• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JunJul16| You Thought It Was Dragon Ball Super, But It Was ME, DIO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
I saw an episode of Miss Machiko on Crunchyroll before Gundam IBO, so.. err.. was Gundam even fanservice? I don't think anything will odd me out as much as Machiko-chan, lol.

No, really, I don't understand why this exist. The idea of a show revolving around kids sexually abusing their hot young teacher, who eventually just gives up resisting in a cute,m alluring way, to which they perform a victory pose for, is just... baffling. I can't imagine wanting to watch this with my parents while growning up...

The series revolves around Miss Machiko, a new elementary school teacher who wears a revealing red mini-skirt, and regularly finding herself in accidental sexual situations. Machiko is very popular with her students, especially the boys, who take delight in lifting up her skirts and devising traps to catch her in various stages of undress

Total Media Corporation adapted the series into seven full-length live action films

..how

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
giphy.gif

Raxus

Remember that Adam Sandler Movie the Cobbler where he turns into the whomever's shoes he wears and wears his dad's shoes and has sex with his mom?

Yeah....

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Reminder: This was "considered" a "kid's show" back in the early '80s.

........also I just found out there was live-action OVAs & films, brb need to confirm this

machiko.gif

Yup, it's the "for kids!" part that gets me. It's like it's directing young 7 year olds to grope their hot teachers, because it's ok!

I have a hard time thinking the live action stuff isn't smutty or Pink films. I assume the young boys in her class aren't so childish looking either, or that'd just be... yuck.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
machiko.gif

Yup, it's the "for kids!" part that gets me. It's like it's directing young 7 year olds to grope their hot teachers, because it's ok!

I have a hard time thinking the live action stuff isn't smutty or Pink films. I assume the young boys in her class aren't so childish looking either, or that'd just be... yuck.
Nah, the students look high school.

So far, they barely have any actual nudity, though one of the "movies" has weird "interludes" where for a few minutes, you watch a Japanese woman do some exercises with a giant ball or something for about 5 minutes,

Another of the movies is "split" into different parts, and it's doing another weird "interlude" where it feels like I'm watching a gravure idol video of women posing by the pool.....& then 2 boys suggest the girls play Twister while in the swimsuits.

HOLY CRAP, one of these ends with her doing a cat fight in a tight dress at gunpoint, but then the dude is like "IMMA SHOOT YOU NOW", then she spins around, a shoe is hung in front of the camera to show it's "flying" while she's still spinning, then the heel lands right in the gun (complete with a "pop" sound), AND THE GUN EXPLODES. AND THE DUDE BURNS TO DEATH VIA CUT AWAY TO PLASTIC FIGURE.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Nah, the students look high school.

So far, they barely have any actual nudity, though one of the "movies" has weird "interludes" where for a few minutes, you watch a Japanese woman do some exercises with a giant ball or something for about 5 minutes,

Another of the movies is "split" into different parts, and it's doing another weird "interlude" where it feels like I'm watching a gravure idol video of women posing by the pool.....& then 2 boys suggest the girls play Twister while in the swimsuits.

HOLY CRAP, one of these ends with her doing a cat fight in a tight dress at gunpoint, but then the dude is like "IMMA SHOOT YOU NOW", then she spins around, a shoe is hung in front of the camera to show it's "flying" while she's still spinning, then the heel lands right in the gun (complete with a "pop" sound), AND THE GUN EXPLODES. AND THE DUDE BURNS TO DEATH VIA CUT AWAY TO PLASTIC FIGURE.

That sounds fantastically low budget and campy, lol. I've seen worse on Netflix! Considering the animation has her nude in the shower, the ED, and the OP, at least keeping it out of the live action is a.. good thing? Topless female nudity seemed fairly prevalent in older anime, eh... (currently watching Ranma 1/2)

Making them more obviously highschoolers also is less creepy. That sounds more like something I'd expect in an American comedy movie, even. I often wonder how smart it is to have hot barely-out-of-college teachers for almost-in-college young adults. All teachers should be like... 65, and no-longer-so-attractive! ;-)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The timeline Cell comes from makes no sense.

It has:
1. A Future Trunks from another timeline showing up to defeat Frieza and warn everyone about the androids (see Cell's comments about the computer not taking cells from Trunks because it had enough saiyan blood)
2. Androids 17 and 18 destroy the world anyways.
3. Its own Trunks travelling to another timeline, and returning to defeat Androids 17 and 18.
4. Its own Trunks is set to travel back a year before it had warned everybody about the androids, when he is killed by Cell.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's called "dancing" & it's considered an art form.

It's an '80s anime called Miss Machiko. It's an ecchi anime/manga that was considered a "kid's" show.

Rutger

Banned
Gundam's dub sounded good.
I wasn't sure about JYB as Orga, but he didn't sound as out of place as I expected.
It'll be fun to watch this again.

Then in Hunter x Hunter we learned Killua is from a family of assassins and Gon thinks that's cool.

Ian Sinclare did a pretty damn good job singing Bink's Brew.

Fun night overall. Samurai Champloo was weird though...

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Remember that in dragon ball that toriyama just straight up shows bulma's tits in yamcha's arc aswell as another time

I honestly don't understand the love Champloo gets. I know everyone has their own tastes, but aside from the music nothing really appeals to me. For those whom enjoy it, what do you like about it?

If I compare it to Cowboy Bebop structurally it's inferior in terms of story, visuals, comedy and drama. We're almost at the end and I still don't care about any of our characters. I think I'd feel the same even without comparing it to Bebop.

Line_HTX

Which is why I don't compare it to Bebop because I think it's unfair to hold it to that standard. I see it more like a journey-type show just like Wolf's Rain and Kino's Journey. It just so happens that it's Watanabe directing and the music making the show for me as well as the characters as they go through this journey.

Jarate

Banned
I honestly don't understand the love Champloo gets. I know everyone has their own tastes, but aside from the music nothing really appeals to me. For those whom enjoy it, what do you like about it?

If I compare it to Cowboy Bebop structurally it's inferior in terms of story, visuals, comedy and drama. We're almost at the end and I still don't care about any of our characters. I think I'd feel the same even without comparing it to Bebop.

Music is completely ace along with the audio work, the ambient audio used in the show is some of the best ive ever seen

Samurai settings are also pretty badass too bruh

Man God

Non-Canon Member

This is basically my opinion on it. It's a good idea that goes almost nowhere. Michiko and Hatchin is a better version of this show.

This is basically my opinion on it. It's a good idea that goes almost nowhere. Michiko and Hatchin is a better version of this show.
I think I cared more about M&H as characters, issues aside, but I liked Champloo more than anything in that show.

Which is why I don't compare it to Bebop because I think it's unfair to hold it to that standard. I see it more like a journey-type show just like Wolf's Rain and Kino's Journey. It just so happens that it's Watanabe directing and the music making the show for me as well as the characters as they go through this journey.
Even on its own, it feels pretty weak. I really liked Wolf's Rain, though.

Regiruler

I knew what Dandy and M&H are going for even if I thought M&H was somewhat of a mess. However Champloo has a tendency with shifting on an irregular basis how it wants to be treated. At some points it tries to be more completive, but then 5 minutes later it uses 10 different anime tropes at once.

Moaradin

I think I prefer Space Dandy over Champloo. It might be my favorite of the Watanabe shows now that I think about it. Need to give it more time and a few more watches before I say for sure.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Am I the only one that doesn't recognize this
It's just proof that the Gymnastic Ribbon was all the rage in old anime!
kodachi.gif
tumblr_nqjpyum6bt1r49apoo1_500.gif
kodachi.gif

The structure of stories, the rather chill, but ocassionally serious tone, and the overall offbeat nature of it's setting and characters all are pretty unique, much like Bebop. It's culture-clash is jarringly stupid (hip hop and ancient Japan?), but after a while, it feels entirely justified and even kinda natural.

Bebop itself claimed in eyecatches that it'd be a work that would become it's own genre. I think Champloo fits into this same category it created. Much like FLCL, they're shows that have a framework, but feel more like a canvas for the creators to just goof off and have fun.

And Fuu is cute, and Jin wears glasses and Mugen is Spike if he lived and became a vagabond. ;)

I don't think anyone finds it as timeless as Bebop (proven by the fact many of us don't remember episodes), but it can sit around the same area, which feels good. There's not much that's honestly Bebop-like out there. Especially not on the Toonami Block. I wouldn't even say MichiHatch feels like Bebop, really...

As far as caring about the characters... I don't see why you wouldn't care about them to a degree. They might not be your type of people, but they all have shown us some backstroy, images of them growing up or as children, and hard choices they've had to make that were tied to experiences in their past.

It's not all heavy-handed emotion-wringing stuff like a Bleach pre-kinda-death pity backstroy splurge, but I think it's enough to start judging the character's actions against their past, which feels like a nice trick to get one to feel a bit more intimate with the characters.

The timeline Cell comes from makes no sense.

It has:
1. A Future Trunks from another timeline showing up to defeat Frieza and warn everyone about the androids (see Cell's comments about the computer not taking cells from Trunks because it had enough saiyan blood)
2. Androids 17 and 18 destroy the world anyways.
3. Its own Trunks travelling to another timeline, and returning to defeat Androids 17 and 18.
4. Its own Trunks is set to travel back a year before it had warned everybody about the androids, when he is killed by Cell.

1. Goku kills Frieza on Earth in Trunks timeline. Goku can teleport instantly to Earth if Frieza starts killing anything. Androids 19 and 20 still attack West City 3 years later, after Trunks is born, so Gero is still alive at this point.
2. Gero activates 17 and 18 at some point (they've never said exactly when) with some alterations from the ones in the current timeline but they still end up killing him.

The other two I'll give you.
They could have had it still work if when Trunks went back to his timeline he's killed by Cell, but he kills him instead,

Champloo isn't a masterpiece to be sure, but it has a couple big things going for it. For starters, Champloo is one of those rare shows that makes me laugh. This is probably because I like the leads of Champloo. While Mugen, Fuu, and Jin aren't very deep characters, they flow off one another very well. That central character dynamic allows Champloo to flow naturally between silly and serious episodes. I think the episodes pertaining to Mugen's past are very effective, yet I also love it when things get weird too. The pot revolution episode, the episode focusing on hip hop culture, the upcoming baseball episode. Those episodes are loads of fun. (It also helps that the show has a fantastic dub and soundtrack.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom