• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun14| Lu Lu Lala Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.
iWtkBARlwZabo.gif
Somebody bout to get their ass kicked?

bigkrev

Black Lagoon is totally a product of the 90's and Tarantino movies, it goes against the grain of modern anime to an insane degree. Modern anime is often closer to Blue Exorcist, flashy fights with some moe characters sprinkled in for good measure. Even Attack on Titan follows this basic formula, with a spoonful of giant zombies for flavor.

You'd think this would mean it would be viewed as a breath of fresh air and would be popular, but the current fanbase has been brought up to expect certain things from their anime and Black Lagoon has none of those things. Instead of a strong male MC that they can project themselves onto, they get Rock. Sure he's totally badass, but he's also an adult who has been disillusioned with the world. Often anime is wish fulfillment, an idealized world with characters who can achieve anything if they work hard enough. Black Lagoon is none of those things. Rock's a victim of a fucked up world, he has agency in his daily life but he can really do nothing to change the overall course of it. He's stuck where he is, in a garbage bin, tossed aside by the rest of the world and labelled as useless.

Then there's Revvy, who is totally awesome as shit and easily the toughest of the main characters. While we might appreciate this, the average viewer won't for exactly the same reason almost all of the player characters in video games are male. They're guys and they can't--or rather won't--relate to her at all. They're used to girls in shows being cute, useless and meek. The sort of girls they could see themselves approaching. If you tried to hit on Revvy she'd shoot your dick off.

So while being on late at night is part of the reason, perhaps a larger portion is the average viewer dislikes it for all the reasons we enjoy it. Which both makes no sense and perfect sense.

It wouldn't shock me at all if you told me that Black Lagoon's viewership skews older than the rest of the block.

Add something about "boys kissing", and you just wrote the psyc profile of DTL :p

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This actually makes a lot of sense, Samurai Jack will probably do a lot better as a lead in to CN with Clone Wars. Bebop returns to the death slot to rerun...... forever. Black Lagoon has struggled on the block and Beware the Batman has done very well better to switch them in hopes of not losing more people after Blue Exorcist.
Jack to put me to sleep at the end of the block? Amazing news.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Black Lagoon is totally a product of the 90's and Tarantino movies, it goes against the grain of modern anime to an insane degree. Modern anime is often closer to Blue Exorcist, flashy fights with some moe characters sprinkled in for good measure. Even Attack on Titan follows this basic formula, with a spoonful of giant zombies for flavor.

You'd think this would mean it would be viewed as a breath of fresh air and would be popular, but the current fanbase has been brought up to expect certain things from their anime and Black Lagoon has none of those things. Instead of a strong male MC that they can project themselves onto, they get Rock. Sure he's totally badass, but he's also an adult who has been disillusioned with the world. Often anime is wish fulfillment, an idealized world with characters who can achieve anything if they work hard enough. Black Lagoon is none of those things. Rock's a victim of a fucked up world, he has agency in his daily life but he can really do nothing to change the overall course of it. He's stuck where he is, in a garbage bin, tossed aside by the rest of the world and labelled as useless.

Then there's Revvy, who is totally awesome as shit and easily the toughest of the main characters. While we might appreciate this, the average viewer won't for exactly the same reason almost all of the player characters in video games are male. They're guys and they can't--or rather won't--relate to her at all. They're used to girls in shows being cute, useless and meek. The sort of girls they could see themselves approaching. If you tried to hit on Revvy she'd shoot your dick off.

So while being on late at night is part of the reason, perhaps a larger portion is the average viewer dislikes it for all the reasons we enjoy it. Which both makes no sense and perfect sense.

It wouldn't shock me at all if you told me that Black Lagoon's viewership skews older than the rest of the block.

That is a rather good overview of why Black Lagoon struggles but I would also say the wall was hit HARD with this twins arc. Not just the twins themselves being creepy as fuck and disturbing, but the whole tone of the arc has shifted to psychological horror, which isn't really what we signed up for.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Just got to the part early in Bleach where suddenly everybody has powers out of nowhere

::sigh:: okay sure, whatever. Tinkerbell and friends can stay. Why not? Everything else is clearly being made up as the show goes along.

It was kind of funny seeing Nanako suddenly show up with a rocket launcher.

Glad to see you are taking the news well.

i3Tz45Zwl3EXk.gif

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That is a rather good overview of why Black Lagoon struggles but I would also say the wall was hit HARD with this twins arc. Not just the twins themselves being creepy as fuck and disturbing, but the whole tone of the arc has shifted to psychological horror, which isn't really what we signed up for.

I don't particularly mind a tonal switch to keep things from getting monotonous, often times it's a nice reprieve. I think the problem you're having is unlike with when US TV shows do this, it's a single episode and not an entire arc. It's still very much a Black Lagoon arc, it's going to hit a lot of the sort of points we're all used to seeing soon. Viewed in it's entirety I don't think the arc isn't as big a departure as people think it is. I don't really want to say anything more than that because of spoilers.

Everyone has a keikaku.

I know Naruto and Sasuke's keikaku. *unclephil*

Kishi has been hanging out with Kubo too much.

Soulflarz

Banned
Wait BL got moved back?

F THIS.
I own it on Blu Ray. I might just record it and watch it way ahead cause screw that. BtB leaves me half asleep...

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The bright side to the possible schedule change? Blue Exorcist will be almost over when it happens. Meaning we'll get a new show following One Piece.

Gorillaz

I don't particularly mind a tonal switch to keep things from getting monotonous, often times it's a nice reprieve. I think the problem you're having is unlike with when US TV shows do this, it's a single episode and not an entire arc. It's still very much a Black Lagoon arc, it's going to hit a lot of the sort of points we're all used to seeing soon. Viewed in it's entirety I don't think the arc isn't as big a departure as people think it is. I don't really want to say anything more than that because of spoilers.
Pretty much agreed with everything you said last post and this. Don't want to go to far, but yea the arc isn't as removed from the series as people think.

I think it's interesting tho how people view Lagoon, and being removed from the genre for years I'm using it as a measuring rod for where the general fan is nowadays. Maybe it is more of a thing that anime fans would rather see the more heavy action, Jesus like character, everyone adores him because he is the chosen one type of thing. For the most part Lagoon is still an escapist type of anime, I mean a japan business man abducted by a team of neo pirates living in the murder capital of the 90's? How is that shit not appealing? I find that a little more interesting then the same shit that we see in alot of shows nowadays.For some you can say maybe it isn't escapist enough? The show still has a sense of grounded rules, and the main character Rock, isn't exactly breaking or bending it, but just existing in it. Which might be the reason some don't exactly cling on to it. He's just a normal dude that is literally out of his element and KNOWS he can't compete with those in that world. Yet he lives vicariously through it. The writing is good, characters are decent, and for the most part the show pays homage to Tarrantino and Cowboy Bebop so it's not exactly using any foreign concepts.The whole viewpoint of what is popular in anime and what isn't is interesting to me from someone who had to do a little sociology back in undergrad.

I think also that it doesn't play into a "male power fantasy" or "damsel in distress" trope turns off certain people. Except the Anime old heads funny enough.BL comes off as a show that works best for those fresh to the genre or burned out on shonen. Same for Dandy, except Dandy is a show that feels like it's best enjoyed when you been around the block in terms of anime. BL comes off that as well.

I"m actually interested in what is the common fave "style" in anime right now? Is it the whole "little sister big brother" thing? Or something more? I mean we all know Bleach is king tho.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I dunno, man. I'm probably going to give up on Bleach myself if it doesn't grab me by... let's say episode 20.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*Does math* So Black Lagoon would be on episode 19 if that shift to 3 AM is true, meaning only 6 episodes would be airing during that time slot. Still seems strange to move it when it'd be about 3/4th done.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
*Does math* So Black Lagoon would be on episode 19 if that shift to 3 AM is true, meaning only 6 episodes would be airing during that time slot. Still seems strange to move it when it'd be about 3/4th done.

I guess it started fairly okay before it dropped like it did.

I remember when they started GXP. It aired after Bleach, and caused the ratings to plummet immensely. After 5 episodes it was moved from 12:30 (11:30 my time) to 3:00 (2:00 my time).

The bright side to the possible schedule change? Blue Exorcist will be almost over when it happens. Meaning we'll get a new show following One Piece.

i'd imagine the reason for the change would be that Space Dandy is going at 3am once it ends; i guess the question then becomes what they're playing until it does. FLCL, maybe?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I guess it started fairly okay before it dropped like it did.

I remember when they started GXP. It aired after Bleach, and caused the ratings to plummet immensely. After 5 episodes it was moved from 12:30 (11:30 my time) to 3:00 (2:00 my time).
Well 5 episodes in, I can understand. 19 out of 24 episodes in seems kind of late. But oh well, it's not a huge shift, I guess. Perhaps we'll hear about its replacement by then when the rescheduling happens.

Bleach shifts from Karakura town and friends to Soul Society at episode 21, not 30. After that it's the same arc over and over with minor tweaks until you get to fullbring.

Gorillaz

You're watching GXP? What episode are you on? I've been thinking of starting it, I think the full series is on netflix..

are we talking about that racing show/IGXP that was on Toonami just recently? tbh breh, I only caught that last episode because I was trying to make it through the toonami run with yall. I don't know about the whole series :/

Fuck it, I'm starting GXP. This opening theme is god tier, so 90s.

are we talking about that racing show/IGXP that was on Toonami just recently? tbh breh, I only caught that last episode because I was trying to make it through the toonami run with yall. I don't know about the whole series :/

I'm talking about Tenchi Muyo, it was on in 2012

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Fuck it, I'm starting GXP. This opening theme is god tier, so 90s.

You know you bring me sadness, midnight (midnight sun)
You ought to give me your love, midnight

With no warning while I ate an apple today
I realized I'm not a child
And that's the way it stays
I'm looking for a dreary love that's wandered far away
I close my eyes and try to live for today

I really think I love you
Oh, but the red moon is watching my every move
I reach out my hand to touch your soft face
You're so close

You only bring me sadness, midnight (love me, save me)
You ought to give me your love, midnight (hold me, love me)
I can see deep within your puzzled eyes
My passion's not alone
The sun comes out at midnight
Will you love me, midnight?
Boom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom