• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JunJul16| You Thought It Was Dragon Ball Super, But It Was ME, DIO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Certain elements like Kana & the last few episodes didn't sit well, but I would say it was overall positive, despite quite a few low points in the series.

Unfortunately, the Sentai dub, while overall decent & much better than the Akame one, still doesn't hit all the notes and a few moments aren't as effective as they should be due to the acting.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Consensus was that it was "alright"
The last few episodes dragged and there were some clear character problems that were a result of its late-80's/early-90's origins, but it was an enjoyable enough series.

Ah interesting. Yes I think I have heard something about the final moment in particular being disappointing. Wish I didn't hear that because now I will be waiting for it lol.

I'm digging the show so far. I really appreciate Shinichi not acting like the average anime protagonist. It seems like he has always handed the situations he is faced with the way you would want him to emotion wise (at least prior to the heart thing). He just needs to tell Murano the truth already God damn.

Consensus was that it was "alright"
The last few episodes dragged and there were some clear character problems that were a result of its late-80's/early-90's origins, but it was an enjoyable enough series.

I guess I appreciate them sticking to the manga more than anything. We don't need a Parasyte: Brotherhood down the line.

TOONAMI needs more Mad House shows on the block. I'm getting too used to shows looking good.

Agreed!

Jarate

Banned
It also hurt that it was on after AGK and we had a lot of post AGK sentai hate afterwards

I wouldn't consider it a bad show, it does some things really well, but it has some very bad flaws in it.

The ending was also pretty disappointing tbh. So we also have a lot of post ending dislike

It definitely made me want to read the manga at some point, same with dimension wumbo

HxH is a better show then Parasyte, but that mostly has to do with animation, production, music and dub.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It also hurt that it was on after AGK and we had a lot of post AGK sentai hate afterwards

I wouldn't consider it a bad show, it does some things really well, but it has some very bad flaws in it.

The ending was also pretty disappointing tbh. So we also have a lot of post ending dislike

It definitely made me want to read the manga at some point, same with dimension wumbo

HxH is a better show then Parasyte, but that mostly has to do with animation, production, music and dub.

HxH will surpass it storywise with great haste once the exam arc is finally done.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The recap episode of HxH hurts even more when you consider we JUST had that marathon 2 weeks ago, and by the time it airs, it'll have been 3 weeks since the marathon.

.....so between the marathon & the recap, we got to witness TWO new episodes.

The first season of Rebels is pretty bleh. The second season is pretty good.

Just like The Clone Wars, this series is taking a while to get going, but it's still pretty fun.

ckohler

It didn't occur to me so many people here had only seen the 4Kids version of early One Piece so it's no wonder there would be so much confusion over Laboon last night. I wonder which version Seda has seen if any?

Anyway, man, skipping episode 62 was such a astronomical mistake on 4Kids part.

Not only did the original episode introduce Laboon's story (which at the time just seemed like a simple little one-off story), it was also the first appearance of the characters of Crocus, Mr. 9 and Miss Wednesday... the last of which was actually Vivi in disguise. So, even Vivi's canonical first appearance was axed by 4Kids! Not to mention Crocus who I won't even elaborate on.

AND IF THAT WASN'T ENOUGH, the Laboon episode was also the first introduction to the Log Pose which was ultimately given to them by Crocus. In the stupid 4Kids edit, the Log Pose just suddenly appears onboard the ship!, and the explanation of how it works and the physics of the Grand Line are told through invented flashbacks by the crew instead of by Crocus who warns them of the dangers ahead. Ugh.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Parasyte got better and better each week until the very end which was a bit flat.

I'm so glad it got picked for rerun over AGK but I doubt I would have ever fallen asleep watching that.

In fact I'm really excited over what will take the next rerun show. I hope its anything but Champloo.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
moar liek Zero Sense Dilemma.

Bummed I couldn't partake in the OT considering I got my game late thanks to the Amazon/watch situation. Probably too long of a thread to try & read everyone's reactions.

Sometimes Zonic...life just isn't fair.

I think its brilliant, but still the weakest of the series by a lot.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

ZfuqUAY.gif

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
"One Piece Treasure Cruise" mobile game totally refreshed me very well on Laboon, and Vivi's entire arch. They even have Vivi's "MIINNNNAAAAA!" Speech fully voiced in it.

I love seeing Abridged, game-story versions of One Piece, and other anime tales in general. I actually find new respect for a lot of situations that were so convoluted and broken apart before, that I viewed them in a different light the first time.

I also remembered how AWESOME it felt to see Gohan's hair glow gold (and SSJ3 long) for the first time on DBZ last night. Sure, NOW it's part the course, but at the time... the shivers were real.

Having just played KakaGaiden in UNS4 not too long ago, seeing Kakashi give away their positon by turning on a storm behind a log was silly, but still fun. Hearing Tony Oliver as Minato always feels good. YOUR MASTER IS SHISHIGAMI BANG! USE FU RIN KA ZAN!!! *ahem*

I've mentioned I enjoyed Parasyte due to remembering it from Tokyopop / MixxZine back in the day, and I still really like it's music. I actually still feel bad for Kana, because she basically just died doing the stupid stuff many teens get to live through otherwise. It's interesting to watch Shinichi agonize over feeling inhuman for not crying... after he did an OK job or showing Rage and concern for Kana's death. Imagine how much more awkward her death would have been if he coldly told her "As you are soon to expire, you no longer have a use to me. Your emerging power could have benefit us both, if you simply used caution. This is a huge lost to me, and a shame that you were so inconsiderate, for you could have furthered my goals." LoL. No, Shin'chi, you're still fairly human, even while outdoing Kilua in violent heart rips.

OPM was nice and glorious. Beautiful to see in motion. I tried to do the manga style SOME justice in the sketch dump! But I kinda sucked on his face, lol. The voice actor references for the homage enemies was pretty smartly done.

I generally enjoy Gundam, but this show is oddly still trying to seriously catch me. I'm still more concerned about liking some of the designs, and the music, than I am about any of the deep goings-on of the characters. EVO didn't help, either.

HxH... *shrug* Gon's strategy to get through everything was nice, at least. I almost feel like they should worry that Kilua playing with a fishing pole and hook by Leorio might actually get him KILLED. That guy HAD to die at the end, this show can't go on without filling in a death quota! I still refuse to believe Tonpa has survived multiple years of this. Especially without a severe disfiguring disability or something.

----

On EVO news, I'm kinda salty now, Dizzy will be joing Revelator, and I don't have it yet. But I'll play a demo for a Kind OF game I don't think I need to mention by name, so that's cool too.

Now I'm gonna shut up so I can listen to Harada and Markman.

I've mentioned I enjoyed Parasyte due to remembering it from Tokyopop / MixxZine back in the day, and I still really like it's music. I actually still feel bad for Kana, because she basically just died doing the stupid stuff many teens get to live through otherwise. It's interesting to watch Shinichi agonize over feeling inhuman for not crying... after he did an OK job or showing Rage and concern for Kana's death. Imagine how much more awkward her death would have been if he coldly told her "As you are soon to expire, you no longer have a use to me. Your emerging power could have benefit us both, if you simply used caution. This is a huge lost to me, and a shame that you were so inconsiderate, for you could have furthered my goals." LoL. No, Shin'chi, you're still fairly human, even while outdoing Kilua in violent heart rips.

I really think that like 90% of the emotional issues he is facing is PTSD from having a talking hand, knowing the cause of the thousands of people dying around him but not able to come out about it, and having his possessed mom attempt to kill him, not from anything Migi did to his heart (which is just his scapegoat).

It's funny to talk about it like this because everyone is reading and knows whether I'm right or wrong lol. I just need to get this out somewhere.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I really think that like 90% of the emotional issues he is facing is PTSD from having a talking hand, knowing the cause of the thousands of people dying around him but not able to come out about it, and having his possessed mom attempt to kill him, not from anything Migi did to his heart (which is just his scapegoat).

It's funny to talk about it like this because everyone is reading and knows whether I'm right or wrong lol. I just need to get this out somewhere.

Honestly, it's an interesting thought. Shinichi scapegoats his potential inhumanity for changing him, refuses to embrace it, and lives through the issues.

Kana embraces whatever power she had, shows no fear of how creepy or inhuman it might be, and ends up dying for it.

I think the show does try to throw a bunch of misdirection on what the real enemy is, and even though it gets heavy-handed on this concept at times, watching it play with our expectations is at least entertaining, and a bit different than the "SHONEN SHONEN SHONEN AREN'T THESE GUYS AWESOME!" that many other shows offer us.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Sanji's voice was stupid but NOTHING compared to the hatchet job they did to Usopp's character.

What they did to Usopp was heart-breaking.
"He's the comic relief, so make him the comic relief ALL THE TIME"
"But he has several character moments that flesh him out and make him strong in spirit"
"CUT THEM OUT! THE CLOWNS CAN'T HAVE CHARACTER! WE'RE MAKING A FUCKING KIDS SHOW HERE! AAAAAAAH!"

ckohler

True story: the lyrics for Binks' Sake were written around the same time that the Laboon mini-arc was written.

And Brook was also planned for the Straw Hats basically from the beginning, though his design went through a few changes.

That's actually not the craziest long play Oda made around that time, though. A character appeared on the cover of Shounen Jump around the time of the Laboon arc that we won't see on Toonami until 3 arcs from now.

Awesome. I didn't know about the song being written that early. Was that revealed in an SBS?

As for the character that first appeared on a cover, was it
Camie
?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome. I didn't know about the song being written that early. Was that revealed in an SBS?

As for the character that first appeared on a cover, was it
Camie
?

It was
Boa Hancock

Camie did appear well in advance in the manga as well, though, as she was part of Hatchan's cover story arc, which was never animated. That's not QUITE as far back as Hancock's first appearance, but not too far off, actually. Her debut cover story appearance occurred near the end of the Arabasta Arc in 2001.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom