• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JunJul16| You Thought It Was Dragon Ball Super, But It Was ME, DIO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
*playing through TMS#FE*
*run into a Savage Enemy*
*total party kill*
*I haven't saved since the beginning of the chapter* .................................................................................................

I think I need a break.

*playing through TMS#FE*
*run into a Savage Enemy*
*total party kill*
*I haven't saved since the beginning of the chapter* .................................................................................................

I think I need a break.

Every RPG ever has taught me to save every 20 minutes at most. Im too old to waste time repeating shit.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
oh cool, Gaming just spoiled Berserk for me

guess I don't need to bother with the manga now

Semi-serious. The game probably got people like to me to finally check the series out, spoiler tag some stuff, sheesh

Seda

oh cool, Gaming just spoiled Berserk for me

guess I don't need to bother with the manga now

Semi-serious. The game probably got people like to me to finally check the series out, spoiler tag some stuff, sheesh

I don't know anything about Berserk, but it seems old enough and popular enough that some elements of it have seeped into the realm of 'common knowledge' in discussion surrounding it.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I don't know anything about Berserk, but it seems old enough and popular enough that some elements of it have seeped into the realm of 'common knowledge' in discussion surrounding it.

It started in 1989. The most memorable moment of the series (at least one of them) happened in 1995 or 96. It's been about 20 years.

It's kind of like during the airing of Water 7 when we didn't even try to hide that Franky would join the crew since that's been common knowledge for YEARS.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Some of us weren't even born yet when Berserk was released.

Edit: Let me put it this way: Jojo Part 4 ended 20 years ago after starting in 1992, doesn't mean I spoil what happens in the anime because it's based on an old & popular series, that could be someone's introduction to that.

"but anime based on a manga & a video game based on a manga aren't the same!!"

They said they wanted the game to appeal to newcomers of the series as well.

If they were talking about stuff in the Berserk OT, fine, but in Gaming, not everyone keeps up with all manga/anime. Hell, wouldn't surprise me if FF7 Remake was someone's introduction to FF7 because they didn't play the original for one reason or another.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The awkward thing about the Berserk spoilers to me, is that people who bring it up are disgusted about how the pivotal moment is being represented, because it had SO MUCH buildup in the manga, and that's what made it great...

... so in open air convo, you just blab it out, taking away the potential for any future readers who wander into the thread to get that same much-loved buildup through their own reading?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I actually recall people using spoiler tags when the teaser trailer was shown. But yes, that's a great point. I no longer get any build-up & get the same experience the fans got.

I actually recall people using spoiler tags when the teaser trailer was shown. But yes, that's a great point. I no longer get any build-up & get the same experience the fans got.

I wouldn't agree with that, the original manga starts in the present showing how fucked Guts life is before flashing back to show how it happened and the writing is so good you almost forget you already know the outcome is gonna be bad. In the end what actually happened while shocking isn't as important as what built to it and that you haven't experienced.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Don't worry about it, like Bass said the story starts en media res and flashes back to the beginning of the plot's time line. It's actually so well done you won't really care. It's not about the shock value, but about establishing the motivations that drive the entire series. So don't worry, you didn't have any twists or anything ruined for you.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Some of us weren't even born yet when Berserk was released.

Edit: Let me put it this way: Jojo Part 4 ended 20 years ago after starting in 1992, doesn't mean I spoil what happens in the anime because it's based on an old & popular series, that could be someone's introduction to that.

"but anime based on a manga & a video game based on a manga aren't the same!!"

They said they wanted the game to appeal to newcomers of the series as well.

If they were talking about stuff in the Berserk OT, fine, but in Gaming, not everyone keeps up with all manga/anime. Hell, wouldn't surprise me if FF7 Remake was someone's introduction to FF7 because they didn't play the original for one reason or another.
If you went into a thread about one of the Jojo games, you would be spoiled there too. The same with pretty much any game based on an anime.

The Berserk game is a fanservice game based on a decades old manga that is using those spoiler moments as a key part of its marketing. I feel for you man, but you kinda did it to yourself.

As an aside, I don't think anyone can play the Final Fantasy 7 remake unsullied as everyone and their grandma knows what happens to Aeris.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
All this spoiler talk remind me of the time I finally decided to check out Cowboy Bebop on Adult Swim....only to discover I watched the final episode first.

Regiruler

All this spoiler talk remind me of the time I finally decided to check out Cowboy Bebop on Adult Swim....only to discover I watched the final episode first.

If bebop is the best anime ever, will it be the worst anime ever if watched in reverse?

Do it for science.

If bebop is the best anime ever, will it be the worst anime ever if watched in reverse?

Do it for science.

Bebop is the story of a bounty hunter in the future who dies after confronting his long time rival, the series then flashes back to show us the kinds of adventures he went on before his death.

Crocodile

I've never read Berserk but that plot point never seemed to be one where the impact is "ruined" if you know about it in advance. There are def some plot points where that is true but not that one IMO.

As an aside, my Cable is down for at least the next 48 hours but I still have internet. What are/were the legal streaming options for Toonami people were using and how exactly do I use them?

I've never read Berserk but that plot point never seemed to be one where the impact is "ruined" if you know about it in advance. There are def some plot points where that is true but not that one IMO.

As an aside, my Cable is down for at least the next 48 hours but I still have internet. What are/were the legal streaming options for Toonami people were using and how exactly do I use them?

Go to the adult swim live stream and sign in using your cable info to watch online.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Idol emblem runs the razor's edge between being too animu and just enough animu. I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

Regiruler

Idol emblem runs the razor's edge between being too animu and just enough animu. I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

That edge is a bit different for every person so I'm still not really sold on the game.

I just got pikmin 3 so I'll occupy my time with that instead.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

How's the gameplay? I'm writing and editing all day today and haven't had time to play it. It looks like it straddles that line well, but I haven't seen much of the gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom