• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JunJul16| You Thought It Was Dragon Ball Super, But It Was ME, DIO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

I feel my post a few weeks ago about "I'm surprised nobody is freaking out about black L it seems they got to white washed Light and stopped reading to complain" since the new L set photos has the reaction I was waiting for days/weeks ago. I stand by what I said back then, no issue with the race changes for this version if the film is done well.

They already did a live action movie that was fairly faithful to the source material and had an all Japanese cast. It was kinda terrible, so yeah, basically reimagining the entire thing is the right thing to do

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Good morning everyone. Pretty decent night.

Dragon Ball Z Kai:
The ultimate dick measuring contest. Smug-ass Vegeta vs Smug-ass Cell.
Also Goku & Gohan enter the time chamber.

Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans:
Ah, politically driven violence. The best kind of violence!
More of Tekkadan gets in on the action, especially now that there's space battles. Gotta love a Gundam space battle.

Hunter x Hunter:
Thankfully, this is Leorio's lowest moment. It's all uphill for him.
Oh and don't fuck with Killua, holy shit. Fun fact about that, in the manga, there was no bag, and he crushed his heart. A kids manga!

Naruto Shippuden:
Zzzzzzz really don't care for Team Heavy.

One Piece:
Luffy's personality is way too strong, making Oars so much like him.
More Brook backstory. Interesting thing about the flashback fight with Ryuma, in the manga, it ends with Brook getting stabbed in the eye socket (since he doesn't have eyes).

Samurai Champloo:
In an odd way, this series ended with both a downer and in an uplifting way.
Overall, I can see why this series is considered a classic. Beautifully animated with great moments of comedy and emotion, excellent voice work (especially for 2004), and just another notch in why Watanabe is a genius. I hope he does another series soon.

Soulflarz

Banned
oh also missed this last night

It helps to watch it in a block because slow episodes can be offset by other shows that night, such as Champloo tonight (and Gundam and HxH were pretty good too). I know OP will ramp back up at some point.

Agreed. Marathoning it at a steady pace (4ep a day) when Bass told me to was super weird. One moment my 4 episodes of the day covered nothing, while at other times I wanted to watch 10 in a row.

Grexeno

Next week on Toonami:
2:00 - One Piece - 353 - A Man's Promise Never Dies!! To the Friend Waiting Under the Distant Sky
6CglO6i.gif

I may be crazy in placing logic in something like One Piece, but I don't get Perona. Why bother having Kumacy in the first place if she hates his voice? If this was a random soul, I can understand the contradiction of her keeping something she considers cute but has a voice she can't stand.

I'm surprised she never orders him to use some other form of communication. Like writing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I may be crazy in placing logic in something like One Piece, but I don't get Perona. Why bother having Kumacy in the first place if she hates his voice? If this was a random soul, I can understand the contradiction of her keeping something she considers cute but has a voice she can't stand.

I'm surprised she never orders him to use some other form of communication. Like writing.

That's the joke.

ckohler

It's not explained in the show but Perona had a pet bear named Kumae when she was young who resembled Kumacy. Hogback made Kumacy at Perona's request, but like all zombies, it's powered by someone's shadow... In his case someone with an "uncute" voice. So, while Perona is fond of having Kumacy, she's frustrated with the voice he has... Probably because it doesn't fit the voice she expected.

Seda

quickie thoughts

DBZ - Wow some animation jank.

Gundam - I think HTown's "gundam-ass gundam" comment fits this best. "How can he move like that?!" etc. Also our first time seeing Mika/Barbatos a little vulnerable and having several other characters (Orga, Eugene, Akihiro) contribute in the encounter was neat. Not sure why Hitler's betrayal was made more incredibly obvious than it already was. The love triangle kinda stinks but at least the girls acted mostly normally at the episode end (both just asking Mika if he was okay).

HxH - This was pretty predictable. I mean, I didn't expect Leorio to actually feel up a woman, but his loss due to shallow gender-related, er, weaknesses was telegraphed. Killua's bout was also easy to see coming. We knew he could and would kill people in a flash, and the over-the-top build up of Mr. super killer was clearly leading to a Worf-ing or whatever. Still not a terrible episode but I do have to retract a bit on saying the show subverted expectations a little.

Champloo - I felt the encounter with Fuu and her dad was satisfying, appropriate, and appropriately melancholy. There was a good mix of "disappointment" and relief (followed by despair), and you could see in Fuu's body language. Some good voice acting too on Kari's part. The obvious criticisms are that Mugen's opponent kinda came out of nowhere and I wish it was a little bit more established there, and Jin's last-ditch self-sacrifice strategy turning out all a-okay is a little weak, but I'm not too disappointment everyone survived.

Shippuden - nah

One Piece - a couple of blah episodes in a row. Seeing the Brook/Ryuma event 5 years ago didn't seem totally necessary, most of that the audience could already gather from implication. Not too bummed though as most One Piece arcs stall in the middle a bit.

BBboy20

Ahhh, the semi-cold Champloo OP. Lets end this, one more time...
cowboy_bebop_t.jpg

White Castle is fucking disgusting
I ate there once like 12 years ago, I think.

No doubt they will first episode.
I just hope they have a good cut after.
I don't even know why they keep Kai around when it's most likely OPM's OP is way more popular.

100 push ups, 100 sit ups, 100 squats, and a 10 km run
maxresdefault.jpg

i have no problems with these fade cuts, at all. Y'all just whiners.
But this OP makes you feel the rush of blood within you.

The moon was destroyed by a yellow, octopus-like alien.

QUICK, WE GOTTA FIGURE OUT HOW TO KEEP THIS OTHER GIRL AROUND.
I was thinking of a green, bug-like alien.

The OST is actually rather underrated.
Yeah, very post-modern for an anime.

jesus christ it's Jason Bourne

should have been the title
1126_zpsf9229eba.gif

Will find out in a week if OPM lives up to the hype. The last few shows I've seen that anime fans had hyped up were underwhelming to bad (i.e. SAO, Attack on Titan, Kill la Kill).
Well, I'll just say that it's not most stories.

Essentially, it is based on a manga that runs in Weekly Shonen Jump
It's a kids show in the same way JoJo and One Piece are kids shows.
Fucking what?

50 hours of waiting. Good luck on that.

He crushes it in the manga too.
The adaptation being smarter then the source material?

Congratulations you played youtself
nzrqrhP_zps693a957d.gif

Mugen just got the luckiest fucking kill in the world.
Or is it?

ku-medium_zps553276a3.gif

This is "San Francisco" by Midicronica.
That's rather neat after my trip last month. Especially when the lead singer of the Y Axes loves Bebop.

Who's gonna save her when she gets kidnapped now?
Herself?

A reminder that Shinichiro Watanabe is a genius.
Makes me glad Bebop is my favorite anime ever.

Good End <3

I have a feeling everyone lived here in part as a subversion of how Bebop ended. Obviously I can't prove that but that's what I've always figured anyway.

I'm assuming the Shoganate leaves them alone because the Sunflower Samurai is dead? Though you'd think they'd want revenge since they lost one of their best men. Perhaps not the biggest deal on the world but its is a bit of a loose end.
They killed off their bast man. Like, may as well not bother.

And then mugen went to Kyoto and found that one chick who fell for him.
Guess they never went back to that checkpoint.

3th9i1e.gif

Seriously though, the first couple episodes were AMAZING. The directing was great and the soundtrack was fantastic. Definitely lives up to other Watanabe show soundtracks. If only the writing had anywhere near the same quality...
I should watch his other two-non action shows but...you have any opinion on why that went downhill?

Sequel to Divergent.
There was going to be four movies, but this one bombed so hard that they're only going to do three.
Just because Harry Potter split its last book into two movies doesn't mean every book adaptation series need to do that. Looking at you Hunger Games.
Mockingbird stretched?

Jesus, this episode is still going?
IFKR!?

Hahahahahaha! You just wait.

I miss SBT. I hope that after Samurai Jack, Adult Swim can bring this show back.
Has anybody asked Gendy about that?

This is kinda random, but I think one of the best portrayals of young romance in Japanese media is Valkyria Chronicles. Welkin and Alicia establish a believable person-to-person relationship before feelings for each other start to develop. It entirely skips the usual 'awkward crush' phase (the first sign of affection is Alicia leaning on Welkin's shoulder, and he accepts it - no awkwardness). It just feels actually human and real in ways most portrayals don't.

Wait, really? That was back in 2008...man, Japanese entertainment still has a long ways to go (though, that does feel nice I bet on the best horse).

Now I'm feeling it again:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP9rJdxmuQU
salute(1).jpg

pic03_06_b.jpg

Valkyria-Chronicles.0.0.jpg

vc4.jpg

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Fucking what?

JoJo ran in Weekly Shonen Jump, which is a magazine for kids in Japan. Meaning that Parts 1-6 (and early 7) are targeted to kids.
Granted, it did run during a time when Jump was extra violent. Showcasing Fist of the North Star, Kinnikuman, Saint Seiya

Imagine if 4Kids had to figure out how to write around last night's episode.

Of One Piece? Other than it being unclear how they'd handle zombies in general (they did Shaman King relatively well, right?), I don't remember anything they'd find bothersome.

Now, next week's episode...
they'd probably pretend they didn't skip Laboon, like how they included Miss Golden Week during that part where Vivi talked about all the Baroque Works members despite skipping Little Garden

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Nah, of Hunter x Hunter.

"UMMMM, HE DIDN'T TAKE HIS HEART, IT WAS....UM......HIS BREATH, YEAH, HE TOOK HIS BREATH AWAY"

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So it only took a crossover with Square Enix's mobile strategy to make Nintendo be big in the mobile place.

I hope after Hitman Go, Lara Croft Go, Deus Ex Go, & Pokemon Go, we get another Go collaboration. Go-Kai Watch?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
All of you people should be ashamed of keeping up with Nisekoi.
I honestly don't even know why I do. Hell, I actually watched the first season of the anime when I heard Shaft would be involved, though I was able to convince myself to not bother with S2.

I'm still hard pressed to think of any good rom-coms that Shonen Jump has published that isn't part of an action series. I can't recall I"S or Ichigo 100%, To-Love-Ru went full-on pervy, and....those are the only others I can think of.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Pfft. I wouldn't even bother looking at Nisekoi. Seems like a waste of time to me.
It kind of is. I'm sure part of the reason is Shonen Jump being all "drag this out as long as you can", but it gets real tiresome when it feels like it's finally going to make actual progress on the plot, but then it goes to square one & then filler happens with little actually changing, feeling like we're just being toyed with. At the very least, it SEEMS like it's the end game, but yes, as Soul said, it gets kind of tropey & really, there's no suspense because you KNOW it's gonna be "first girl introduced & has most screen time" because when HASN'T it been that.

Regiruler

I think the suspense of the original can easily be transplanted into a bunch of different coatings, and as they noted they have the quirk of him having his hands in his pockets down.

I've never read the manga nor watched the anime, but I saw the original live action film and liked it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom