• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar15| the smartest anime is back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
(to be fair you can kind of make that argument for One Piece)

You can, but One Piece shakes it up enough with each arc that you don't notice unless you're looking or nitpicking. You can make that argument for any long running show, the problem with Fairy Tail is that it goes beyond what we would normally expect for this and does the exact same plot twists and points every time.

Seda

I think DeMarco acknowledged at one point that they like the mix of long-runners and short length shows. Considering we have 3 100+ episode shows already, I somewhat doubt Fairy Tail is on the cards, but if there isn't much else available who knows.

Jarate

Banned
I think DeMarco acknowledged at one point that they like the mix of long-runners and short length shows. Considering we have 3 100+ episode shows already, I somewhat doubt Fairy Tail is on the cards, but if there isn't much else available who knows.

We all know what the true answer to this conundrum is

Ping-Pong is confirmed never coming.

zKxL2w2.jpg

Puruzi

Banned
Haikyuu would be better for Toonami.
Too many scrubs would say ping pong looks like MS Paint
I know people in real life who have said this shit.

Too old to make dealing with the extra long and extra boring first episode worth it.

2011 is too old now?

How about: Shot to the heart, Death Gun's to blame

sorry for the poor music reference.

LOL

This gets my vote (even though it should be shot through the heart)

Also Magi makes too much sense its the perfect Toonami show. They could air both seasons back to back.

And Ping Pong looks like crap but we've been through this song and dance before lets drop it

it would probably look better had it been done in ms paint

With that extra long first episode it is.

The fact we had Hellsing Ultimate on the block and we have the filler rerun spot means that really wouldn't be an issue. The bigger issue is the episode is boring exposition for an hour.

I think we'll see F/Z on the block after F/SN UBW which has a lot more action in its first hour long episode. If F/SN UBW does well you can advertise F/Z as the prequel to F/SN and that will help people get over that boring first episode hump.

Honestly (and hear me out on this,)
I can only see Adult Swim picking up Fairy Tail and tossing it next to Kai at 8:30PM.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Sword Art Online Episode 20: General of the Blazing Flame

In which the Gary Stu-ness begins to spiral out of control

Before I go into this, here's a reminder that this is literally Kirito's second day playing this game.

So Kirito and Lifa rush out of the cave and fly towards the meeting place, but they're too late. Yui has detected 60+ Salamanders about to reach the meeting place where the Sylphs and Cat People are. The Salamanders stop and prepare to attack, but suddenly Kirito jumps in. He shouts that he wants to talk to the Salamander leader and flies into the air to meet him.

The general, for his part, says that he's going to kill Kirito but he might as well hear him out. Kirito lies his ass off and says he's the ambassador for a Spriggan-Undine alliance, which would be bad news because those guys scare the Borg
nobody gets that reference Htown, because nobody plays Star Trek Online
, and that attacking the meeting will mean all four races will be coming for the Salamanders. The general points out that Kirito's gear is ass and therefore he's not an ambassador, but if he can survive a duel for 30 seconds he'll believe him.

Back on the ground, Sakuya, leader of the Sylphs, says that Kirito's gonna be fighting General Eugene. This guy is arguably the best player in the game, and he has a really kickass sword. Anyway, the fight starts, and it's honestly pretty fun to watch. Kirito starts off by getting his ass handed to him because Eugene's sword actually phases through any sword or shield block attempt as a passive ability. At some point, Kirito says "hey I think that's 30 seconds already" and Eugene says "yeah whatever gonna kill you anyway." Kirito casts a spell that is essentially a smoke bomb big enough to form a mushroom cloud. As everybody is inside the smoke, he swipes Lifa's sword real quick.

The smoke clears and nobody sees Kirito, but then it turns out he's above the general, doing a dive with the sun at his back. Eugene tries to use his sword, but Kirito dodges and pulls out Lifa's sword in his other hand. He slashes the shit out of Eugene with both swords and there's an explosion as Eugene is slammed into the ground and dies.

There's silence for a few seconds, before all the players on both sides start going "holy shit Kirito that was an awesome fight." And now witness as everyone praises Kirito for the whole rest of the episode. Sakuya resurrects General Eugene, who says Kirito might be the best player he's ever seen or something like that. He says he's pulling the Salamanders out because he doesn't want to get on the bad side of the (fictional) Spriggan-Undine Alliance. Eugene promises they'll fight again, Kirito agrees and they literally bro out and do a fist bump before the Salamanders leave. Sakuya asks what the hell is going on anyway.

After the offscreen explanation of Sigurd's treachery, Sakuya talks about how Sigurd is power hungry and gets the queen of the cat people or whatever to open a magic mirror to Sigurd. Sigurd is surprised to see his plan failed of course, and he gets fired/banished by Sakuya. Then we get a scene where the leaders of both factions want the D from Kirito really really badly. They're each grabbing an arm and flirting and then they start fighting with each other because Sakuya is trying to emphasize her big ol boobies and cat lady is all over him, then ... (sigh) then Lifa gets jealous and tries to pull Kirito away because "he's my... my...." and then she blushes and gets quiet.

Whatever, when it seems like Kirito's not actually going to insert his penis into anyone at the moment, the conversation moves on. Lifa asks if the alliance between the Sylph and Cait Sith was for an attempt on the World Tree, and if so can Kirito and Lifa join them? The World Tree attempt was actually the plan, but it'll take time to get everybody's gear up to par and get ready, so it won't be in time for what Kirito is trying to do. Kirito tells them there's someone he knows at the World Tree and he can't reach them IRL so he's trying to do it here. Then he straight up gives everybody a big-ass bag full of money (which I guess he got for killing Eugene? Maybe? It's not explained) and they say "awesome! we'll be ready as soon as we can."

Everybody leaves but Lifa, and Yui comes out to chide Kirito for "flirting." Seems his heart rate increased when the women were all over him. Kirito says he can't help it because he's a guy and that's just what happens, and Lifa says well what about me, is it a problem when we get close? And Yui's like nah, you're good. Kirito says he doesn't even think of her as a girl or something like that, and Lifa gets a little mad, blah blah blah off to the world tree.

MEANWHILE, IN THE BIRD CAGE, we are luckily spared from any implied sexual assault this week as Asuna just wakes up and uses the code she sneakily saw to open the cage and walk free.

Good fight scene, but all of Kirito's progress feels completely unearned. Like, when did he learn all these spells? How come nobody else can beat him when he's only been in-game for a day and has weak-ass gear?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
meh, Devilman is by far way more Broken in Dragonball as long as his opponent isnt Goku or Gohan

everyone else would go boom against him

Devilman has lost, he's not even the strongest in his own universe. Takamura's a normal dude, in a universe filled with normal dudes, and he managed to KO a bear with only his fists. That's some Seijiro Hiko level shit right there.

Is it kid friendly? Depends on the price/budget but I could see it happen, although it would be a longshot

Fairy Tail the sort of show that could have easily fit on old Toonami weekday airings with some censoring; the FUNimation trailer for the first release was even done in the style of old Toonami promos. The only real issue is that the fanservice greatly increases as it goes on.

Jarate

Banned
I haven't watched it but the art style does look off-putting. I wouldn't be surprised if people were apprehensive about watching it for that reason.

do yourself a favor and watch it right now

The art style is incredibly well done, and the animation is sick.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Sword Art Online Episode 21: The Truth of Alfheim

Y'all need Jesus.

No.

Nah, breh.

Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom