• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JunJul16| You Thought It Was Dragon Ball Super, But It Was ME, DIO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Isn't it more that they are making her more Japanese looking? How the fuck is it whitewashing when it's made in Japan?

Also, the Warriors just became a sports shonens antagonist team

Casca isn't ethnically Japanese, Berserk isn't set in Japan, whitewashing isn't an exclusively American issue (people of color live around the entire world), how is "they are making her Japanese" not a problem?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I checked this out.

According the DVD releases, episode 78 of DBZ Kai introduces a duet(?) opening that is horrible. I don't know who the VAs / singers are (Justin Cook and Sean Schemmel?) but it is bad.

Episode 89 introduces a fuller ensemble opening, taking pieces from each of different VAs. It's still pretty bad but about a third of is Vic so it's not as bad as it could be.

I don't know know if we'll see these (we havent seen all the alternate openings) but I was curious.

The ensemble one I actually like.

In fact my order is:

The Vic Version
The version currently used by TOONAMI
The ensemble

The rest suck.

Also regarding One Piece and pacing, I'd say the arc after Thriller Bark is actually the best paced arc in the entire series.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*makes comment about still not having my copy of ZTD shipped yet on Twitter*

*random account responds with what could possibly be a huge spoiler, not sure if joking*

Freakin' hell, especially after I was doing a decent job of avoiding spoilers, save for general "wtf at this non-specific part" from a few people.

Seda

*makes comment about still not having my copy of ZTD shipped yet on Twitter*

*random account responds with what could possibly be a huge spoiler, not sure if joking*

Freakin' hell, especially after I was doing a decent job of avoiding spoilers, save for general "wtf at this non-specific part" from a few people.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I was """Spoiled""" on an actually pretty major spoiler for 999. Turns out, without the actual context, it didn't actually mean much when I ran into that "spoiler" when I played it.

In other words, most spoilers are meaningless without context.

Aside: Not pointing to anyone specifically in here, but spoiler-culture confuses me when people "read the spoilers" for an upcoming narrative (whether its a show, anime, game, manga, whatever), which is usually plot events in bullet-list form and then analyze it or criticize it as if they've experienced the plot itself. Kinda similar when people think trailers "spoil the movie" when really, no, they don't. (someone made a great post on this but I can't find it.)

Jarate

Banned
Casca isn't ethnically Japanese, Berserk isn't set in Japan, whitewashing isn't an exclusively American issue (people of color live around the entire world), how is "they are making her Japanese" not a problem?

Im not implying it isnt a problem, but saying they're trying to make her look white and whitewash her are silly when it's clearly a japanese product and she is clearly meant to therefore look more japanese.

claiming she's whitewashed or made to be whiter makes you look silly tbh.

9b9741771b6bd149fb583353af174ff9fbfa460f0ced9150feef206a9bf640f6.jpg

ckohler

Only ARV that was super drawn out to me was
fishman island
but that was just not a very good arc in general.

I've heard several people say this so I went in thinking it was going to be bad and actually really enjoyed it, more than some other arcs. Two parts in particular got me teary eyed.

Jarate

Banned
I've heard several people say this so I went in thinking it was going to be bad and actually really enjoyed it, more than some other arcs. Two parts in particular got me teary eyed.

Fishman Island isnt bad in shonen standards, but it has 2 major issues with it

It was the first arc post timeskip, and people were hype to see everyone fight super badly, Luffy is basically the only one who got a real fight and it was very clear that Hodie was shit compared to Luffy and only had advantages due to the random steroids shit, and them being in water

Hodie Jones is also kind of a bad villain and wasnt really related at all to the overall plot at all.

That One Piece arc was what made me drop the anime. I already thought the arc was bad and drawn out in the manga, and the anime was making it even worse. One day, I found that I had fallen behind on the show, but then I realized I didn't actually want to watch the episodes I missed, so I stopped.

Anybody else thinks its bullshit that Crunchyroll didn't get the streaming rights for Kabaneri? Sheesh I like Amazon but for some reason they thought streaming it at the lowest quality possible would be just a fantastic idea.

zulux21

Anybody else thinks its bullshit that Crunchyroll didn't get the streaming rights for Kabaneri? Sheesh I like Amazon but for some reason they thought streaming it at the lowest quality possible would be just a fantastic idea.

nope, not at all.
Amazon paid a crap ton of money to get the rights to Kabaneri (and a number of other shows)

it's a huge deal they made to get the rights to stream it so it's not surprising at all that crunchyroll that has a net worth of less than amazon spends on toilet paper in a year couldn't afford to also get the rights to stream it.

we should just be glad that
A. they could get the rights for a home video release.
and
B. with the dub it has a very high chance of eventually coming to toonami.

nope, not at all.
Amazon paid a crap ton of money to get the rights to Kabaneri (and a number of other shows)

it's a huge deal they made to get the rights to stream it so it's not surprising at all that crunchyroll that has a net worth of less than amazon spends on toilet paper in a year couldn't afford to also get the rights to stream it.

and

Are they simulcasting other shows as well?

zulux21

Are they simulcasting other shows as well?

yeah the got the rights to stream all the shows a certain company has (can't remember which one) this season they will be streaming battery.

Amazon recently signed a deal with Fuji TV that will bring series from its Noitamina programming block to Prime members.

apparently before this deal was struck ERASED was the show in the slot.

source

nope, not at all.

and

I wouldn't say there's a high chance at all considering Crunchyroll runs a competing service; they could put those differences aside for the sake of potential Blu-ray sales, but I don't expect it nor do I think it's likely.

yeah the got the rights to stream all the shows a certain company has (can't remember which one) this season they will be streaming battery.

apparently before this deal was struck ERASED was the show in the slot.

source

Oh, that makes sense considering that Kabaneri was part of the Noitamina block.

zulux21

I wouldn't say there's a high chance at all considering Crunchyroll runs a competing service; they could put those differences aside for the sake of potential Blu-ray sales, but I don't expect it nor do I think it's likely.

it's no more of a competing service than funimation's is. (and a good chunk of the toonami shows come from funimation)

showing a show on toonami would have basically zero negative effect on crunchyroll because there is actually very little competing service there. one is an on demand service and the other is a block that people have to time their lives around to watch. there is almost no one who would suddenly not sub to crunchyroll because a few of their shows also happened to be on TV.

on the other hand, you could potentially get a number of subs by advertising during that block, and allowing people who miss a week to be able to go to your site and watch it.

there really isn't any logical reason for crunchy not to try to get their dubs on toonami. it won't hurt them at all, it could only possibly help them.

zulux21

Crunchyroll has aired ads during Toonami. Not often but a couple times.

if they got iron fortress on there no doubt the advertising they are doing would increase :p
meanwhile toonami would have a show that could likely attract people like attack on titan did as at the very least the show makes for great trailers :p

I mean I can only think of two reasons why crunchy would go big with dubs right away.

A. they are trying to line up TV deals which given gintama already seems to have one seems likely

or

B. the head of crunchyroll is actually a huge fan of dubs and wants to own these shows dubbed and is hoping to merely break even in the process :p

it's no more of a competing service than funimation's is. (and a good chunk of the toonami shows come from funimation)

showing a show on toonami would have basically zero negative effect on crunchyroll because there is actually very little competing service there. one is an on demand service and the other is a block that people have to time their lives around to watch. there is almost no one who would suddenly not sub to crunchyroll because a few of their shows also happened to be on TV.

on the other hand, you could potentially get a number of subs by advertising during that block, and allowing people who miss a week to be able to go to your site and watch it.

there really isn't any logical reason for crunchy not to try to get their dubs on toonami. it won't hurt them at all, it could only possibly help them.

There is and always will be value in one place being the exclusive destination for a show; it gives incentive to use their service that doesn't happen if they split their show between streaming and TV. And as a result, there is absolutely reason to view it in competition with Toonami. Streaming services aren't just being petty when they get exclusive rights to a show that keeps it off TV.

Kabaneri is maybe a bit of a special case since I'm not even sure if Crunchyroll is doing anything but dubbing and releasing the Blu-Ray. But I doubt it's a coincidence that fewer and fewer of Toonami's shows have been recent Funimation pickups since they started pushing broadcast dubs; of those, we know that Attack on Titan was very, very expensive, and Dimension W was a show Funimation invested in that pretty much no one cared about and really benefited from TV exposure.

Seda

With Hunter X Hunter on the block, Toonami is going to be inevitably acquiring less shows than it has been anyway. Making the likely assumption that Toonami is getting Buu Kai, and also assuming the rerun slot stays, that's only 2 rotating shows for a while. Not to mention Samurai Jack has to fit in somewhere.

There really was no doubt One Punch Man was going to air at some point, due to its popularity/appeal and, well, the type of show it is. From my perspective as a plebeian casual, stuff like Kabaneri or Ushio&Tora are not nearly as prevalent in general mind-share and I'd say their chances are much more in doubt (but not impossible, obviously).

ckohler

With Hunter X Hunter on the block, Toonami is going to be inevitably acquiring less shows than it has been anyway. Making the likely assumption that Toonami is getting Buu Kai, and also assuming the rerun slot stays, that's only 2 rotating shows for a while. Not to mention Samurai Jack has to fit in somewhere.

There really was no doubt One Punch Man was going to air at some point, due to its popularity/appeal and, well, the type of show it is. From my perspective as a plebeian casual, stuff like Kabaneri or Ushio&Tora are not nearly as prevalent in general mind-share and I'd say their chances are much more in doubt (but not impossible, obviously).

You guys might not agree but I think it would be neat to have My Hero Academia replace One Punch Man when it ends. Two different takes on super heros. They are both just 13 episodes long.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Maybe OPM's replacement will be announced at SDCC.

& I'd be content with MHA replacing OPM. Heck, I imagine they might try to aim for shorter shows now since they got so many long-runners at the moment, though maybe save for Gundam.

Raxus

I am fairly confident Jack will replace OPM. Timing is just too perfect and it gives it enough time to complete its run AND have a marathon.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

At this rate they'll have clawed back 11:00pm by this time next year.

Grexeno

I am fairly confident Jack will replace OPM. Timing is just too perfect and it gives it enough time to complete its run AND have a marathon.
One Punch Man will end on October 8 after the basically-sure-thing Labor Day marathon. Even assuming no Halloween marathon, Samurai Jack wouldn't be able to finish out its 10 episodes before the late December marathons. It would go into 2017.

I don't think they want the final season of Jack to be dealing with constant marathons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom