• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar15| the smartest anime is back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckohler

I don't like the character designs in Ping Pong. Even though it's probably entirely hand animated, it looks too much like bad rotoscoping. It's too close to looking photo-real to the point that the characters are just plain unattractive.

Having said that, I think the guy's animation chops are off the charts. That's some really dynamic, fluid stuff. Very stylish. I just wish the characters didn't look like monsters.

Seda

3AQmK.gif

Seda

That episode alone had
_600+_
posts.

PROTIPZ

When linking to a specific section of a thread (using a PC web browser):

1.) Click the post number in the upper right corner of the post. This opens up a link to the post alone, but sometimes you don't want that specifically.

2.) On the 'View Single Post' page, click the thread title in the upper right.

This will lead you to a link to the thread, starting at that specific post. Doesnt matter your thread settings or mobile/desktop. Don't be a scrub and link to a thread page!

:/ Didn't link to the exact post where they start. People who use a different PPP setting will be lost.

See my edit.

That episode alone had posts.

PROTIPZ

1.) Click the post number in the upper right corner of the post. This opens up a link to the post alone, but sometimes you don't want that specifically.

This will lead you to a link to the thread, starting at that specific post. Doesnt matter your thread settings or mobile/desktop. Don't be a scrub and link to a thread page!

This should be in a sticky thread on top of both gaming side and off topic side

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Sword Art Online Episode 21: The Truth of Alfheim

In which Htown realizes this whole enterprise may have been a mistake

Episode opens with Lifa and Kirito reaching Arun, the city at the base of the world tree. It's late so they find a cheap inn and log out. Next morning Suguha and Kazuto (I was wrong, I did finally remember Kirito's real name) are talking and she says she stayed up till 4 tooling around online. Kazuto says not to overdo it before playfully dropping a handful of cold water down the back of Suguha's shirt. She says he owes her a smoothie or something I don't know, then asks if he's doing anything that day. He's going to the hospital, and she decides she wants to come with.

Meanwhile we catch up with Asuna as she tries to make her way to safety. She moves down the tree branches until she sees a door, which opens into a curved hallway. She finds a map on the wall, and looks for somewhere she could open a menu and log out, before she sees something marked "experiment hangar." She finds the room and it's a bunch of cylindrical pods with holographic displays of human brains. This is where Creepy Guy is doing his experiments on people. She promises to do something to help, but then she has to hide as two giant slugs enter the room and start talking science bullshit about the experiments.

Kazuto and Suguha are on a bus and they talk about what Kazuto will have to do to get back into school. Apparently there's some special class or something for SAO survivors.

Asuna sees a floating black cube across the room and recognizes it as an admin interface like in SAO. She runs down there and manages to get to a log out confirmation screen before she's grabbed from behind by one of the slugs.

Kazuto and Suguha go into Asuna's hospital room and he introduces his sister to Asuna.

Asuna tries a bluff about knowing Creepy Guy and how she was just about to leave when they grabbed her, but the slugs aren't buying it. They recognize that she's the girl from the cage, and Creepy Slug says "I don't think it's fair that he gets to have all the fun with this cute girl." No. No, Sword Art Online, you stop that right now. Asuna tells the slugs they're scientists and they shouldn't be doing this to people, but the slugs say it's more humane than animal testing and by the way we give them cool dreams so it's totally okay.

Creepy Slug tells Other Slug to go log off and find out what the boss wants them to do with her. After he leaves, Creepy Slug says he wants to do electro-drugs with Asuna, and then uh. Well you've kinda seen enough hentai to know where this is going. He holds her upside-down, fondles her with a tentacle, then wraps his tentacles tightly around her legs and torso, she says please stop, etc. He makes the mistake of putting a tentacle too close to her mouth and she bites down hard. He puts her down, then Other Slug comes back like, "what's going on?" Other Slug calls Creepy Slug a perv before they both bring her back to the cage.

Meanwhile back in the hospital room, Suguha thinks that Asuna is really pretty, and about how she doesn't know what she wants. Should she just "be a good sister or . . ." Why, SAO? Why?

Asuna gets thrown back in the cage and the slugs change the door code. Asuna thinks something like "I'm not giving up, Kirito!" or something along those lines.

Lifa logs back in and she's real sad. Kirito logs in and asks if she's alright. She starts crying and saying she's not alright, she just got her heart broken. She cries on Kirito's shoulder as she thinks to herself that she's in love with her brother and that's something she can't tell anyone.

Dammit.

Anyway, they decide to go on, and as they walk through the town they all look at all the members of the different races living together peacefully, with a special notice by Lifa of some flirting couple on a bench. They talk about the world tree at some point, and it turns out the devs closed the exploit that the players used to fly as high as the lower branches the last time, and in fact put a barrier up there. They enter the center of town and suddenly Yui perks up! "Mommy!" she cries. She can sense Asuna up in the tree! She's here! Kirito's like LEEROY and flies straight up as fast as he can as Lifa calls to him from the ground.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
When Funi posted a Ninja themed picture on their Facebook feed, I thought it was related to Shuriken Sentai Ninninger. Not knowing this was a thing.

Pretty good voice cast though.
If they continue doing Simuldubs, maybe this will be The Final Act's replacement.

Yeah this seems like a prime candidate for a simuldub on Funimations website for sure

Htown

On the other hand, there are only four more episodes. If I just keep pushing I could be done with this tonight.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Odd question, but does anyone have the context of that Scooby-Doo "That's My Fetish" GIF?

Odd question, but does anyone have the context of that Scooby-Doo "That's My Fetish" GIF?

I know it's from What's New Scooby Doo, but I can't find what episode. Based upon the fact it's from WNSD and Fred's the only one excited it probably has something to do with a trap or creating a trap as WNSD is when Fred's gimmick became his trap fetish.

Oh man, reading those reactions again was so worth it. I was cracking up.

PROTIPZ

Thanks, yo.

Jarate

Banned
You know, when you think about it, Vegeta was the only guy who killed one of the villains in this arc.

#theherowedeserve

VEGETA'S OVERALL WIN LOSS STANDINGS

Nappa: W (dubious at best)
Goku & Earthlings; L
Cui: W
Dodoria: W
Zarbon 1: L
Zarbon 2: W
Guldo: W
Recoome: L
Jeice: W
Freiza: L
Android 19: W
Android 18: L
Cell 1: W?
Cell 2: L
Punching Machine: W
Pui Pui: W
Goku: W (doesnt actually win, Goku loses on purpose)
Buu: L
Super Buu: L
Kid Buu: W?

12-8 lifetime in fights, Vegeta has a better W/L then gohan

People who say that Vegeta is disrespected in DBZ are silly

Htown

Sword Art Online Episode 22: The Grand Quest

In which we're really doing this, huh?

So we pick up where last episode left off. Kirito shoots up toward the tree, and slams directly into an invisible wall. Then he does it again. And again, like a bird that doesn't understand the concept of windows. Leafa (apparently I've been spelling it wrong this whole time) is concerned and wonders why Kirito cares about this person so much. Yui calls out for Mommy.

In the birdcage, Asuna suddenly sees a warning symbol in the upper corner of her vision, and she can hear Yui's voice. She calls down, but when she doesn't get an answer she figures she needs to drop something so they will know she's up there.

Kirito keeps making dumb attempts to get through the barrier, and tells Leafa he has to try. He sees something falling from the tree. It's a keycard. (Apparently Asuna pocketed this last episode and I failed to notice.) Yui says it's an admin keycard, but it's useless without the correct terminal. They figure out that Asuna probably dropped it. Kirito says he's going to attempt the world tree by himself, and he grasps Leafa's hand to thank her for her help and say goodbye. He drops down to the ground in a three point landing and zooms for the tree. There are big statues blocking the entrance and they ask if he wants to start the grand quest. He does, and does a bunch of posing with his sword that is supposed to make him look badass or something, but we know that sword is vendor garbage, bro.

So he goes in the room and it's essentially a gigantic cylinder and he needs to get to the top. Enemies keep spawning out of these panels on the walls, and we get a pretty decently animated fight as he kills a few of them. He starts flashing back to moments with Asuna and chanting her name as he fights higher and higher. Unfortunately, those damn Anor Londo archers shoot him like seven times and he dies.

At this point, Kirito finds himself staring at like a ten minute respawn timer, and goes into an existential crisis and stuff, questioning why he didn't respect the game's rules and going on about how he thought he could do anything and is this his punishment for hubris and all this nonsense. Dude you just said three minutes ago that it wasn't a big deal if you died in this game, get it together.

Suddenly all the enemies that are still milling about turn to look towards the entrance door. It's Leafa! She's flying to get to Kirito, using her sword and dodging through a barrage of arrows to pick up his respawn flame or whatever, then barely making it through the door. She resurrects him and he's like thanks but I don't want to waste any more of your time, and she says he can't do it alone, but he says he has to try. Leafa grabs him from behind and tells him to stop and go back to the way he was, because he means so much to her.

Kirito tells her he has to go up there, he has to see her again. He has to see Asuna.

And can I just stop for a second and say how contrived it is that he hasn't said her name until now, and also how it's weird that Suguha knows Asuna's name and that she played under her screen name, and doesn't know that Kazuto is Kirito? Like, how would you have one piece of knowledge and not the other? Just seems odd.

Anyway, Leafa finally puts together that this character who looks just like Kazuto and has a name similar to Kazuto is actually Kazuto. She begins crying and saying that it's not fair. Kirito figures out it's Suguha, and she logs out.

Suguha's crying in her bed when Kirito knocks on the door. He's apologizing to her, and saying how she probably couldn't understand why he'd put the Nerve Gear on again, and she's like that's not it. She starts talking about how she betrayed her feelings and how when she met Kirito she was ready to give up the love she felt for him. He says love? But we're.. but she says something about how she knows she's not really his sister, and she knows he knew, and that's why he pushed her away. And then now she like, wishes he kept being a jerk to her instead of being nice and caring about her, and that's how she realized how she feels about him, and that's why she tried to forget about those feelings and be in love with Kirito and HWAT THE ACTUAL SHIT IS THIS SHOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom