• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JunJul16| You Thought It Was Dragon Ball Super, But It Was ME, DIO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorillaz

Holy shit seeing her bite on the blade reminded me how OP Roberta was in that ova. Straight super solider one arming ARs and shit.

Thread needs more life mid week make man god post bleach gifs or something

Man God

Non-Canon Member
sqIwDug.gif

(There wasn't that much nudity or sex in the OVA. Felt similar to Hellsing Ultimate. IIRC One quick topless scene, Revy in her underwear, Roberta getting frisky before killing a dude.)
Two topless scenes and a depiction of child rape.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I keep forgetting I need to buy volumes 1, 2, & 10 of Black Lagoon since I have 3 through 9 & haven't touched them because I prefer reading in order.

Moving status: Seems I've secured my new apartment, they'll do a compliance check next week, then call to schedule when I'll be moving in. Glad I kept the packaging that my TOM statue was sent in.....now to decide if I want to put all 60+ amiibo back in their boxes to put into a bigger box...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Aaugh!

...Oh well.

Actually searching through the news sites reveals that return was last year and was just him finishing the cover for volume 10. Which somehow makes this whole thing even more annoying. And Berserk fans think they have a right to complain.

Last I heard he pit out a shit ton of pages on his Twitter of future chapters and is waiting to find a publisher for volume 11

Thst shit ain't ever coming out

No way. How does no one want Black Lagoon? Maybe he's doing volume by volume releases now?

EDIT: I found a summary of a Q&A he did and apparently he's working on new chapters. His magazine just put out a Revvy trading card for a card game they do so I'm not buying the he has no publisher rumor.

EDIT: Found a post on twitter, seems like he's doing volume by volume now for whatever reason. Looks like he had a rough draft done in the spring. He thinks the next volume will hit in 2017. If my translation is right.

Moaradin

Black Lagoon doing poorly still blows my mind. If any show seems tailor-made for Adult Swim, it would be that one. I will never understand the general Toonami audience.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"Give us more hardcore stuff, Demarco!"

*airs Hellsing Ultimate & Black Lagoon*

"noooooooooo, not like that, we don't wanna watch that"

What a time to be alive.
Detective Pikachu live action movie

Black Lagoon doing poorly still blows my mind. If any show seems tailor-made for Adult Swim, it would be that one. I will never understand the general Toonami audience.

Looking back on my thoughts when I first watched Black Lagoon subbed years ago, I found it dark and dreary, and boring at several points, and I had to force myself to get through it. The action was alright, but I preferred shonen style action. It was easier to get through the second time around on Toonami, but I'm not sure if it's because I already knew what was going to happen, because it was in English, or because my tastes changed.

It literally seems tailor made for American audiences, shit makes 0 sense.

Well, I mean:
* People who want a live action action movie would watch a live action action movie.
* Anime fans typically look for shonen action in anime.

Plus, the show's darker than what many people would have wanted from a late night anime.

Gorillaz

Actually searching through the news sites reveals that return was last year and was just him finishing the cover for volume 10. Which somehow makes this whole thing even more annoying. And Berserk fans think they have a right to complain.

No way. How does no one want Black Lagoon? Maybe he's doing volume by volume releases now?

EDIT: I found a summary of a Q&A he did and apparently he's working on new chapters. His magazine just put out a Revvy trading card for a card game they do so I'm not buying the he has no publisher rumor.

EDIT: Found a post on twitter, seems like he's doing volume by volume now for whatever reason. Looks like he had a rough draft done in the spring. He thinks the next volume will hit in 2017. If my translation is right.

it's weird going back down this road with black lagoon because I pretty much put it to the back of my mind after I realized it wouldn't be coming out often anymore. But yea if he put out the card game then im assuming he's still good with a pub. I'm thinking tho he wants to end the series soon. Just pumping out them in mass.

It would be interesting if they got the same team of VO back for it if they do more episodes and not just manga. I think this current arc they have will be made into a OVA like Roberta's was. If it was a fast arc like Jane or the twins in season 2 he would have finished this years ago.

I think he's going the long haul on it. Like the Tokyo or the Roberta arc.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
it's weird going back down this road with black lagoon because I pretty much put it to the back of my mind after I realized it wouldn't be coming out often anymore. But yea if he put out the card game then im assuming he's still good with a pub. I'm thinking tho he wants to end the series soon. Just pumping out them in mass.

It would be interesting if they got the same team of VO back for it if they do more episodes and not just manga. I think this current arc they have will be made into a OVA like Roberta's was. If it was a fast arc like Jane or the twins in season 2 he would have finished this years ago.

I think he's going the long haul on it. Like the Tokyo or the Roberta arc.

I couldn't tell you, all I can tell you is he said Volume 11 is not the last volume.

Gorillaz

I couldn't tell you, all I can tell you is he said Volume 11 is not the last volume.

He's probably still writing hentai on the side knowing Hiroe.

Lettuce move on to more interesting questions....

Demarco where is Psycho Pass I know you read this thread

Raxus

sqIwDug.gif

(There wasn't that much nudity or sex in the OVA. Felt similar to Hellsing Ultimate. IIRC One quick topless scene, Revy in her underwear, Roberta getting frisky before killing a dude.)

That split second when you realize you are completely fucked.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Real talk: I'm not one that buys movies or TV shows on DVD/Blu-Ray, but if the LE for Black Lagoon ever goes down in price (I see it for $66 on Amazon), I will gladly buy it & finally get around to watching Roberta's Blood Trial.

....meanwhile, I'm waiting for Viz to confirm a Blu-Ray release of One Punch Man & dates for Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Seda

So, I feel that sometimes people put too much emphasis on a character's "usefulness" (although I certainly like to discuss and observe any particular character's role in a plotline), but Bleach is the king of introducing squads of loser dummies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So, I feel that sometimes people put too much emphasis on a character's "usefulness" (although I certainly like to discuss and observe any particular character's role in a plotline), but Bleach is the king of introducing squads of loser dummies.

BLEACH SPOILERS
Tsukashima and Gingo just came back and saved the day, unlike these useless goobers.

Seda

Reminding myself:

Toonami PreFlight SDCC Edition is tomorrow 8pm-10pm. Not expecting much here. Maybe a Samurai Jack tease for the next day.

Samurai Jack panel is Friday July 22, 3:15-4pm. Have to assume we get some concrete airing details.

Gorillaz

Was assuming Comic Con would be the next big road map for Jack. I can see a small trailer with a month it will come out. Or at least a date announcement.

I can see them holding back footage. This would be a good info blowout tho.

That is a mexican ass blanket if I ever saw one. They must have gotten that shit at the local flea market here. I swear that blanket is like something i'd find at a garage sale down here in Brownsvillle.

Profound sadness.

Damn, Space Dandy was great.

Put psycho pass on toonami Demarco

Yeah, surprised it hasn't been on yet.

It literally seems tailor made for American audiences, shit makes 0 sense.

Agreed, never looked at the ratings but I don't get it either if it had ratings issues, other than the time perhaps being on late like Mizerman said, like Hellsing. Both are among the shows I think of when I think perfect for Toonami.

This.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Caught up on last week's episodes.

I actually.....really liked the Gundam episode. Quite a bit.
I look forward to your reasoning as to why via podcast. I feel like it should've been a good, slower episode to let the characters breath & get some development after last week's space battle, but it just didn't click with me.

....but I also can't being myself to care about politics, be it real or fictional.

Seda

I look forward to your reasoning as to why via podcast. I feel like it should've been a good, slower episode to let the characters breath & get some development after last week's space battle, but it just didn't click with me.

....but I also can't being myself to care about politics, be it real or fictional.

The thing is....there.....really .... wasnt much politics in the episode. Just a small chat in the elevator that Kudelia agreed to meet with one of the quadrant leaders.....which we essentially already knew.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Think it was just at the beginning, but now that I'm really thinking back, it didn't seem to be as much as I thought there was.

....I think I need to start taking notes to help myself remember what happens during an episode when I'll be discussing them.

Seda

Think it was just at the beginning, but now that I'm really thinking back, it didn't seem to be as much as I thought there was.

....I think I need to start taking notes to help myself remember what happens during an episode when I'll be discussing them.

Well there was basically a decision to meet with "Teywas" (spelling?), a "Mafia" Jupiter group to get to Earth. Sounds like a long-shot type chance that has a share of danger but at this point we don't know much about those guys.

Also, I acknowledge that watching the episode alone without thread distraction may have helped to allow me to pay attention to what people were talking about.

Soulflarz

Banned
I don't remember the IBO episode
The stream being 90% broken for me nowadays is downright awful because I have two choices

-watch it and miss a lot as it buffers and reloads
-watch it subbed on funis site (they don't have IBO dubbed, even for members) and miss a lot because I can't juggle toonamigaf and watching that, and I really only want to watch it with you guys

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I honestly just remember the boys trying to learn to read & write....and we learned the name of the maid woman who maaayyybbeee possibly be a secret or double agent or not what she seems.

...though I will admit, part of the reason why I might have trouble remembering certain moments from episodes (not just Gundam) is because I might be more focused on reading reactions than the show itself.

We don't get very many shows like Space Dandy. Studio Bones deserves credit for making a show that they knew wouldn't be successful in Japan. Hell, Bones deserves credit being one of the few studios that is willing to take risks.

Seda

Some quickie Gundam thoughts. I'm not very well-worded so I apologize if I don't make any sense.

Episode 6 is a character building episode, with a touch of world/lore building. Sure, nothing really "happened", but stuff happening isn't the only element to a story. The lore building involved the "Calamity War" centuries ago and some info on Gundams as ancient suits. That stuff was okay but not really the reason I enjoyed the episode.

I find Mika to be a pretty interesting character. He at first kinda seems like a typical emotionless protag or something but he comes across just a bit different to me. He still remains pretty thoughtful to the other people, and socially cognizant even if he doesn't express it typically. "Emotionless" seems to be the wrong word because (to me) that implies he doesn't understand the 'feelings' or other people or that he doesn't care, and neither of those seem to be true. He's not selfish or self-centered. In episode 6 alone:

• he took genuine interest in what Kudelia had been doing as he passed her in the hall even though he was occupied already
  • he noticed Orga was a bit fatigued and asked him if he was tired (Orga returned the consideration)
  • he reassured Atra that he's going to be okay (because he's wearing her bracelet)
  • he openly affirmed his trust in Orga's decision making
It's perhaps somewhat difficult to explain, but I've always appreciated characters who show consideration for other characters and are perceptive to ... well ... something other than themselves - characters that show empathy. And I don't mean like, the obvious shows of compassion that arise from one character being in a life-threatening situation or something. I mean in more 'normal' situations and conversations. Mika seems to fit that but in his own way. And it doesn't seem like he's cooperating for some silly ulterior motive or something, his words and actions are about as genuine as you can get; he is seemingly just very direct in conversation, and not afraid to disagree or rub people the wrong way. He really just speaks his mind but so far has not been truly insulting to his companions. He also wasn't embarrassed that he struggled with writing nor did he get upset that other kids were teasing him. He understands that this is something he does not have skill in and he's willing to struggle, learn, and rely on Kudelia to do that.

Further, the relationship between Mika and Orga is also somewhat fascinating. Mika places /all/ of his trust into Orga, and Orga would do anything for Mika. Neither wants to let the other down. There's clearly some backstory that makes Mika so devoted to Orga but I don't think we've seen the full story yet. I'm really interested in it.

Also, Orga, the leader, isn't afraid to ask others for input. He straight up asks Biscuit "What do we do?" with regards to the Mafia situtation. Again, I feel like I don't see enough of this - one character asking another for their thoughts. So many anime (and JRPGs and whatnot) simply have the group move as a group, perhaps with similar goals but without characters /actually/ holding a conversation. Too often, dialogue is too expository, where characters are just relaying the plot. Other anime feel like the characters are talking to the audience where I feel like, in this episode of Gundam, characters were speaking to each other. The dialogue (in places) isn't focused on exposition, it feels like believable conversation these characters could actually have.

There were also a few other small things that I appreciated. I really shouldn't even need to address at all, but because so many shows fail at it, I wanted to point it out. At one point in the hanger bay, Kudelia 'low-gravity floats' over to Mika where they are talking .. he grabs her hand to steady her and allows her to set her feet. And neither said a word about it. No silly embarrassment, no "I got ya" or "be careful" or anything like that. He just quickly offered his arm to her as a balance. They've seemingly gained a level of trust with each other that they are comfortable with this. Sorry if this seems like a minor thing to dedicate sentences to but it stuck with me for some reason.

Atra and Kudelia have also, for one episode at least, seemingly gotten over whatever stupid jealously they had. Atra was happy to see Kudelia and then they cooperated in handing out food. Atra also wanted to help Kudelia with teaching. This role for Kudelia isn't especially unique or ground-breaking, but I think her realization of seeing the tribulations of these children is effective enough.

There were other elements in the episode I haven't mentioned that I enjoyed. I felt it was pretty clear early on that Ein was going to play a bigger role, especially now considering he's the only one left from that initial Gjallerhorn attack. He blames himself for Gjallerhorns failures up to this point. It looks like, as far as villains or conflict go, McGillis acts as a more bureaucratic baddie and Ein is more emotionally vested. I expect there to be some discord between the two at some point.

Also, yes, Fumitan seems to know more than she should.

Anyway I'm just blathering at this point.

Iron Blooded Orphans actually slows down action wise, not next episode, but the ones after that.

So if you like the characters, then the next couple of episodes should interest you.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Some quickie Gundam thoughts. I'm not very well-worded so I apologize if I don't make any sense.
Nah, I think you made some very good points.

I'm not sure if I'm thinking of the right term, but I would say that perhaps Mika is more...."stoic" than "emotionless"? We've seen him have actual personality, like his complete trust in Orga & anger during that scene in the corn field, so we know he's not just the deadpan, stick-in-the-mud who doesn't care about anything. He just tends to be more quiet, which I'm sure we'll learn why when we finally get a flashback to when he was younger & explaining why he's pals with Orga.

That part about Mika grabbing Kudelia's arm, I think it stuck with you because the anime just let the action speak for itself instead of having the characters comment on it. Actions can speak louder than words, and it can feel more natural when it just happens without someone bringing attention to it, especially if it's meant to show the connection between two characters.

My apologies, but when it's a more character or plot focused show like Gundam, Ghost in the Shell, etc., I tend to have a harder time expressing my opinions on them. I guess to put it bluntly, I can have lower-than-average observational or comprehension skills when it comes to analyzing things like movies or shows, especially when they're more complex like with the mentioned shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom