• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar14| No Time for Sissy Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amikami

Banned
I remember Ergo Proxy when it aired on (spike tv?). Anyway, I tried to watch it but found it confusing and a bit boring. Probably didn't give enough damns to understand it honestly but never bothered to try again. Nice OP though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Casshern Sins doesn't even bother with pretense. It's extremely straight forward. There is not a single hidden message. The plot unfolds and there is no subtext.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It's free on Hulu. Watch it but make sure you have a mixed bucket of puppies and kittens next to you when you do, or a heart hardened by weeks of Naruto filler.

To hug right?
You need the pets to hug them... right?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
so.....Casshern Sins?

:D

5vc1RwM.png

Tamanon

Banned
I would prefer it to be just pictures and gifs of puppies and kittens. Don't want something horrible to happen every time you hear "Listen to my voice...."

So this is a pm I sent to mike about the difference between villains and antagonist, specifically why when I ranked my thoughts on the naruto villains why I didn't include Gaara, Neji, or
Itachi
. I figured I'd share it here to get your guys thoughts.

Just a warning there are some spoilers for later naruto shippuden I will do my best to keep said spoilers to a minimum tagging any names or parts that I feel would ruin first time viewers enjoyment.

BassForever said:
There is a different between a villain and an antagonist. The villain is generally who I feel is the mastermind of the character in the story creating the evil the good guys must defeat. An antagonist is a character who creates an immediate conflict for one character or all the good guys. Generally villains are antagonist but antagonist don't have to be villains. I view Gaara and Neji as antagonist not villains. Gaara is being manipulated by his father who's actually Orochimaru in disguise who's the true villain/mastermind behind the invasion arc which is the only point gaara (or neji) is at all antagonistic. Upcoming shippuden spoiler
Itachi by the same extension isn't really a villain as we find out he was always helping the leaf as a double/triple agent and only allied with the akatski for information. Itachi largely serves as an antagonist for Sauce and we eventually learn that it was all an act by Itachi.
upcoming shippuden spoiler

Orochimaru is the main villain and antagonist for all of part 1, outside of the land of waves arc he is the reason for almost everything that happens in part 1. In part 2 the akatski take over as the central villains of the story and they are of course lead by
pain
who takes over that main villain role. We eventually discover
he's being manipulated by Tobi who's actually Obito who's being manipulated by Madara. So if at any point we're going to consider Pain or Tobi/Obito villains we have to also consider Madara.

More shippuden spoiler warning
Danzo is more of a villain as his actions truly threaten the safety of the village and its by his actions that Itachi is forced to become who he becomes. I also don't think much of Danzo so I won't go on about him
. end More shippuden spoiler warning I did forget about the land of waves guy and he was a villain, zabuza and haku are antagonist and not really villains even if they work for the villain.

Just using a few other examples, you wouldn't really consider Sesshomaru to be a villain in InuYasha more of an antagonist. You also wouldn't really consider Yamcha a villain in early DB more of an antagonist. They can be a villain for a short time but as a whole you wouldn't consider either character to be a villain of the story. Thats how I view Gaara, Neji, Zabuza/Haku, and
Itachi
, they're antagonist not really villains.

Hope that makes sense

Any comments? Thoughts?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Banished looks like a really cool RTS, would be awesome if someone gifted it to me.
*stares at levyne*

Jintor

i feel like antagonist/protagonist are terms for where a character is situation in relation to a story and its mechanics (i.e. their 'role' in the story), whereas a 'villain' is a more descriptive term ABOUT a character (i.e. their personality, characterisation etc)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Gaara did some truly villainous things and had quite a bit of responsibility for his actions until he got fixed by Ninja Jesus.

Itachi
is arguably worse. The ends don't justify his means no matter how it turns out in the end. Being that deep under cover doesn't excuse
his acts of murder bordering on genocide.
Dude is a villain.

You could use your same definition to excuse Orochimaru if you wanted to twist it.

foxuzamaki

Itachi
was ordered to do it though, also they had evidence
that majority of the uchiha clan was planning to userp the village and being a military govt, they can only usurp the only way they know how

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Itachi
was ordered to do it though, also they had evidence
that majority of the uchiha clan was planning to userp the village and being a military govt, they can only usurp the only way they know how

I know all that. Doesn't excuse any of the shit he did after that though with the Akatsuki and just because that was the choice presented to you doesn't make you not a villain for going through with it.

Seda

Labels are always a little annoying because there will always be some element that stretches the 'definition'.

Generally I find 'antagonist' to be a more general term for any character who's motives are at odds with the protagonist (I guess this would be like Jintor's talk of 'roles') regardless of how moralistic that character is. A villain would be a character with either specifically immoral (evil) intentions or methods, and while they are typically antagonists I guess they don't have to be?

i feel like antagonist/protagonist are terms for where a character is situation in relation to a story and its mechanics (i.e. their 'role' in the story), whereas a 'villain' is a more descriptive term ABOUT a character (i.e. their personality, characterisation etc)

Yeah that's a good way to put it simply lol

I know all that. Doesn't excuse any of the shit he did after that though with the Akatsuki and just because that was the choice presented to you doesn't make you not a villain for going through with it.

I think that's why a lot of people call it a retcon and another sign of Kishi's poor planning/writing. Though I do ask what in canon did
itachi
do that you would really consider evil as part of the akatski? I can't really remember anything specifically he did that I'd consider villainous outside of trying to capture Naruto for the 9 tails within him

Labels are always a little annoying because there will always be some element that stretches the 'definition'.

Generally I find 'antagonist' to be a more general term for any character who's motives are at odds with the protagonist (I guess this would be like Jintor's talk of 'roles') regardless of how moralistic that character is. A villain would be a character with either specifically immoral (evil) intentions or methods, and while they are typically antagonists I guess they don't have to be?

Depending on point of view Light is the villain of death note but he is also the protagonist, same with Breaking Bad or any character in the GTA games. It often kind of depends on how the story is written and who the story follows. A series like song of fire and ice/game of thrones from what I've read/seen doesn't really have a villain and depending on the chapter the role of protagonist and antagonist switches around.

foxuzamaki

I feel once you reach that point you also have to remember that they're ninjas and that all of them have killed people mostly under orders, akatsuki
before the main plan was revealed and only 2 or 3 members even knew about it
were mercenaries for hire and they had people who were S class and possibly even at the level of kage so they werent used for any weak shit.

Jintor

for instance, you can have a story where your protagonist is a villain, or an anti-villain, or whatever (the Punisher, for example), but they're not the antagonist.

MikeMyers

The
'twist'
seemed like an asspull to me, I think it'd would be better off if
Sasuke and Itachi both died in a full out draw, but I guess the Sasue's popularity wouldn't let that happen

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah that's a good way to put it simply lol

I think that's why a lot of people call it a retcon and another sign of Kishi's poor planning/writing. Though I do ask what in canon did
itachi
do that you would really consider evil as part of the akatski? I can't really remember anything specifically he did that I'd consider villainous outside of trying to capture Naruto for the 9 tails within him

Helped kill
Gaara
for one. Not his fault he got better. Also put some people including his brother into a nearly inescapable torture coma. Real nice guy there.

I actually wouldn't consider it a retcon though as there was always some shocking mystery reason for him doing it. It comes off though as a marginally improved version of the SAO ending though.

foxuzamaki

The
'twist'
seemed like an asspull to me, I think it'd would be better off if
Sasuke and Itachi both died in a full out draw, but I guess the Sasue's popularity wouldn't let that happen

That wouldnt make sense as a asspull
from the moment we find out about sasuke's backstory something like this was planned, afterall itachi wouldnt kill his entire family for no reason, unless he was just a bad guy or just pull the "he went crazy" card

Helped kill
Gaara
for one. Not his fault he got better. Also put some people including his brother into a nearly inescapable torture coma. Real nice guy there.

I actually wouldn't consider it a retcon though as there was always some shocking mystery reason for him doing it. It comes off though as a marginally improved version of the SAO ending though.

But none of that makes him a villain though, if anything he's more an anti-hero "ends justify the means". Also in the situation you mentioned it's not like he had much choice, what else could he do in that situation?
tried to fight off all the other akatski and save gaara, even if he pulled it off he's be useless in being a mole
. Just because he's a member of the villain group doesn't make him a villain, unless you want to consider characters like Zabuza and Temari villains for their actions during the land of waves and invasion arc respectively.

As man god says I am pretty sure both Gaara and
Itachi
(do really need to spoiler their name?) do pretty villainous things regardless of overall intentions. Neji I would say is a more clearly defined non-villain antagonist .

As man god says I am pretty sure both Gaara and
Itachi
(do really need to spoiler their name?) do pretty villainous things regardless of overall intentions. Neji I would say is a more clearly defined non-villain antagonist .

I was because that characters role in the plot is still really mysterious as are all the akatski and I know a lot of people are watching Shippuden for the first time or haven't seen past a certain point.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's funny how the tone shifts so drastically after the Chunin exams that you tend to forget that these kids are being raised to be killing machines. Of course
the penultimate villain
of the series tries to remind everyone of this
so did Pain
it never quite stuck.

Still I have no problem calling someone who murders
their family and other children
a villain even under orders. We also learn that the five families so to speak of the ninja world do in fact have a code of conduct and seemingly doesn't deal with that shit to sort of smooth out that idea.

MikeMyers

That wouldnt make sense as a asspull
from the moment we find out about sasuke's backstory something like this was planned, afterall itachi wouldnt kill his entire family for no reason, unless he was just a bad guy or just pull the "he went crazy" card

When do we learn about
Sasuke's backstory? I thought he revealed it straight away, but google searching seems to indicate it was revealed later when he fights Naruto?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
When do we learn about
Sasuke's backstory? I thought he revealed it straight away, but google searching seems to indicate it was revealed later when he fights Naruto?

It's not even all revealed then. Sasuke found something that day that doesn't get any sun shone on it until Shippuden.

It's funny how the tone shifts so drastically after the Chunin exams that you tend to forget that these kids are being raised to be killing machines. Of course
the penultimate villain
of the series tries to remind everyone of this
so did Pain
it never quite stuck.

Still I have no problem calling someone who murders
their family and other children
a villain even under orders. We also learn that the five families so to speak of the ninja world do in fact have a code of conduct and seemingly doesn't deal with that shit to sort of smooth out that idea.

But other then to
sasuke
who does that make him a villain for. I'll admit for
sasuke, itachi was the only villain he cared about
. When looking at the story as a whole I just don't see it especially with all the facts that eventually come out. Honestly
the ninja world is probably 100x safer with the uchiha wiped out, Itachi is the only one who didn't go bat shit crazy for petty reasons at any point in the plot
. If we were going by old dnd terms I'd classify him as chaotic good. Heck I'd argue in the scheme of the whole story
sauske is more of a villain then itachi

Either way I still stand by Garra being a villain, but I can see Neji being more "antagonist"

Even if we isolate part 1 Gaara is only really a "villain" for a very small portion of the plot, and even then he himself has no real reason to want to destroy the leaf, he's just really fucked up psychologically. Half of Gaara's screen time in part 1 he's a good guy saving Rock Lee's buns or he's another rival in the chunin exams. Add in part 2 where Gaara is completely a good guy and it really shrinks down any role of "villain" that I'd give him in the overall story. If Gaara had killed his own father and imitated him just so he'd have an excuse to kill people in the invasion arc then he'd be a villain no questions asked, as it stands he's really no more a villain then Konkoro or Temari during that arc.

BatDan

The biggest issue with Naruto, and this is an issue with a lot of authors out there, is that Kishimoto is clearly making this shit up as he goes along.
Constant retcons, plot holes, plot contrivances, elements just not adding up or meshing together correctly, Kishi purposely delaying plot points for years to the point that people no longer care about them or have figured them out already so that when the reveal finally happens nobody gives a crap.

The biggest issue with Naruto, and this is an issue with a lot of authors out there, is that Kishimoto is clearly making this shit up as he goes along.
Constant retcons, plot holes, plot contrivances, elements just not adding up or meshing together correctly, Kishi purposely delaying plot points for years to the point that people no longer care about them or have figured them out already so that when the reveal finally happens nobody gives a crap.

oh man the
tobi/obito thing will go down as the most meandering boring obvious thing ever, or maybe naruto-4th hokage father/son thing

Seda

They never even attempted to hide the second one, so I give him a pass on that.

Hell all the adults knew.

It still feels so odd how they dance around it for soooo long.

EDIT: Heck, I never even got as far as the actual 'reveal' of that plot point

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's basically a weird social experiment in how to raise a boy of destiny ala Harry Potter.

It still should have been put to him clear on paper by Jiraiya at the end of Part 1, if not the Fifth Hokage.

I just realized I've probably accidentally called Tsunade the fourth a few times in filler reviews. He's so easy to forget about when just covering stuff from part 1.

BatDan

I feel it would be more of a twist if he was his father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate. Because why the hell not?

I imagine the 4th/dad thing is more like the laboon/upcoming one piece spoilers
brook
in that it was planned early on but one of those things that the story never got around to showing the audience till way later.

The shippuden spoilers
tobi/obito
thing on the other hand I feel is more a sign of poor planning
tobi is introduced shortly after kakashi gaiden and the first thought everyone has is "oh its obito whos not dead hence hiding his face" and the expectation is that when tobi fights team kakashi he'll escape by revealing "surprise its me" shocking kakashi into being unable to act. Instead tobi eventually worked his way into the role of true mastermind behind the akatski and with his role expanded now his identity has to be a better secret... That everyone's already figured out. Honestly I really wish he had gone with future sasuke instead that would have been a way better twist with far more interesting implications. Or heck make tobi be "real world" Sauske and reveal the whole story has been Ninja inception in a genjutsu where they originally lost to pain or medara

I feel it would be more of a twist if he was his father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate. Because why the hell not?

"nah dog I ain't your pops, we kinda just look alike like those celebrity doubles , you just some chicken shit kid of no name parents

Seda

I imagine the 4th/dad thing is more like the laboon/upcoming one piece spoilers
brook
in that it was planned early on but one of those things that the story never got around to showing the audience till way later.

The shippuden spoilers
tobi/obito
thing on the other hand I feel is more a sign of poor planning
tobi is introduced shortly after kakashi gaiden and the first thought everyone has is "oh its obito whos not dead hence hiding his face" and the expectation is that when tobi fights team kakashi he'll escape by revealing "surprise its me" shocking kakashi into being unable to act. Instead tobi eventually worked his way into the role of true mastermind behind the akatski and with his role expanded now his identity has to be a better secret... That everyone's already figured out. Honestly I really wish he had gone with future sasuke instead that would have been a way better twist with far more interesting implications. Or heck make tobi be "real world" Sauske and reveal the whole story has been Ninja inception in a genjutsu where they originally lost to pain or medara

Not that it makes a huge difference, but isn't the manga and anime ordered differently with regard to
Kakashi Gaiden? Tobi is first introduced at the end of the Sasori arc, Obito not until early pain arc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom