference between Bleach and One Piece is that, frankly, Bleach doesn't really have much in the way of material to actually spoil. Since the Soul Society arc, the only things that have happened are fight, fight, fight, Ichigo get a power up, fight, fight, Ichigo get a power up, Aizen get a power up, Ichigo gets a power up, Aizen gets a power up, Ichigo gets a power up, end. In terms of actual plot, the only "twist" was Ichigo's dad and the Gin betrayal (the later of which was not properly foreshadowed, handled super haphazardly and nonsensically and probably written after the fact). With Bleach what you see is what you get and just from experience and familiarity with common fictional tropes and narrative devices you can strongly follow and predict the plot.

This isn't to say that one should just talk about future Bleach events all willy-nilly and not respect those who haven't seen the show before. I don't think just someone straight out spelling out every plot point of this upcoming arc would be cool. Saying Ginjiko is a villain or whatever however doesn't strike me as a spoiler. The show is doing everything in its power to say "yo this is the bad guy" and nothing about what Bleach has done so far has given me any reason to doubt this interpretation. Kubo isn't clever nor is this show particularly adept at misdirection outside the Aizen ordeal in SS. There's no reason to not take the show at face value. People going on about "Facebook" this and that is probably kind of spoilerish and should probably stop but without any context and as someone who doesn't really know what happens this upcoming arc (other than Ichigo gets his powers back and the good guys win) I honestly don't even know what they mean by that.

I think you're painting with a very broad brush here and don't agree in the slightest; there are a ton of things that could' have been spoiled in Bleach, especially when you take into account that everyone here has a different opinion of what constitutes as an actual spoiler. This is like me saying 'Well all they do in One Piece up until Water 7 is travel to new islands, fight, and get a new crew member, there's nothing to spoil.' Obviously One Piece is more nuanced than that and so is Bleach (although the overall narrative is clearly weaker), I feel like you're oversimplifying things. I mean heck, here's some things I can think of right off the top of my head:

-Nel turns out to be an espada
- Ulquiorra reveals that he is only the 4th Espada, despite his strength
- The real Karakura town ends up being transported to Soul Society, a replica is built for the final battle against Aizen to prevent unnecessary human casualties
- The Visord are old captains/lieutenants from soul society who were banished after Aizen turned them into hollows

I already explained my stance on inconsiderate people calling out
ginjo
as the main villain this arc the moment he appeared on screen so I won't reiterate that point. Everything else I agree with though.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Still got 2 official GCN controllers in rather good condition. Still have one from when Brawl was coming out & I asked a friend if I could have one of his spares since he didn't use his GCN as much.

LOLDSFAN

what the hell is up with this McDonald's application? these questions at the end are basically forcing me to pick between two really shitty answers

Don't worry I'm sure you'll get hired no matter what you choose.

Why McDonald's btw? Last choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom