• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar14| No Time for Sissy Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that it makes a huge difference, but isn't the manga and anime ordered differently with regard to
Kakashi Gaiden? Tobi is first introduced at the end of the Sasori arc, Obito not until early pain arc

I believe so, ironically for the route the story took the anime does it better having the flashback later on even if its probably still super obvious after said flashback

b9ed012cb9770386e5ea985ac6ee74e6499bed4e260d40331898059362b4196b.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
how about when Kabuto summons that coffin and we're not told who's in it for like 100 episodes

that was great

Seda

I believe so, ironically for the route the story took the anime does it better having the flashback later on even if its probably still super obvious after said flashback

Yeah, I haven't read the manga (Well, actually haven't 'seen' the Tobi/Obito reveal either, I never got that far) but introducing a masked character shortly after a death flashback is not really the most subtle of things.

MikeMyers

Speaking of villains, now that I think of it Puar and Oolong are the most fucked up villain-turn-hero in DB.

Oolong--Wanted to rape Bulma
Puar--Wanted Yamcha to kill Goku because Oolong bullied him in school.
Yamcha--Just a sidekick to Puar
Kuririn--Hated Goku for like 5 pages, but wasn't really evil.
Tenshinhan--Trained assassin, but all he did was break Yamcha's leg.
Chaozu--Just a sidekick to Tenshinhan.
Yajirobe--Not really evil, just mad that Goku stole his lunch.
Piccolo--Goku says he was less evil once he was reincarnated.

Damn those shapeshifters

MikeMyers

well they got their just desserts, permanently forgotten or the weakest most butt monkeyest status.

Literally every rival is just good in their debut arc, but after that its all downhill.

Except Kuririn, even in 21st Budokai he needed Goku (dumbest character on the show) to remind him he had no nose.

daveo42

Banned
Literally every rival is just good in their debut arc, but after that its all downhill.

Except Kuririn, even in 21st Budokai he needed Goku (dumbest character on the show) to remind him he had no nose.

At least he's not Yamcha. That's a fate worse than death.

MikeMyers

At least he's not Yamcha. That's a fate worse than death.

I honestly think Yamcha's debut is better than Kuririn's. Yamcha at least beat Boss Rabbits men, saved Bulma from getting molested, and alongside Puar took down Oozaru Goku. Kuririn just looked lame from the get-go.

Yamcha
--First Arc: Went over this
--Second Arc: One shot by Jackie Chun
Kuririn
--First Arc: Beats Bacterian (via Goku advice)
--Second Arc: Loses to General Blue and Dracula
Tenshinhan
--First Arc: Wins 22nd Budokai
--Second Arc: Loses to fodder villain that Goku beat in one hit
Chaozu
--First Arc: Loses to Kuririn...okay he sucks but he's pretty cool.
--Second Arc: Dies
Yajirobe
--First Arc: On par with Goku
--Second Arc: Doesn't even qualify for the 23rd Budokai
Piccolo
--First Arc: Puts up decent fight with Goku
--Second Arc: Dies to Nappa, who Goku one-shots.
Vegeta
--First Arc: Destroys Goku easily.
--Second Arc: Humiliated by Freeza, who is humiliated by Goku.

The humans were either garbage from the start or became garbage five minutes after their first fight. Yamcha only appeared to have the advantage because Goku was hungry, Kuririn only seemed to put up a fight at the Budokai because Goku was holding back, and Tenshinhan only won because the car hit Goku. Nearly ALL of the characters serve no greater purpose than to fail miserably so Goku can save the day.

Edit: It's not that I hate these characters, more so mad at Toriyama for sidelining them so fast in favor of Goku.

imagine if the villians kept becoming part of the gang after their respective arcs.

Frieza: "yo hey, I kinda was ruler of the galaxy, destroyed your entire race, killed your best friend (like everyone else hasn't done this) , let's hang and be bros"

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
imagine if the villians kept becoming part of the gang after their respective arcs.

Frieza: "you hey, I kinda was ruler of the galaxy, destroyed your entire race, killed your best friend (like everyone else hasn't done this) , let's hang and be bros"

Medaka box is one of the greatest shonen manga of our time, only flaw is it has a weird ending because lack of sells caused it to end earlier then it was suppose to

And I blame all of you, but especially bass and krev

MikeMyers

Frieza: "you hey, I kinda was ruler of the galaxy, destroyed your entire race, killed your best friend (like everyone else hasn't done this) , let's hang and be bros"

To be fair, the Saiyans were assholes. Frieza was in the right to get rid of them.

Huh, just looked "Krillin" up. The Viz Manga has always used Kuririn, so I just went off that.

Edit: I'm gonna keep this convo in mind next time ZOLO comes up.

MikeMyers

Heh, I can picture a caption of lazybones saying "_____ pls" on there.

General Blue's pretty cool. He's also in DB Movie 4 where he beat the shit out of Yamcha. I like all those DB movies, the early Z ones were good but much like the TV show it started to get boring when it became a Super Saiyan-wank fest. Movie 12 is the only later one I love.

What the title implies.
So over the past week, I've been doing a rewatch of the entirety of Megas XLR
(all 26 Glorious episodes! :( )
. I just wanted to see if one of my favorite series still held up and to my surprise it still does. While there are many flaws inherent with a show that had a fairly low budget and was animated in 2004, It still powered through that and is still an amazingly funny and relevant show.

The main characters are still just as awesome as the day I first saw them. Coop is a Jersey boy who eats a lot and plays video games, and is loud and dumb but he's also not one to back away from a fight which is definitely a hero quality. The other thing I like about him that although he may do dumb shit all the time.
Like knock down an entire city on a planet that he just saved,
Open the gates to another dimension
Blowing up the city every time he operates Megas
Blowing up a planet which then creates a big sun which melts away an icy planet with a species that is already adapted to the cold climate.
(The list goes on and on...), He always figures out a smart
read: even dumber
way to win the fight even if it's not exactly an ideal win.
I mean, He blows up the city like every episode.
He's a great fighter too, Unpredictable maybe but his ta

His two friends are awesome too.
Jamie is more of a comic relief character than a major help but he's a good addition to the team.
But honestly, Kiva is my favorite of the two because not only does she know how to fight, She's more useful as a navigational and advisory officer to Coop which I like.
She's more the straight woman of the group but honestly, I don't really care, She kicks butt.

The villians over the 2 season are great too. They're all mostly incompetent but they all have their own fleshed out personalities as well. There are A LOT too which I like because they are all so varied.

What is so awesome of this show is not only does it have giant freaking mechs fighting, It has great humor in it too. Some of the running gags get me every time like:
- You Wrecked my blahblah, You did this...Etc
-The triumphant music slowing down as Coop realizes that he's still in a bad situation.
-The little kid saying coool...
-The buttons that Coop presses with the funny titles.
Again, The list goes on.
Theme song rocks and the show soundtrack ain't half bad either.

There are some flaws that I've noticed though.
The fighting can be a little repetitive at times but that's to be expected.

But honestly, after watching it again, I really hope that Toonami finds a way to show it again on TV because it's just pure awesome.
I hope that revival that the creator was talking about doing gets made some day too.

In the meantime, I would definitely recommend a rewatch if you haven't seen it in a while because it still holds up.

Ratings are in!

SATURDAY, MARCH 15, 2014
11:30PM Space Dandy 0.9 HH, 1.099 million viewers
12:00AM Bleach 0.8 HH, 1.088 million viewers
12:30AM Naruto: Shippuden 0.8 HH, 1.024 million viewers
1:00AM One Piece 0.7 HH, 964,000 viewers
1:30AM Blue Exorcist 0.7 HH, 955,000 viewers
2:00AM Soul Eater 0.6 HH, 871,000 viewers
2:30AM Naruto 0.6 HH, 673,000 viewers
3:00AM Ghost in the Shell 0.5 HH, 629,000 viewers
3:30AM Fullmetal: Brotherhood 0.5 HH, 692,000 viewers
4:00AM Samurai Jack 0.5 HH, 619,000 viewers
4:30AM IGPX: Immortal Grand Prix 0.5 HH, 680,000 viewers
5:00AM Star Wars: Clone Wars 0.6 HH, 837,000 viewers
5:30AM Sym-Bionic Titan 0.5 HH, 690,000 viewers

For its entire week in Total Day (9 p.m. to 5:59 a.m.), Adult Swim is about the same in total viewership (1.187 million vs. 1.192 million) and about the same among Adults 18-49 (667,000 vs. 670,000) from one week earlier; the network is also down 10 percent in total viewership (1.187 million vs. 1.314 million) and down 8 percent among Adults 18-49 (667,000 vs. 728,000) from the same week one year ago (Mar. 11-17, 2013).

Source: http://www.tvmediainsights.com/tvratings/42971/adult-swim-ratings-scorecard-week-of-march-10-2014/

Here are the numbers from one year prior (March 16th, 2013)

12:00AM Bleach 1.197 million viewers
12:30AM Naruto 1.132 million viewers
1:00AM Evangeleon 1.11 959,000 viewers
3:30AM FMA Brotherhood 802,000 viewers
4:00AM Cowboy Bebop 748,000 viewers
4:30AM Cowboy Bebop 702,000 viewers
5:00AM Inuyasha 622,000 viewers
5:30AM Inuyasha 619,000 viewers

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Least we got triple million, & One Piece is still doing good compared to the 700,000-ish from a few weeks back.

Now I wonder how well Black Lagoon will do.

Oh hey! Gucci's back and he brought the ratings with him. The block did pretty good this week. Except for SBT. Goddamn you, America. I thought you were better than this.

Glad to be back guys!

As for Clone Wars, remember that these are live tv and same day DVR numbers meaning that if a show is recorded but viewed within 24 hours of broadcasting, it counts. That's one reason why I think Star Wars does so well; there's a lot of families with children taping the show and watching the next day.

Also, I applied for a job at Nielsen yesterday, fingers crossed that they like my resume and call me in for an interview! I'd be a sales representative in the field, so basically the guy who get families to join the sample size and tracks their viewing habits.

daveo42

Banned
Welcome back Gucci! Nielsen would definitely be an interesting place to work.

Not bad numbers overall, even after the drop from the previous week. Speaking of how Nielsen gathers their data, I'd loved to see their stat difference in the 72 hour range, even if advertisers/networks don't care about anything past the 24 hour mark.

Speaking of Dandy, I made this post over in the OT earlier today and figure it's worth sharing here. Sorry in advance for the length:

I’ve officially given up on expecting any sort of continuity in Space Dandy as far as the story goes and am starting to enjoy the show for what it is – a wacky space themed comedy with stellar animation that doesn’t take itself too seriously. Speaking of the animation, it seems like every week something new makes me sit back and say “Wow, these visuals are extremely impressive.” The big action sequences obviously stick out but I find myself appreciating the little things, like how Scarlett’s garments wrinkled and moved in a realistic fashion last weekend. The facial expressions are also..well, expressive! This is some god tier animation at work here; we’re truly being spoiled even though the script doesn’t always live up to the eye candy.

As for the actual episode content, this was a confusing one to say the least but I’ll try to make sense of it. From what I gathered Dr. Gel was given a book by Admiral Perry (skeleton guy) that he checked out from the planet Lagado which happens to be a massive library of sorts for the universe. This book, known as ‘the librarian’, happens to be sentient and takes over his mind in order to solve a formula about time space distortions. This makes sense considering Dr. Gel is a gifted scientist, as confirmed by Admiral Perry during the episode, and happens to have the resources of a massive space empire at his disposal. Due to Dr. Gel’s preoccupation with the formula, Bea is given control over the attack on Lagado which Perry has authorized because he doesn’t want to pay a fee for the overdue book. What a cheapskate.

Anyway, somehow the librarian is separated from Dr. Gel and finds its way into Dandy’s hands thanks to his ‘unique energy’ the Gogol Empire keeps mentioning; I took this to be confirmation that Dandy is the key to this multiverse theory the show relies on to explain how characters die and come back the next week with no repercussions. Is this power what the Gogol and Jaicro empires are fighting over? Hmm, looks like we’re slowly unraveling that mystery, although I don’t expect it to be fully explored until season 2.

Eventually the ticket found at Boobies, who also happens to be a sentient being from Lagado, decides it’s time to go home and manipulates the crew into traveling to its home world through Honey as a coupon advertising free food. Dandy and the crew warp to Lagado as Bea and the Gogol Empire prepare to attack it. Upon noticing Dandy’s arrival Bea attempts to capture him but he escapes, vanishing into thin air before they can pull him in with the tractor beam. Dandy and crew, unaware of the danger posed by this massive fleet of ships, assume they were at Lagado for the free food.

Dandy and company make their way through the planet to a chamber where they are introduced to the Librarian and ticket that led them there. Here they confirm that the book is an alien who uses other people’s brains to think because according to the duo, “doing so is much easier than thinking for oneself, afterall.” The Librarian is revealed to have the power to alter memories at will which explains why nobody can remember anything; she uses this as a form of mind control due to the inability to move her physical body unassisted. Dandy and the crew go on a number of adventures with her over the span of 6 months because she wanted to explore the universe and saw Dandy as her best option to get home after being checked out by Admiral Perry. Think of the name “Secrets of the Cosmos for Dummies”. Remember when the librarian said that it uses other people’s brains to think because doing so is so much easier than thinking for yourself? This is actually some pretty deep stuff although viewer has to travel a convoluted road to get to this point. I think the overall theme of the episode is that knowledge is a powerful tool that can consume a person if used for the wrong purpose. True knowledge resides within those willing to discover the truth rather than be handed it on a silver platter. This kind of reminded me of Plato’s cave allegory in The Republic, that may be a bit of a reach but I can see some parallels, I wonder if portions of the book served as inspiration for this episode?

Probably not. This is reach of Mr. Fantastic proportions but let me have my moment.

As a thank you to Dandy and crew for letting her waste 6 months of their lives the librarian wipes their memories and gives them a box as a souvenir. The only thing the crew remembers after this is that they came into contact with a rare alien and that this mysterious box has something to do with it so naturally they try to cash in on their discovery. Then the episode takes a left turn and the world is destroyed in a format war or something? Yeah..this was a weird, overly complex episode that I don’t fully understand even after multiple viewings.

The whole film noir vibe was pretty cool but left me wishing there was less dialogue a la Samurai Jack, and that the writers let the atmosphere and soothing tunes take over. The Librarian’s planet was very haunting and reminded me of a Metroid game for some reason but I guess that direction doesn’t mesh well with the comedic overtones of the show.

Overall this was a really odd episode that I’m still trying to figure out. The noir look was definitely a jarring change of pace; I personally prefer the more colorful episodes we had been getting the last couple of weeks but can appreciate the switch. Dandy has been aces for me the last 4 or so episodes but this one was meh, it seemed way too complex for its own good and the story could have been structured better in my opinion. It didn’t need to be dumbed down, just made easier to follow because the confusion comes from a lack of structure and pacing in my opinion.

Sorry for the long post

Thoughts? I'm still trying to piece together this puzzle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom