• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar15| the smartest anime is back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOLDSFAN

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone!

I didn't get home till around 3, so I didn't watch any Toonami this week. I drank a bunch of really fruity drinks and generally had a good time.

Happy birthday! Congrats on sharing the same birthday as Justin Bieber!

http://www.dorkly.com/post/71853/anime-themed-pokemon-teams
2XJLRE1.jpg

ryGLsBt.jpg

Puruzi

Banned
Staraptor, Scizor, and Scrafty for Ryuuko, Cobalion and Mega Aggron for Satsuki and Ludicolo is Mako I assume?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Staraptor, Scizor, and Scrafty for Ryuuko, Cobalion and Mega Aggron for Satsuki and Ludicolo is Mako I assume?

The article has text explaining which is which.
Staraptor is Ryuko
Cobalion is Satsuki
Scizor is the Red Scissor Blade
Mega Aggron is Gamagori
Scrafty is the concept of losing clothes
Ludicolo is the plot.

... Basically, it's more Dorkly trying to be clever when they're not.

Crocodile

Happy Birthday to bigkrev!

Good luck to you Seda on your manuscript submission. Hopefully it get accepted without too much hassle or the need for major revisions.

I super appreciate the work this man has done for Toonami but damn does he have some bad ideas sometimes. To be fair, I guess we all do sometimes though :p

Props to her for singing in what is clearly her second language but it should come as no surprise that a native English speaker can produce a better English cover.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
One Piece - Thanks to MetatronM for explaining the history behind the Rumble Balls. I was kinda lost considering that hasn’t ever been satisfactorily explained during Toonami’s run of One Piece. The flashbacks were lost on me (who was the old women?) but I got the basic gist that apparently he’s done this before to tragic end. Monster Chopper looks equal parts scary and awesome. I can’t wait to watch Yo-Yoi guy have the everliving crap beat out of him (I hope)! However, next week is some “Boss Luffy” thing so I’m not even sure if we’ll see more of the battle. Rating: 3 Rumble Balls out of 4

That's Dr. Kureha, who Chopper generally refers to as Doctorine. It's a long story, but the short is that she's the one who gave him his medical training. She's a much too young 139 years old (the official explanation for her longevity is that she drinks lots of umeshu, or plum sake...either that or "it's One Piece, fuck you," whichever explanation you prefer).

That flashback, by the way, was new story, just in case you were wondering. The idea of Chopper having gone berserk on a village at one point had not been introduced to the series until now.

Better answer: go watch the Drum Arc. It's not too long!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 85

Right, so pretty much every episode from 81 up to the finale is actually a must watch as this stretch of episodes forms a true arc that all need to be watched one after another. It helps that the this is the strongest the writing and direction for the series has been over the course of the two seasons. If all of Sailor Moon R had been like this I might have been inclined to call it the strongest of the seasons.
Anyway, the upshot in this episode is that Wiseman has gotten into the head of Chibi-Usa and manipulated that extreme selfishness streak she has in her to its darkest logical conclusion. It appears that puberty is going to treat Chibi-Usa very well. Indeed TOEI animation is have noted the shapeliness of her ass like you wanted, I find myself confusaroused over it. Anyway, I still prefer Black Lady's faux teen angst over Chibi-Usa's pampered and spoiled postulations. At any rate, Black Lady and Dimande head back into the past to revive the black gate idea and the scouts also head back and since we have to stretch things out beyond this episode, Wiseman's brainwashing proves to be too effective right now and even the Sailor Scouts realize how dark and edgy things have gotten.

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 86

I Saphir shall never die! God damn TOEI animation, I have always hated your spoiler filled titles no matter what the anime. Anyway, this was the big focus episode for Saphir, younger brother of Dimainde and blandest of the Black Moon Clan. Anyway, this is the culmination of his arc and I be honest this is the weakest episode in this final serial arc, mainly because the narrative convenience was just working overtime beyond the point of believability.

For example, we have Wiseman just randomly ranting about his true plans and how he is in actuality an agent for the giant space flea out of nowhere for the season, Death Phantom and how he is using Dimande. The entire speech is very clearly engineered to finally get Saphir of his ass and do something about the situation and narrative convenience has it place, but this episode was just sloppy. Another good example is The Specter Sisters showing up randomly and Saphir just happened to teleport near them so they can have a pointless romantic connection I suppose for the sake of pathos but it is really isn't wanted or needed.

I could seriously just go on and on about this point but I think it has been made. I did however like the showcasing of abilities that Black Lady has and it made the fighting actually interesting for once. The end result of all this is Saphir indeed dies because Wiseman executes him before the vital information can be spell out but this was so brazen and since Saphir is still the bother, the seeds of doubt have been cast.

Seda

I believe there was a domain transfer last night for NeoGAF. My uninformed opinion is that avatars not loading might be a caching thing.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Equal opportunity fanservice. Let the ladies (and I guess a few dudes) have their fun, its the fair thing to do.
Agreed. Equivalent exchange. If people like me are allowed to have tons of fanservice involving women, I don't see any reason why others can't enjoy fanservice involving men.

Loved the concept behind ep 4 of Kill la Kill. Getting to school on time, the place you love to hate, but in Ryuko's case the one place she'll discover answers about her father's death. Last week we learned that she'll have a lot of opposition to face and one of them befriends her under false pretense. Cool to see a game maker participating in their own traps like that. The suicide fake out that ended with "kidding" had me laughing.

I love this show. No shame needed.

ckohler

Loved the concept behind ep 4 of Kill la Kill. Getting to school on time, the place you love to hate, but in Ryuko's case the one place she'll discover answers about her father's death. Last week we learned that she'll have a lot of opposition to face and one of them befriends her under false pretense. Cool to see a game maker participating in their own traps like that. The suicide fake out that ended with "kidding" had me laughing.

I love this show. No shame needed.

post-19715-Brent-Rambo-gif-thumbs-up-imgu-L3yP.gif

It's a fun show. :) Join us on Saturday for more.

Seda

Put briefly, so far I would say I am enjoying KLK more than AoT. Mainly because KLK is dumb but self aware. AoT is dumb but tries to be dramatic and falls on its face.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Maybe it's making a statement that if there's too much, the viewer grows tired of it & they get "used" to it, like "oh, yup, that's there". Sort of like you get used to Agent Aika's 175 panty shots within its original 4 episodes. You're just like "there's another" & shrug because it's just "there" now and its appeal is gone. Though think we need to get more episodes in to truly evaluate it. & FYI, no, I'm not teasing or anything, I'm kind of in the same boat because I wasn't trying to "analyze" KlK like most people were the first time around.

But yes, I will agree that despite being dumb, it's still more enjoyable when it's self-aware at how stupid/silly it is & decides not to take it seriously. Maybe that's why I really enjoyed Bo-Bobo as a kid, because some of the characters KNEW how stupidly insane their universe was, almost like a vessel of the average audience member.

Puruzi

Banned
KLK gets better the less seriously you take it. Just watch it without thinking about what's happening and enjoy the ride.

Also, the more you watch, the more you get used to the fanservice, like, it just becomes, hey that guy/girl is naked, ok. Late in the series I actually forgot they were wearing skimpy outfits while watching.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I now want a Space Dandy episode where they jump dimensions into the live-action world....then tries to find the Earth equivalent of Boobies.

Also now I want live-action Honey & Scarlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom