• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun15| Thread made with armor plating from a SPACE BATTLESHIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My memory is a bit foggy but then why is she shocked her grandmother is a mermaid?

Also, how does she have normal legs? Mermaids in OP can switch between legs and a tail at will?

ACTUAL, REAL ASS ONE PIECE SPOILERS.

When they reach a certain age mermaid's tails split and they can walk on land.

daveo42

Banned
My memory is a bit foggy but then why is she shocked her grandmother is a mermaid?

Also, how does she have normal legs? Mermaids in OP can switch between legs and a tail at will?

Spoilers
they gain the ability to split their tail into "legs" in adulthood. Most of this gets covered in the next episode while Sanji recovers and refuses to believe Kokoro is actually a mermaid.

RagnarokX

Well thanks for spoiling the surprise, Toei.

As in the Pokemon?? Huh, maybe it was removed because Funimation feared Nintendo would've taken legal action or something. Edit: I R DUMB, it's that animal that's similar to a manatee.

This reminds me when Bulbapedia didn't know that swallows were real birds and thought a reference to them in a movie was referencing the pokemon swellow.

Fishman, Mermaids, Giants and probably Humans can all mate with each other so she might still be her granddaughter.

Chimney is confirmed to be Kokoro's granddaughter, but she is only 1/4 mermaid and mostly human. This is why she has human legs. She probably just wasn't aware of her grandmother being a mermaid.

It's explained later, but for pure mermaids, they start out with fish tails, but gain the ability to transform them into legs when they turn 30.

daveo42

Banned
saulandthemolemen.jpg

It's a rock!

Raxus

No matter what Kokoro is still a great reveal. It makes total sense when you think about it.
It is also a nice nod to the next major island Luffy's crew has to visit.

Seda

significant Marco scenes up to this point

1.) A 60 second back-and-forth at the bar
2.) Some encouraging words after they recapture supplies
3.) Something I noted last week that I can't remember at the moment
4.) Distracts titans from Jean with Connie and Annie

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Basically different types of fish is how to think about it.

eh, that's actually more confusing since every Fishmen and Mermaid is based on different types of fish already. It's better to look at them as similar yet different races.

Current One Piece races:
  • Human
  • Fishmen
  • Mermaid
  • Giant
  • Skypiean
  • REDACTED

Humans are further separated into sub-types but they don't matter at the moment.

significant Marco scenes up to this point

1.) A 60 second back-and-forth at the bar
2.) Some encouraging words after they recapture supplies
3.) Something I noted last week that I can't remember at the moment
4.) Distracts titans from Jean with Connie and Annie

And then he dies somewhere here. Off-screened to serve as Jean's motivation.

Raxus

eh, that's actually more confusing since every Fishmen and Mermaid is based on different types of fish already. It's better to look at them as similar yet different races.

Current One Piece races:
  • Human
  • Fishmen
  • Mermaid
  • Giant
  • Skypiean
  • REDACTED

Humans are further separated into sub-types but they don't matter at the moment.

Man looking at this list only reminds me
how many major islands we still have to visit.

daveo42

Banned

Current One Piece races:
  • Human
  • Fishmen
  • Mermaid
  • Giant
  • Skypiean
  • REDACTED

True. Aren't Fishman more aggressive species while mermaids are more docile? Maybe not as a hard rule, but at least as far as we've seen?

RagnarokX

No matter what Kokoro is still a great reveal. It makes total sense when you think about it.
It is also a nice nod to the next major island Luffy's crew has to visit.

And one of the biggest teases in the series
considering how long it takes them to get there.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
True. Aren't Fishman more aggressive species while mermaids are more docile? Maybe not as a hard rule, but at least as far as we've seen?

Fishmen and Mermaids are two related but different things. Fishmen are humanoids that have the characteristics of fish. Mermaids/men take the form of traditional mermaids, i.e. largely human upper bodies and fully fishy lower bodies
(until their tails split later in life)

Indeed. After all, while the Fishmen have Arlong, the mermaids have (spoilers for several arcs from now)
basically a giant Fluttershy for a princess

Crocodile

Ok thanks for the answers guys. So
A) her legs are like fish like under her pants and B) she can recombine her tail if need be for swimming?

I'm not sure why someone would kill her now, as the whole conceit was being killed in the game kills you in real life. Now it just turns them into a regular murderer.

I just saw this and couldn't stop laughing LOL

grandjedi6

Aye. That's eventually mentioned as a key characteristic of both races. But its not a hard and fast rule.

daveo42

Banned
Fishmen and Mermaids are two related but different things. Fishmen are humanoids that have the characteristics of fish. Mermaids/men take the form of traditional mermaids, i.e. largely human upper bodies and fully fishy lower bodies
(until their tails split later in life)

That's why I avoided that distinction, but I forgot that mermaid feet still look like tails after the split.

Raxus

One of the most subtle hints to Kokoro's identity? Her unique laugh.

It is Nagagagaga

Much like the mythical serpent creatures of legend :p

grandjedi6

Levi's tumblr fanbase is creepy.

Also had he arrived a few minutes earlier he probably would have killed Eren instead lol

RagnarokX

One of the most subtle hints to Kokoro's identity? Her unique laugh.

It is Nagagagaga

Much like the mythical serpent creatures of legend :p

Nagas are snake creatures of Hindu lore, specifically coming from cobras. Nothing to do with the sea. Maybe you could make a connection to unagi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom