• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JunJul16| You Thought It Was Dragon Ball Super, But It Was ME, DIO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
download.png

Ah yes, AOT is so Shojo.

Remember how Eren sparkled when he declared he would kill all the titans?

Moaradin

Man Mob Psycho was so awesome. Probably a show we'll see on Toonami next year unless some weird licensing shenanigans happen.

Having the two ONE shows airing weekly at the same time is pretty cool :)

Seda

Do we not get Parasyte ratings?

Typically, the ratings are released on Tuesdays (unless it was a holiday weekend). Zap2it.com always posts a "Cable Top 100" for Saturday, and sometimes the rerun show doesn't make the list. That's where I got the numbers from.

However, usually ProgrammingInsider - another ratings blog - posts the full Toonami ratings later in the day.

Line_HTX

It doesn't need to be like Bebop. It can stand on its own. I don't get why people insist on comparing the two just because Watanabe is directing it?

Seda

It doesn't need to be like Bebop. It can stand on its own. I don't get why people insist on comparing the two just because Watanabe is directing it?

I think, unlike Space Dandy, Samurai Champloo is more similar in ways that a comparison between the two is natural.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Watanabe + Steve Blum playing the one of the leads. The two shows really don't need to be compared.

So glad that Space Dandy was really different, and didn't have Steve Blum playing Dandy.

I think, unlike Space Dandy, Samurai Champloo is more similar in ways that a comparison between the two is natural.

This is how I've always viewed it.

Plus I think even just comparing them on the basis that they have the same director makes sense, because we do that for a ton of media. Things don't exist in a vacuum; they're often measured against similar works, as well as what a creator has previously made because that provides context as to what that creator is capable of achieving or what a piece of media could theoretically achieve compared to other stuff in the genre/medium/whatever. Nothing is ever its own thing because we've already developed a years/decades-old base of other experiences to draw from when we evaluate something, so I think it's completely natural for me to say something like "hey, the characters in Champloo weren't nearly as good as these other ones in Cowboy Bebop."

Raxus

Man that whole Champloo review segment really turned into "here are all the ways Champloo is not Bebop"

Probably Champloo's biggest weakness. Anime fans can't help but compare it to Bebop.

Glad I decided to sit out of recordings early. Went to Rifftrax tonight. I might be available over the next couple weeks but I have to check my schedule.

Crocodile

Probably Champloo's biggest weakness. Anime fans can't help but compare it to Bebop.

Right and I think that was the subtext of what Line_HTX was saying. Not that they can't or shouldn't be compared but that Champloo still stands on its own. Over the years I've heard a lot of critiques of Champloo boil down to "it didn't do thing X like Bebop ergo its inferior". I can emphasize with some of the arguments that stem from that line of thought but a lot of them feel like they miss the point or denote any deviation from the Bebop formula as an inherent negative.

Soulflarz

Banned
The bloopers were better this time around.

And wow, Femrito take 67... why couldn't they use this pitch instead?

Yep, but am curious

...is there like a secondary joke in the office with Portuguese Breakfast? Yes, the obvious joke, but between both blooper reels it's the most common recurring joke. It's not exactly a common line normally, so yeah...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I wish there was more anime bloopers, those are always great.

But yes, Champloo's biggest weakness is the fact it was following in the footsteps of what many consider a masterpiece & were expecting something of that caliber, if not even better.

Edit: Damn, Bang Zoom has some great bloopers. I lost it at "AUTOGRAPH, AUTOGRAPH!!" & "THIS IS MY GIRLY VOICE"

Right and I think that was the subtext of what Line_HTX was saying. Not that they can't or shouldn't be compared but that Champloo still stands on its own. Over the years I've heard a lot of critiques of Champloo boil down to "it didn't do thing X like Bebop ergo its inferior". I can emphasize with some of the arguments that stem from that line of thought but a lot of them feel like they miss the point or denote any deviation from the Bebop formula as an inherent negative.

Agreed. But I think I just have some kind of perfect approach when going into media where I'm not super hyped and looking for certain things. Which is why for example I can like Uncharted 3 more than 2 or like the FFXIII trilogy. Idk, this is more a games thing but I see people get way too worked up for a game on GAF and then do a complete 180 all the time. It's like, you did this to yourself lol.

For one last example kind of relevant to Champloo, my favorite director is Tarantino. When I go into his movies, I'm not expecting or looking for anything, and instead of saying "this is going to be amazing!" it's usually "please don't mess this up."

TL:DR; this comes off as" ooh look at me", but really all I'm trying to say is too much expectation can be dangerous.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Watanabe + Steve Blum playing the one of the leads. The two shows really don't need to be compared.

So glad that Space Dandy was really different, and didn't have Steve Blum playing Dandy.

Meh. As far as I'm concerned, Mugen is voiced by Kazuya Nakai.

Mizerman

Pretty much. Bebop is one of my favorite anime of all time and that will never change, but I'm not expecting every anime coming from Watanabe to behave like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom