• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JunJul16| You Thought It Was Dragon Ball Super, But It Was ME, DIO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grexeno

If Shokugeki no Soma actually got put on Toonami, it would tank so hard in ratings that it would be moved to the very end of the block, or even cut entirely, within a month.

If Shokugeki no Soma actually got put on Toonami, it would tank so hard in ratings that it would be moved to the very end of the block, or even cut entirely, within a month.

Calm yourself sns is too popular to tenchi gxp it would not mega bomb like you think it would

Line_HTX

It might not do well, but it's not going to bomb.

Obviously this is all hypothetical conjecture, so it's not like it'll actually be a reality.

Other shows would bomb harder than Food Wars though.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The dub is just gonna suuuccckkkk, isn't it....

More than likely. Unless they suddenly hire competent voice directors.
It's not the actors (most of the time), several of them are also in Funimation dubs and they pull off good work. Murano in Parasyte is also Nami on One Piece
and Uraraka on My Hero Academia
. That one annoying guy on Akame ga Kill that kept using video game terminology is also Frieza on DBZ Kai (and the Resurrection F movie).

Hey now, Shokugeki no Soma is actually funny. Unlike GXP.
Soma alone is way more likeable than any character on that show.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Totally agree with you, man. It's less the actual VAs & more the fact they just feel like the first take is good enough without bothering to try to bring out their A-game like Funimation does.

Seda

More than likely. Unless they suddenly hire competent voice directors.
It's not the actors (most of the time), several of them are also in Funimation dubs and they pull off good work. Murano in Parasyte is also Nami on One Piece
and Uraraka on My Hero Academia
. That one annoying guy on Akame ga Kill that kept using video game terminology is also Frieza on DBZ Kai (and the Resurrection F movie).

Hey now, Shokugeki no Soma is actually funny. Unlike GXP.
Soma alone is way more likeable than any character on that show.

Totally agree with you, man. It's less the actual VAs & more the fact they just feel like the first take is good enough without bothering to try to bring out their A-game like Funimation does.

I dunno I feel like this argument is kinda missing it. Most of the bad performances came from novice VAs with only a few years experience, and those with FUNimation acting credits (Luci Christian, Andrew Love, that guy who voiced Bro Pompadour whatever his name) tended to be the stronger performances. Yes, I suppose you could say maybe FUNimation ADR directors could get more out of those noivce actors, but to place the blame solely of the directors is too simple, I think.

So I'm playing Mirror's Edge Catalyst.

And well...

giphy.gif

I could mention a lot of things. The annoying story, the graphics issues, the kinda enjoyable but awkward combat. The list goes on. The biggest problem I have with the game is how safe it all feels. For instance, you get to a train station, and I'm thinking "OH! This is gonna be like the train sequence from the first game! That's great!" Then you hop on a train, cutscene, and you're done. There's no train sequence in this game. There's no real signature moments at all so far. Like many open world games, I'm fairly certain I won't remember any of this in a month. The game will just be a blur in my mind.

I could go back and play the first game right now, and remember practically everything.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I dunno I feel like this argument is kinda missing it. Most of the bad performances came from novice VAs with only a few years experience, and those with FUNimation acting credits (Luci Christian, Andrew Love, that guy who voiced Bro Pompadour whatever his name) tended to be the stronger performances. Yes, I suppose you could say maybe FUNimation ADR directors could get more out of those noivce actors, but to place the blame solely of the directors is too simple, I think.
I feel like it could be a mixture of both. Akame ga Kill & more so with Parasyte have shown us there are some people who can act fine, but then other times, we get voices that just do not match or get some really bad line reads. With Parasyte, we have some VAs who've worked with Funimation (Migi is Black Star from Soul Eater) and while Parasyte's dub is much better thab AgK's, there's still stuff like Shinichi having bad line reads or a few characters whose voice doesn't really work.

Also, as we discovered, both shows had the same ADV director, so who knows.

Jarate

Banned
food wars looks dumb no matter what the voices are

Its surprisingly good

It's another tough sell, like Prison School is. But I think the sexuality in both is "in universe" and kind of makes sense. Im not going to say they arent done for fanservice, but they each have a reason as too why they exist like Kill La Kill. They also fit the visual style.

I think it would do really well on Toonami tbh. It's 13 episodes, has some titties, but not enough to cause problems, and has a super shonen self insert MC.

What's up, sexy people? Shokugeki no Soma on the block? That'd be a real hard sell. Also, it pains me that such a great show got sent to Sentai. Sent to Sentai, Sent to Die.

Seda

Hitsugaya: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

That has nothing to do with voice direction. Steve Staley just cannot yell. So on one hand it's a talent thing, on the other it's a casting thing (he's fine in certain roles, but does not fit others).

BBboy20

So I'm playing Mirror's Edge Catalyst.

And well...

giphy.gif

I could mention a lot of things. The annoying story, the graphics issues, the kinda enjoyable but awkward combat. The list goes on. The biggest problem I have with the game is how safe it all feels. For instance, you get to a train station, and I'm thinking "OH! This is gonna be like the train sequence from the first game! That's great!" Then you hop on a train, cutscene, and you're done. There's no train sequence in this game. There's no real signature moments at all so far. Like many open world games, I'm fairly certain I won't remember any of this in a month. The game will just be a blur in my mind.

I could go back and play the first game right now, and remember practically everything.
Easy Allies streamed that today; it seemed like it was monotone, finicky, and annoying. It seemed like going open world was a mistake while retaining the flaws from the first. Years to improve yet not so what gives?

Also my Grand Kingdom arrived yet I am at chapter 2 of tms. @-@

Line_HTX

That has nothing to do with voice direction. Steve Staley just cannot yell. So on one hand it's a talent thing, on the other it's a casting thing (he's fine in certain roles, but does not fit others).

Steve Staley excels really well at composed characters like Inumuta and currently, McGillis.

This week on Ask Demarco!

download.png

Easy Allies streamed that today; it seemed like it was monotone, finicky, and annoying. It seemed like going open world was a mistake while retaining the flaws from the first. Years to improve yet not so what gives?

The thing is, it's not a terrible game. It's like a 6 or 7.

It's flawed, but still kind of enjoyable. The game feel is solid. Moving feels good. The biggest problem is it doesn't feel like Mirror's Edge.

Slightly related. Saw the new AS lineup for the weekend block and now i'm wondering if Bob's Burgers is actually doing well enough that it got Family Guy's coveted late night slot.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Slightly related. Saw the new AS lineup for the weekend block and now i'm wondering if Bob's Burgers is actually doing well enough that it got Family Guy's coveted late night slot.

No kidding? Bob's Burgers is by far the best show to watch before TOONAMI since...I don't know when. There's good episodes of Boondocks and Black Dynamite, but also super shitty ones. There's ain't no bad episodes of Schadenbob's Burgers.

No kidding? Bob's Burgers is by far the best show to watch before TOONAMI since...I don't know when. There's good episodes of Boondocks and Black Dynamite, but also super shitty ones. There's ain't no bad episodes of Schadenbob's Burgers.

Yeah, they changed the whole thing around. Bob's Burgers is in Family Guy's slot now and American Dad and Family Guy moved up.

Raxus

Much like the endless horizon before them, they too see no end to the run much like there is no end to Naruto.

They put padding in the final fight! At this rate I look forward to the inevitable 100 episode filler of Naruto and his love interest courting each other!

Mizerman

Much like the endless horizon before them, they too see no end to the run much like there is no end to Naruto.

They put padding in the final fight! At this rate I look forward to the inevitable 100 episode filler of Naruto and his love interest courting each other!

Yay~

That would be riveting. Oscar worthy, in fact.

Raxus

I am shocked this doesn't get more play.

giphy.gif

You can do so much with it.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
You know what is a good Sentai dub?
Monthly Girls Nozaki. It's legitimately good despite starring mostly newbies and gives me hope that not everything Sentai has is sent to die.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, but the main character is SUPPOSE to be emotionless in that series. That's why Shinichi's VA worked in Parasyte!

Should see if I can find some clips, that was a rather decent series & would be interesting to hear in English.

Line_HTX

You know what is a good Sentai dub?
Monthly Girls Nozaki. It's legitimately good despite starring mostly newbies and gives me hope that not everything Sentai has is sent to die.

Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun is legitimately funny. I haven't enjoyed a show like this in years.

Seda

Not that I want to criticize anybody, but I'm so used to buying games well after launch that I see people getting irlmad at Aksys/Amazon for the delay - to the extent that now they say aren't going to play the game at all - and it kinda confuses me. I saw three people say that, and I doubt they all played 999 right when it released.

I also have a billion other games to get to so even if a preorder of mine is delayed, I wouldn't be bothered.

Jarate

Banned
Not that I want to criticize anybody, but I'm so used to buying games well after launch that I see people getting irlmad at Aksys/Amazon for the delay - to the extent that now they say aren't going to play the game at all - and it kinda confuses me. I saw three people say that, and I doubt they all played 999 right when it released.

I also have a billion other games to get to so even if a preorder of mine is delayed, I wouldn't be bothered.

I'd just be pissed at Amazon for not giving me the thing I actively paid money for. Like dont advertise it if you don't have the stock. But then again, i'd still happily play the game after receiving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom