• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun14| Lu Lu Lala Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorillaz

I saw one episode of Kill La Kill and haven't gone back.

I guess it was okay, but I don't know that I really like that kind of comedy.

KLK is a very hard sell imo. Because even if it parades around as a "parody" I think they almost fall back too much on it. The comedy part wears thin when the story gets more serious and brings down the product altogether.

The homecoming stretch is pretty impressive but the problem is getting there in the first place. It floats too much and it's honestly easy to put down if you weren't invested in it that much. I had to almost force myself to finish just to see if the payoff was worth it.

So far I'd go (from what I've caught up on)

Black Lagoon
One Piece
Attack on Titan
Naruto Shippuden
Bleach
Blue Exorcist

Skipped Space Dandy as it's a repeat and while I do want to rewatch it I'll check it out later after catching up on everything. Honestly the only show so far that I didn't enjoy was Blue Exorcist everything else was pretty solid.

Time for Beware the Batman....

Think I'll watch that tomorrow, I'm starting to feel tired and the last thing I want to do is fall asleep and have to rewatch Beware the Bat again

Seda

There's a tumblr Q&A next week. However, DeMarco isn't participating because he will be on his honeymoon. He answered a few questions on Twitter:

Here are the useful ones:

Q: Something about Black Lagoon moving to 3:00? I know it's been rumored (and possibly even leaked)
A: Not decided.

Q: Is KING STAR KING gonna make another Daylight Savings appearance?
A: Nope.

Q: Do you think we'll see a little more footage from #Intruder2 by the end of this year?
A: Watch and see!

Q: Has it been decided as to how the upcoming TIE [Total Immersion Event] would be aired?
A: Yes

Q: Any particular reason Black Lagoon gets the full OP/ED treatment? not complaining, just wondering.
A: Can't cut them w/o a high degree of cost to re-edit the masters. Otherwise, they'd be cut too.

Q: Can you give an exact date when bebop comes back?
A: Not yet. But soon.

Q: In the near future, One Piece will switch to 2+ minute OPs and no EDs. have you decided how they'll be handled?

Q: Dbz kai is more or less replacing Bleach and if so does that mean it wil be at 11:30 or is that still undecided?
A: Undecided

Q: do you have any ideas for black lagoon and blue exorcist replacements
A: Of course we do

Q: In the 2 times were asked to use the hashtag #Intruder2. How have we done in that department to make T.I.E. bigger?
A: Great!

Q: Any possibility of another month of movies?
A: Maybe!

Q: do you have any plans in the seeable future to maybe bring back Inuyasha?
A; Not currently but one never knows.

Q: Do you think we'll see a new TOM speech this summer or later this year?
A: Yes!

Q: can we just get the 11 hour I would love to see that happen
A: That's not something I can control

Q: how would you compare running toonami before and after the social media boom?
A: Before: less immediate feedback, more focus, more $$ more anxiety. After: feedback constantly, less $$ more annoyance.

Q: Toonami currently airs American and Japanese animation.Do u think at some point we might see other foreign animation on Toonami?
A: As soon as we get some good action shows sure.

Q: Will Space Dandy season 2 be getting episode promos like you did with season 1?
A: We call those "topicals" and yes.

Q: If Space Dandy will be getting those "topicals" again, will you keep making them for Attack on Titan as well?
A: Yep.

Q: Was it somewhat challenging getting aproval to air black Lagoon knowing its risky content?

Q: Since you guys were allowed to air Beware the Batman, does that open the door for more DC shows and/or movies down the road?
A: Open question

Q: Think it was already asked but are any arc based promos in the works for Bleach, Shippuden or One Piece?
A: Not at present.

Any questions about specific future shows --> "I can't talk about future or possible acquisitions."

LOLDSFAN

Q: Something about Black Lagoon moving to 3:00? I know it's been rumored (and possibly even leaked)
Well I know what I'll be telling the Tumblr page next QA: Don't bump BL to 3!!!

Q: Is KING STAR KING gonna make another Daylight Savings appearance?
Good.

Q: Any particular reason Black Lagoon gets the full OP/ED treatment? not complaining, just wondering.
A: Can't cut them w/o a high degree of cost to re-edit the masters. Otherwise, they'd be cut too.
Really? Wow. It's really the only one worth watching, surprised cost is the only reason we're getting it.

There's a tumblr Q&A next week. However, DeMarco isn't participating because he will be on his honeymoon. He answered a few questions on Twitter:

Here are the useful ones:

Q: Can you give an exact date when bebop comes back?
A: Not yet. But soon.

Q: In the near future, One Piece will switch to 2+ minute OPs and no EDs. have you decided how they'll be handled?

I feel these are the most interesting questions, assuming DeMarco isn't lying about Bebop/Lagoon to 3PM then it leaves me to wonder what the heck is replacing SBT or if they're going to rerun it. After all we've all more or less assumed SBT would be replaced by Cowboy Bebop and with it less then a month away why not just confirm it instead of beating around the bush? Perhaps they're deciding if instead of having SD Bebop replacing SBT to just wait for HD Bebop and then just cut off SBT wherever it's at (or let it finish it's rerun)

Cool to know why Black Lagoon gets it's full OP/ED, can't complain about that :p

My guess is OP will probably just get a Toonami style opening, or a slightly longer cut for OP song.

I feel these are the most interesting questions, assuming DeMarco isn't lying about Bebop/Lagoon to 3PM then it leaves me to wonder what the heck is replacing SBT or if they're going to rerun it. After all we've all more or less assumed SBT would be replaced by Cowboy Bebop and with it less then a month away why not just confirm it instead of beating around the bush? Perhaps they're deciding if instead of having SD Bebop replacing SBT to just wait for HD Bebop and then just cut off SBT wherever it's at (or let it finish it's rerun)

i think Bebop coming is independent of what they plan to do with Black Lagoon

i think Bebop coming is independent of what they plan to do with Black Lagoon

They aren't just going to switch BtB and BL and keep the rest of the line up the same. If that move is in the cards it would probably be part of a larger line up shuffle with something like Bebop entering the block and Jack moving to the end of the night. Them adding Bebop is not why they'd switch the two shows, but they won't switch the shows until Bebop enters the line up (same with potentially moving Jack to 5:30).

They aren't just going to switch BtB and BL and keep the rest of the line up the same. If that move is in the cards it would probably be part of a larger line up shuffle with something like Bebop entering the block and Jack moving to the end of the night. Them adding Bebop is not why they'd switch the two shows, but they won't switch the shows until Bebop enters the line up (same with potentially moving Jack to 5:30).

and Black Lagoon moving or not really doesn't have any bearing on Bebop replacing Sym-Bionic Titan. it's probably going to happen no matter what they decide to do.

and Black Lagoon moving or not really doesn't have any bearing on Bebop replacing Sym-Bionic Titan. it's probably going to happen no matter what they decide to do.

The only other possibility would be them switching when Blue Exorcist ends on August 9th... and Black Lagoon will be ending 3 weeks later which just seems like a weird switch as I imagine whatever show they get to replace Black Lagoon would probably bump Batman back down the line up as it'd be a NEW show as opposed to a CN rescue. The only time the switch would make place is as part of a slight reshuffle with Bebop if the switch happens at all.

Nice little mini Q&A. Oh, and Inuyasha-GAF, I found the perfect drink for your next watch:

QgbZAjP.jpg

The only other possibility would be them switching when Blue Exorcist ends on August 9th... and Black Lagoon will be ending 3 weeks later which just seems like a weird switch as I imagine whatever show they get to replace Black Lagoon would probably bump Batman back down the line up as it'd be a NEW show as opposed to a CN rescue. The only time the switch would make place is as part of a slight reshuffle with Bebop if the switch happens at all.

you made it sound like if it's not switching then Bebop wouldn't replace Sym-Bionic Titan

you made it sound like if it's not switching then Bebop wouldn't replace Sym-Bionic Titan

Was trying to say correlation not causation but I guess I'm derping cause I'm tired -.- zzzz night everyone

Will check out SAB's stuff tomorrow been mostly skipping it until I finish the block

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
My guess is OP will probably just get a Toonami style opening, or a slightly longer cut for OP song.

Think of it this way:

Current One Piece OPs and EDs where Toonami is are 90 seconds in length. Since there's one of each per episode, that's 3 minutes of air time in an uncut episode. The edits for both are about 30 seconds long each, so that means about 2 minutes is cut from that 3 minutes for Toonami.

When One Piece switrches to the long OP and no ED, it's instead 2:30 of airtime tied up in the OP. However, the show is ALSO a full minute shorter than it used to be since the switch (gotta get that advertising moneyz!).

So for One Piece episodes to run at more or less exactly the same length they do currently, the TV edits of the long OPs should be 2 minutes long. Which seems a little silly.

Alternatively, you could do a 90 second edit of the OP and restore the next episode previews at the end of the episode.

Think of it this way:

Current One Piece OPs and EDs where Toonami is are 90 seconds in length. Since there's one of each per episode, that's 3 minutes of air time in an uncut episode. The edits for both are about 30 seconds long each, so that means about 2 minutes is cut from that 3 minutes for Toonami.

When One Piece switrches to the long OP and no ED, it's instead 2:30 of airtime tied up in the OP. However, the show is ALSO a full minute shorter than it used to be since the switch (gotta get that advertising moneyz!).

So for One Piece episodes to run at more or less exactly the same length they do currently, the TV edits of the long OPs should be 2 minutes long. Which seems a little silly.

Alternatively, you could do a 90 second edit of the OP and restore the next episode previews at the end of the episode.

Hm, i'm gonna grab some future episodes and experiment with this theory. What's a good average/maximum runtime for One Piece?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Great stuff SAB. Bleach MOE pic is best pic.

Was just too fitting not to do, heh heh. Travis Squiddown is creepy, too.

Ugh, was too tired last night to watch anything. Will catch up this week.
Nice sketch dump SAB.
One of your best yet. Amazing stuff. Loving all of the colors.
Nice Splatoon crossover. Just noticed that. So excited for that game, heh.

Wohoo, glad ya liked! Always fun to come up with different design theories for these things.

I love how Nintendo can make me hype for a "shooter". Always reminds me of old arcade days; I'd play basically everything, because it was hype and with with cool characters all over the place. Golf? Puzzle Games? Stealthy Softcore pron games that I innocently played because they had cool anime pictures (Gals Panic)?! SURE! Presentation can go a long way...

Great stuff
Splatoon x Toonami!
Can we expect some smash bros coming up? XD

Sure! Probably to celebrate both release dates! And any awesome Nintendo Directs that occur.

I'm actually stumped on that sketch right now, can't tell which show is which

Pretty cool splatoon theme tho. Me like.

It did get extra messy in that regard last night, I drew things out of order, and by the time SamJack came on, I was like 3 shows behind or something. SymTitan also got the worse representation too, with a Nidhogg-like tiny reference in the back of the centerpiece of the last pic.

For reference (lol, even this looks messy):

Minis Pic 1: AoTitan: Red, top left. - Bleach: Orange, top right. - Dandy Blue-Green, Lower center. - Shippuden: Purple, lower left. - Won Peece: Yellow, lower right.

Minis Pic 2: Maria Ross, FMA:B, Top Left:- Whatshername who Headshot the guy on StarWars, Top Center. - Exam Teacher of Naruto, lower left. - Big DemonChicken from Blue Exorcist, lower right - Center Pic: To the right, Black Lagoon's Twins. Jack and Puff the Farting Dragon, Center, - Shiva and Dr. Ravencroft Beware the Bat, Left - SymTitan Bridgetop fight, top-center Background.

Can never get enough Splatoon-ami. Great job. Love the splatitans.

Titan has so many moments, always hard to choose which to go with! I kept wanting to do more with the Splatitans, too, haha. Those 2 really did look like creepy Jehova's witnesses or something.

Splatoonami? Heh, clever! :)

Thanks :) I wish I could make these Crossovers official! Haha.

Nice little mini Q&A. Oh, and Inuyasha-GAF, I found the perfect drink for your next watch:

This reminds me of the Mario Character Drinks from the 80s/90s.
soda.jpg

Rumiko Takahashi has to have an official drink of... SOMETHING...SOMEWHERE by now? Ranma Half-And-Half Tea/Lemonade? Official Shampoo...Shampoo?

Was trying to say correlation not causation but I guess I'm derping cause I'm tired -.- zzzz night everyone

Will check out SAB's stuff tomorrow been mostly skipping it until I finish the block

Heh heh, sorry for laying down a minefield of spoilers for ya! (Though I guess it's not entirely spoilerific for anything major).

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon Episode 13 and 14 now on Hulu - includes the finale of the Jadiete arc.

Haha awesome!

the 80s/90s.
soda.jpg

Rumiko Takahashi has to have an official drink of... SOMETHING...SOMEWHERE by now? Ranma Half-And-Half Tea/Lemonade? Official Shampoo...Shampoo?

A shampoo drink? Think you might be using it for the wrong reasons there though.

There is Oolong tea though.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
A shampoo drink? Think you might be using it for the wrong reasons there though.

There is Oolong tea though.

I was wondering why it tasted kinda Chemical-y!

I always wonder if characters with such names are sneaky attempts to get them featured on a product as an official sponsor. Associating one's creation with a commonly mentioned product or item is a neat way to make them flash through a persons mind... or to get steady royalty checks.

Time to make a character named "Pocky", and see what happens! With best friends Snapple, Ritz, Lays, and cocky rival Baja Blast...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

I always wonder if characters with such names are sneaky attempts to get them featured on a product as an official sponsor. Associating one's creation with a commonly mentioned product or item is a neat way to make them flash through a persons mind... or to get steady royalty checks.

Time to make a character named "Pocky", and see what happens! With best friends Snapple, Ritz, Lays, and cocky rival Baja Blast...

There kind of already is a character named Pocky.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocky_and_Rocky

MikeMyers

Well it's Shampoo because she uses it to make Akane forget about Ranma. Dragon Ball has a cast of everyone named after food, but it didn't come across as silly to me as those names don't like foods in English.

Speaking of which, I make the Sailor Moon Crystal OT soon, and it seems a lot of people are upset that Yamcha will not be returning for Crystal. I guess we'll have to call the new guy Fake-Yamcha, hopefully he'll be about the same.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
There kind of already is a character named Pocky.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocky_and_Rocky

Shhh, no one remembers Pocky and Roc-
painting

Ok, fine, I didn't even think about them in the moment, honestly, heh. Though I think the only way they'd ever be relevant to most, would be to have them replace the Ice Climbers in Smash Bros. or something....

...Now I want to see that happen. And Bomberman.

Well it's Shampoo because she uses it to make Akane forget about Ranma. Dragon Ball has a cast of everyone named after food, but it didn't come across as silly to me as those names don't like foods in English.

Speaking of which, I make the Sailor Moon Crystal OT soon, and it seems a lot of people are upset that Yamcha will not be returning for Crystal. I guess we'll have to call the new guy Fake-Yamcha, hopefully he'll be about the same.

I wonder how many Japanese people have a hard time taking Dragonball seriously, due to the names.

That's a shame too, maybe they can troll the roll by getting Gintoki's Seiyuu to fill the role? Yamcha ja nai!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I remember them because they are some of my favorite shumps of all time.

I'd say this is a good reason! I used to love looking at the screens in the old magazines; never got to play them as much as I'd have liked back then, but make up for a lot of that now. Even got Heavenly Guardian on Wii because of it.

Loved how games such as it and Legend of the Mystical Ninja made Japanese folklore more identifiable to me. Miko robes, Reifu Talismans, Warding Staffs, Kappas, the Kasa-Obake, Wanyudo, etc. Really helped make a foreign mythology make much more sense. Even if many of them are very common creatures, the whimsical artstyle really helped make them quite memorable.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Hm, i'm gonna grab some future episodes and experiment with this theory. What's a good average/maximum runtime for One Piece?

Current (as in 2014) episodes of One Piece run about 23:30-ish, incluiding OP, all narration, eyecatches, and next episode preview (but not including sponsor screens or any of that junk).

Earlier episodes ran about 24:30 with similar parameters. I'm not exactly sure what Water 7 episodes specifically were running, though. Would need to go digging and do a little research, but I think it's the same.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Monday's: Sailor Moon Episode 13:

So at long last we reach the one quarter mark on the Sailor Moon season, which established in formula that the first big showdown of the season takes place around this time. Indeed, Jadeite has failed once too often and is now order to war against the Sailor Scouts personally. Honestly, this episode was a step down for the last couple mainly because Usagi was about out her whiniest she has ever been and that just makes me want to see her vocal cords collapse. It was refreshing that the power ranger plot of the week to a backseat to the vow of vengeance. The actual battle was a bit too drawn out for my tastes and Tuexdeo Mask once again did like one thing before vanishing.
Jadeite's breakdown near the end with the casual sexism was pretty interesting to watch with the lens of modernity. I also really enjoyed that Moon Tiara Action DID NOT end the fight instead leading Jadeite to miscalculate a tumble and get run over by a plane. Also, Jadeite isn't really dead, just literally put to crystal sleep and we are introduced to Nephrite.
Overall, this was a solid affair though it was also kind of bland and cold as well, kind of a perfect summation of Jadeite as a chracter on this program. If this were not so important to the overarching story, I would give this a recommend to avoid.

Sailor Moon Monday's: Sailor Moon Episode 14:

Indeed, the paradigm has shifted once again so it is time to introduce the next major nemesis for the Sailor Scouts, the dark solider Nephrite and already he is a fair bit more interesting then the alabaster slab of haughty and boring that was Jadeite. I like the he establishes himself by having a different MO then Jadeite as he will divinitate and target individuals for the energy of macguffin.
We also, get to see Zoesite in all of his unaltered glory for the first time.
Come to think of it there was quite a bit of plot progression this episode, Usagi and the Scouts learn the true name of the enemy and their overall goal and shit Tuxedo Mask wasn't useless for once and we see the first shades of hinting that there is more to him then meets the eye.. Also, since this is time period where regular humans could still get airtime, Naru get a fair bit of backstory though I get the feeling it was one of those relevant to this episode only deals. Really, the only major black mark is the tennis gimmick was a bit too goofy even for this show. Highest recommendations or this episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom