• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JunJul16| You Thought It Was Dragon Ball Super, But It Was ME, DIO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
All it does is make me think Timmy Turner from Fairy Oddparents.

....& Ted Turner.

..........or maybe it's because he's TURNING to the evil side.

Ridiculous whitewashing aside, Adam Wingard is a damn good director and this Death Note movie stands a better chance than Ghost in the Shell with Rupert Sanders or Akira with (maybe) Justin Lin

Seda

I don't know anything about Death Note or this movie or anything at all really, but I suppose it depends how much the production team acknowledge it as an adaptation of the original source. Does it fall more towards the <direct adaptation> side of the spectrum or more generally <a take based on> the IP. Like, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with taking a source material and putting your own spin on it. People are free to criticize it in any way, but that doesn't mean it's sacrilege or something.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
What direction did Dragonball Evolution take?

...........because it should be going in the COMPLETELY OPPOSITE direction that movie went.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Gonna finish ZTD tomorrow. Great time. Then I get to see how far I can get in TMS before Monster Hunter comes out.

Jarate

Banned
I've never seem Death Note before, so I don't know how closely knit being in Japan is to the story. I don't have a problem with westernizing ghost in the shell all that much, but Akira would've been way worse if set in America (one of the big thematic elements was the fear of the government essentially making another mass destruction weapon, which Japan was the only country to get a nuke dropped on them during war)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Death Note could be done literally anywhere. It's also pretty well suited for live action with only a few supernatural characters.

Raxus

Death Note could be done literally anywhere. It's also pretty well suited for live action with only a few supernatural characters.

Yep. I look forward to the neckbeards flipping out L is a black guy though. I suspect 1-2 perms on GAF when the trailer comes out.

Seda

I've never seem Death Note before, so I don't know how closely knit being in Japan is to the story. I don't have a problem with westernizing ghost in the shell all that much, but Akira would've been way worse if set in America (one of the big thematic elements was the fear of the government essentially making another mass destruction weapon, which Japan was the only country to get a nuke dropped on them during war)

Isn't Chronicle heavily inspired by Akira?

See, Ghost in the Shell at least has the kind-of-but-not-all-that-solid argument of "well Scarlett Johansson is a big star who can guarantee an audience and justify the required budget"

Death Note is a much lower budget movie starring the kid from The Naked Brothers Band. There's not an excuse here for refusing to go with an Asian lead for a manga adaptation, even if they do transplant it to America. Like, if they're not even casting Asian leads for adaptations of material that originated in Japan, it's basically just not happening at all.

At least it looks like this Lone Wolf and Cub thing could do it if it actually gets off the ground.

I find it interesting the Netflix death note film cast a black guy in the role of L but people are too busy crying white washing on Light Turner. An Americanized Deathnote could work really well if the script and acting are good. Besides we had a live action DN movie with Asian actors in the lead why not try something different with the US version?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So what're the chances we're gonna get a stupid, cheesy line like "I'm going to make them see....the LIGHT"?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yup, dub will premiere in theaters on Sept. 15th. Though they only confirmed the guy who voiced Tentomon is coming back, haven't heard anything else on the dub.

Yup, dub will premiere in theaters on Sept. 15th. Though they only confirmed the guy who voiced Tentomon is coming back, haven't heard anything else on the dub.

Jeez thats gonna be a major downer if they can only get 1 voice back and its a digimon that jobbed half the time.

At least get Agumon and Tai back together if anything.

I find it interesting the Netflix death note film cast a black guy in the role of L but people are too busy crying white washing on Light Turner. An Americanized Deathnote could work really well if the script and acting are good. Besides we had a live action DN movie with Asian actors in the lead why not try something different with the US version?

So because they cast a black dude as the villain means it's above criticism? There isn't a minority quota that they filled so they automatically get a pass forever on everything else, especially when the representation of Asians as leads in an American movie is in the toilet. This was a prime opportunity that they didn't take, so why should that not be criticized?

I also don't feel I should have to explain what's wrong with the argument of "well you can watch the foreign language Death Note movie if you wanna see Asians"

Line_HTX

The question was if the Toonami panel was going to have a live stream.

SPACE KNIGHT DEMARCO &#8207;@Clarknova1 1h1 hour ago

SPACE KNIGHT DEMARCO Retweeted Jeremy Poursine

Nope. But we will be filming it, and our experiences at the con, and that will be next week's Toonami Pre-Flight ep!

I can't wait to start Zero Time Dilemma, but I'm also nervous about it.

Because how do you even end that series? How do you land that plane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom