• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JunJul16| You Thought It Was Dragon Ball Super, But It Was ME, DIO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I don't know if I've ever completed a Tri Ace game since the Playstation generation.

Let me look at wikipedia for a moment.

Nope. Got pretty far in IU and SO 3 and Covenant of the Plume.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Wow, I was way off, but yeah, this seems like it's perfect timing, though I wonder if the 17th will be a marathon since they know Dec. tends to have the lowest amount of viewers. But since it's still 8 days from Xmas, maybe they'll feel like it's far enough away from when everyone will be traveling & such.

Edit: I could totally see the New Year marathon being Jojo, airing episodes 3 through 9, then that way, people can be caught up for ep. 10 airing the following week.
I feel like the timing of the holidays means we're only getting two marathons for December this year. Plus there's not a lot left to marathon at this point. One Punch is surely getting the Labor Day marathon. Gundam will probably get the Thanksgiving marathon by default. Christmas and New Years will be Jojo and Dragonball. And that's pretty much everything besides Hunter and One Piece (Naruto seemingly can't be marathoned).

Bonus: the Cell saga should end on Dec. 17th too by my logic so they could start both Jojo Part 2 AND the Buu Saga on Jan. 7th.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
No, why? YYH closed out perfectly, there's no need for a sequel. HxH still has a lot of interesting ground it can cover.

I'd argue that YYH held on for two extra arcs actually.

and despite how much I like the new Hiatus manga arc I'd argue where the anime ends is perfect for HxH.

No, why? YYH closed out perfectly, there's no need for a sequel. HxH still has a lot of interesting ground it can cover.

Depends on if you mean the anime or the manga for YYH. From what I've heard, the manga of YYH was setting up another arc and then completely skipped it and just summarized it in the last chapter or something like that, but this bit was changed for the anime ending because it was really, really dumb

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'd argue that YYH held on for two extra arcs actually.

and despite how much I like the new Hiatus manga arc I'd argue where the anime ends is perfect for HxH.

I mean in terms of where they left the characters, there was really nowhere else to take them after YYH ended.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
With no future marathons:

One-Punch Man: October 1
Parasyte –the maxim-: October 8
Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans: November 26
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: December 3 (not including Part II), April 1, 2017 (including Part II)
Dragon Ball Z Kai: December 3 (not including Buu Arc), February 3, 2018 (including Buu Arc)
Hunter X Hunter: February 23, 2019
Naruto Shippuden: AHAHAHA....
One Piece: ....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The only thing that makes sense at this point is that TOONAMI negotiated an exclusive first run deal for Buu Kai in the US. It's been dubbed for awhile at this point from various little bits we've gotten from the voice actors who always seem to mention it whenever they record for a movie or video game.

Jarate

Banned
Part 1 and 2 will air together because they are basically the same "season" in broadcasting terms. I don't think Viz or Toonami have the rights to sell specific episodes, hence why they have to show filler and such.

The key is if they can get a part 3 dub completed before part 1 and 2 ends. I doubt Jojo will do bad in ratings, unless American Anime fans are just mentally ill

Also, who's placing bets on the person who will dislike Jojo! Who here hasnt seen part 1, Seda? and who else

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've never seen it. In fact I only know jojo because of the awesome fighting game (not the most recent one) and because I'm an old ass nerd who has seen many many references.

Jarate

Banned
Seda has seen an anime before Man God. Jesus christ the earth is flat, everything I once knew is a lie!

Part 1 is still awesome if you're into super campy anime. As a G Gundam fan, you will love the first Jojo part. Part 2 is just a great sequel series in general. I still need to get the part 2 books mangas from amazon, but the TV production of that series is basically perfectly done.

With no future marathons:

One-Punch Man: October 1
Parasyte –the maxim-: October 8
Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans: November 26
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: December 3 (not including Part II), April 1, 2017 (including Part II)
Dragon Ball Z Kai: December 3 (not including Buu Arc), February 3, 2018 (including Buu Arc)
Hunter X Hunter: February 23, 2019
Naruto Shippuden: AHAHAHA....
One Piece: ....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I fully expect Dragonball Z Kai to end and immediately be replaced by a Dragonball Super dub

Jarate

Banned
Literally only playing this cuz I can't play #FE.

All the good jrpgs went to handhelds years ago

I wish nintendo released a Super 3ds so i ccould play all my 3ds games on a big screen. I dont care if the game looks like ass resolutioon wise, I wanna play Monster Hunter on my big screen

But yeah, it's unfortunate that all the great JRPGs moved too handhelds. I like my handhelds alot, but JRPGs are not the genre I wanna play on a tiny screen.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Basically if I think a series has any chance of making it to TOONAMI I wait. Did so with JoJo, IBF, AGK, SAO II, DW, Parasyte, and even some stuff like Psycho Pass and Tokyo Ghoul.

I was doing that for HxH as well but I figured last winter that the dub was lost to history.

Ashby

Seda has seen an anime before Man God. Jesus christ the earth is flat, everything I once knew is a lie!

Part 1 is still awesome if you're into super campy anime. As a G Gundam fan, you will love the first Jojo part. Part 2 is just a great sequel series in general. I still need to get the part 2 books mangas from amazon, but the TV production of that series is basically perfectly done.

:/

I wish nintendo released a Super 3ds so i ccould play all my 3ds games on a big screen. I dont care if the game looks like ass resolutioon wise, I wanna play Monster Hunter on my big screen

But yeah, it's unfortunate that all the great JRPGs moved too handhelds. I like my handhelds alot, but JRPGs are not the genre I wanna play on a tiny screen.
This though we are in total agreement about. Damnit, it was done for every handheld up until the DS!

Jarate

Banned

It's just a question of how much camp you can handle with your anime. Im not going to sit here and say that either series are incredible pieces of fiction, but they both have a similar level of camp. Jojo is better imo, but they are wildly different shows (G Gundam is basically a wrestling anime, Jojo is basically Fist of the North Star fights Dracula)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I prefer RPGs on handhelds.

Hell I wish Idol Emblem had Off TV play so I could do the non story bits while watching tv. Instead I listen to podcasts.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Perhaps Viz will use this chance to promote their Blu-Ray releases of Jojo (my understanding is that WB owns the DVD rights, but that release was awful) & if they can actually confirm when it's actually happening, One Punch Man (seriously, announce a Blu-Ray so I can pre-order).

Kind of surprised the only time we saw a commercial to promote the DVD/Blu-Ray release of a Toonami show was for Akame ga Kill of all things.

Jarate

Banned
I prefer RPGs on handhelds.

Hell I wish Idol Emblem had Off TV play so I could do the non story bits while watching tv. Instead I listen to podcasts.

1N0UjV3.jpg

also, now that imgur is impossible for me to use and figure out how to embed pictures, what's a good alternative

Depends on if you mean the anime or the manga for YYH. From what I've heard, the manga of YYH was setting up another arc and then completely skipped it and just summarized it in the last chapter or something like that, but this bit was changed for the anime ending because it was really, really dumb

In the manga, the Demon World Tournament was only like 3 chapters. It started Yusuke vs. Yomi, but then cut to a year and a half later with Kurama telling Kuwabara what happened. After that, there were some one-off stories before it ended.

The anime expanded on fights that were just mentioned and cut out weird stuff like the revelation that King Yama was corrupt and falsifying reports of demon attacks (which was just told, not shown). Though it did cut out the one scene showing Yusuke's father.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Jesus Christ
Well remember that after so many years, the author starts a new "part" with new characters, setting, powers, plot, etc. Stardust Crusaders, for example, ran from '89 to '92, while Part 4 (which is the one the current anime is focusing on), was '92 to '95.

Hell, Part 1 didn't even last the whole '87 year because it was only 44 chapters. Part 2 was '87 to '89.

Edit: Also, Part 7 was when the series moved from weekly to monthly, meaning you only got 12 chapters a year instead of 50-ish.

Ashby

In the manga, the Demon World Tournament was only like 3 chapters. It started Yusuke vs. Yomi, but then cut to a year and a half later with Kurama telling Kuwabara what happened. After that, there were some one-off stories before it ended.

The anime expanded on fights that were just mentioned and cut out weird stuff like the revelation that King Yama was corrupt and falsifying reports of demon attacks (which was just told, not shown). Though it did cut out the one scene showing Yusuke's father.

I love that YYH is the one long running shonen series that actually was serialized in its entirety in the US Shonen Jump.

Well remember that after so many years, the author starts a new "part" with new characters, setting, powers, plot, etc. Stardust Crusaders, for example, ran from '89 to '92, while Part 4 (which is the one the current anime is focusing on), was '92 to '95.

Hell, Part 1 didn't even last the whole '87 year because it was only 44 chapters. Part 2 was '87 to '89.

Sure, that's just intimidating as hell as someone who just started buying HxH and was thinking that 33 volumes was a lot. There need to be more Widebans.

Seda

so the Samurai Jack SDCC panel just finished up. No hard details other than it is ten episodes and the story is linear (less episodic)

Jarate

Banned
I forgot what huge timesinks Warrior games are at the end.

which one you playing, if it's DW8, SW4 or Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate on PS4, I haven those! We can bro-op, I can show you some really stupid move cancelling with Zhou Tai in 8 XL

Raxus

which one you playing, if it's DW8, SW4 or Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate on PS4, I haven those! We can bro-op, I can show you some really stupid move cancelling with Zhou Tai in 8 XL

Pirate Warriors 3. I love the games but getting the final trophies basically amounts to maxing out all the characters. I will get XL when it is on sale for 20-30$ and I don't have other games on the backlog piling up. After I am finished with this I am on to DOOM.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I started focusing on handheld RPGs because it's just easier to jump in & out via Sleep Mode, though I'm so glad the PS4 has that feature. I'm just glad I've been able to stick with TMS #FE with over 70 hours so far.

Sure, that's just intimidating as hell as someone who just started buying HxH and was thinking that 33 volumes was a lot. There need to be more Widebans.
Viz has actually been releasing the "Jojonium" versions of the first 3 parts that're larger/longer versions with additional stuff, which are which in turn means there's not as many volumes (i.e. Part 1 was originally 5 volumes, the re-release combined it into 3, & Part 2 was shortened from 7 to 4 volumes). That probably will be your best bet since Viz only originally did Part 3's manga & slowly releasing the "Jojonium" versions (August will be the final Part 2 volume, then will focus on Part 3, which was shortened from a whopping 17 volumes to 10).

So to add it up, instead of 29 volumes, it's 17 with the re-release, 12 volumes less to deal with. Granted, that's still a lot of volumes to deal with, especially since it's only the first 3 parts & Viz is working on Part 4's manga, but hasn't said anything for Part 5 & beyond.

Pirate Warriors 3. I love the games but getting the final trophies basically amounts to maxing out all the characters.
Ugh, yeah, I think I stopped earning trophies around that part since you have to earn so many coins & HOPE certain enemies appear so you can get said coins. At least it's not as random as PW2.

Jarate

Banned
Pirate Warriors 3. I love the games but getting the final trophies basically amounts to maxing out all the characters.

Is there crossplay with the Vita, cause I only have the Vita version

And yeah, Warriors games are notorious for having ridiculously grindy platinums.

Jarate

Banned
the hardcover Jojo books are also amazing in quality. Best manga quality ive ever witnessed. Compared to the part 3 softcover books, it's amazing

Raxus

Is there crossplay with the Vita, cause I only have the Vita version

And yeah, Warriors games are notorious for having ridiculously grindy platinums.

Signs point to no from what I researched on it. Shame to because the rest of the mainstream Warrior games have it.

After talking about the Yu Yu Hakusho manga, I finally decided to just look at the stuff the anime left out.

170: Kurama tells Kuwabara about the Demon World Tournament, Yusuke returns after a year and a half, it's revealed that King Yama was corrupt and Koenma took down the barrier around the Demon World. Kuwabara's father appears, and he's become an ambassador for the demons. Yukina is an exchange demon, and will be living in their house.

171: Months later, demons are starting to integrate into society, and the Dark Tournament announcers have become popular idols. Yusuke has started a private spirit detective agency, with a ramen shop as a front. Keiko tells Yusuke about a strange incident in a girls dorm room, and Yusuke has to dress up as a girl to get in. Yusuke can't figure it out, so he has Kurama solve it for him (he's upset about the idea that he wouldn't have to wear a disguise to get in). They hire a demon to scare the actual culprit, one of the human roommates in the dorm room. Keiko doesn't pay Yusuke because he had Kurama solve it, so he tells her he sold her school uniform to a creepy old man for a high price; he actually just gave it to his mother. The moral is that humans are worse than demons, but in the last panel, Togashi's editor says, "Wait, isn't Yusuke a demon now?"

172: Stuff we saw in the final episode, with Hiei and Mukuro, and Mukuro's backstory, which the anime moved to a different part. There's a part I don't believe the anime adapted, with Hiei capturing the man that enslaved Mukuro with one of Kurama's plants, which immobilizes him and will prevent him from dying from torture until his head is cut off, and giving him to Mukuro as a birthday present.

173: A series of short stories with various side characters, including that one psychic with the rule-setting power playing video games with Gamemaster, checking in on the love lives of the Dark Tournament guys, and Botan and one of the other grim reapers getting food in Demon World with Koenma to cheer him up. This is where Yusuke's father shows up.

174: Koenma and Botan are taken hostage by demon cultists who don't like the new peace. They threaten to fire an interdimensional laser at the human world if their demands aren't met. This chapter talks a bit about demon religions. Yusuke gets the gang back together, this time including Kuwabara. They use Kuwabara's dimensional sword to break in. Despite a ton of time being spent on talking and planning, the group defeats the cultists easily (not presented in a comedic way). The laser is set to go off in a few moments and is set up so that one button will activate it, one will make it blow up, and one will shut it down, with no way of knowing which is which. Yusuke evacuates everyone and stays behind. The button he pushes appears to make it blow up.

175: Final chapter. It's years later and they make it look like they're visiting Yusuke's grave, but he shows up and it turns out they're visiting Genkai's grave. Yusuke smokes now. At this point, it's the final episode of the anime, except Yusuke's there from the start and there's some stuff about the previous chapter.

Having finally read all that, I definitely prefer how the anime ended. They did a good job taking the interesting bits spread out among these chapters and presenting them in a way that makes actual dramatic sense. That "last mission" was really dumb, besides how it actually had Kuwabara do something. By the way, there's nothing that implies Yusuke stopped being a detective after that, which I've heard some people mention before, so it probably isn't really his last mission.

Gorillaz

Toonami actually pulled off jojo? damn

it's really surreal how slow yet successfully the block has grown over years. Especially in a climate where alot of people higher up aren't exactly big on putting down money on dubbed anime for circulation on tv.

Not bad, demarco/adult swim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom