• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JunJul16| You Thought It Was Dragon Ball Super, But It Was ME, DIO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caught up on the block.

Wasn't a fan of this Samurai Champloo episode. The campfire scene at the beginning where Fuu told the others to say what had changed about them felt blunt and obvious, like the show hadn't done enough with the characters up to that point and was hastily making up for it. Sure, it seems like something Fuu would do, but to me it just put a spotlight on how I don't actually feel like I know these characters very well. And I think as a result, it made the plot developments feel equally as hasty; the reveal of who Fuu's father is and why she's after him and how this was all being watched by the government is a slapdash way to start wrapping things up. Placing their journey in a larger context also abandons a lot of the simplicity that I appreciated about their little quest; I liked that they weren't trying to save the world, and that they weren't being relentlessly pursued.

I'm also iffy on how Iron-Blooded Orphans handled the scene where our main characters shoot unarmed prisoners. While they're doing what's necessary in the moment, I don't think that's where these events should philosophically conclude; there's plenty to say about what's necessary, and I'd argue those things SHOULD be said because just leaving it as "we did what we had to do" can be reductive in the wrong context. And since the episode made a joke right after those shootings and then cut to a scene where Orga is just such a swell guy because he gives people their severance pay, I don't know if I trust the show to go where I think it needs to go; it feels like it's shoving these rather troubling things off to the side so we can get giant robots blowing shit up.

Mikazuki shooting those two guys was revenge for leaving them out in the cold against Gjallahorn while they cut losses and fled, Orga pretty much says this. These aren't innocent people who just happen to be prisoners, these are the guys who oppressed them for a lot of their lives and then sent them out to die. The more philosophically muddy part is Mikazuki killing Crank.

Mikazuki shooting those two guys was revenge for leaving them out in the cold against Gjallahorn while they cut losses and fled, Orga pretty much says this. These aren't innocent people who just happen to be prisoners, these are the guys who oppressed them for a lot of their lives and then sent them out to die. The more philosophically muddy part is Mikazuki killing Crank.

I know, but I don't think their innocence makes much of a difference.

Josh5890

Whats the reception for HxH like in here thus far?

As someone who is slowly getting into anime at this point, I like it. It feels a little lighter in terms of setting but I think that will change soon. I like most of the characters.

As for the ratings, maybe Gundum will get moved down the block after Samurai's replacement is brought in?

my post was about how i think that's way too simple and easy

And I completely reject your notion and conclusion from it, they killed the leader as an example and for retribution since he made the order to abandon the orphans to die. Then they killed the second one for acting up and resisting after giving them a viable option to leave or join, they had no choice but to kill him since they had to show they meant business. In the end Orga and Mika aren't bad guys as the episode shows after (giving the severance pay for doing their job and following orders from a superior, etc) but they will do what has to be done to achieve their goals. There is no other conclusion to draw from this scene other then the obvious one, nothing else needs to be said unless you need the show to spell everything out for you.

And I completely reject your notion and conclusion from it, they killed the leader as an example and for retribution since he made the order to abandon the orphans to die. Then they killed the second one for acting up and resisting after giving them a viable option to leave or join, they had no choice but to kill him since they had to show they meant business. In the end Orga and Mika aren't bad guys as the episode shows after (giving the severance pay for doing their job and following orders from a superior, etc) but they will do what has to be done to achieve their goals. There is no other conclusion to draw from this scene other then the obvious one, nothing else needs to be said unless you need the show to spell everything out for you.

At what point do I seem like I don't understand what's going on and need it spelled out for me? I said it shouldn't stop at "they do what has to be done" because I think that's cheap. You are repeating back to me the thing I've said isn't good enough in response to me saying it's not good enough.

BBboy20

Horrible adaptation, I haven't seen a single Felyne or Rathalos yet.
Haha

Person of Interest:
TiredSecondaryIceblueredtopzebra.gif

At what point do I seem like I don't understand what's going on and need it spelled out for me? I said it shouldn't stop at "they do what has to be done" because I think that's cheap. You are repeating back to me the thing I've said isn't good enough in response to me saying it's not good enough.

Why does it need to go further? A bunch of kids are forced into indentured servitude as child soldiers by a small local PMC and are treated like shit and used as cannon fodder and now that they have their oppressors at their mercy and even offer an ultimatum of working under them or leaving, two guys reject and one of them even gets violent so one of the child soldiers kills the both of them both for rejecting and getting violent but also as revenge for the years of abuse and on behalf of the kids that didn't make it.

I don't see what's so philosophically complicated outside of a strict no kill ideology and a pretty weak 'well they're no better than people they killed' false equivalence.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They had plenty of justification from their point of view to kill both of them. The sad thing is that they had to have that point of view due to their shitty circumstances.

The only thing that bugs me about their train of thought is they keep telling the heart shaped hair lady that she's wrong in her belief that this is all her fault...when it is in fact all her fault. They were only attacked by Gallerhorn because they were there to kill her. This is a fact.

Seda

The only thing that bugs me about their train of thought is they keep telling the heart shaped hair lady that she's wrong in her belief that this is all her fault...when it is in fact all her fault. They were only attacked by Gallerhorn because they were there to kill her. This is a fact.

But that's just a symptom of a much larger issue.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
But that's just a symptom of a much larger issue.

Right. They're no better than conscripted slaves. It's still her fault that the big guns got pointed at them, that the boss ran off, that the first company tried to desert. That doesn't happen in their day to day grind!

BBboy20

......also jesus christ, can Gaming go one damn week without some kind of controversy crap?
That seems to be about giving the industry the benefit of the doubt which, from story to story, would indicate you should not. Also the neglecting of one's survival instincts after what said person has went through.

Why does it need to go further? A bunch of kids are forced into indentured servitude as child soldiers by a small local PMC and are treated like shit and used as cannon fodder and now that they have their oppressors at their mercy and even offer an ultimatum of working under them or leaving, two guys reject and one of them even gets violent so one of the child soldiers kills the both of them both for rejecting and getting violent but also as revenge for the years of abuse and on behalf of the kids that didn't make it.

I don't see what's so philosophically complicated outside of a strict no kill ideology and a pretty weak 'well they're no better than people they killed' false equivalence.

Because there's a difference between killing people who are in a potentially threatening position and killing people who have been completely neutralized and pose no more threat. It is an ugly thing, and boiling that down to a black-and-white "it's what's necessary" sort of deal diminishes the entire concept when there is more to say and more that SHOULD be said about children (or really anyone) being in a position where they feel they need to do things that would probably be considered war crimes.

They had plenty of justification from their point of view to kill both of them. The sad thing is that they had to have that point of view due to their shitty circumstances.

That's the thing, though; I'm not at all confident the show is going to address it being a sad concept; it feels like they're just going to leave it at this gung-ho "they were bad so the kids killed them, and NOW IT'S TIME FOR GIANT ROBOTS!" It makes the "horrors of war" thing feel like window dressing.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
moar liek been 10 too many times they tried reviving that series

man, I really hate the cheap flash style of shows

Ben 10 is the most successful show that looks like one of those cartoons somebody made up for the child character in some movie to watch and tell the adult character about

How far into Hunter x Hunter and Parasyte is Toonami? I would love to watch Toonami again and I am interested in those two shows.

Edit: And in case you can't tell by my avatar, I love Champloo. Hope you guys watching for the first time end up digging it.

How far into Hunter x Hunter and Parasyte is Toonami? I would love to watch Toonami again and I am interested in those two shows.

Edit: And in case you can't tell by my avatar, I love Champloo. Hope you guys watching for the first time end up digging it.

Hunter x Hunter is about 10 episodes in. On July 2nd, Toonami will be marathoning it's 7 most recent episodes so that would be a great time to catch up.

Raxus

Parasyte finished its run and is rerunning at 3. We just saw episode 9 of both shows.

Welcome to ToonamiGAF!

Mizerman

Greetings!

Hunter x Hunter is about 10 episodes in. On July 2nd, Toonami will be marathoning it's 7 most recent episodes so that would be a great time to catch up.

Parasyte finished its run and is rerunning at 3. We just saw episode 9 of both shows.

Welcome to ToonamiGAF!

Greetings!

Cool, thanks guys! Out of curiosity, what compels you to watch Toonami nowadays? Nostalgia? The time slot? Wanting to watch anime legally for once?

Cool, thanks guys! Out of curiosity, what compels you to watch Toonami nowadays? Nostalgia? The time slot? Wanting to watch anime legally for once?

Yes, yes, kinda (pay for crunchy and Funi)

Really for me it's the community here, on Twitter, on game FAQs, and irl talking toonami and other anime with fans drives me to watch the block

Seeing others reactions.

Even when dealing with shows I'd probably love if I sat down and watched them (JoJo, MHA, soon to be OPM unless it gets announced for Toonami), I have a hard time just watching anime alone anymore. I need the live play by play with the community on GAF and the Toonami tag on tumblr, reacting as first timers to the shows. It adds a lot.

I suppose if I were watching new shows as they aired, I could use the GAF OT or follow the anime season OT, but I want to watch my shows in English, so that's not happening.

Seda

I have a hard time just watching anime alone anymore. I need the live play by play with the community on GAF .... It adds a lot.

This is a large part of it for me. I rarely watch movies or shows in general because it's just too passive for me. It's hard for me to explain, but I guess the lack of "interaction" kills my interest. (People have poked fun at me in the past when I mention some of the "classic" movies I don't know anything about.) I suppose this is one reason I prefer video games as my primary entertainment, because I have something to actually interact with and some actual agency with what I'm doing. What I'm saying is that a regular live-watch type environment allows me to maintain interest in this type of stuff.

For example, there's a kind of in-joke in this thread where I supposedly live in a box because I've never seen a Ghibli movie.

That might be incredibly weird, I dunno, but that's the gist of it.

I know I could <watch something> and then <discuss it on a forum somewhere> but it's not the same.

Also, Saturday in the dead of night is a time where I'm not doing anything else anyway, so the timeslot works for me.

BBboy20

This is a large part of it for me. I rarely watch movies or shows in general because it's just too passive for me. It's hard for me to explain, but I guess the lack of "interaction" kills my interest. (People have poked fun at me in the past when I mention some of the "classic" movies I don't know anything about.) I suppose this is one reason I prefer video games as my primary entertainment, because I have something to actually interact with and some actual agency with what I'm doing. What I'm saying is that a regular live-watch type environment allows me to maintain interest in this type of stuff.

For example, there's a kind of in-joke in this thread where I supposedly live in a box because I've never seen a Ghibli movie.

That might be incredibly weird, I dunno, but that's the gist of it.

I know I could <watch something> and then <discuss it on a forum somewhere> but it's not the same.

Also, Saturday in the dead of night is a time where I'm not doing anything else anyway, so the timeslot works for me.
"What uncultured swine" - some random person that thinks this way.

*sees a Sonic movie is in production*

Will they finally bring back the character who will save this franchise?
Silver02.png

The people demand it!

GIVE HIM A GUN TOO!

Moaradin

Why do they keep rebooting it? I never really got into Ben 10, but I did like that there seemed to be some sort of continuity and the characters actually grew up as it went along. Why did they drop that?

Mizerman

Why do they keep rebooting it? I never really got into Ben 10, but I did like that there seemed to be some sort of continuity and the characters actually grew up as it went along. Why did they drop that?

From the looks of it, it seems like the classic case of too many cooks and they stopped caring when Omniverse was out.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Because at one point it was literally a billion dollar franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom