• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JunJul16| You Thought It Was Dragon Ball Super, But It Was ME, DIO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Scalebound... I guess even Kamiya needs a dud.

"Biggest boss we ever made at Platinum" *looks at Jubileus & Jergingha* Really?

Raxus

I hope Microsoft's "consoles bought like smartphones" thing crashes and explodes.

Yeah...It seems PRETTY short sighted. That bomb aside the rest of the conference wasn't pants shittingly awful at least which, this year, is an achievement!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
XBONE being less powerful than PS4 killed it. Worse than their failed digital only initiative. All for the sake of Kinect. This is a chance at a semi fresh start and its a decent enough idea.

XBONE being less powerful than PS4 killed it. Worse than their failed digital only initiative. All for the sake of Kinect. This is a chance at a semi fresh start and its a decent enough idea.

I'm pretty sure the $500 price point had way more to do with it than it being weaker than the PS4, especially when 95% of console owners don't care about/notice differences in power.

Raxus

It is also the biggest middle finger to early adopters I could ever think of.

PS2, Wii were all weaker than their competitors and huge successes. PS4 is the only console to buck the trend, thanks in large part to Microsoft shooting themselves in BOTH feet.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm pretty sure the $500 price point had way more to do with it than it being weaker than the PS4 when 95% of console owners don't care/notice differences in power.

They do know/care. Being more powerful is one of the few messages that does cross over to the mainstream because the clerk at the store will usually get that one right. Same thing happened last gen when the 360 was roughly as powerful as the PS3, came out a year earlier, and was functionally 200 bucks cheaper. That's why it did so well.

FFXV and Scalebound feel sabotaged by bad players playing poor sections for a demo. FFXV guy kept getting hit and not taking advantage of the prompts to warp and attack the boss while fumbling around in place, Scalebound guy just sat back and shot arrows 80% of the time while the rest of the team was doing cool stuff in the distance.

...Welcome to ten years ago?

You're better then this the arcade version also called Dissidia that has Ramza and Y'sholta playable he's talking about a ps4 port.

Grexeno

Consumers won't buy the new thing until they see the games are different enough to be worth their time. But developers won't make those differences until the install base for the new thing is big enough. Which means eventually there just won't be any support for the new thing at all.

The big elephant in the room with Scorpio is if everything is cross platform to XB1, PC, and Scorpio, why would you pay $500 or more on a Scorpio when a gaming PC can get all the games and have access to a larger library then what Scorpio will get.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
FFXV and Scalebound feel sabotaged by bad players playing poor sections for a demo. FFXV guy kept getting hit and not taking advantage of the prompts to warp and attack the boss while fumbling around in place, Scalebound guy just sat back and shot arrows 80% of the time while the rest of the team was doing cool stuff in the distance.

You're better then this the arcade version also called Dissidia that has Ramza and Y'sholta playable he's talking about a ps4 port.

It's a joke bro. This is the arcade game with the ultra hot Ramza in it.

They do know/care. Being more powerful is one of the few messages that does cross over to the mainstream because the clerk at the store will usually get that one right. Same thing happened last gen when the 360 was roughly as powerful as the PS3, came out a year earlier, and was functionally 200 bucks cheaper. That's why it did so well.

Nah, I just think the message that the PS3 was $600 on launch and had no games at launch either, while the 360 was significantly cheaper at that point and had more interesting games at launch carries much more weight than "oh this system is slightly less powerful but still mostly as powerful as this other system."

And the fact that the Wii ended up crushing both while not even being an HD system.

Grexeno

Nah, I just think the message that the PS3 was $600 on launch and had no games at launch either, while the 360 was significantly cheaper and had more interesting at launch carries much more weight than "oh this system is slightly less powerful but still as powerful as this other system."

And the fact that the Wii ended up crushing both while not even being an HD system.
The Wii sort of wasn't even really directly competing for the same market as the PS3 and 360.

Nah, I just think the message that the PS3 was $600 on launch and had no games at launch either, while the 360 was significantly cheaper at that point and had more interesting games at launch carries much more weight than "oh this system is slightly less powerful but still mostly as powerful as this other system."

It also had Halo 3 which was finishing the story back when Halo was kind of the gaming world, it was the perfect storm.

The Wii sort of wasn't even really directly competing for the same market as the PS3 and 360.

It's still a part of the console market. And the significant portion of that market doesn't care about power, especially compared to things that matter to them like launch games and price.

With the launch of Scorpio/Neo, they might start caring a bit more now that the marketing machines at Sony/Microsoft will start throwing around numbers around their launches to try to entice people to buying the better system, but I still think price and games matter way more to those people regardless.

Grexeno

It's still a part of the console market. And the significant portion of that market doesn't care about power, especially compared to things that matter to them like launch games and price.

With the launch of Scorpio/Neo, they might start caring a bit more now that the marketing machines at Sony/Microsoft will start throwing around numbers around their launches to try to entice people to buying the better system, but I still think price and games matter way more to those people regardless.
The Wii didn't capture people who cared about price: it captured people who cared about Nintendo games, and people who would eventually move to smartphones and tablets permanently.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I like what I saw of Scalebound. That looks boring? It looked simple (as a stage demo would), but the promise of gameplay is definitely there. I still think back on the moments I had in both Lost Planets even now as some of the most fun I've had in 3rd person co-op gaming, and it's great to have something to carry on that torch.

Recore looks like some of the early JP / Xbox Stuff like Gunvalkyrie, and I love those types of games on the system. "This looks like a game from 2002!" or such doesn't mean much to me. "This look like a game that has snappy controls, rather than forcing ones motion to go through arbitrary flourishes that detract from responsiveness!" The thing my eyes focused on was that snappy dash, actually. It has that satisfying "Dodge a blow at the last second!" feel that I love in games.

I actually find that when games get too animated (Batman Arkham), it detracts from them, because I feel like the game is doing much more of the "playing" than I am. I don't know 100% where I'm going, movement interpolation and animation blending are a priority. And while that probably LOOKS good to many people, that just kills much of the fun of playing, to me.

I found it funny we saw State of Decay and Dead Rising fairly close together. Zombies really aren't at all this interesting. But I really enjoy the DR franchise, so I'm happy to see it coming.

Tekken looked good, but I know it'll quite likely end up the least played of all the newest fighter coming out for me... no, scratch that. I'll most likely play it about 4x more than Injustice 2. But who knows? Once I play it, maybe I'll love it as much as I did T2? It's always a possibility...

Sea of Thieves looks pretty... "Rare". Getting Rare Replay, I appreciated Rare's ambition much more than their actual execution on most things. I'm never enamored with their works, save for something like Perfect Dark and Jet Force Gemini. I normally just enjoy them a lot, but they rarely form strong, lasting bonds with me.

And then the whole Scorpio thing... I just like it because my birth sign is Scorpio!

... but really, dunno. I don't mind the idea of console generations having serious power upgrades, while still standing alongside the games and such you've purchased. There IS no choice between my PS3 and PS4 right now; the 4 is hooked up, and the 3 collects dust, even though I have loads of games I could still play on it. The idea of constantly getting my controllers and software to work with the next iterations without having to buy the games and stuff over again is pretty nice. I don't care so much for 4K and VR ATM, but it's nice to have as options.

Overall, I enjoyed the conference enough. It's not KoF XIV, but it's much other stuff I also will care about! ;-)

Mizerman

I like what I saw of Scalebound. That looks boring? It looked simple (as a stage demo would), but the promise of gameplay is definitely there. I still think back on the moments I had in both Lost Planets even now as some of the most fun I've had in 3rd person co-op gaming, and it's great to have something to carry on that torch.

Recore looks like some of the early JP / Xbox Stuff like Gunvalkyrie, and I love those types of games on the system. "This looks like a game from 2002!" or such doesn't mean much to me. "This look like a game that has snappy controls, rather than forcing ones motion to go through arbitrary flourishes that detract from responsiveness!" The thing my eyes focused on was that snappy dash, actually. It has that satisfying "Dodge a blow at the last second!" feel that I love in games.

I actually find that when games get too animated (Batman Arkham), it detracts from them, because I feel like the game is doing much more of the "playing" than I am. I don't know 100% where I'm going, movement interpolation and animation blending are a priority. And while that probably LOOKS good to many people, that just kills much of the fun of playing, to me.

I found it funny we saw State of Decay and Dead Rising fairly close together. Zombies really aren't at all this interesting. But I really enjoy the DR franchise, so I'm happy to see it coming.

Tekken looked good, but I know it'll quite likely end up the least played of all the newest fighter coming out for me... no, scratch that. I'll most likely play it about 4x more than Injustice 2. But who knows? Once I play it, maybe I'll love it as much as I did T2? It's always a possibility...

Sea of Thieves looks pretty... "Rare". Getting Rare Replay, I appreciated Rare's ambition much more than their actual execution on most things. I'm never enamored with their works, save for something like Perfect Dark and Jet Force Gemini. I normally just enjoy them a lot, but they rarely form strong, lasting bonds with me.

And then the whole Scorpio thing... I just like it because my birth sign is Scorpio!

... but really, dunno. I don't mind the idea of console generations having serious power upgrades, while still standing alongside the games and such you've purchased. There IS no choice between my PS3 and PS4 right now; the 4 is hooked up, and the 3 collects dust, even though I have loads of games I could still play on it. The idea of constantly getting my controllers and software to work with the next iterations without having to buy the games and stuff over again is pretty nice. I don't care so much for 4K and VR ATM, but it's nice to have as options.

Overall, I enjoyed the conference enough. It's not KoF XIV, but it's much other stuff I also will care about! ;-)

Ah, a fellow Scorpio.

Jarate

Banned
bMvubUf.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Going from what I know the female pictures are out of order. Twilight is more 12 year old and HSM is more like 21.

That and this picture Meme is what, ten years old?

bigkrev

Xbox conference was fine. The Scalebound demo and the FF XV demos were actively bad, doing there best to make the games look awful. The Gears demo at the start was way too long, and the Minecraft thing felt like it belonged somewhere else. But at least everything else they showed seems like a game I will be playing in the next 18 months, they gave their second longest stage demo to a completely crazy looking indie game, and they made an actual effort on PC for the first time in forever. The Moto Maker style thing for controllers is the best idea ever, the Xbox S is aesthetically pleasing, and the Scorpio stuff sounds super asperational while still sounding realistic.

I liked this conference much better than Sony's last year.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Xbox conference was fine. The Scalebound demo and the FF XV demos were actively bad, doing there best to make the games look awful. The Gears demo at the start was way too long, and the Minecraft thing felt like it belonged somewhere else. But at least everything else they showed seems like a game I will be playing in the next 18 months, they gave their second longest stage demo to a completely crazy looking indie game, and they made an actual effort on PC for the first time in forever. The Moto Maker style thing for controllers is the best idea ever, the Xbox S is aesthetically pleasing, and the Scorpio stuff sounds super asperational while still sounding realistic.

I liked this conference much better than Sony's last year.

Here's an amusing take on it. I really liked this conference despite not liking any of the games featured. I might even get a Scorpio in three years or so if its reasonably priced.

bigkrev

Here's an amusing take on it. I really liked this conference despite not liking any of the games featured. I might even get a Scorpio in three years or so if its reasonably priced.

They really made it sound like the Scorpio is going to be $600+. It's going to have a GPU thats around $250-$300 alone.

bigkrev

If the Scorpio is $600 then it's dead in the water.

That's going to be the problem with consoles for the rest of time, as we are now in an era where they are just PC's in a box. If you want to compete with a mid-range PC spec wise, it's going to have to cost around the same as that PC unless you want to loose money on each box, or you can make the console cheaper and have it look weak compared to a PC.

Grexeno

That's going to be the problem with consoles for the rest of time, as we are now in an era where they are just PC's in a box. If you want to compete with a mid-range PC spec wise, it's going to have to cost around the same as that PC unless you want to loose money on each box, or you can make the console cheaper and have it look weak compared to a PC.
This isn't a problem when you only have to buy one every 5-6 years.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The big elephant in the room with Scorpio is if everything is cross platform to XB1, PC, and Scorpio, why would you pay $500 or more on a Scorpio when a gaming PC can get all the games and have access to a larger library then what Scorpio will get.

Agreed. My one thought while the conference was playing was "Why buy an Xbox if I can play all this on PC? Plus more?"

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*wakes up* Oh right, MS had their press conference. *looks over recap*

So once again meehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, especially when everything was just about leaked. I'd care for Dead Rising 4 if it wasn't X1-exclusive & I already have FF15 pre-ordered.

Just glad today is finally Sony's press conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom