• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun14| Lu Lu Lala Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

Aniplex's pricing is outrageous but I would never compare Anime pricing to HBO or other American TV show pricing. There are too many variables (or lack there of) that go into the influencing the pricing of Anime that isn't relevant for HBO or other American shows sold in the US. For example ad revenue helps offset the cost of releasing American TV shows and American studios don't have to pay licensing fees to themselves. Also, considering even mediocre TV shows will likely outsell the best anime just due to exposure, economics of scale/supply & demand/etc. let them get away with cheaper prices.

HBO shows have zero ad revenue

There's a few Bleach fans here, but I think you get the "one man defender" title in the sense you are the most outspoken.
Yeah, that last post had a bit of hyperbole in it haha! I'm definitely the most outspoken fan, willing to argue to the death for Kubo, but it was pretty much just Bass, Tamanon, you, and I posting positive reactions up until Fullbring started. Now we've got a few other regulars on the BleachGAF hype train.

MikeMyers

I'd defend Bleach if it wasn't for the filler...and the terrible canon arcs. It gets made points on style and having a pretty rad early arc before Kubo kubo'd the series.

Which one is the awful one? I've only see the leafy one with the non-existent girl.

I would assume it is the second one he is referring to: The DiamondDust Rebellion

Diamond Dust Rebellion is trash. Memories of Nobody is good if you like classic Bleach. Hell Verse and Fade to Black are worth watching in my opinion but polarizing in general.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Shiva's summon name rebellion is of course the one I'm talking about.

Awful movie. I feared TOONAMI was going to show it again last December.

HBO shows have zero ad revenue

True, they make the majority of their revenue through paid subscriptions and fees they charge cable/satellite operators to carry their channel.

What I don't get is that [AS] can air stuff like Metalocalypse and Superjail but KLK apparently is gonna be tough to get on the air.

The problem is more with the nudity/sexualization than excessive violence. It's weird how you can curse and kill on cable TV but showing some skin is taboo.

I wonder if HBO can survive going forward as a premium television channel. They've already modified their business strategy through HBO GO, but won't give access to non-tv subscribers. Netflix has to be eating into their revenue, at what point do they throw up their hands and say 'F it, lets focus on reaching the widest possible audience' via streaming?

I wonder if HBO can survive going forward as a premium television channel. They've already modified their business strategy through HBO GO, but won't give access to non-tv subscribers. Netflix has to be eating into their revenue, at what point do they throw up their hands and say 'F it, lets focus on reaching the widest possible audience' via streaming?

HBO receives far more profit from being a sub-based channel than they would from subscriptions. According to Time Warner HBO makes about 4 times as much profit than Netflix does, granted they do have slower growth than they do. I think they'll continue to keep subsciptions and just do deals to lend their shows, like what they're doing now with Netflix, while keeping the good stuff (namely Game of Thrones) to themselves.

Gorillaz

HBO, surprisingly in the illegal download era, is still doing very well. Then again they were the first real premium channel back then and has been leading the way in terms of shows since The Soprano's and The Wire. No ads and newer movies being on TV quick? hell yea.

Surprised there hasn't been an anime channel to pull that off, but I assume it would take a heavy backer to have confidence in doing that. Maybe one day CN will make another channel ala Boomerang. If they see the money in it, of course.

why is everyone hitting on Dana?

Who wouldn't, though?
KPQOalX.png

ckohler

English trailer for Kill La Kill for those who missed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLhE2EhuoZ8&feature=youtu.be

Just saw the trailer (which, by the way, is a terribly edited, confusing video).

Maybe these voices will grow on me but they sound kinda like they were phoning it in a bit. Could use more energy.

Breakdown wise:

Ryoko: I actually like her voice. She sounds like a tomboy which is accurate.
Senketsu: Not deep enough. Just sounds like some young dude when he should sound a bit older, IMO. Although, that was a bad example because he never really yells that much. His reserved voice might work better.
Satsuki: Her yelling voice sounds forced. Her normal voice is fine.
Mako: Sounds alright. I need to hear her more zany moments, though.
Gamagori: Pretty good. Should have been a deeper voice, though. That dude is huge.
Sanageyama: Sounds good. Basic smug guy voice.
Inumuta: Very good. Analytical sounding.
Nonon: Sounds good. Not the voice I was expecting but it has that same grating cuteness.
Aikuro: Sounds good. No complaints.

It'll be interesting to hear more of the cast as they are introduced. Nui shouldn't be too hard to find a good voice for.

Does Aniplex often condense their series after the volume releases into a s1/s2 or the complete series box set? Want to own KLK not sure if its better to wait or what

HBO receives far more profit from being a sub-based channel than they would from subscriptions. According to Time Warner HBO makes about 4 times as much profit than Netflix does, granted they do have slower growth than they do. I think they'll continue to keep subsciptions and just do deals to lend their shows, like what they're doing now with Netflix, while keeping the good stuff (namely Game of Thrones) to themselves.

HBO doesn't make 4x the amount of Netflix. I'm not sure if those numbers are accurate, I can't read the article without creating an account. Everything I've found has them neck and neck in terms of revenue, both services pull in around 4 billion dollars per year but Netflix is growing quicker.

Edit: Here's a link, your information is inaccurate: http://www.forbes.com/sites/avaseave/2014/02/10/netflix-versus-hbo-together-forever/

HBO spends 1/4th of their earnings on original programming, I'm not sure if that's a model for continued success. Netflix is only dropping around 200 million per year on original content according to the article. Couple that with rapid growth, a lower sub fee, more varied content, and more ways to watch...I think HBO is going to have to make some big changes going forward to compete.

bigkrev

HBO doesn't make 4x the amount of Netflix. I'm not sure if those numbers are accurate, I can't read the article without creating an account. Everything I've found has them neck and neck in terms of revenue, both services pull in around 4 billion dollars per year but Netflix is growing quicker.

Edit: Here's a link, your information is inaccurate: http://www.forbes.com/sites/avaseave/2014/02/10/netflix-versus-hbo-together-forever/

HBO spends 1/4th of their earnings on original programming, I'm not sure if that's a model for continued success. Netflix is only dropping around 200 million per year on original content according to the article. Couple that with rapid growth, a lower sub fee, more varied content, and more ways to watch...I think HBO is going to have to make some big changes going forward to compete.

The difference is that HBO is already starting with close to 4 times the number of subscribers WW than Netflix has. HBO spends more on it's programming because that is what sells people on the network- I'm sure that the percentage of people who subscribe to Netflix to watch Breaking Bad and kids shows is higher than the percentage of people who subscribe to watch Orange is the New Black, and for HBO, more people sub to watch GoT and Veep than sub to watch movies.

Also, its the net income that's important- HBO had a NET of 1.8 Billion, while Netflix had a NET of 228 Million- HBO was almost 10 times as profitable as Netflix http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303496804579364441588141618

The point I was trying to make was that HBO puts a massive premium on it's content- you can't buy it digitally or on Disc until the next season is about to start (about 10 months after it first airs), until a few weeks ago, you could not stream even it's catalog content on third party services (and even with the Amazon deal, stuff like GoT was left out), and, for a long time, their DVDs were super expensive (I remember buying 100 dollar box sets of The Sopranos). And even then, they have relented- MSRP for new Blu-ray sets (normally with Digital copies included) are 80 dollars, they have allowed some content on to other services, and more. The fact that Aniplex is trying the HBO model with Anime in 2014 is laughable at best.

And to people who say that HBO Go should be offered like Netflix- you are looking at it the wrong way. If it were offered stand-alone, the pricing model it's going to follow isn't Netflix (9 bucks a month), but NFL Sunday Ticket (~200 dollars for 4 months). They need to lock people into long term commitments, because that is what allows them to spend money on quality shows. I'm guessing 150-200 dollars for 6 months is what they would look for if they offered the service stand-alone.

I can't read that article, you need to log in and I don't want to make an account. I'll take your word for it though as far as net income goes, I still think HBO is going to make some radical changes in the future. HBO GO seems like it's testing the waters of streaming digital content, they're rapidly losing marketshare to Netflix even though it'll be a while until it overtakes them. I don't think a premium subscription channel is going to be able to rely on original programming to carry them going into the future, the way we consume media is evolving. This is a pretty interesting topic though, would love to hear more on your views, Krev.

Here's something fun:

Teens React to Attack on Titan

The first part is them watching trailers, and then there's a question time, but I think after that they continue to watch clips so POSSIBLE SPOILERS past that point.

If someone who has watched the series can check that, it would be helpful, because I stopped watching before the questions.

EDIT: Apparently, yes, there are spoilers. So watch past the trailer reactions at your own risk.

Jintor

Teens know too much about things to be amusing in 'react' videos. Kids React or Elders React are the best because they don't know things or they know things but only a distorted shadow of truth.

Elders react to Eminem or Kids React to FreddieW are top tier.

bigkrev

I can't read that article, you need to log in and I don't want to make an account. I'll take your word for it though as far as net income goes, I still think HBO is going to make some radical changes in the future. HBO GO seems like it's testing the waters of streaming digital content, they're rapidly losing marketshare to Netflix even though it'll be a while until it overtakes them. I don't think a premium subscription channel is going to be able to rely on original programming to carry them going into the future, the way we consume media is evolving. This is a pretty interesting topic though, would love to hear more on your views, Krev.

The thing is, HBO Go wasn't created to "test the waters" with digital content- It was created to provide value and prevent people from canceling HBO when their favorite shows were on season break! They also aren't loosing marketshare to Netflix- they are still adding subscribers- note that while it's growth is slower than Netflix, it is still growing. Netflix is more like the Nintendo Wii- instead of stealing the market from it's competitors, it created a new market entirely.

Most people really have no idea how the Cable industry works. Most people who say "why do I have to pay for 400 channels I don't want to get the 10 or so that I do want" don't realize how much individual channels would cost. For example, lets assume there are 103 million cable homes in America (older number). For each one of those, MTV gets 39 cents. That means MTV makes 40.1 Million dollars a year from cable revenue. How many subscribers would you need to make this work? The most watched broadcast in the channels history was 8.4 million for Jersey Shore's season 3 debut. You would need to be charging at least $5 dollars a month for just MTV (more than 10 times what they charge), and probably closer to double that to make up for the loss of guaranteed revenue. Meanwhile, ESPN charges 5.13 a month for it's package- which, when you factor in it's highest rated program each year, the BCS title game (which no longer exists) does 25 million viewers- ESPN is underpriced to cable companies. If we took the 10x price of MTV to ESPN- it would probably cost 50 dollars a month to get ESPN a la carte.

Here's something fun:

Considering I can see a MASSIVE SPOILER in the thumb nail DO NOT POST THIS HERE for crying out loud this is getting ridiculous. Most people here haven't seen the series STOP POSTING VIDEOS AND PICTURES THAT SPOIL EVENTS THAT HAVEN'T AIRED ON TOONAMI

And this isn't just for Attack on Titan but for any show on the block, its just getting ridiculous how every week someone feels the need to post a "funny" AoT clip that contains spoilers

Raxus

As I said before it is difficult to post anything or do anything with AoT since it is just SO spoiler heavy and it makes it hard to discuss. I think the best rule of thumb is for people who have seen the show to look at the thumb nails and watch the entire video before posting in order to avoid a newbie getting spoiled.

daveo42

Banned
Is it just me or are people who have already seen the show more worried about spoilers than first time viewers

I think it's because we know the context of the clips and images. Without context, some things deemed spoilers can be benign. I'd just say we cut out anything that is related to future events if possible just to avoid possibly spoiling it for someone new the to series.

bigkrev

Is it just me or are people who have already seen the show more worried about spoilers than first time viewers

Someone asked how the Air Gear helps them fight Titans, I mentioned that it shows it in the intro, and 3 separate people freaked out and PM'd me about it. I then told them what I thought and they said "Oh, that's not really a spoiler, NVM"

It's kind of crazy/

I'm pretty lax on what constitutes as a 'spoiler' and feel like the effort to make sure first time watchers aren't seeing things they shouldn't goes a bit over the top at times, but has good intentions behind it. Now, we have had one legit spoiler posted in here (it wasn't mightynine's thumbnail and I didn't watch the video) but for the most part, I have no idea what's happening without context.

Tamanon

Banned
I don't give a fuck about spoilers personally, but I make sure to go out of my way to avoid spoiling a show/manga for someone else. Too many people in this thread love to spoil/tease. I've never seen the point.

"Oooh, you're going to love what happens 7 episodes from now!"
"Oh that guy certainly won't turn out to be evil!"

I don't give a fuck about spoilers personally, but I make sure to go out of my way to avoid spoiling a show/manga for someone else. Too many people in this thread love to spoil/tease. I've never seen the point.

Bleach spoilers below

Yeah, it's annoying when certain people that I know have seen the Fullbring arc post 'Oh that guy certainly won't turn out to be evil!' whenever Ginjo shows up but then whine if anything remotely spoilery gets said about One Piece, Titan, KLK, etc. It's a double standard that makes no sense to me. I mean, at one point during the Fake Karakura Town arc we had a thread regular straight up telling people Aizen was going to transform into a butterfly thing before it happened.

Teens know too much about things to be amusing in 'react' videos. Kids React or Elders React are the best because they don't know things or they know things but only a distorted shadow of truth.

Elders react to Eminem or Kids React to FreddieW are top tier.

Showing kids AoT would have been....amusing...and traumatizing.

Tamanon

Banned
Bleach spoilers below

Yeah, it's annoying when certain people that I know have seen the Fullbring arc post 'Oh that guy certainly won't turn out to be evil!' whenever Ginjo shows up but then whine if anything remotely spoilery gets said about One Piece, Titan, KLK, etc. It's a double standard that makes no sense to me. I mean, at one point during the Fake Karakura Town arc we had a thread regular straight up telling people Aizen was going to transform into a butterfly thing before it happened.

Hell, we've already had a pretty big spoiler just thrown around here for one of the characters in the arc.
Calling him Facebook all the time

Seda

Oftentimes spoilers need context to have much meaning. I've seen One Piece images that are probably 'spoilers' but I don't consider myself 'spoiled'. It's more like "I wonder what the heck THAT is all about".

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There is a fine line between spoilers and predicting an obvious bad guy looking dude to be a bad guy. There's no predicting that Aizen becomes a butterfly dude, at least no one sane would be predicting that.

Takashi

lol ^

Yeah I don't get it either. Any sense of surprise is removed, while at the same time building hype to the point that it might not meet some viewers' expectations.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
To be fair on the "won't turn out evil" point, it's very common in fiction for a character with dark intentions to end up the villain. it's done everywhere, and it's possible to predict it in Attack on Titan.

I'm just saying.

There is a fine line between spoilers and predicting an obvious bad guy looking dude to be a bad guy. There's no predicting that Aizen becomes a butterfly dude, at least no one sane would be predicting that.

That line of reasoning is flawed, there are people who have admitted to seeing the fullbring arc posting things that would be deemed a spoiler for any other show. First of all, someone who appears to be
an 'obvious bad guy'
to you might not be seen in that same light by another person so
spoiling that
is kind of a dick move. Secondly, there was a thread regular spoiling the Aizen
butterfly transformation
well before it happened (I'm not going to call them out, but I'm sure people can guess who it was). I don't even know if you were live posting around that time; I had to PM Seda about it to get the dude to knock off the hinting.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There's plenty of people watching Bleach that haven't read or watched ahead and pointing out obvious looking bad guy is obvious is a reaction for them, not a spoiler.

I know absolutely nothing of what happened in this arc. I read the first chapter or two after Aizen bit it and then gave up out of boredom.

People are spoiling things that come up though and some of them could be pretty annoying
Quincy space nazi army, hooooo.
but luckily the show won't get there before it is canceled.

There's plenty of people watching Bleach that haven't read or watched ahead and pointing out obvious looking bad guy is obvious is a reaction for them, not a spoiler.

I know absolutely nothing of what happened in this arc. I read the first chapter or two after Aizen bit it and then gave up out of boredom.

People are spoiling things that come up though and some of them could be pretty annoying
Quincy space nazi army, hooooo.
but luckily the show won't get there before it is canceled.

Dude, I just told you there are people who have admitted to seeing the fullbring arc spoiling things. The first moment
Ginjo arrived on screen
we had a couple of these posters saying
'Oh yeah, this guy definitely won't turn out to be evil or anything'
which was annoying. The fact of the matter is that not everyone views someone
you see as obviously evil
in the same light, so if you've seen the arc already the curteous thing to do is shut up about it because that
just validates the first timers prediction
and ruins the suspense. It would be like me saying (Attack on Titan spoilers follow)
'Oh, Annie looks evil, she definitely won't turn out to be an antagonist!'
, instead of posting that I've just shut up about it because posting something along those lines is rude. This is what I'm talking about when I say there's a double standard. It's alright to spoil Bleach because that's the cool thing to hate on but nobody better say a word about One Piece/Titan/KLK or there will be BLOOD.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
people have been annoyingly spoiling One Piece for months now in basically the same or worse fashion. It usually gets ignored because most people don't care.

Sometimes the largest harm in someone posting unmarked minor spoilers is when someone draws attention to them.

I cannot recall a single One Piece spoiler being posted untagged in this thread. The last time I remember it being an issue was when I reviewed Water 7 last summer, posted a long ass recap that was properly tagged but had a gif of
Robin crying
(without any context) that a few people flipped out over. Bleach is the toonami gaf whipping boy, I don't see how you could even try to make the argument that people spoil/agressively hint future One Piece plot developments at an equal rate with Bleach. That's simply not true and if it did happen, half the thread would be up in arms.

But yes, I totally agree with your last point. There are times when someone post a spoiler that I wouldn't have noticed if another user didn't complain about it. Not sure how to remedy that problem, both sides are kind of in the wrong there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom