• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JunJul16| You Thought It Was Dragon Ball Super, But It Was ME, DIO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So...that new Berserk anime is starting in two days....

c3f.gif

I don't know what's going to be worse for the eyes. The CGI or the arguments about Berserk's content whenever a Berserk Musou thread pops up in Gaming.

I mean having a buddy who's only experience in Berserk is the first 10 chapters and the 3 films he found that the story and characters made him forgive them inconsistent CGI animation. I imagine the same will be true for this series die hard manga fans will be upset at the arcs that are skipped or other minor details the anime doesn't include, anime gaf will hate it because of the CGI animation and frame rate, people who just enjoy a good dark story with a lot of action will be blown away by it and look past the animation and not know about the cut content.

11:30 PM Dragon Ball Z Kai: 1,346,000
12:00 AM Mobile Suit Gundam I.B.O: 1,040,000
12:30 AM Hunter X Hunter: 926,000
1:00 AM Samurai Champloo: 786,000
1:30 AM Naruto Shippuden: 724,000
2:00 AM One Piece: 671,000
2:30 AM Parasite: ???

source.

So two questions about the state of Toonami as someone just coming back:

1) Are these numbers bad?
2) And more importantly, what has been the story of Toonami when it shut down and since it's return? Wikipedia tells me the ratings weren't good enough, but doesn't really go into much detail about what convinced CN execs to bring it back and all it says about the years since is what shows have come in and out. Are things going well?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

2) And more importantly, what has been the story of Toonami when it shut down and since it's return? Wikipedia tells me the ratings weren't good enough, but doesn't really go into much detail about what convinced CN execs to bring it back and all it says about the years since is what shows have come in and out. Are things going well?

Numbers always suck in the summer.

The guys in charge of CN at the time were trying to transition away from cartoons and such and into live-action. No that's not a joke. Many good shows died as a result.

Don't worry about it, is what DeMarco's line on numbers is. It's the middle of the night, so long as Toonami keeps beating everything else easily there's no issue.

Seda

Those numbers aren't too bad actually, better than last weeks but just a little lower than the typical over the last several weeks (months even) and moving up a half hour hasn't really seems to be beneficial ratings-wise. That drop from HxH to Champloo isn't great.

Truthfully, ever since DBZ came back a year and a half ago, ratings have been generally the best they've been for the revived block.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Here's the thing, while I totally blame the management for attempting to get rid of all but the cheapest Canadian cartoons and Ben Ten back during the dark ages I can't blame them for canning TOONAMI as an afternoon block. There just plain wasn't enough good action cartoons in the pipeline to run that stuff 5 days a week, especially on the anime side of things, trying to hit a preteen/teen audience. Naruto was the last best hope in that regard but even that needs a decent amount of edits to get on afternoons.

TOONAMI as a nostalgia reboot assimilating the Adult Swim Action block however is a genius move. TOONAMI already had history there targeting an older audience with the Midnight Run Uncut versions/exclusives like 08th MS.

I'm not a fan of the CGI in the Berserk movies but I never considered it a total dealbreaker; it's jarring as hell, but I found it more or less passable. That said, there's one flashback in the second movie (might be the first) that is completely unwatchable and actually gave me a headache.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Here's the thing, while I totally blame the management for attempting to get rid of all but the cheapest Canadian cartoons and Ben Ten back during the dark ages I can't blame them for canning TOONAMI as an afternoon block. There just plain wasn't enough good action cartoons in the pipeline to run that stuff 5 days a week, especially on the anime side of things, trying to hit a preteen/teen audience. Naruto was the last best hope in that regard but even that needs a decent amount of edits to get on afternoons.

TOONAMI as a nostalgia reboot assimilating the Adult Swim Action block however is a genius move. TOONAMI already had history there targeting an older audience with the Midnight Run Uncut versions/exclusives like 08th MS.

I blame them for killing off the Saturday night block though. There was enough there that could get by edits to justify that. Plus they had some really cool shows in the pipeline at the time.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
As I understand it Toonami lost weekday afternoons because the advertisers kept getting pissed at the violence content contained with its programming and they got cancelled as an excuse to get rid of block and usher in the glory and the passion of CN Real.

I genuinely enjoyed Destroy, Build, Destroy. The stuff they built was cool. Of course, I was 17 at the time so some might question what I was doing watching a tv show intended for preteens and to those people I say "Your mom".

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hey remember the time when Disney XD and Nicktoons tried to be Toonami and Cartoon Network tried to be Disney? Fun times.

Neoxon

What are the odds of My Hero Academia hitting Toonami? You think they'll wait until Season 2 is almost out so we won't have to wait as long between the end of Season 1 & the start of Season 2?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
A lot less now then at the beginning of the season given the hype window for the broadcast dub was missed. The obvious money right now is on One Punch Man as far as superhero anime is concerned.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I've heard good things about the Blue Exorcist manga past the point where the anime split off. Hopefully that's what's covered. And who knows, if this got a continuation after so long while not being super successful to my knowledge, maybe Soul Eater will get another chance
and Bleach
Soul Eater is never coming back because the manga is over.

Bleach continues to be a very real, very terrible, possibility.

Raxus

Plot Twist: They air Fist of the Northstar.

We are already hooked.

I would KILL for a FotNS remake ala JoJo DO IT DAVIDPRO!

I have a feeling
Aizen is gonna fight Yhwach, and it's gonna be the dumbest thing ever.

"Oh you thought you could alter my future? But you see, Yhwach, the past me is my illusion, so we're actually fighting on an entirely different reality from the actual illusion of future past self.

Oh, and I made another Hogyoku, but even I can't remember what this thing is supposed to do now."

Mizerman

Plot Twist: They air Fist of the Northstar.

We are already hooked.

I would KILL for a FotNS remake ala JoJo DO IT DAVIDPRO!

My money. Shut up and take it!

I have a feeling

"Oh you thought you could alter my future? But you see, Yhwach, the past me is my illusion, so we're actually fighting on an entirely different reality from the actual illusion of future past self.

Oh, and I made another Hogyoku, but even I can't remember what this thing is supposed to do now."

When you're drenched in Bleach, things don't gotta make any sense.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I have a feeling

That sounds trolltastic. I love it.

Raxus

Welp, Togashi is going on hiatus again. I want to die. Wish that man would hire assistants or get someone else to do the drawing for him.

Pretty sure his wife animated the last chapters.

At least we got a killer fight. See you what, next year for 7 more chapters?

Edit1: Artist interpretation of Togashi:

Edit2:

Funniest thing about all of this?

We just took off on a fucking BOAT in the manga. RIP HxH manga fans.

Wouldn't that be a super-quick turn-around for the dub?

I mean we just had Dimension W airing only 6 weeks after it aired in Japan and Space Dandy airing before it aired in Japan so it's not unheard of. The issue is Blue Exorcist is an aniplex show most likely and they've never done the simuldub thing before.

What are the odds of My Hero Academia hitting Toonami? You think they'll wait until Season 2 is almost out so we won't have to wait as long between the end of Season 1 & the start of Season 2?

Despite what Shard says the show has a pretty strong chance to air on the block. It and OPM are both incredibly popular and dubbed it's more a matter of when not if they air IMO. I don't think Shard's argument that it won't be a dub premier holds water since we've had shows like M&H and InuYasha TFA act years after their dub premiers.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I mean we just had Dimension W airing only 6 weeks after it aired in Japan and Space Dandy airing before it aired in Japan so it's not unheard of. The issue is Blue Exorcist is an aniplex show most likely and they've never done the simuldub thing before.

Despite what Shard says the show has a pretty strong chance to air on the block. It and OPM are both incredibly popular and dubbed it's more a matter of when not if they air IMO. I don't think Shard's argument that it won't be a dub premier holds water since we've had shows like M&H and InuYasha TFA act years after their dub premiers.

Broadcast dub already happened and they hype and urgency have died down quite a bit. If it shows up I wouldn't expect it soon, like not this year kind of deal. Also, Aniplex did a simuldub of DURARARA!! Seasons 2 and 3.

Broadcast dub already happened and they hype and urgency have died down quite a bit. If it shows up I wouldn't expect it soon, like not this year kind of deal. Also, Aniplex did a simuldub of DURARARA!! Seasons 2 and 3.

Oh yeah I forgot about Aniplex doing a simuldub so I guess we could see Blue Exorcist sooner then expected guess it depends upon how much Toonami/Aniplex made off it's tv airing and if there's interesting in airing more of it.

I'm also not saying MHA will happen sooner then later, just that it'll happen eventually. I know you think MHA is over rated and anime gaf certainly feeds into the narrative that hype is dying down since they never cared for it, but it's getting enough buzz to warrant a second season being announced asap unlike other series like Shokugeki no Soma where there was uncertainty if season 2 would happen.

Just for giggles, perhaps Funi was planning to have Toonami premier the simuldub for MHA after Dimension W ended, but Toonami already had plans for Gundam IBO so Funi premiered the simuldub on their website and it'll be the replacement for Samurai Champloo announced next week. That is just as likely a scenario as "the boat has passed" or almost any other show being announced. Until Toonami specifically comments on MHA like they have for JoJo or Sailor Moon Crystal it can't be written off in any meaningful way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom