• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JunJul16| You Thought It Was Dragon Ball Super, But It Was ME, DIO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
With Buy 2 get 1 free at B&N, I got my first manga of "Nichijou" and "Yotsuba&!". This is the most Manga I've purchased in a year in quite a while, and it feels kinda nice to get something different.

Nice end card!

It's fucking EVO week and Dub Punch premiere at the same time!

OK.

Thanks :) You guys know I'm not much of a "Minimalist" artguy, but I didn't wanna clutter up that one with too much else.

It feels weird already being KOFXIV EVO weekend soon. I feel like I set up my expectation for one more week, but it's almost like... RIGHT here. A year with so many NEW fighters here, or on the Horizon should be a great watch, and I feel like I want to give more of a chance even to games I don't own or play much yet.

One Punch Man for Shonen Jump Vs. Capcom.

..........all of his moves are just the other characters popping in & interrupting him, like Genos & Justice Rider.

I'd be OK with this, heh heh. OPM never actually HITS anyone, as he'd win too easily. You're just getting hurt by the debris of his other ongoing fights. I'd love to play a character like that in a fighter...

I may be crazy in placing logic in something like One Piece, but I don't get Perona. Why bother having Kumacy in the first place if she hates his voice? If this was a random soul, I can understand the contradiction of her keeping something she considers cute but has a voice she can't stand.

I'm surprised she never orders him to use some other form of communication. Like writing.

One Piece jokes... really often aren't funny to me! This is why I love the Pirate Musou games; they just focus on making everyone awesome warriors. I like Perona much more as a character I learned about through Kaizoku Musou 2, rather than someone I'd be introduced to within the anime itself, y'know?

It always makes me feel a bit off, because the popularity of One Piece itself says it's comedy and often odd-as-hell art must be really, REALLY appealing, more than I naturally give it credit for.

quickie thoughts
HxH - This was pretty predictable. I mean, I didn't expect Leorio to actually feel up a woman, but his loss due to shallow gender-related, er, weaknesses was telegraphed. Killua's bout was also easy to see coming. We knew he could and would kill people in a flash, and the over-the-top build up of Mr. super killer was clearly leading to a Worf-ing or whatever. Still not a terrible episode but I do have to retract a bit on saying the show subverted expectations a little.

Yeah, HxH isn't anything special to me yet. And I really... don't mind Leorio feeling up an "evil" inmate, as it's one of the few things the show actually seems to make the characters act appropriately annoyed / confused / disgusted with. And anime has SO many lopsided momemnts where heroes are either complete 100% all the time horny, or 100% not interested ever no matter what, that it actually felt kinda nice to see Leorio give in for a bit, and then get back to more-or-less business as usual. He's a Teenager, I expect about as much from one is a life-or-death situation.

The show is good at what it does, but it's not well rounded for me (yet), and I'm really not impressed by a kill(ua)-crazy assassin child killing someone with embarrassingly small effort. It feel AGK level edgy, especially with that much-exaggerated buildup. I would have preferred at least a bit of No-Sell'n on Kilua's part first, letting the evil crazy adult do SOMETHING before he turned on Shonen's rules of making people more worthwhile the younger they are.

Champloo - I felt the encounter with Fuu and her dad was satisfying, appropriate, and appropriately melancholy. There was a good mix of "disappointment" and relief (followed by despair), and you could see in Fuu's body language. Some good voice acting too on Kari's part. The obvious criticisms are that Mugen's opponent kinda came out of nowhere and I wish it was a little bit more established there, and Jin's last-ditch self-sacrifice strategy turning out all a-okay is a little weak, but I'm not too disappointment everyone survived

At least Mugen's past is still kinda-tied up with the biggest part of his life we saw (his time with the pirates / the brother and sister). It is a bit convoluted that everyone finds them all at one point, and the "falling action" of the last episodes didn't feel as coincidental as BEBOP, which edged it's way to the finale pretty masterfully.

I'm a bit more miffed that Mugen survived every bomb of the Edo period blowing up in his face, rather than Jin surviving a single stab wound. More than death, I'd actually have rather seen some kinda crippling injuries / life changing experiences that made them act a bit different in their final moments together.

It's always nice to see more works in the genre that became know as "Cowboy Bebop". It's shows like this that actually define what I want from a more mature "Toonami", as they feel like they embrace the stupidity and "OOOO!" moments of pure shonen, while still not making me shake my head at things that are overly childish in nature.

cowboy_bebop_t.jpg

*brofist*

Tenumi

Banned
With Buy 2 get 1 free at B&N, I got my first manga of "Nichijou" and "Yotsuba&!". This is the most Manga I've purchased in a year in quite a while, and it feels kinda nice to get something different.

Hmm... sounds like the perfect time for me to finally use my gift card I got for Christmas.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Between that and the Paul Robertson bumps, it's really weird to have bumps that have astronomically better quality animation than many of the shows...

Edit: Hey, why haven't I seen ones like Yaki-Gote during Toonami? Seems I've missed quite a few good ones.
Edit 2: Gundam Sounds on a Not-Eva... yeah, ok, this one should have shown up, too.

Can we get more artsy bumps, and less eh-tier music videos?

Hmm... sounds like the perfect time for me to finally use my gift card I got for Christmas.

Goes on until July 19th / 20th, in store and online, respectively. Might hav to go back for one more round myself!

Every time I think of "Nichijou", I think of "Ichijo" from Pani Poni Dash...

80257.jpg

At least that's not really too far off...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I've read Yotsuba via my local library, that's a good series. I'm semi-happy Nichijou got its manga localized, but MAAAAAAAAAN I would gladly pay for a Blu-Ray of the anime, can't believe someone like Funimation didn't pick it up after Bandai stopped bringing over anime.

Might take advantage of that deal & FINALLY nab Black Lagoon volumes 1, 2, & 10 since a year ago, I got 3 through 9 via B1G1 deal the next town over.

.....however, I also need to sell/give away most of my manga since it's either incomplete & will stay that way, or I just don't want them anymore. Off the top of my head:

- Cowboy Bebop (both the 3 volume & Shooting Star)
- Excel Saga
- Read or Die
- Full Metal Panic & Fumoffu
- Gintama
- Eva: Angelic Days
- Samurai Champloo
- Sgt. Frog
- Certain Scientific Railgun

Also have Bo-Bobo & Zetsubou-Sensei, but I might keep those.

Line_HTX

Thanks :) You guys know I'm not much of a "Minimalist" artguy, but I didn't wanna clutter up that one with too much else.

It feels weird already being KOFXIV EVO weekend soon. I feel like I set up my expectation for one more week, but it's almost like... RIGHT here. A year with so many NEW fighters here, or on the Horizon should be a great watch, and I feel like I want to give more of a chance even to games I don't own or play much yet.

Saturday is going to be so chaotic with everything happening at the same time. I dunno if I can keep up with every game I like, haha

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I've read Yotsuba via my local library, that's a good series. I'm semi-happy Nichijou got its manga localized, but MAAAAAAAAAN I would gladly pay for a Blu-Ray of the anime, can't believe someone like Funimation didn't pick it up after Bandai stopped bringing over anime.

Good to hear! I've not seen the Nichijou anime, but I get the feeling it must work quite well as one, similar to Azumanga (Which I also haven't fully seen...)

.....however, I also need to sell/give away most of my manga since it's either incomplete & will stay that way, or I just don't want them anymore. Off the top of my head:

- Cowboy Bebop (both the 3 volume & Shooting Star)
- Excel Saga
- Read or Die
- Full Metal Panic & Fumoffu
- Gintama
- Eva: Angelic Days
- Samurai Champloo
- Sgt. Frog
- Certain Scientific Railgun

Also have Bo-Bobo & Zetsubou-Sensei, but I might keep those.
I should probably finish Negima! one of these days, but I'm quite a different person / age since I started it, lol. I also never finished Chobits... so many re-releases of series now, It feels odd to have a bunch of series that are SO much harder to continue. But I never willingly get rid of anything...

I had planned to start R.O.D when it was first releasing, doh. The DVD of the OVA was one of the few things I purchased without any prior intent / knowledge at the time, and I totally fell in love with The Paper. Have the TV series on indefinite hiatus too, since I wanted to get the editions that came with the pencil boards inside...

Saturday is going to be so chaotic with everything happening at the same time. I dunno if I can keep up with every game I like, haha

Yeah, quite hard to keep up with EVERYTHING happening at such similar times. I'm at least glad we have much better collections of highlights and stuff now. People re-upload stream highlights within minutes of them actually occurring, and Twitch's Clip feature is pretty nice, too.

It's best to see stuff live, but at least now if I miss out, I don't feel like I missed out nearly as badly as just a few years back.

Mizerman

Do I want to know my gimmick

1st gimmick: Blue chipper face. May or may not be related to famous wrestling family. Announcers will be constantly talking about your "potential." Turns heel later as the hell blue chipper and spends time working with another established heel.

Seda

DRAGON BALL Z KAI 11:30 PM 1,157 0.5
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM:I.B.O 12:00 AM 943 0.4
HUNTER X HUNTER 12:30 AM 931 0.4
SAMURAI CHAMPLOO 1:00 AM 840 0.4
NARUTO: SHIPPUDEN 1:30 AM 744 0.3
ONE PIECE 2:00 AM 647 0.3

Line_HTX

943 K isn't bad just because there was UFC on

Now, maybe that'll change since I don't think anything significant is on TV Saturday night.

Fucking all of SFV is going to run past midnight to get to Top 8, lmao

943 K isn't bad just because there was UFC on

Now, maybe that'll change since I don't think anything significant is on TV Saturday night.

Fucking all of SFV is going to run past midnight to get to Top 8, lmao

My stream monstering/anime watching skills gonna have to be on point this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom