• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar14| No Time for Sissy Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shokugeki no Soma is better than all of the Big 3. The eventual anime will be amazing.

Then I better check it out soon. It's going to make me hungry every chapter like Toriko, isn't it?

Though I'm not familiar with the fight you speak of, though I'm familiar with the aforementioned characters, I think that example fits. Recently I think the Jojo vs ACDC fight and perhaps even the Usopp vs Luffy fights fit this description too. This needs to happen more often; its so satisfying well pulled off well.

ibeagteG2f93dX.gif

Many shonen protagonists wish they were this awesome.

Magi is great, its dubbed by viz though thats a shame

Aniplex has the license to Magi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magi:_The_Labyrinth_of_Magic#Anime

I think a good part of a quality adaptation is some creative license with the source material. Also I'd say I don't care so much anymore if something is different from the source material , but only if said material is entertaining and quality. In the case of something like Soul Eater I just really really like the characterizations, character focuses, plots and dynamic set up in the manga after the diverging point better than what Bones had to offer by a whole lot.

I'm now taking a hard stand like I've done for adaptations of other media and will no longer contrast new derivative work (i.e. filler) from the other canon work except in qualitative terms. Filler no longer exists. It's just a different take usually from different authors. If it sucks, it will suck on its own merits and if it is good it is good on its own merits.

I generally enjoy reading what Bass has to say on things and he takes the opposite approach and is too fixated on what the original author did or did not do. That's fine. He's right a good 90% of the time too, the formally named filler doesn't usually match up except in the usual exception of character driven comedy episodes which tend to be great because they relax the conventions of the source material and exaggerate various character flaws and personality traits for humor.

But I've decided that separate works no longer need to be shackled to their source material and it's unfair to judge them solely on that. Like a man once cryptically said last year, don't worry about filler.

There are times where I feel that filler is very good or still pretty damn enjoyable. Trigun more or less is a semi filler end that I think is far superior to what we actually got in the manga though that might be due to the fact the author more or less gave the team his ideas due to thinking his series wouldn't get the chance to finish. From what I've read of the Desert Punk I vastly prefer the direction the anime took as well. There are also filler arcs I can enjoy (g8 from one piece, dark water mist dbz, all of ygo's filler, the first handful of naruto filler arcs in concept).

I understand the point you make about viewing filler as filler and generally I do try to view that, I'm not like shard who goes "its filler therefore I don't care cause it'll be dropped once canon returns". As a whole I've enjoyed this bleach filler arc despite the fact its flawed because it is a lot of fun to see mirror matches and or what if x fought y stuff. I'm looking forward to marathoning Bleach and seeing the earlier filler because I really enjoyed the Bleach hell verse film.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
But SAO is getting a season 2! It'll be interesting to see what kind of legs it ends up having, but yeah, I agree it's probably more of a "one hit wonder" rather than a long-lasting classic, certainly.

HxH is weird for my example, as I'm talking more about new shows made by newer talent, that weren't popular in our previous awesome show Eras. Those people with the lessons from new and old works do a much better job at producing shows that have that crossover appeal and quality.

The more I see of OP, the more I actually dislike it's moment to moment story telling, but enjoy it's overall scope. I really think the show shines best in games and merchandising due to this, because the focused, cleaned up stuff does so much more right for me.

Well what I was saying in regards to something like SAO is that it'll remain popular so long as they keep milking that cow, though eventually it'll dry up since that's what happened to Twilight. After they put it down though, no one is really going to be looking at it anymore. I seriously doubt it'll wind up on many people's recommendation lists. It's just going to be a flash in the pan.

As far as OP goes, that's fair enough. Though to be fair, the only real way to experience OP is through the manga. The chapters move pretty quickly and are packed full of stuff. As good as the anime can be, it doesn't really do the story a whole lot of justice. Bass and pretty much everyone who reads it can back me up on this.

I just get the feeling that the youth generally doesn't hold as much contempt for things that many of us just hate. For a variety of factors, such as:
  • Young parents that like similar things to their children, thus avoiding the old "2 far-separated generations" trend of old
  • A wider range of stories to choose from
  • Wider acceptance and access to works of different nations and people
  • Crap attention spans, spoilers galore for "free"
  • The fact a LOT of this stuff can be viewed for free, without placing money towards it itself.
There's just less reason to be a real demand on works, given such factors.

Haha, I think I myself was harder on BGC 2040 when I bought it on DVD years ago, while watching it just recently on Netflix, I didn't feel nearly as bad about it. Though it still is the lesser work compared to the original!

I still hold that there is a demand for well put together shows and movies. The problem can be two-fold though. First it takes a fair amount of skill to create such a work, not everyone is able to do so. Second the business side always wants a hit and won't always wait for a series to take off, if it doesn't do well early on then it'll probably get cancelled. I think that's part of why we get series the way we do, it's both much easier and much cheaper to make.

There are some fairly new long running series that are very good (Attack on Titan for one, Magi for another), but Toonami isn't always going to pick them up. That's mostly down to the type of block it is and cost though. You can only have so many long running series going at a time before it starts to turn off new viewers. Not that you can't have an extremely well put together short series, of course.

Soul Eater had a miserable falling off comparable to something like Rurouni Kenshin.

What they did to Kenshin makes me sad. They never even animated the best arc in the story.

Jintor

So I read all of Soul Eater in a crazy 3-4 hour reading spree last night that had me awake at 3am as the main three laid the beatdown on Asura
ON THE FREAKING MOON
. Holy fucking shit! That was amazing. If Soul Eater Resonance never gets made someone at Bones is gonna get scythed.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Next week is going to be fun, I believe the DVD has the episode as a two part special. No idea what other sources do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom