• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar15| the smartest anime is back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
In my canon Member days I also sometimes said wacky shit that I didn't mean but most of the time was shooting straight from the hip.

I did honestly trick my brain into liking Bleach though near the end, which was a feat.

Jarate

Banned
Papenbrook isnt too bad in SAO, in fact, I think the dub is pretty good for SAO

Attack on Titan was not a good role for him, he cant do melodrama that well (I doubt anyone can) but him activating Titan form might be the worst performance of Toonmai, although I like the AoT dub more then most do.

Seda

Papenbrook isnt too bad in SAO, in fact, I think the dub is pretty good for SAO

Attack on Titan was not a good role for him, he cant do melodrama that well (I doubt anyone can) but him activating Titan form might be the worst performance of Toonmai, although I like the AoT dub more then most do.

I've said before the SAO dub is actually pretty competent all around, I feel. But yes angry growling Eren isn't the best fit.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on Toonami, Goku and friends pick up the pieces and turn their thoughts to Piccolo's true homeworld of Namek, Satsuki announces a new schoolwide General Election for Honnouji Academy: a week-long rumble for Goku Uniforms, IF YOU DIE IN THE GAME BULLETS FLY OUT OF YOUR ETHERNET PORT FOR REAL, Naraku uses a powerful priestess to set his sights on Kagome, Yamato's team (and Sora) tussle with the enemy ninja some more, Spandam fucks up even more than usual, and finally it's back to Shinganshima as the Titans return.

8:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 16 - Defeat the Invincible Vegeta! Work a Miracle, Gohan!
8:30 - One Piece - 293 - Bubble Master Kalifa! The Soap Trap Closes in on Nami!
12:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 17 - Dawn of the Fierce Battle! The Star of Hope is Piccolo's Homeland!
12:30 - KILL la KILL - 8 - I Will Wipe My Own Tears
1:00 - Sword Art Online II - 1 - World of Guns
1:30 - Inuyasha: The Final Act - 16 - Hitomiko's Barrier
2:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 60 - Impermanence
2:30 - One Piece - 294 - Resounding Bad News! The Buster Call Invoked!
3:00 - Attack on Titan - 1 - To You, After 2,000 Years: The Fall of Shiganshina, Part 1

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The actors in SAO did a good job, they just had to deal with horrific writing.

"World of Guns" No relation to World of Tanks

ckohler

I totally forgot Shippuden was pushed back. If only it was after One Piece rather than before it. Actually, it gives me an excuse to watch it. The show has turned into a rather fun hate-watch. There's also the possibility that it might actually get good one day judging by what people have said before.

"World of Guns" No relation to World of Tanks

My Time Warner Cable DVR incorrectly says SAO episode one is airing tonight (instead of SAO II). Here is the description:

"The World of Swords" (2012), It's launch day for one of the most highly-anticipated video games of all time. Join the character "Kirito" as he begins his journey in the virtual world of Sword Art Online.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The few moments of it being good don't offset the many, many episodes of it being bad

Nope, I disagree. Shippuden actually has a short run of being great and then a very long run of being about as good as the original that is more than enough to redeem the painfully slow start.

Moaradin

The best arc in the entirety of the Naruto franchise is the next arc in Shippuden, so there. Then after that it's consistently good to great for a while (minus the fillers in between).

Jintor

I actually agree with Man God.

SAO was at its best (hahahaha) when it was a slice-of-life Kirito-as-Batman show. Alfheim Online was just boring as shit except when it was creepy as shit.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The best arc in the entirety of the Naruto franchise is the next arc in Shippuden, so there. Then after that it's consistently good to great for a while (minus the fillers in between).

I've never watched the whole thing contiguously in either language but it's just about tied with the Bring Back the Sauce arc.

Also some of the Non-Canon™ episodes of Shippuden are quite good.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
As far as the original series goes:

Bring Back the Sauce
Chunin Exams
Land of Waves
Find Tsunade

the upcoming Shippuden arc is right below Bring Back the Sauce.

Moaradin

I never really loved those early Naruto arcs. I mean, they're good for a standard shonen I guess. I thought the Chunin exams were done much better in Hunter x Hunter.

Seda

Is this a case of toonami-gaf over-hype or is Shippuden really going to get better than the Chunin Exam/Sasuke retrieval arcs

Here's a quick spoiler free rundown, but I'm going to black bar it anyway.
The next canon Shippuden Arc is sometimes called 'Immortals' and sometimes "Hidan and Kakuzu". It's 17 episodes long, shorter than the 3 arcs before it (32, 21, 18). It still has some annoying tendencies, the biggest being "flashbacks" (although some of these are of the backstory kind, not repeated scenes, but still a bit intrusive). There's a filler episode thrown in about shenanigans at the Ramen shop, there also an episode that's basically an Akatsuki council which sets up the following arc, both of which are pretty boring. The arc in general starts out a little slowly, but most do.

The first two arcs of Shippuden are a total slog. But I'm a fan of this one, largely because it mostly takes focus away from Naruto, but not completely. I think it does some semismart things with irony and ends with some satisfying notes.

It's not, like, masterclass anime or anything, but I'm not lying when I say it's my favorite arc in the series.

I'm not as big of a fan of the next canon arc as some people, the only parts in part 2 that I really like are
All fights that the real Itachi takes part in, Tobi before he takes his mask off, and the pain fight

Rewatching last week's DBZ on AS right now. Vegeta really is one dense motherfucker. Took him like 10 seconds to come to the realization that Gohan with a tail was a threat. Then he took some time out of the fight to talk about that realization outloud. Then instead of just cutting his tail with his superpowered finger strength or something, he actually charges up an attack. Then there's the whole Yajirobe shit. Just a colossal fuck up this one.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Rewatching last week's DBZ on AS right now. Vegeta really is one dense motherfucker. Took him like 10 seconds to come to the realization that Gohan with a tail was a threat. Then he took some time out of the fight to talk about that realization outloud. Then instead of just cutting his tail with his superpowered finger strength or something, he actually charges up an attack. Then there's the whole Yajirobe shit. Just a colossal fuck up this one.

It's one of my favorite episodes because of this. He is tired as fuck though and not thinking straight.

TheChits

Definitely one of the best and one of the few good things to come out of Shippuden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom