• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JunJul16| You Thought It Was Dragon Ball Super, But It Was ME, DIO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
2016 was amazing for Toonami:

- Gundam returns to the block
- Another reason of FLCL gets confirmed
- Samurai Champloo gets
- Hunter x Hunter actually happens
- Samurai Jack gets another season
- Intruder 3 is happening
- ONE PUNCH MAN
- JOJO RIGHT AFTER OPM, double whammy of awesomeness

............oh and Dimension W, which was the only real flop of the year.

Dimension W did quite well for itself in the ratings so it is no failure on that measure.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
oh god, I just realized.

I cannot WAIT to hear how Patrick Seitz does Dio.

...and if Viz can hurry up, maybe we can have Part 3 be a dub premiere, which would be amazing, but have a feeling maybe after S1 finishes, we'll have another shorter show & then Part 3 can air once Viz finishes.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, I saw the clip that was from....episode 5, I think, where it featured Polnareff explaining his backstory.

.....which is weird that Viz keeps his name intact, yet Namco changed it TWICE (Jean Pierre Eiffel in ASB, then AGAIN to just Jean Pierre in EoH). No idea why when Capcom & Viz are okay with keeping it.

But either way, I'm just glad we finally have an update & that they're making progress after that "test dub" from a year or so ago. Hoping for news on the Blu-ray releases.

Raxus

GREX, LET'S MAKE ANOTHER PODCAST SO WE CAN FANBOY OUT

Also sounds like it'll be the Warner Bros. dub, meaning Ichigo is plating the role of Jonathan Joestar.

Invite me along as well!

I need to be pinched to make sure I am awake. JoJo is happening!

ckohler

Can someone explain the dubbing situation with Jojo Part 1? Are there mulitiple dubs? If so, any hard evidence of which will air on Toonami?

All you Jojo fanboys and fangirls will be happy to know that I've not seen anything aside from the OP and ED.

Soulflarz

Banned
but pt1 is the worst part.

yes it's a necessary evil.
pt1 isn't awful it's just so middling that people might drop the series after "watching a whole part", thinking this show just isn't for them, while part 1 is not the reason people spazz over JoJo.

Clearly their strongest pick up ever was DBZ Kai, and it's not even close.

Also this. I love JoJo but DBZ Kai wins. OPM might outdo it in ratings by being the hypest thing, but DBZ Kai is very consistent ratings for Toonami.

zulux21

Can someone explain the dubbing situation with Jojo Part 1? Are there mulitiple dubs? If so, any hard evidence of which will air on Toonami?

All you Jojo fanboys and fangirls will be happy to know that I've not seen anything aside from the OP and ED.

There is a single dub, but the licence went from WB to Viz so some people are assuming that it will be getting redubbed with the new licence holder when in actuality that is very very unlikely to happen.

some of that hope comes because the current dub is cheesy and over the top and thus some people consider it a bad dub.
personally I found the dub to be a near perfect fit for the show as the show in general is cheesy and over the top and thus consider it a fine dub for the show :p

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm wondering how much viewership would be last having to slog through Part 1 to get to the good parts?

Part 1 is plenty entertaining in its own right, has Dio, is really fast paced, and is very short. If Jojo had started its run when Iron-Blooded Orphans did, Part 1 would already be ending in 2 weeks.

If people can get through the slogs of the middle of Attack on Titan, the cave episodes of SAO II, or any of Naruto Shippuden, then I think people can deal with Phantom Blood.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Part 1 is basically Kenshiro in Bram Stoker's Dracula.

.....I have opinions of it, but I'll wait until we finish it, which isn't long because Part 1 is only 9 episodes while Part 2 is the rest of the series.

Edit: So Part 3 all depends on how well S1 does? I don't know, feel that's kind of unfair since Part 3 is the most well-known part that basically was the start of the main stuff Jojo is known for.

Though I'd be fine with having a show in between S1 & S2 since S2 is double the length & it'd be nice to have a "break" show in between.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hmm, I can't see them planning it well. OPM ends Oct. 18th, right?

Oct. 25th: ep. 1
Nov. 5th: ep. 2
Nov. 12th: ep. 3
Nov. 19th: ep. 4
Nov. 26th: no new episode, marathon for Thanksgiving
Dec. 3rd: ep. 5
Dec. 10th: Ep. 6 or beginning of Dec. marathons
17th, 24th, & 31st: Marathons.

So we'd be about 2/3rds done with Part 1 by the time the holiday marathons begin, & this is assuming we don't have a Halloween marathon like last year

Raxus

Part 1 is plenty entertaining in its own right, has Dio, is really fast paced, and is very short. If Jojo had started its run when Iron-Blooded Orphans did, Part 1 would already be ending in 2 weeks.

If people can get through the slogs of the middle of Attack on Titan, the cave episodes of SAO II, or any of Naruto Shippuden, then I think people can deal with Phantom Blood.

JoJo part 1 is one of the weakest parts but a weak JoJo is still JoJo and there is enough entertainment, wrrrry's, and frog punching to keep viewers coming back.

This news as well as Part 4 going on has me eager to see JoJo on Toonami. It is gurieto.

While I'm at least enjoying it Star Ocean 5 is a laughably easy game. My White Mage and Black Mage actually never run out of mana and even if they did the restore items are a flat rate so you can just feed them 80 gold things to restore it, and I stacked damage on the one character I control and just kill everything in 1-3 hits

You can tell that the game was made on the cheap, but there are some in depth role/class/crafting systems there that in a better game would make something awesome.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Hmm, I can't see them planning it well. OPM ends Oct. 18th, right?

Oct. 25th: ep. 1
Nov. 5th: ep. 2
Nov. 12th: ep. 3
Nov. 19th: ep. 4
Nov. 26th: no new episode, marathon for Thanksgiving
Dec. 3rd: ep. 5
Dec. 10th: Ep. 6 or beginning of Dec. marathons
17th, 24th, & 31st: Marathons.

So we'd be about 2/3rds done with Part 1 by the time the holiday marathons begin, & this is assuming we don't have a Halloween marathon like last year
OPM is currently slated to end Oct. 1st but will probably get pushed back a week with a Labor Day marathon.

Oct. 15th - EP. 1
Oct. 22nd - EP. 2
Oct. 29th - EP. 3
Nov. 5th - EP. 4
Nov. 12th - EP. 5
Nov. 19th - EP. 6
Nov. 26th - Thanksgiving marathon
Dec. 3rd - EP. 7
Dec. 10th - EP. 8
Dec. 17th - EP. 9
Dec. 24th - Christmas marathon
Dec. 31st - New Years marathon
Jan 7th - Jojo Part II

Grexeno

OPM is currently slated to end Oct. 1st but will probably get pushed back a week with a Labor Day marathon.

Oct. 15th - EP. 1
Oct. 22nd - EP. 2
Oct. 29th - EP. 3
Nov. 5th - EP. 4
Nov. 12th - EP. 5
Nov. 19th - EP. 6
Dec. 3rd - EP. 7
Dec. 10th - EP. 8
Dec. 17th - EP. 9
Jan 7th - Jojo Part II
This is probably what will happen.

Mizerman

Oct. 15th - EP. 1
Oct. 22nd - EP. 2
Oct. 29th - EP. 3
Nov. 5th - EP. 4
Nov. 12th - EP. 5
Nov. 19th - EP. 6
Dec. 3rd - EP. 7
Dec. 10th - EP. 8
Dec. 17th - EP. 9
Jan 7th - Jojo Part II

I can definitely see that happening.

Jarate

Banned
While I'm at least enjoying it Star Ocean 5 is a laughably easy game. My White Mage and Black Mage actually never run out of mana and even if they did the restore items are a flat rate so you can just feed them 80 gold things to restore it, and I stacked damage on the one character I control and just kill everything in 1-3 hits

You can tell that the game was made on the cheap, but there are some in depth role/class/crafting systems there that in a better game would make something awesome.

When was the last great AAA classic JRPG? Lost Odyssey?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
AAA budget and great? Probably FF X.

The last great console RPG was released pretty recently though, Idol Emblem.

I'd go with XII. It was PS2 so it probably still counts as classic.

those XII fans are gonna get you
I didnt like XII, but havent played IZJS

Yea, it had it's issues but it was still solid enough. Really want to see if IZJS takes it to that classic level.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

Oct. 15th - EP. 1
Oct. 22nd - EP. 2
Oct. 29th - EP. 3
Nov. 5th - EP. 4
Nov. 12th - EP. 5
Nov. 19th - EP. 6
Dec. 3rd - EP. 7
Dec. 10th - EP. 8
Dec. 17th - EP. 9
Jan 7th - Jojo Part II
Wow, I was way off, but yeah, this seems like it's perfect timing, though I wonder if the 17th will be a marathon since they know Dec. tends to have the lowest amount of viewers. But since it's still 8 days from Xmas, maybe they'll feel like it's far enough away from when everyone will be traveling & such.

Edit: I could totally see the New Year marathon being Jojo, airing episodes 3 through 9, then that way, people can be caught up for ep. 10 airing the following week.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'd go with XII. It was PS2 so it probably still counts as classic.

Yea, it had it's issues but it was still solid enough. Really want to see if IZJS takes it to that classic level.

Look at it this way. It's been 16 years since the PS2 launched. The NES wasn't even out in the US 16 years before the launch of the PS2 and that was most certainly a classic system in 2000!

Seda

Too much MP (leading to skill spamming) is an issue in a lot of TriAce games. Who didn't get through SO3 by spamming Side Kick? Or SO4 with Dragon Roar? IU with Grinn Valesti? etc

edit: I prefer FF12 to FF10, and from what I hear, vanilla > IZJS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom