• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar14| No Time for Sissy Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

Ah oaky.

Although I do think HxH has superb writing, I'm not sure if its a fair comparison considering he has like a whole year to come up with a good idea for a chapter compared to most series on here that have like a week to do it.

Well with the anime ending he will have no excuse to stay on hiatus once the money runs dry.

The only way I can see him still taking breaks is if he married some other hugely popular author that has an anime coming out later this year and the odds of that are one in a mill...

Wait...what?!?!?

tumblr_inline_mqhj1iqVts1qz4rgp.gif

MikeMyers

There's actually a rumor that PRINCESS NAOKO saw the Sailor Moon dub and has resented English dubs ever since, hence why we haven't seen a redub.

I'd laugh if that's what is stopping HxH from getting dubbed.

Whogie

That Toonami's removing it. I've been watching it weekly.

Gotta track down the rest somehow.
Good to know it gets a proper conclusion. Sucks when long series like these don't.

Whogie

Thank you.
Going through the episode list, I see what you mean by Final Act, in that it's like another series.

Just saw that oscars thread...what a trainwreck.

That's why I don't really interact with certain segments of GAF, especially in the OT.

FoodGAF - Ruined by NYC dwellers who claim their food is superior in every way, undebatable to everyone elses. The whole tough guy new yorker act just puts me off.

MusicGAF - Did it ever appear on the radio? It's shit. Only indie bands that you've likely never heard of will fit their eclectic (hating this word more and more with time) tastes. This is what the U2 shitting breeds from.

daveo42

Banned
Caught up on the OP discussion and Dandy from Saturday. Glad to see that the current arc shakin' minds and being as awesome as I remembered it. Still more to come for those experiencing it for the first time.

Dandy was a bit fucked and trippy. The art and feel of the entire episode felt like I was watching Cat Soup, including the ending. I liked it a lot, even through it didn't get anywhere near as deep or philosophical as I had hoped. I guess you just don't have much time to work with to really dig in. While not the best (the race one is tops), I'd rank it fairly high.

Watched a bit of the Oscars last night. I'm not all that big into movies, but I liked it well enough even if I had only watched a few of the movies listed there. Miyazaki should have gotten it for animation instead of Frozen. The Wind Rises is definitely the superior film.

MikeMyers

Yeah there are some parts of GAF I just avoid too. I did watch the Oscars as I know all the people in my film class will be talking about it, but I never really cared for it. I mean, most Oscar winners are easily forgotten about. I haven't seen one person mention The Artist since it won two years ago.

Yeah there are some parts of GAF I just avoid too. I did watch the Oscars as I know all the people in my film class will be talking about it, but I never really cared for it. I mean, most Oscar winners are easily forgotten about. I haven't seen one person mention The Artist since it won two years ago.

There is absolutely something to be said about the picks the Academy makes, especially in recent years. Consistent snubbing of certain subject matters, apology picks, guilt picks, etc just kinda begs to question the validity of the whole affair. What exactly gets snubbed differs from person to person as well, to the point it is almost bordering on conspiracy theory.

For example, I had a teacher for German in high school who was also a huge film buff. He was adamant that the Academy would consistently snub best picture from anything involving nazis or the holocaust. I can't remember his excuse for Schindler's List winning but I think it was pretty crazy like "It made the jews in Hollywood feel good about themselves!" or something along those lines. I think it is still worth watching and there is definitely still acclaim and promotion from the winners. Hell, even nominees get acclaim. Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa is now an Academy Award nominated film forever. Let that one keep sinking in.

I haven't seen The Wind Rises yet. I wanted to go see it today but I'm being kept in on account of Winter Storm Titan:

XMYLJE2.png

Levyne

Banned
When did we start naming winter storms, I guess it makes it easier to panic through social media to had a name for our shapeless weather antogonists

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Frozen won because nobody saw The Wind Rises, and even if they did, they would only vote for the movie their kids were gushing about because that's what animation's for, right?

See also: the "animated heroes" montage last night being almost exclusively Disney and Dreamworks characters and as near as I could tell 100% American clips.

daveo42

Banned
There is absolutely something to be said about the picks the Academy makes, especially in recent years. Consistent snubbing of certain subject matters, apology picks, guilt picks, etc just kinda begs to question the validity of the whole affair. What exactly gets snubbed differs from person to person as well, to the point it is almost bordering on conspiracy theory.

For example, I had a teacher for German in high school who was also a huge film buff. He was adamant that the Academy would consistently snub best picture from anything involving nazis or the holocaust. I can't remember his excuse for Schindler's List winning but I think it was pretty crazy like "It made the jews in Hollywood feel good about themselves!" or something along those lines. I think it is still worth watching and there is definitely still acclaim and promotion from the winners. Hell, even nominees get acclaim. Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa is now an Academy Award nominated film forever. Let that one keep sinking in.

I haven't seen The Wind Rises yet. I wanted to go see it today but I'm being kept in on account of Winter Storm Titan:

XMYLJE2.png

Based on what my roommate has said, the Academy does follow some pretty predictable patters and usually the best film isn't what is really picked. Getting recognized as a nominee helps out tons for pretty much everyone involved. Directors, actors, actresses; everyone benefits from being recognized which makes up for some of the choices made by the Academy.

How bad is it over your way? We only got a little ice and some snow yesterday. The drive in this morning was pretty uneventful in SW Ohio. I kind of want to go see The Wind Rises again.

Frozen won because nobody saw The Wind Rises, and even if they did, they would only vote for the movie their kids were gushing about because that's what animation's for, right?

See also: the "animated heroes" montage last night being almost exclusively Disney and Dreamworks characters and as near as I could tell 100% American clips.

That montage was really really bad as it was 95% Disney and DreamWorks. They both make good animated films, but it's sad to see this perception of animated films from the Academy.

TheChits

I'd consider myself a pretty big film buff and I don't know if I have ever watched the oscars

When did we start naming winter storms, I guess it makes it easier to panic through social media to had a name for our shapeless weather antogonists

The beanie suits you.

I think it started in 2012 with the very hopes of getting people to pay attention and to get better prepared for winter storms like they do hurricanes.

I think they got tired of naming things Snowmaggedon and Snowpocalypse. I don't mind it because I think the names are better than those I just listed.

How bad is it over your way? We only got a little ice and some snow yesterday. The drive in this morning was pretty uneventful in SW Ohio. I kind of want to go see The Wind Rises again.

The last storm was worse for me. They closed the Federal Government pretty early in the evening last night. If I had to guess, I'd say we're at ~6+ inches here in MD. I'm northwest of DC, but I'm still in the metro area (about 5-10 min drive from the furthest NW metro stop). I can still see snow falling outside but Im not sure if it is very big flakes. It looks pretty light. I wouldn't be surprised if we have telework or closed tomorrow again. The funny part is, contrary to the usual, DC and southern MD are getting wrecked whereas we're getting the lighter snow. I'm just really glad I have a federal job, don't have to go in and still get paid for it.

MikeMyers

Eminem has more Oscars than Alfred Hitchcock, let that sink in.

Not a fan of Spielberg of Schindler's List either, to be honest.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Funny thing is the Bayo 2 talk only happens when someone starts a new thread on it. If no one makes the thread no one goes out of their way to bump it or even bring it up in other Wii U threads. But once someone actually hits the new thread button you get a thousand plus posts of idiots and people saying the same thing to the idiots.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Sounds like the Oscars weren't watching last night. No surprise there.

And yeah, if you enter a Bayo 2 thread, bring a bodybag.

Having not seen either film, how did Gravity win virtually every award EXCEPT best picture? The only other award 12 years a slave won is for screen play so is screen play > everything else in film?

I don't watch movies that often and when i do they are either animated or some blockbuster thing . I must have saw 3 movies last year and so far haven't seen one this year in theaters. Awards shows I typically have easily avoided watching, though these days my twitter feeds are filled with people watching it, commenting on outfits, expressing social commentary, blah, and celebrating when minority groups and non-problematic/self-congratulatory films/tvshows/music/whatever win . Even with the intersectional commentary it's still just a huge bore though, congrats to Lupita Nyong'o though.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Having not seen either film, how did Gravity win virtually every award EXCEPT best picture? The only other award 12 years a slave won is for screen play so is screen play > everything else in film?

Because Gravity was a technical marvel and a masterful achievement of filmmaking ingenuity but not such a great actual MOVIE. Hence it won pretty much everything related to the actual task of making the film, but not the award for actually being the best film.

Raxus

Because Gravity was a technical marvel and a masterful achievement of filmmaking ingenuity but not such a great actual MOVIE. Hence it won pretty much everything related to the actual task of making the film, but not the award for actually being the best film.

Basically. It was an excellent technical achievement but it falls short in the writing and characters (George Clooney plays George Clooney and Sandra Bullock wasn't a great lead sadly). I still highly recommend the movie and it got the rewards it deserved.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I would just like to take the time to shout out how good silver spoons is and that Hiromu Arakawa is in no way a one hit wonder, but a brilliant author.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom