• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar14| No Time for Sissy Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm here.
Really liking it so far.
Not surprising considering I like the original FMA.

Oh so you already know what's going to happen here

tumblr_m4eqn81BWT1qdnsr8.gif

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
oh god she's going to play with daddy tomorrow

surely nothing will happen to interrupt this lovely family scene with tragedy

Crocodile

so what's the difference between Alchemist and Brotherhood? one's like a remake, right?

Full Metal Alchemist was made in 2003-2004. Because the manga was still pretty new, not a lot of material was available to adapt so the studio had to use a fair number of creative liberties and after about halfway through the show it completely diverges from the manga. As a whole the production is good and easy to recommend but as the series moves further along, plot holes and weird characterization abound, the series often likes to be edgy for edginess' sake and they often try to make sure as few characters as possible have a happy ending.

Due to the continued popularity of the manga and popularity of the 1st series, Brotherhood was made in 2009-2010. It was timed so that the anime would end around the same time that the manga itself was scheduled to end. It's a much more faithful adaptation of the manga (since it was basically available in its entirety to adapt and the original author assisted in the production) which overall results in better writing, characterization than the first show and many new characters & elements not present in the first show are introduced. The show's biggest flaw is that it SPEEDS through the canon material that the first show did (since they assumed you were already familiar with it) and a few plot points that were elaborated upon in the manga are a bit glossed over. Overall, Brotherhood if the much superior product of the two series though the first is worth a watch, especially the first half .

As for your GITSAC question, I saw the series years ago - CN has been airing this show for almost a decade almost non-stop. I don't know if the dub is on any of the legal streaming sites. Check Adult Swim.com?

Seda

I think the scene in 03 when they find Nina in the alleyway is pretty powerful, despite it not being how it was done in the manga.

I think the scene in 03 when the find Nina in the alleyway is pretty powerful, despite it not being how it was done in the manga.

It was the part when Ed went down the road of being FAR too angsty which made the series frustrating to watch

And it allowed
Tucker to survive which lead to more creepy edgey shit

Squalor

It's not the 2003 anime's fault the manga writers and artists were slow as hell.

Anyway, it was still a really good series.

Bass you go to great lengths to make sure 03 FMA doesnt get any praise whatsoever for no reason haha

I give 03 credit where it's due, it's not much but things like Lust and the slower paced opening despite the filler I do give it credit for. I also like how it shows the coal mining town and the train fight.

It's not the 2003 anime's fault the manga writers and artists were slow as hell.

Anyway, it was still a really good series.

I don't think you understand how manga works, and no FMA 03 is only a good series because it's able to leech it's good opening off of what was already written, when Bones had to come up with their own material it was largely bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom